Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: >>>Ultimate General: Gettysburg Feedback<<< v0.9 [UPDATE 18/9/2014]

Default >>>Ultimate General: Gettysburg Feedback<<< v0.9 [UPDATE 18/9/2014]

In this thread you can write your opinions about Ultimate General: Gettysburg. Please read the summary of features below.
    New patch 0.9 is out. Read the news:
    http://steamcommunity.com/games/3066...24979554201538

We would appreciate your feedback for everything, especially gameplay and multiplayer.
    We tried some things that would affect positively the performance but not sure how it could affect the gameplay speed. Please notify us if you are satisfied with current combat pace, if you would like it faster or slower or is it just right, so we optimise in our release version.
    Multiplayer has got many improvements and bug fixes along with Mac support. Your playtesting and participation will help us to improve further and expand its functionality. I will personally be there as frequently as I can to battle with you all!

We hope that you will like all the changes. Let us know, it helps!

Enjoy,

Game-Labs

---------------------------------------
    Patch history

18/9/2014
    The new update includes various AI & Gameplay improvements and bug fixes. Furthermore, we have integrated an advanced log report functionality which will assist us to find any remaining bug.
    Patch notes: http://www.ultimategeneral.com/blog/...-patch-hotfix2

15/9/2014
    We have uploaded the urgent hotfix version 0.91. It is first available for PC users. Mac users will get it tomorrow as soon as possible.
    Patch notes: http://steamcommunity.com/games/3066...24979910587526

12/9/2014
    Our next update leads Ultimate General: Gettysburg closer to final release. Multi-saves capability, Multiplayer fixes and new maps, AI & Gameplay enhances, the 4th day of the battle and other new features and improvements enrich the game experience!
    Patch notes: http://www.ultimategeneral.com/blog/...-release-patch

14/8/2014
    We introduce Order of Battle and Statistics to the game along with Decision Maps… and finally we offer the first Multiplayer version! Present multiplayer server supports only 100 players. We are going to extend the number on Friday.
    Patch notes: http://www.ultimategeneral.com/blog/...thpatch-hotfix

31/7/2014
    The 6th patch brings AI and gameplay mechanics improvements that provide enhanced realism and challenge. Furthermore, we have refactored the rendering code that previously caused freezes and CTD.
    Patch notes: http://www.ultimategeneral.com/blog/...thpatch-hotfix

19/7/2014
    We finalise the weekly 5th patch with various polishes to AI and gameplay, some bug fixes and the first version of 3D animated menu.
    Patch notes: http://www.ultimategeneral.com/blog/...thpatch-hotfix.

17/7/2014
    We provide an urgent hotfix patch 0.84 which includes some major targeting bug fixes that affected very negatively the AI, better Mac stability, more battle flow fixes and important polishes to the gameplay mechanics.
    Patch notes: http://www.ultimategeneral.com/blog/...eased-5thpatch

12/7/2014
    Patch 0.83 is dedicated to major battle flow fixes. You will be able to play the battle of Gettysburg in all possible sequences, up to 6 phases, without the previous annoying premature battle ends. AI & Gameplay improvements are included as well.
    Patch notes: http://www.ultimategeneral.com/blog/...eased-4thpatch

5/7/2014
    0.82 patch brings Mac support (Very soon it will be enabled) and focuses on major AI & Gameplay improvements that were needed according to user feedback. Of course there were many essential bug fixes that make the game much more stable and we have addressed the annoying save bugs that could prevent you to continue your battle campaign normally.
    Patch notes: http://www.ultimategeneral.com/blog/...eased-3rdpatch.

27/6/2014
    Many things you have asked to improve or fix are now available in our newest patch. Important new features are the elevation map layer and the revamped, more realistic combat pace accompanied by an enhanced AI. Have a look at the patch notes: http://www.ultimategeneral.com/blog/...eased-2ndpatch

18/6/2014
    First patch is live now. It offers Group formations, AI & Gameplay improvements and many important bug fixes. You can read the full list of changes at this link: http://www.ultimategeneral.com/blog/...eased-1stpatch

Main Features

Smart AI Commanders

Ultimate General: Gettysburg does not use "AI gameplay cheats" because it does not need them. The game's difficulty is accomplished only by nine distinctive AI personalities, each with their own advantages and special skills. AI Commanders are able to evaluate and gain tactical superiority in real time, reacting according to their different commanding skills, aggressively or defensively, heroically or cunningly and resemble different, competent human players.

Multi-Day Dynamic Battle

On the morning of July 1st 1863, the two armies meet near Gettysburg. Reinforcements arrive from historically accurate directions as the battle progresses, however, random events, delays and tactical differences are always a possibility that can change the results of each engagement compared to history.

Can you re-enact Pickett's Charge? What if Lee attacked the center of the Union Army early in the morning of July 2nd of 1863 instead of attempting to flank the extreme left in the afternoon? What would happen if Meade counter-attacked on July 4th 1863? These questions and more can be answered within the game engine of Ultimate General: Gettysburg.

The battle is dynamically fought in time phases and can last up to 4 days. Each day can be separated by up to 3 time phases and the armies' condition and positioning on the map are saved.
    According to battle events, you have the possibility to take decisions that can change the tide of the battle based on your prior tactical prowess.

For example, when leading the Confederates, on the morning of July 2nd, you can choose to attack at Cemetery Hill and not make a delayed flanking maneuver at Peach Orchard... if you have managed to take Seminary Ridge the previous day! You can even choose to defend and wait for your AI opponent to take the initiative between days. These choices will greatly increase the number of possible battle outcomes and challenges.

Detailed Map of Gettysburg

Utilizing satellite images and historical maps, every major location, house, ridge and hill are depicted as accurately as possible within the game's unique art style. If you are an American Civil War enthusiast, you will be especially happy to notice the amount of precision and information that the map provides. Not only will you be able to better understand the historical layout of the map, you will also be able to make use of each location and landmark in battle, thanks to the simulation of cover, concealment, terrain and high ground in the game.

Historically Accurate Forces and Leaders

Ultimate General: Gettysburg includes the full order of battle for the Union Army of the Potomac and the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia. Unit sizes will range from the small artillery batteries to vast infantry brigades with cavalry and skirmishers in between.
    All brigades have troop numbers and differing competencies based on historical facts. Additionally, all artillery battery numbers and types are correctly simulated. Lastly, major generals and officers actively participate in the battlefield to organize and support the armies and will also appear in after action battle reports to help you monitor battle progress.

Easy Controls & Unit Self-Awareness

Drag simple movement arrows to command large forces easily. Units do not need your micromanagement because they are able to act on their own initiative and re-align, switch targets, withdraw and form battle lines without player input. Consequently, you are able to give generic commands to your units and can rely on them to fight efficiently without the need for "babysitting".

Advanced Line of Sight

Elevation and obstructions will affect unit visibility realistically. Units may make use of concealment and cover to survive artillery barrages, stage ambushes and more, but beware - the AI will attempt to do the same to you. The units enter or exit the Fog of War gradually with a fade in/out effect that helps you perceive their hiding and course seamlessly.

Numerous Tactical Factors

In Ultimate General: Gettysburg, you will realize that army units are not "machines" that blindly follow orders, but will need to conserve strength and courage for decisive battle actions. Every basic tactical element that is expected for a strategy game is incorporated into gameplay. Most importantly, morale is affected by many factors including flank or rear attacks, casualties, volley shocks, artillery fire and fatigue.

Furthermore, every inch of the map has a strategic role. Sloping, terrain type and obstructions will affect unit movement realistically. Elevations, ridges and hills provide excellent firing positions and give increased sight, morale and accuracy to troops stationed there.

By placing your units close to each other, they become more resilient to charges and flank attacks but get more vulnerable to projectile fire. Thus, forcing your enemy to keep his lines dense while you shell him with artillery can be a valid tactic. As the condition of your units changes dynamically during the battle, the effectiveness of your whole army is affected. For example, units fire more coordinated volleys when they have high morale and have more discipline and tight formations.

These and many more deep gameplay mechanics are packed into a simple and intuitive GUI that aims to ease the game experience for the player without overwhelming with complex statistics.

Custom Battles

Different AI Commanders and the dynamic multi-day battle will provide countless ways to enjoy the Battle of Gettysburg every time you replay it. The replayability increases with additional custom battles.

As you fight the Multi-Day Battle of Gettysburg, you can unlock dozens of speculative scenarios that you may play afterwards for quick battles, either randomized or with full unit strength and default army deployments.

New patch is out! 31/7/2014 The 6th patch brings AI and gameplay mechanics improvements that provide enhanced realism and challenge. Furthermore, we have refactored the rendering code that previously caused freezes and CTD. Patch notes: http://www.ultimategeneral.com/blog/...thpatch-hotfix

Ultimate General: Gettysburg is developed by Game Labs and designed by Nick Thomadis, known for his successful and popular "DarthMod" series.

With this first project, Game Labs wishes to give birth to a new strategy brand that will gradually evolve and expand into different eras.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: >>>Ultimate General: Gettysburg Feedback<<<

Quite important, didn't see it in there:

Player-friendliness: There are 4 non-intrusive boxes so you know without having to click, check or anything how your chosen unit fares.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Hello. My constructive feedback is to slow down the speed of the game; it is like the sprites are on speed...racing around the map like little ants. That's my most basic suggestion; the other features are really good.

Thank you.

Apoll

nigelnire's Avatar Decanus

First off my best Wishes Darth and I hope the game is a great success. My first impressions last night were good, graphically looked good , love the tabletop battle idea. However it is ruined by the speed a unit can cover a mile in less than a min and you do not have time to think tactically. Slow it right down and it has the potential to be great but right now everything is four times faster than it should be making it an Arcade bash and this game is much better than that :-)

Thanks all for first feedback coming here!
    Yes speed/pace of battle is something that will be even more fixed in the coming patch as well as other things that affect AI and make also CS overpowered and easy to win with them... for the moment

Why not command orders to units under corps generals or brigadiers generals ?

Corp Generals should command and control a group of units(Brigades) , order them to walk , form a line , double line ,hold , etc .

