Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tim Burton's Wednesday (Netflix series)

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Default Tim Burton's Wednesday (Netflix series)

Surprised there was no thread about this already.

Tim Burton is working on a new Addams Family spin-off focused starring Jenna Ortega as Wednesday, Catherine Zeta Jones as Morticia, Luis Guzman as Gomez and Gwendolin Christie as Morticia's nemesis.

Christie will play Larissa Weems, the principal of Nevermore Academy who still has an axe to grind with her former classmate Morticia Addams (Zeta-Jones).

Rounding out the Addams clan are series regular Victor Dorobantu who plays Thing, the family’s non-verbal disembodied hand; recurring actors Issac Ordonez as Pugsley Addams and George Burcea as Lurch; along with Tommie Earl Jenkins (Mayor Walker), Iman Marson (Lucas Walker), William Houston (Joseph Crackstone), Luyanda Unati Lewis-Nyawo (Deputy Santiago), Oliver Watson (Kent), Calum Ross (Rowan), and Johnna Dias Watson (Divina).

The show will start filming this October in Romania, will be directed entirely by Burton and produced by the creators of Smallville. Imho we're probably going to see a mid 2022 release.

Personally I am a bit skeptical about Luis Guzman as Gomez, I don't really see him fitting the role, and nobody will ever top Raul Julia, but we'll see. I really hope this turns out good.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; September 23, 2021 at 05:50 AM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Tim Burton's Wednesday (Netflix series)

I don't like the fat Gomez...

But i will give it a chance.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Meh Tim Burton must be the most overrated film director of all time. Great animator though.

Tired of this remakes and attempts to play into our nostalgia.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Honestly I would have chosen Christina Ricci as Morticia, IMO she would be perfect

Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Approved. Is Wednesday not grown up?
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; September 30, 2021 at 07:54 AM.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Dammit querida, you should have spoilered that pic
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Nah, its quite modestly, querido.

But as here are people, which are not so open like we Addams, i will spoiler it.
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; September 30, 2021 at 05:36 PM.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Meh Tim Burton must be the most overrated film director of all time. Great animator though.

Tired of this remakes and attempts to play into our nostalgia.
    When has the movie/TV business not done the same? There is no lost golden age of the same show being recycled in a different form a movie remade. Hell its baked into western civilization do you know how many versions of the Orestes/house of Atreus story the Athenians knocked out over 200 or so years. Its not just one we have it was a lot - blood, gore, sex, betrayal all from different angle redone over and over. Once you know the audience knows the outline you save a lot time on boring exposition and get to the meat.
    Last edited by conon394; December 06, 2022 at 12:56 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Any update for season 2?

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

It has been a great success and it seems that Jenna Ortega is very committed to the series, it would be very strange if they did not do a second season, what is not known is when.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Yeah, big mistake not casting Christina Ricci as Morticia Addams. I saw a bit of the show and was not very impressed. It certainly doesn't stack up to the original films, which are legendary classics. I'll also have to agree with others here: there's simply no replacing Raul Julia as Gomez Addams. Those are big shoes to fill. Tim Burton's early films are still fantastic, but he has simply gone downhill as a filmmaker over the past two decades. Sleepy Hollow was probably his last really good film.

I put off watching that Amazon show The Boys forever, since I'm not a superhero fanboy, but I gave it a chance recently and was blown away by how wonderfully cynical it is. LOL. Now that's a show worth watching, and it has three seasons for you to binge if you're disappointed by this Netflix series and want something else right away. The very first episode has a moment that is about as shocking and as worthy as a cliffhanger as Jaime Lannister pushing Bran out the window at the end of episode #1 in Season One of Game of Thrones.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

I loved the Wednesday TV series. It is very well done IMO. It is a series that has a feel of... being made with love and "Meraki" <=== No translation for this world from Greek. Season 1 was not a cashgrab. It gave me the film that everyone involved loved their job. They didn't see it as a job, but as a lovely project and put care into it. I am not talking just about the chemistry of the actors, I mean the screen-writters, the developers, the people that shot the scenes, the people that made the scenery or chose it... very nice.

Also, I loved that in a show about diversity there's no forced diversity at all. There are all kinds and skin-colors involved. Including green and gray skins. Nobody is put on the pedestal by the producers for his or her skin color.
    There is an absolutely understandable lesbian couple of mothers with the show not making any deal about them being lesbians. There are probably a lot of queers in that school, but it was never made a big deal. You don't see people going "Ohhhh, Tony and Bob are suuuch a lovely couple!!!" Nobody gives a crap.
    Last edited by alhoon; January 04, 2023 at 09:15 AM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

I watched the series and loved season 1. Jenna Ortega was amazing and the show meets absolutely my sense of humour.

Although i wasn't very fond of the wooden Guzmann and Zeta-Jones. Which wasn't a big issue, as the series is about Wednesday.

A highlight of 2022.

Hopefully there will be a season 2.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Hopefully season 2 will be made with the same mindset and enjoyment as season 1. As for CZJ and Guzman... I would agree. They seem to enjoy their time in the TV series but they weren't what I was used to.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

I am going to love your reaction to Wednesdays romance with her roommate.

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    I watched the series and loved season 1. Jenna Ortega was amazing and the show meets absolutely my sense of humour.

Although i wasn't very fond of the wooden Guzmann and Zeta-Jones. Which wasn't a big issue, as the series is about Wednesday.

A highlight of 2022.

Hopefully there will be a season 2.

Of course you're gonna love Wednesday, Morticia. After all, she's your daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Drunk Penguin View Post
    Of course you're gonna love Wednesday, Morticia. After all, she's your daughter.
    Yeah, i'm very proud of her.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

I was never a fan of the Addams Family, but I am more surprised by Ricci being here. A bit of a relegation, no? :S
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    Raul Julia remains the best Gomez for me. I don't envy any actor who has to fill those shoes.
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Yeah he was a great Gomez.

Its hard to replace him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast