Thread: First Impressions of Ultimate General - I suggest this forum changes its name to ultimate general!

Default First Impressions of Ultimate General - I suggest this forum changes its name to ultimate general!

This game is a lot of fun but does move to fast for my tastes.

So far it does not hold a candle to scourge of war. But is a very fast game that one can play in a reasonable time without
    any of the obscurity of poorly thought out and controlled interfaces that games like scourge of war have.

Things I have noticed so far:

No ammunition
    No horse artillery
    No zoom to individual men - at least I have not counted the men yet!!! I should.
    Sprites look like scourge of war sprites
    Lack of any real control
    The friendly AI just seems to do whatever it wants
    Very hard to see terrain and how it blocks things atm
    There is no way of telling if the neighbouring units are lifting morale
    There is no order delay and no messenger system as there is in scourge of war
    No campaign currently but you do choose between missions what battlefield or tactic to choose next
    Does have off map re-enforcements
    Does have moral - units are affected and they do regroup but usually with horrible morale
    Units are insanely hard to actually kill or permanently route
    other than infantry snipers sharpshooters and cavalry are on a tiny scale and it really makes you realise how little impact they have overall but locally can have
    Cannot control unit speed
    Cannot control formations
    No small unit tactics at all really

I am happy enough though as this is what I thought it was. Unity of command in a real time title.

Basically I want scourge of war with these graphics. Unity of command is ok but I need more detail and more options to play with. I need regimental level command rather than brigade and army level.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

Default Re: First Impressions of Ultimate General - I suggest this forum changes its name to ultimate general!

Ammunition, IMO doesn't really matter. It's more of a pointless piece of detail than an actual gameplay element, especially when the phases of the battle only last a fixed time.

Horse drawn artillery, too - the maps aren't big enough or the cannons huge enough to warrant horses to haul them.

Zooming to individual men isn't really possible because they're just sprites, not 3d models.

Most of your other comments are mainly observations, so I won't comment on them.
    modificateurs sans frontières

Developer for Ancient Empires
    (scripter, developed tools for music modding, tools to import custom battle maps into campaign)

Lead developer of Attila Citizenship Population Mod
    (joint 1st place for Gameplay Mods in 2016 Modding Awards)

Assisted with RMV2 Converter
    (2nd place for Warscape Engine Resources in 2016 Modding Awards)

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Default Re: First Impressions of Ultimate General - I suggest this forum changes its name to ultimate general!

No comments on anything other than the forum name issue you brought up. The forum name was deliberately chosen to represent the publisher/developer, as are most of our forum names in the Other Games section. For instance Bioware and Bethesda and Slitherine. They all make multiple games, if we created a forum for each game visible from the forum index it would be ridiculously huge. Game-Labs has this game and a couple of others they are working on including a naval battle game and a survival game they haven't named yet. This gives them a single place to discuss all of their products, and if one of them really takes off they can have a subforum inside this forum specifically for that game.

nigelnire's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Destraex View Post
    This game is a lot of fun but does move to fast for my tastes.
    Been playing for the last hour and I agree that its way too fast, It could do with the speed being reduced by 75% but having said that there is great potential in this game, slow it way down and it will be really good..

Hello everyone

For those whom remenber Sid Meyer´s Gettysburg and played it both single and multiplayer know the game was Superb!!! one of best games ever but old lol

I dont know if the devellopers of this new game have tried Sid Meyer´s gettysburg because they could learn so much like:

- Comander corps can issue formations(like double line , skirmish,line,movement formation etc and movement for all brigades they command. This makes control and deploying and movement much better. Brigader general for his units also.

-Each unit has a Flag that represents the moral or the streght of the unit( the player can choose).

And many other aspects .....

For me Sid meyers gettyburg was near perfection what this kind of game should be , a remake with some new improvements would be exelent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS986jTnWBA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAWl...B036F627F033C8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz0e9T5M8E8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vuj_9mKJEtg
    Last edited by Mimoxx; June 25, 2014 at 06:08 AM.

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

i did remember the battleground series and the first one for me was gettysburg at that time.

Played it for about an hour last night. Very fun. It reminds me of Waterloo: Napoleon's Last Battle.

I would like the ability to edit size of units when creating a custom battle. I would also like a volley fire option as well.

Game has great potential ! Looking forward to MP !

I love this game darth but I wish you had a civil war music track it would make it gold!!! Anyway great work!!!