Brigadiers Generals , lower than corps generals should control a Battalion. The player should be allowed to detach some unit(s) from the brigadie if need .

Graphics are ok but gameplay is arcade !!! no good control over units , u should have a arrow to see where are u fire at and being fire etc etc !!!!!

In one word game lacks on gameplay control, i dont want to compare games , but 15 year Sid Meiers Gettysburg has better controls to offer to a player !! Just try it Vader and you will understand better what im saying and what ULtimate general needs .
    Last edited by Mimoxx; June 25, 2014 at 04:35 PM.

nigelnire's Avatar Decanus

After playing a lot more all I can say is Wow!! So often I’ve built my hopes up and looked forward to a games release for example Rome 2 only to feel robbed and let down by the product but Ultimate General Gettysburg is brilliant ,great fun and totally addictive. It’s only an early release but already one of my favourite games.

A little more feedback from me I’m actuality getting used to the speed so don’t think it needs reduced as much perhaps 20-30% max so long as it doesn’t mess up the Ai because the Ai in this game is the best ive seen and that includes the excellent Take Command 2nd Manassas and SOW.

Would be good if the units morale was a little higher they seem to break a little too easily, it would be great if they slugged it out longer. Also if the timer could be extended longer perhaps by 50% Not big issues because my money has been well spent on this game and im a very happy customer ,Well done Darth and team.

I love this game, its a crap ton of fun and I love trying out different strategies. The only complaints I can even think of are that lately ive been having this bug where the game will just freeze for a few seconds like three times then just freeze outright. Another issue is that I have a hard time seeing the height difference between hills, ridges, and flat area. Otherwise its a great game.
    Any Veterans of the Afghanistan/Iraq wars join my group. Im trying to get a Veterans group started on here.

Thanks Darth

I have purchased the game as a thank-you for the countless hours you and your team have given me with your TW mods. Once I get some time I will play the heck out of this game and provide feedback. Looking forward to it

grouchy13's Avatar TW Mercenary Veteranii

Loving the game, really enjoying on the harder difficulties!!! Even if after the Battle periods I seem to draw stalemates. Keep up the good work guys!

PS Looking to forward to your Austerlitz installment of Ultimate General
    Under the Patronage of the Venerable Jom Patron of the one true Shogun wealthmonger, Antipodean son IZob, Terrifying Sultan of the Blitz totalwar_legend & Warden of the Iron Throne Dux

27/6/2014
    Many things you have asked to improve or fix are now available in our newest patch. Important new features are the elevation map layer and the revamped, more realistic combat pace accompanied by an enhanced AI. Have a look at the patch notes: http://www.ultimategeneral.com/blog/...eased-2ndpatch

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH VADER View Post
    27/6/2014

Vader still not unit streght or experience !!!! 1 star green troops . 2 star veteran , 3 star elite (example) so for the moment in this game unit streght is numbers only !!! ( check Sid Meirs gettysburg game )

I would like if you could be able to split of troops from one of the larger divisions so you can make them useful. Those units that have 2000 or more men in them. There are just to many men in that unit that are being wasted on the back line. So that's why i think you should be able to detach a certain number of men from a unit.
    Last edited by TheDarkKnight; June 28, 2014 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Hard to read text

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: >>>Ultimate General: Gettysburg Feedback<<< v0.81 [UPDATE 27/6/2014]

Would be cool if there we could choose column and line formation to move our units around the battlefield. Not sure about the fatigue system either but it never seems as if units slow down.

Overall, really enjoying this game...sooo easy to pick up and play and have fun.... whatever you do with changes don't lose that ethos. This is not Scourge of War or Total War!

mramazingfuntime's Avatar Civis

Default Re: >>>Ultimate General: Gettysburg Feedback<<< v0.81 [UPDATE 27/6/2014]

My first feedback is that you should include conflicts other than the American Civil War - the game engine looks competent, so use it to simulate things like the Franco-Prussian War, the Russo-Turkish War, or, maybe, the Russo-Japanese War! Limitless possibilities!

Love it! Simple to play and no micromanagement but tons of tactical decisions to make and the game is different every time. So good I am going to buy it again when the I pad version comes out.

Great patch! I cant wait to try it out, hopefully my copy will stop freezing at random points.
    Any Veterans of the Afghanistan/Iraq wars join my group. Im trying to get a Veterans group started on here.

There is save file problem that we will fix asap. This causes freezes and invisible units if you try to load your previous battle.

Default Re: >>>Ultimate General: Gettysburg Feedback<<< v0.82 [UPDATE 5/7/2014]

New patch is available!

5/7/2014
    0.82 patch brings Mac support (Very soon it will be enabled) and focuses on major AI & Gameplay improvements that were needed according to user feedback. Of course there were many essential bug fixes that make the game much more stable and we have addressed the annoying save bugs that could prevent you to continue your battle campaign normally. Patch notes: http://www.ultimategeneral.com/blog/...eased-3rdpatch.

Andre J. Jassoch's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: >>>Ultimate General: Gettysburg Feedback<<< v0.82 [UPDATE 5/7/2014]

great! im looking forward to this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast