Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Sebidee's Complete Guide to Unit Creation

Default Re: Sebidee's Complete Guide to Unit Creation

Quote Originally Posted by DanishCookie View Post
    You'll be glad to know that I have finally caught the culprit of the nefarious, noxious, scourge-of-pfm-adding-under-wrong-directory bug/error!
    After much dedication and hard work (not really,) I realized that the reason the variantmeshdefinition, and later, the icons, were being added under the wrong directory was because I was using the wrong file to add from. Instead of using the file where the icons were exported and the vmd placed in, I was using the desktop or other. Thus, PFM was using the wrong path to add the files. It didn't know where to put the vmd and the icons.
    It sounds like you're not using the MyMod feature; read this short tutorial on the intended steps to create a mod with PFM.
    This will let you choose a base path for the file you work on in your mod, extract all files there, and import correctly if you edit them there.
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

This guide and the template for it has been incredibly helpful! Phase 2 of Hellas Resurgent here I come!

Libertus

Same happens with me

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by DanishCookie View Post
    No, I'm pretty sure I'm right-clicking on the right place. On Template.variantmeshdefinitions, yes? I've tried it on every single place available, and it always goes under variantmeshes. I can post a screenshot, if you wish.
    Same happens with me

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

You may have to import a variant mesh from vanilla in order to properly set up the variantmesh's pathway. Just click add from pack and get them from models 2.
    Hey! Check out my mods!
    Over 60 mods on the workshop, and a mod group in steam. Click the icons to see them for yourself!

Well, thanks to a wonderful happenstance with my game not launching and attempting to uninstall mods to fix it, I just lost all my progress! However, when I went to redo it and finished following the first part of your tutorial, the game still won't launch. Any hope of someone taking a look at this to see what the problem may be?

http://www.mediafire.com/download/km...aAscendant.rar

Probably my english not enough for all of this but really awesome thread thanks

Ok i am on my last steps too complete my first germanic units. just balancing stats of the new units for radious mod.
    but i don't get the tool tip into the game.

perhaps i am blind. can anybody see whats wrong ?.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails modhelp1.jpg  

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Cartmanez, have you assigned the unit it's name properly in units_variants_tables?
    Hey! Check out my mods!
    Over 60 mods on the workshop, and a mod group in steam. Click the icons to see them for yourself!

Hi Sebidee!

I want to create a new faction! Is this posible to do from scratch or is it best to change existing factions to suit.

Also, Ive been trying in vain to create a startpos file with BOB. I have changed Pergamon to Sardes and Ephesus to Pergamon ownerships. I put the capitals correctly too. When I try to make a startpos it gets to the point where Rome2 starts up, but it crashes on that screen and I have to sign out and back into Windows to get back to desktop.

Ive searched for the steam.txt file i heard about and its not there.
    Ive deleted Assembly kit and reinstalled and its still doing it.

Ive verified my Rome 2 files aswell.

If this doesnt work, how can i change faction names and settlement ownerships in PFM?

Sorry for the massive post, I just need to know these things.

Cheers.

Mackles's Avatar Roma Invicta

deanow24, have you followed these instructions from the official wiki to the letter? I had the same problem initially and this worked for me.

Known Issue [as of 16/01/2014]:

If the user launches the Assembly Kit through the Tools section of Steam it will generate a file called steam_appid.txt in; C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Total War Rome II\assembly_kit\binaries

If the user then attempts to process a campaign start_pos through BOB it will NOT generate the start_pos.esf file because Rome2 will crash before it is able to start the process.

There is a work around – if the user manually deletes the file steam_appid.txt from the above directory it will work correctly, however if they launch via the Tools menu in Steam the file will be re-generated. This will not harm or affect the users game in any way.
    MacklesMod - A series of mini-mods that apply tweaks, changes or fixes to Rome II & Attila
    Sigs out of date, mods ain't!

Patronized by Inarus. Constantly.

Is there another download link to your template? I seem to be having a problem downloading it and the link brings up a regional steam with oriental characters.

Alright, so for those of you who are having issues with getting your mesh under the "VariantMeshDefinitions" category/subheading/whatever, I figured out the problem. It's a bit tricky to explain in words, but bear with me, I'll try to keep it as simple as possible. To get it working you need to find the location where your mod.pack file is stored (most likely somewhere in the Rome II installation folder; PFM actually asks you where you want to store your mod file when you first create it). For me it was under "Steam/SteamApps/common/Total War Rome II/name_of_my_mod". Now in this folder where your mod.pack file is located, you need to create a new folder called "variantmeshes". Inside this folder, create another new folder called "variantmeshdefinitions". Make sure that you get the spelling absolutely right, otherwise it won't work. You now need to copy your mesh file (from wherever you originally saved it, probably a folder on your desktop if you've been following Sebidee's tutorial to the letter.), into the newly created "variantmeshdefinitions" folder. So in summary, you should have a folder structure that resembles this: (your mod.pack folder) --> variantmeshes --> variantmeshdefinitions --> (your mesh file). To be honest I have no idea if the subheadings in PFM are case-sensitive or not. Hopefully not.

As Seb was saying though, he is using an older version of PFM which allows him to simply add the mesh files from anywhere without this fuss. It seems the new update screwed something up, which is a bit annoying. Hopefully they'll patch it in the next version.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebidee View Post
    Cartmanez, have you assigned the unit it's name properly in units_variants_tables?
    Mh i think so, perhaps i did something wrong?

i deactivated all mods too, same problem.
    perhaps i have to delete the upc_german mod language file in the data ordner ?

i have no ideas for the problem :/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails modhelp2.jpg  

Hey Cartmanez, in the land_units.loc table (the one you attached in your post), there should be a third column "Unknown" with a checkbox. This should be checked. I'm pretty sure this checkbox allows you to enable and disable the tooltip.

Forgot thick "is_male" for one elite unit and it's funny to listen female galatian guard when all of them are brutal men

P.S.: Thank you Sebidee! Your tutorial really helped me.

How to give unit custom colours? In unit_variants_colours_tables? I created my table and edited colour of unit but it still have faction colours in game.

deanow24, have you followed these instructions from the official wiki to the letter? I had the same problem initially and this worked for me.
    Yea Mackles, I never run it through Steam.

Ive played around with this a bit more. It only crashes when I switch Ephesus and Pergamon ownerships around. (Sardes to Pergamon and Pergamon to Ephesus)

I do this, I leave them both as faction capitals as they are already for both factions.

Then when I try to start it crashes.

Maybe because of armies?? Does this affect things if the faction has armies in a non-owned settlement? I just thought of this while i was typing. Gonna try it.

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Teos16 View Post
    How to give unit custom colours? In unit_variants_colours_tables? I created my table and edited colour of unit but it still have faction colours in game.
    Did you remember to change the prefix? also you will not be able to recolour officers.
    Hey! Check out my mods!

It was the standing armies that were causing it to crash! Doh!