Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Again, I didn't say that I disliked Rosario Dawson, you guys are missing the point. That of the hundreds of actors to play a role, they cast Rosario Dawson of all people seems strange to me. My guess is that she wanted to be in Star Wars and someone on the upper chain pulled some strings. Or did the person in charge of casting just wake up one day and said "you know what The Mandalorian needs? Rosario Dawson!". Anyway I am more annoyed by the fact that Ashoka Tano is in the series, just seems like more unnecessary fan bait and a deviation from what should just be a focus on the story. Hey lets put in Darth Maul as well. Kevin James also seems like a casting option, he can play a really old Dexter Jetster.
    Ashoka Tano is Filoni's brainchild, so... he puts her in his shows.
    Rosario Dawson looks close to Ashoka Tano, she's not unknown and has expressed interested in the role a few years ago. As such, she fits perfectly. If they picked OtherCandidate_4 instead of her, we could still be asking "But why OtherCandidate_4 among the hundreds of possible actresses?!"
    I.e. someone takes the job. Rosario Dawson seems a very good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    I do agree that Ashoka should probably not be in it since it's ridiculous she survived both the end of the Clone Wars, the Purge and the whole Empire period too without anyone ever knowing of her after the events of Rebels.
    She fought inquisitors during the Empire Period. She fought Vader during the Empire period.
    On the other hand... I don't know what the books etc have her doing after the events of Rebels. But Ashoka didn't want the spotlight so after the Empire fell it is VERY plausible she would merge with the background and go do "Generic good deeds" in corners of the galaxy... exactly like in Mandalorian. Not world altering necessarily, but important. The unsung heroes.

Sabine on the other hand, and the Darksaber, that's more important. How the Mandalorians lost the Darksaber is something that would be known. Of course, it could be that the guy with the Darksaber was a Mandalorian before joining the Empire. We will see.
    Last edited by alhoon; April 03, 2020 at 09:29 AM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    Twenty years ago, American and European stories were eminently white and straight, totally ignoring that there was much more to society than just that. Now much of society finds it ridiculous, abnormal, that, living surrounded by people of different races, backgrounds and sexuality, most movies continue to be the stories of heterosexual white guys (mostly men in the case of blcokbusters). That's it. Linking this with the topic of this thread: nine movies, a homosexual kiss in the background, an actress harassed for not being the archetype of Hollywood co-stars and the protagonist character criticized only for being female. Movies made in fear of criticism from the dominant conservative trash.

Edit: The horror!!!! Diversity!!! Twice!!!!!
    No Star Wars fan ever complained about having female protagonists. There are tonnes of female protagonists and characters.
    There are female characters which are as popular or more popular than say Luke Skywalker.
    Kreia, Bastila Shan, Satele Shan, Asaj Ventress, Mara Jade, Nomi Sunrider etc etc... and apparently Ashoka Tano.

The only reason no one likes Rey is because she is a character. Simple as.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; April 03, 2020 at 12:04 PM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    She fought inquisitors during the Empire Period. She fought Vader during the Empire period.
    On the other hand... I don't know what the books etc have her doing after the events of Rebels. But Ashoka didn't want the spotlight so after the Empire fell it is VERY plausible she would merge with the background and go do "Generic good deeds" in corners of the galaxy... exactly like in Mandalorian. Not world altering necessarily, but important. The unsung heroes.
    Yes I know but it seems really contrived that she always appears in between movies yet there is always a reason for her to disappear before a movie. She is a hero of the Clone Wars then she disappears in exile (because she was not shown in ep 3), than she re-appears during the start of the Rebellion yet she once again disappears just in time because she wasn't in the OT and now once again she reappers after the OT and then yet again she is not present in the ST. I would have preferred if she died killed by Vader in rebels, it would have been a really interesting and tragic ending to her character.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    No Star Wars fan ever complained about having female protagonists. There are tonnes of female protagonists and characters.
    There are female characters which are as popular or more popular than say LukeSkywalker.
    Kreia, Bastila Shan, Satele Shan, Asaj Ventress, Mara Jade, Nomi Sunrider etc etc... and apparently Ashoka Tano.
    You really hit a sensitive spot with Mara Jade. She is probably the most beloved female character in Star Wars fandom. Yet, she has been completely ignored in the new canon. For the life of me I can't understand why she has not been recanonised. They made Thrawn canon so why not Mara Jade?

And let us not forget Jan Ors that became Jin Erso.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I don't care for Ashoka what so ever. For me it only reinforces my dislike for Dave Filoni as a writer. The idea of giving the psychotic mass murderer Anakin Skywalker an apprentice is insane. According to all these people Ashoka is a great character, but I have no idea why or how. She seems like a really generic character to me. Where as Asaj Ventress, one of the best characters in both old material and TCW is completely wasted and killed off in some crappy book.

Not only is Mara Jade completely ignored but back in the day they went so far as to kill her off in the books to stir up controversy and sales. More or less what they did with Chewbacca as well.

Kreia is another character who despite being easily the best character in all of Star Wars, at the very least the most interesting, is completely ignored in everything after that. Barely a mention in that Revan book. Where as on the other hand making the Jedi Exile a female makes absolutely no sense and was a dumb decision. I despise Meetra Surik, I don't even like the name. Although "Meetra Surik" was barely a character anyway since her only appearance was in the Revan book.

All of this together with the decisions in Mandalorian are an indicator that Lucasfilm is run by incompetents. They're going to ruin the Mandalorian with all of this fan bait. Because lets face it the show isn't amazing, it was good enough to get me to watch it but it by no means exceeded any great expectations.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

You really hit a sensitive spot with Mara Jade. She is probably the most beloved female character in Star Wars fandom. Yet, she has been completely ignored in the new canon. For the life of me I can't understand why she has not been recanonised. They made Thrawn canon so why not Mara Jade?
    If they wanted to add Mara Jade's character, it would create large plot holes and issues. To do that properly they needed to put a LOT of focus on her. I.e. the new trilogy would have to spend a lot of time on introducing and developing Mara Jade. And then, it would certainly not have been what many of that fans wanted and you would have people saying how different the approach was from their head-canon and how bad they treated her for not taking X part of her story or Y part of her story.
    The developers had made a conscious choice to move away from Luke in the 3rd trilogy. Mara Jade would have made that impossible.

Yes I know but it seems really contrived that she always appears in between movies yet there is always a reason for her to disappear before a movie. She is a hero of the Clone Wars then she disappears in exile (because she was not shown in ep 3), than she re-appears during the start of the Rebellion yet she once again disappears just in time because she wasn't in the OT and now once again she reappers after the OT and then yet again she is not present in the ST. I would have preferred if she died killed by Vader in rebels, it would have been a really interesting and tragic ending to her character.
    She doesn't disappear during the rebellion. During the rebellion there were dozens of very important battlegrounds - you can easily assume she was somewhere else.
    Rogue One gave us a glimpse. Could Ashoka have been involved there? Yes, she could. Hera was involved there after all. That doesn't mean that SHE HAD to be there though. You can assume if you want that she was in Planet_732 stopping an Imperial plot to develop a chemical weapons or something. Or that she was in Planet_1125 helping important informers and leaders of the Rebellion to escape to Mon Calamari, being instrumental in the decision of the Mon Calamari to get in the Rebellion. Or that she was in Coruscant and saved Mon Mothma from assassination.
    Or a dozen other very important things that the movies didn't focus around.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

I just want a good set of stories that don’t pander to a small whiny minority of the viewership.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    I just want a good set of stories that don’t pander to a small whiny minority of the viewership.
    same here. those s alarmed because of the possibility of a gay couple or a woman taking the lead.

Blog Entries

same here. those s alarmed because of the possibility of a gay couple or a woman taking the lead.
    >Insert epic hand shake meme
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    It gets a lot easier to like it when you don't expect top quality sci-fi. George Lucas was never Iain M. Banks.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

CREEPIO is at it again.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Which ones there are so many.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    It gets a lot easier to like it when you don't expect top quality sci-fi. George Lucas was never Iain M. Banks.
    No one expects high brow sci-fi. But what we do expect is at least the same quality of stories that were previously written in star wars. Which since the Disney acquisition has taken a nose dive with some exceptions. For example, the latest Clone Wars episode has probably been the best piece of Star Wars media since Disney acquired it.

No one expects high brow sci-fi. But what we do expect is at least the same quality of stories that were previously written in star wars. Which since the Disney acquisition has taken a nose dive with some exceptions. For example, the latest Clone Wars episode has probably been the best piece of Star Wars media since Disney acquired it.
    Indeed. That episode was amazing. The animation was also lit. It almost looked like a movie in some instances. That Griveous Model for example.

