Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: [Download] Authentic Ancient World 0.05

Agrez's Avatar Civis

Default Re: New Project: Authentic Ancient World

Hey Fellas i wanted to say thanks to my very special friend Alec and wanted to share a preview of a Seleucid unit that will come after we will do the factions that are planned enjoy the Silver Shield Swords

Impressive work on those Silver Shileds!!!

Hetairos's Avatar Roma Surrectum II

Default Authentic Ancient World [CORE]

I've added the Authentic Ancient World [CORE] modification to the Steam collection and the TWC forum. The exact change log of the modification will reveal all the changes that have been made until now. Some of the most prominent changes are:

- Dat Famous Naval & Siege Warfare Overhaul from the AAW origins ^^
    - The gorgeous and elegant fix of missile combat mechanics (constant drops from the first volley to the last)
    - Camera Overhauls, Historical and Authentic Unit Spacing-Ranks-Numbers, New Animations, Battle & Campaign Balances
    - many many more major and minor changes...
    Last edited by Hetairos; May 21, 2014 at 07:15 PM.

better sieges yeah!

Default News

• Per requests, we plan to adjust the starting date of Authentic Ancient World to be 217 BC, just like in RSII.
    • We have almost no resources, so everyone who can contribute to this project is very very welcome!
    • We gained permission from many of the top developers to make use of their awesome models and textures.

A big thank you to those generous people!
    Last edited by Hetairos; May 24, 2014 at 02:15 PM.

That's epic! I think this mod will be fantastic a couple of months down the road!

Default UI & Faction Groups

I just updated the UI mods and removed all vanilla emblems. Furthermore, I want to present you our faction groups for the Grand Campaign:

• Diádokhoi
    • Rômaíoi
    • Sarmátai
    • Skýthoi
    • Héllênes
    • Germánoi
    • Galátai
    • Italoí
    • Anatolítai
    • Thrákioi
    • Kéltoi
    • Íbêroi
    • Karkhêdónioi
    • Prettanoí
    • Árabioi
    • Aphroí

By adding the Sarmatians and Scythians (at least as faction groups), we will add a little bit of the feeling of RSII. I really think that the generic term Nomadic Tribes feels pretty bland. I myself am way more happy to put the Sarmatian and Scythian people in a more prominent place. Furthermore we aim to generate a more immersive feeling of antiquity, so we decided to present the faction groups in Ancient Greek.

Feedback is welcome!

We will now work on:

• RSII-like Faction Icons
    • Faction names: We will most probably rename all factions into Ancient Greek vs Latin (and some major native languages) depending on the cultural and historic influence. That way we aim to represent a more authentic and exotic feeling depending on the cultural and regional aspects of the world.

Opinions are welcome!

Furthermore, we are desperately looking for skilled people who could contribute to our cause by compiling faction group and faction descriptions for 217 BC. We are also looking for someone who could take over the task to create a logo for Authentic Ancient World, inclusive with a few sexy TWC signatures for our modification. We would highly appreciate any hand to help us out to pursuit the Legacy of RSII.

Contributors are welcome as well!

Cheers
    Alec
    Last edited by Hetairos; May 29, 2014 at 10:00 AM.

Default Faction Names "Poll"

I am currently sitting down and working on the faction names. I am curious about peoples preference about faction names. If you like share your opinions. Would you like option 1 or 2?

1. it to be more consistent (e.g. just Greek vs Latin dominated parts of the word)
    2. a complete renaming according to the native languages of factions and regions (e.g. in that case there will be punic, berber, persian, armenien and many more languages involved!).

Now, it is your chance to speak up.
    Last edited by Hetairos; May 25, 2014 at 04:48 PM.

I thought you might like this Alec

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Default News 28/05/2014

• (!) We will most certainly get Authentic Ancient World a place in the Hosted Modifications section of TWC soon.
    • (!) We have a growing amount of developers who are willing to contribute to Authentic Ancient World.

After Gagonious (Unit Designer), we got the application of Hleoric (Texturer) and Sebidee (DB Editor) to contribute to AAW. It was a very nice surprise to see people willing to team up and work together on a common goal. We are now sorting out our set up and hope to be able to start working with those wonderful people soon.

PS: If you like the idea and principles behind Authentic Ancient World and can contribute as well, please do so. We are still looking for more crew members from developers to artists (e.g. we still do not have an Authentic Ancient World emblem and a corresponding forum signature).

Default Maintenance and Reorganization

Update: I've currently took down the released download links for maintenance and reorganization this weekend.

Default News 31/05/2014

Ok, time for a recap and what's happening right now. I pushed hard the last week to make it possible that things happen in future. Here are the results:

- we have access to the Roma Surrectum II developers database
    - we have access to the models and textures of some of the most prominent developers out there
    - we have the chance to get the modification hosted on TWC
    - we have the chance to look forward of a collaboration and exchange with the RTR team

Overall I've talked with the following people to join our ranks or simply give us a helping hand:

- Gigantus (Hosting the Modification)
    - dvk901 (RSII Developers Database)
    - JaM, LesTaT and the RTR team (Collaboration)
    - Gagonious (Unit Designer)
    - Hleoric (Texturer & Modeler)
    - Sebidee (DB Editor)
    - Idreaus (DB Editor)
    - Wolfman (Texturer & Modeler)
    - ChampLoo (Texturer & Modeler)
    - Macklers (RSII and RTR Music Import)
    - taker & vader (Texturers & Modelers)
    - Rafkos (Text Editor, Texturer & Modeler)
    - Barune (DB Editor)*
    - Lord Buio (Texturer & Modeler)*
    - Marshall of France (Research)*
    - Dresden (DB Editor)*

Skins, Textures and Models Permissions:

- Ahiga
    - Artstudio*
    - Dresden
    - FaLKReN
    - gustave*
    - KLAssubinapal
    - L'aigle*
    - Little Legionnaire
    - Meneros
    - Miri82*
    - Octavian21 aka Kaziel
    - Pdguru
    - Prometheus ts
    - remoteriver*
    - SilentResident
    - VINCXIII

*personally had no fixed answer / message yet, but good chances of helping us out from what I've heard from other team members talking with them.

Now, there are a lot of names and permissions. Our primary task right now is to make all those fundamentals working!!! It would be a pity fi we do NOT use all those creative people and those assets. We need a good working set up, get each other to know and so we can start to work eventually ^^. Puhhh... I hope this will happen.

At the moment we are short of concepts, game designs, so we hope we will get your assistance to jumpstart this process once the mod gets hosted (or better said: IF it gets hosted). Unfortunately, first we need a concept before we let the dogs out and start to mod, texture and reskin all the things hehe.

Cheers
    Alec

PS: I took down the download links this weekend to reorganize everything. We will most probably at the beginning work on "NON" modular files as it is easier to collaborate with and tweak a non fragmented working paper. I was able to redo and polish the UI, which is already ready to re-release. The 217 BC campaign scenario is in the making just right now.
    Last edited by Hetairos; May 31, 2014 at 09:27 AM.

Default Re: News 31/05/2014

Quote Originally Posted by alecwermuth View Post
    Ok, time for a recap and what's happening right now. I pushed hard the last week to make it possible that things happen in future. Here are the results:

- we have access to the Roma Surrectum II developers database
    - we have access to the models and textures of some of the most prominent developers out there
    - we have the chance to get the modification hosted on TWC
    - we have the chance to look forward of a collaboration and exchange with the RTR team

Overall I've talked with the following people to join our ranks or simply give us a helping hand:

- Gigantus (Hosting the Modification)
    - dvk901 (RSII Developers Database)
    - JaM, LesTaT and the RTR team (Collaboration)
    - Gagonious (Unit Designer)
    - Hleoric (Texturer & Modeler)
    - Sebidee (DB Editor)
    - Idreaus (DB Editor)
    - Wolfman (Texturer & Modeler)
    - ChampLoo (Texturer & Modeler)
    - Macklers (RSII and RTR Music Import)
    - taker & vader (Texturers & Modelers)
    - Rafkos (Text Editor, Texturer & Modeler)
    - Barune (DB Editor)*
    - Lord Buio (Texturer & Modeler)*
    - Marshall of France (Research)*
    - Dresden (DB Editor)*

Skins, Textures and Models Permissions:

- Ahiga
    - Artstudio*
    - Dresden
    - FaLKReN
    - gustave*
    - KLAssubinapal
    - L'aigle*
    - Little Legionnaire
    - Meneros
    - Miri82*
    - Octavian21 aka Kaziel
    - Pdguru
    - Prometheus ts
    - remoteriver*
    - SilentResident
    - VINCXIII

*personally had no fixed answer / message yet, but good chances of helping us out from what I've heard from other team members talking with them.

Now, there are a lot of names and permissions. Our primary task right now is to make all those fundamentals working!!! It would be a pity fi we do NOT use all those creative people and those assets. We need a good working set up, get each other to know and so we can start to work eventually ^^. Puhhh... I hope this will happen.

At the moment we are short of concepts, game designs, so we hope we will get your assistance to jumpstart this process once the mod gets hosted (or better said: IF it gets hosted). Unfortunately, first we need a concept before we let the dogs out and start to mod, texture and reskin all the things hehe.

Cheers
    Alec

PS: I took down the download links this weekend to reorganize everything. We will most probably at the beginning work on "NON" modular files as it is easier to collaborate with and tweak a non fragmented working paper. I was able to redo and polish the UI, which is already ready to re-release. The 217 BC campaign scenario is in the making just right now.
    My excitement just raised 10-fold. With such an experienced, talented team... anything is possible! Just need to get a few scripters

Any word about porting the RSII music in?

Default Re: News 31/05/2014

Don't get too excited just right now, but spare the excitement once we start working and releasing content

As you already mentioned, we are currently short of the following positions: researchers / concept designers / artists / scripters / writers. If you know a guy that knows a guy (and so on...) who might be able to help us, please give us a shout! It's not important to be a super talent, but rather be motivated, eager to learn and just enjoy creating content.

About the music, we are currently trying to create a RSII, EB and RTR Music Project. We are still trying to get access to the music in the correct format and of course getting the permission to use the copyrighted work. This will definitely take a while until we know more about if we be able to bring this to life or not.

pheww, finally managed to get on here, Alec has been working me relentlessly, the last thing I remember hearing is "your not coming out until you finish those shields for the Hellenic factions" then the door slammed shut and then I heard the lock o.O . tell a lie he said no pressure . Okay anyway here is a little teaser for the shields I've finished for the Hellenic factions.

Here are 12 shields i finished and there are another 25 shields patterns still to come (nearly finished the normal maps), various silver shield and bronze. the hoplon shield has been retextured both bronze and silver and gives off a cool look in game
    Hope you guys like the work

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

And the above shields in the silver shield variant

and a unit in game using the Macedonian Hoplon pattern

Also guys a little note. now that I have joined AAW as an artist/texturer, my Romanorum Acies mod artwork I've completed is now available to be used for AAW when we get to the roman faction. so everything you guys have seen on that thread is not going to waste. so historical legions shields, armour everything will be appearing in AAW ;-)
    Last edited by Hloeric; May 31, 2014 at 02:02 PM.

Awesome! I love those shields... they just look more realistic and detailed than vanilla ones. I hope you can try and completely overhaul all the models some time in the future. It'd be a huge amount of work but it's one of those things that makes a mod feel less like a set of tweaks, and more like it's own huge game.

With most mod pack changes, I don't notice the difference in character models that someone has slaved over, and of course that's intentional! They want it to fit in. I'd just like to see something different also

Thank you, even though i do like the CA textures it does make it look like everything is very clean, my personal belief is that soldiers back in them days it would look more worn after battle (even the new soldiers would use old kit) so thats what ive tried to achieve with these shields. Who knows im retexturing faction by faction so whrn this mod is has finished its core factions the game hopefully would look more authenic and completly retextured :-) im now looking over what units sparta actully had so i can start on armours ect :-) keep an eye out :-)

Default Release of the Basic UI, UI Concept and Possibilities for a Community Effort

Here are some screenshots of the UI work:
    Attachment 308280Attachment 308281Attachment 308282Attachment 308283Attachment 308284Attachment 308285Attachment 308286Attachment 308287

Our UI Concept:

This UI is a Macedonian and Alexander the Great themed one. The reason behind that is that we want to sell our modification as three superpowers Rome, Carthage and Macedon (also representing the Diadochi and the Hellenistic world overall) fighting for the legacy of Alexander the Great. Our Grand Campaign starts in 218/217 BC and since Alexander's empire and legacy are still available and the Wars of the Diadochi haven't resulted in that one worthy successor, I decided this time to NOT put any of those three factions, respectively cultures on a prime spot, but rather put Alexander's legacy in the centre of the mod, while the superpowers of that time have to fight first for that hegemonial position. I think this also suits the timeframe very well since 218/217 BC is when the 2nd Punic War began and only few years later in 214 BC the 1st Macedonian War broke out.

The basic UI work is considered complete for now and we will now focus on bringing back the RSII, RTR and EB music back to Rome II and starting with our first faction overhaul soon. BUT there are some words left to say on the UI work:
    • Future Redesigns: A redesign of Unit Cards, Faction, Building and Technology Icons will be part of the Faction Overhauls and NOT the UI Overhaul (expect that we aim to change them all).
    • Load Screens: The load screens are in seperate packs, with that we ensure that users can theoretically create their own load screens from their favorite artwork or historical movies. This is all depending on a possible community effort. e.g. the more people provide screen packs, the more options people can chose from and enjoy the game with their own preferences.
    • Event Pictures: I would love to replace the event pictures artwork with screenshots of real life people (instead of comic style artwork from vanilla) coming from historical movies like Alexander, The Gladiator, 9th Legion, Spartacus Series and many more. Once again this could be a community effort. e.g. even if somebody could help us by providing the nessecary screenshots we could implement them into the game ourselves and it is definitely always a good thing if we can free as much resources as possible to actually work on bringing things into the game at first place.
    • Faction Group Specific UI: Currently, the white marble UI elements are a default for all factions, we would LOVE to invite everyone who could work on expanding those UI elements to be culture specific (YES, it is possible). And again this could be a community effort. e.g. How cool would it be to have those white marble elements specific for each faction group + egypt?

The UI elements are already on steam. Feedback and suggestions are very welcome! If you like the possiblities of community work to make the UI awesome, just contact me alecwermuth and we can talk about it OR contact people you know of being able to contribute and tell them to contact us instead. Another elegant way for sure to make this a great piece of work and remember if you don't know how to do UI work, we can easily assist you and provide you with the necessary tools and such.

Cheers
    Alec

PS: I forgot to add that we will be looking to create a few options for an AAW emblem and in future decide which suits us best. Hloeric took the initiative to begin with some concepts for signatures. Many thanks mate!
    Last edited by Hetairos; June 01, 2014 at 06:58 PM.

I like the bronze theme

Hey guys a quick update, keep an eye out in the next few days i will be posting images of all the hellenic and the legion specific shield that are finished. that is 30 new roman shield patterns, 8 hellenic silver shields, 3 spartan shields, 28 hellenic bronze shields, the plain bronze and silver hoplon retextured for decals and a brand new retextured thuros painted shield and the plain variant. Hopefully when this mod is hosted posting new artwork will be easier as i can i can post in a textures thread or faction specific thread. See you guys soon