Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

Watched the first 3 episodes of the Mandalorian in a row. Works very well as a movie and it would have been the best SWars movie I've watched since Rogue One. I like it more than I liked the last two main Starworks movies.

I have little interest to go watch SW IX but my sister and my cousin's husband demand we go ASAP. So, while some of us resister (my sister's fiancé may resist, the dice are still bouncing on this one, negotiations are ongoing) I will go watch it and lose several hours supporting a movie I don't want to support.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Star Wars was built on a big old dollop of cliche with added tropes, a pinch of twee and a nice drippy scoop of schmaltz. After EP 2 I'm thinking it's closer to grizzled but good hearted old pro gets goofy with young cute side kick. It's a kids show. Looks great though and if it's funny I can live with it.

Utini!

Instead of cliches, Star Wars was built on time tested themes. George Lucas was heavily influenced by Joseph Campbell's "The Hero with a Thousand Faces", which is about the archetypal hero found in world mythology. The themese of these.myths found throughout the world strike a chord in ryr human pysche. 2hixh is why these myths and legends have remain so popular through time, and why the original Star Wars movies were so successful. And why the later Star Wars movies were not as good, since they got away from the tested by time mythic elements.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Watched the first 3 episodes of the Mandalorian in a row. Works very well as a movie and it would have been the best SWars movie I've watched since Rogue One. I like it more than I liked the last two main Starworks movies.

I have little interest to go watch SW IX but my sister and my cousin's husband demand we go ASAP. So, while some of us resister (my sister's fiancé may resist, the dice are still bouncing on this one, negotiations are ongoing) I will go watch it and lose several hours supporting a movie I don't want to support.
    I am not particularly interested in The Rise of Skywalker either, but I will probably go and see if 2 or 3 weeks after the movie is released. If the movie isn't still playing in theaters by then, the film must be bad, and so not worth seeing.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post
    Talking of Ster Wers, the Mandalorian is soooooooooooo bad. The final fight scene was just a rip-off of The Wild Bunch.
    The entire episode just jumped around so much, and no plot was laid out. The sole characterisation that occured was...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The mando's have lost all their dank armour, our fella is an orphan, and that's presumably what makes him feel sorry for Yoda's illicit love child
    So speaking of Lone Wolf and Cub... Almost exactly as you described last time.
    I enjoyed this show for what it was. The thing I like the most about it is how small and simplistic it is. Doesn't get too ambitious with grandeur or scale, I would watch it. But you're right it was extremely derivative. It also is full of Dave Filoni's characteristic issues seen in Clone Wars and Rebels. No real plot, no real characterization, really bad pacing and things just sort of happen just because.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Im of different opinion on the Mandalorian. I do find the new Trilogy terrible. But i do think Disney as done good with the Mandalorian, so far anyway.

Influence of westerns and Old Samurai movies is all over, which is what i dig. Did enjoyed the second episode, and the reference to Shogun Assassin.

Him walking around and doing stuff with the baby..
    The references to Japanese Samurai movies and Anime are off the charts. The best thing about copying anime is that people who aren't Japanese won't notice. It took more than a decade for people to notice when the Wakowski's or Joss Whedon did it.

I appreciated Werner Herzog but for me the best cameo was Carl Weathers. For those who don't know, he played Apollo Creed in the first four Rocky movies and was one of the soldiers in Predator.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; November 27, 2019 at 11:29 PM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post

I appreciated Werner Herzog but for me the best cameo was Carl Weathers. For those who don't know, he played Apollo Creed in the first four Rocky movies and was one of the soldiers in Predator.
    Of course I remember who Dillon is.

Of course. This show has a very interesting cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Star Wars was built on a big old dollop of cliche with added tropes, a pinch of twee and a nice drippy scoop of schmaltz. After EP 2 I'm thinking it's closer to grizzled but good hearted old pro gets goofy with young cute side kick. It's a kids show. Looks great though and if it's funny I can live with it.

Utini!
    After E4, I have to agree. It seems they're not going for something original, but they're building the show on tropes for some light-hearted amusement. And doing surprisingly good job with that.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    After E4, I have to agree. It seems they're not going for something original, but they're building the show on tropes for some light-hearted amusement. And doing surprisingly good job with that.
    The first five mins-ish had a cute gag overload, nothing wrong with that. Baby Yoda is a scene stealer so why not use him to the max. Then just as you think they're getting into some serious character introduction/development with the Mando/Dune fight, there he is again, stealing the scene. Cynics can moan and scoff at the Seven Samurai trope. Star Wars has a habit of playing to the next generation, and I'm still happy to live with that.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

I can’t wait for the next episode, it’s been great so far. The Seven Samurai element was a nice nod, as well as learning a little more about what happened to the rebels after the Empire fell.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Always nice to see Bill Burr playing himself, in whatever he is in.

Also, His guitar has spoken!

Last edited by Knight of Heaven; December 16, 2019 at 07:52 AM.

So it looks the new movie hasn't been very well received, by the critics and the press, so far. Besides the usual shills. Even the generous critics, are saying Rise of Skywalker is a forgettable movie, and the worst of the saga so far.
    Cant say im surprised.

Oh well at least we have the spaghetti Star Wars to console our self's.

There's two kinds of people Those with a blaster, and those who dig!
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; December 18, 2019 at 09:05 AM.

Yeah when you have critics like John Campea, Jeremy Jahns, and Chris Stcukmann saying they didn't like Rise of Skywalker.... ouch. As they are Star Wars fans, and usually very generous while reviewing movies, and specially Star wars movies.

A mean Vox gave it a 30? ouch!

"Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker is a defeat, even in moments of triumph"- Polygon
    https://www.polygon.com/reviews/2019...w-spoiler-free

"feelings like joy and wonder are smothered by a movie that so desperately wants to please a fractured fanbase that it doesn’t bother with an identity of its own. "
    https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/s...ie-review-2019

"Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker’ Review: What a Piece of Junk"
    https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/s...ie-review-2019

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Star Wars the The Legend of Korra Rise of Skywalker is so bad... Don't even know how to explain how bad this is. It feels less like a movie and more like a Netflix series that was edited into a movie.

Terrible exposition to set up its ridiculous bull crap premise that ing Palpatine is back but somehow everyone knows about it, since it is Po that delivers this disgusting piece of exposition in the first 20 minutes. Constant attempts to ignore Last Jedi, I just like to rub it in because that movie was also garbage. But Last Jedi completely threw this movie out of whack. The people making this one tried their best to not acknowledge it.

Rey is overpowered as all . People claiming Luke was a marry sue... Rey does things in this movie which literally no one has done. They don't even really have a plausible explanation for why Rey is this strong. She actually manages to defeat Palpatine, is dying or something, and then gets resurrected by Kylo Ren who then dies.

The puppets and CGI look exceptionally bad. There is a weird alien dude in the first 4 minutes that looks like something out of Roger Rabbit. There is other questionable CGI later on. Also some kind of gorilla dude which is the most uninspired looking alien in all of Star Wars. He just looks like a gorilla.

Characters become irrelevant as the movie goes on. The whole gang is pretty much just there and only Rey matters. Also they don't really have much chemistry, just choppy Avengers type of dialogue. You wouldn't even think that they're friends. Well really they aren't, not even in the movie. Rey barely knows Rose or Po.

A lot of the scenes from the trailer seem to be bait because they are only about a minute or two long. Noticeably the one where Kylo is fighting some dudes in the woods. It is just a short scene in the first 4 minutes but one that seems to have little or no bearing on the story. Basically it is just there to set up that Kylo is fighting the Rebellion 2.0 but seems completely pointless. This movie is just endless scenes edited together and it feels so tedious and choppy. The pacing and editing is pretty bad.

Nothing in this movie makes any sense whatsoever. Things happen just because they do. All of it is just complete ass pulls. How the is Palpatine back? Why did they waste Snoke? Why does Kylo become good? How does Rey become Avatar Jesus? Hearing them say Palpatine so casually is really annoying. Palpatine somehow has his own little army or goons or whatever. How did he get them? I don't know. Palpatine is actually a clone or something, or a ghost thing? Snoke was one of his puppets or fake bodies or something.

All of it is nostalgia baiting. The music, the plot, the characters, the scenes. More or less this is a copy of Return of the Jedi. Except there are no new pieces of music, they just reuse the old score. For example they explicitly remake the throne room scene from Return of the Jedi. They have speeder chases, some aliens dancing, they have that scene from New Hope where all the generals are sitting around and one of them gets choked out, they have the wreckage of the Death Star, they have Lando in a ship, they have a sort of space battle.

This was the biggest waste of Billy D ever. Granted I kind of smiled when I saw him but it was so damn forced. Doesn't really do much since the movie's editing and focus is so out of whack.

The ending was so cringe... Rey says triumphantly "I'm Rey Skywalker". Even though as far as I could tell she has no relation to any of them. Also I think Palpatine created her or she is related to Palpatine or some weird ? Whatever, who cares about these movies.

I could go on but there is no point.
    Basically all of the leaks about this movie were true. Everything you've heard, it's true, all of it.

To sum it all up this is easily the worst Star Wars movie. It is also one of the worst movies I have ever seen, it might even be worse than Last Jedi. Actually this movie feels like a YA novel, or fan fiction.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; December 20, 2019 at 12:57 PM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

John Doe's Avatar Primicerius

Saw it yesterday, and I share Lord Oda's disappointment. Even though I enjoyed the big plot "twist" that hold the 9 movies together, the action sequences or plot lines are either sensationalistic or you see them coming miles away. It's a generic good vs evil/David vs Goliath movie with no depth

Blog Entries

Any way. Last episode of Mandalorian was good, best episode yet...

Blog Entries

Rise of Skywalker.

all the haters. I waited 40 years for this and it doesn't disappoint. Yes they threw the kitchen sink at it, but why not, it's a story that started with Skywalker, the kid from some Nerf herding backwater who took on an empire. Yes there was lots of goofy crap on the way (especially those god awful prequels).

But it ended as it should, with the force balanced. And Chewie got his medal...

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

it ended like ep.6, the bad guys are dead, and one jedi left. i always wondered how people considered anything in the force balanced.

we could have had an ending where the old institutions are finally done with, no more rehashing of the the sith/jedi conflict that is at the core of EVERY SINGLE ING STARWARS NARRATIVE (except pedro and baby yoda. you are cool.)

but JJ, for all that he is a competent director, never had an original idea in his life. and the writer of *checks notes*....BvS and justice league..... oh, well.

but i feel an amount of schadenfreude at least. to all the babymen who on TLJ for being not exactly the same as their imagined version of star wars past, congratulations. you did it, disney gave you your hearts desire. a putpourri of all the beloved fanfiction..... i mean, expanded universe material that ever existed.

i hope you hate it
    Last edited by HannibalExMachina; December 23, 2019 at 08:18 AM.

Blog Entries

Rey is something else, light and dark. No more Jedi no more Sith. Is that not what you wanted!.

No pleasing some people..

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

ill give you that, JJ was in a bind and couldnt completely ignore TLJ. so he kept to the letter and just violated the spirit.

rey isnt explicity jedi, but she cant break with tradition either, or the manbabies will cry. her parents are nobody, but ACTUALLY her granddad isnt. she can make her own decisions, but only if she ends up being a skywalker after all. no more sith? we had that after ep.6, no sith for 2 movies, and now literally ALL the sith are in this. are they now destroyed? who cares, they can come back like palpatine did.

i know you can tell the difference between a pretense for the sake of keeping peoples wallets open, and making an actual change. every outcome of ROS will be ignored as easily. doesnt that piss you off a little bit? disney took the tiniest chance on TLJ, it made a bunch of money, but we will still end up with the same from decades past, for decades in the future. and thats sad.