It's pretty clear that they put in a lot more money into these episodes. A lot of the models look like they are of higher quality, the facial expressions are more detailed too.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Yos. So brave. Soooo brave.

"I love Disney. We should all love Disney. The bravery of putting 2 secs in of a lesbian kiss with no impact whatsoever on the rest of the story, and cutting those two secs out for any country where it would have been controversial. So brave. I love Disney. Anyone having the audacity to calling this a move is a himself. I love Disney. So brave. So diverse. Today's Star Wars has got something for anyone, except those preferring a cogent storyline with flawed heroes and antagonists strong enough to actually make the plot somewhat interesting. But the people who prefer that surely do so because they hate women, black people and gays. I love Disney, and if you don't, you're an alt right incel."
    - "Leftists" today.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

The bravery of putting 2 secs in of a lesbian kiss with no impact whatsoever on the rest of the story
    Why exactly do you care enough to worry about a tangential bit of two seconds?
    except those preferring a cogent storyline with flawed heroes and antagonists strong enough to actually make the plot somewhat interesting
    Err yes you now stories where imperial troops just watch an escape pod drift away(*). Last I looked according to X wing after playing it forever during grad school the cost of one shot was not the kind of thing you get canned for.Let's see than OK why not shoot the moon out of the way first? Time line compression without explanation in Empire strikes back. Stone age teddy bears beating storm troops - whom OB1 gives such a nice peon to in the first episode. And that is what you got a lesbian kiss in the background to complain about?

* Its not like they were wasting diamond tungsten tipped bolts made out of mostly unobtanium too boot - shoot away bros.
    Last edited by conon394; April 21, 2020 at 12:03 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Good news. The pattern has been followed. Star Wars has apparently gone downhill since the prequels started coming out. You know, since George Lucas has been handling them with consistency. So...Not sure what you were ever expecting Disney to do with the Sequels.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Good news. The pattern has been followed. Star Wars has apparently gone downhill since the prequels started coming out. You know, since George Lucas has been handling them with consistency. So...Not sure what you were ever expecting Disney to do with the Sequels.
    What are you talking about? But one of the best Star Wars content was made in the period during and after the Prequels: the KOTOR games (1 & 2), the Clone Wars TV series, the KOTOR and Legacy comic series, the Republic comic series, the Republic Commando series of novels, the Matthew Stover and James Luceno novels and so on.

Yea and my best experience with Star Wars was with the books that they threw out with the bathwater. But that's not exactly what I'm addressing here. So you can really take your red herring and throw it back into the great lake of the EU.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Indeed. That episode was amazing. The animation was also lit. It almost looked like a movie in some instances. That Griveous Model for example.
    It's pretty clear that they put in a lot more money into these episodes. A lot of the models look like they are of higher quality, the facial expressions are more detailed too.
    What are you talking about? But one of the best Star Wars content was made in the period during and after the Prequels: the KOTOR games (1 & 2), the Clone Wars TV series, the KOTOR and Legacy comic series, the Republic comic series, the Republic Commando series of novels, the Matthew Stover and James Luceno novels and so on.
    Oh man I still need to finish season 6 of Clone Wars, can't wait to watch the new episodes. Might actually get disney plus for it, not sure though.

The books and games were also good, the OG battlefronts, KOTOR, Force Unleashed, and although it was the only book I read, Karen Traviss' Clone Wars novel was great, really enjoyed it.

I've heard great things about the old books by Traviss about the clones (Order 66, 501st etc), or Zahn about the Empire from cookiegod, it's a shame that Disney doesn't do more of that. On the comics side of things, hiring Charles Soule was a good call, I enjoyed his 2017 Darth Vader run. It gave us some pretty cool moments. Haven't read any other comics, old or new.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Star Wars (2015) #2

Star Wars: Darth Vader (2016) #1

Darth Vader (2017) #12

Then we have The Mandalorian, which was pretty good. Alll that said, it doesn't make up for the shambles of the sequel trilogy or Solo.

It's incredibly difficult to give disney a modicum of respect when they regularly deliver slaps in the face to the franchise like this, completely disregarding the work of EU writers and EU comics. What a piece of work that woman is.

The content that Disney has put out, along with their missed opportunities and public relation blunders with the Star Wars IP warrants deep criticism.