Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Sebidee's Complete Guide to Unit Creation

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

Default Re: Sebidee's Complete Guide to Unit Creation

Hey Seb, I have a problem with cav units. They are always dismounted, I mean I added horses and all and the game doesn't
    crash but they are still on foot in battles.

and also what table to give abilities like phalanx?
    Last edited by Linke; April 12, 2015 at 06:10 AM.

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Linke View Post
    Hey Seb, I have a problem with cav units. They are always dismounted, I mean I added horses and all and the game doesn't

Have you added the value in the main_units as well?

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Linke View Post

You need to give the unit a number of horses that equals the number of men. It's not in main_units though (simple mistake) it's in Land_units_tables. The column is called num_horses.

To give abilities you use land_units_to_unit_abilites_junctions. That info is in the tutorial.
    Hey! Check out my mods!
    Over 60 mods on the workshop, and a mod group in steam. Click the icons to see them for yourself!

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

Thanks

Doubtful, but can you assign a unit's upkeep in terms other than gold (in this case, food)? Also, can you overwrite entries in a CA database without needing to include all the data (for this case, can I replace the unit's replacement tree, and swap out base Legionaries with my custom Legionaries without having to include, to name one, Carthaginian Hoplites data?

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Generally you're going to want to limit what you do to things that are possible in vanilla, so no food upkeep. You don't need to include all the data in a table, you only keep what you want and rename the table. This is in the tutorial, go read it!!!
    Hey! Check out my mods!
    Over 60 mods on the workshop, and a mod group in steam. Click the icons to see them for yourself!

I mean taking out the option of recruiting vanilla Legionaires, for example. What I am planning is a reform of the Roman legions, and what I want to do is make it so that, at the beginning, they can basically recruit only a Roman hoplite unit, with some form of ranged (no cav). Then, they move on to hastati, principes, triarii, leves, and equites. Next, leves become Velites. After that/finally, Legionaires, Aux cavalry, and some basic Roman ranged with default Aux units. What I want to do is swap out the vanilla set of Hastati, Principes, Triarii, Leves, Equites, Velites, Legionaires, and Aux Cav, with my own versions of those, but I want to know if I can do that without just taking the land_units and main_units tables from data_rome2 and editing what I need to there, and using up all that space.

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Not really sure what you're getting at there. You're going to need to use land_units and main_units.
    Hey! Check out my mods!

Yes, but will I need to include the base game's land_units and main_units tables, or can I block it using the renamed tables. I think this may help:
    I want to know if I can disable the vanilla legionaires without having to overwrite the entries for them.

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

No, if you want to remove a unit from the game then you need to include vanilla tables.
    Hey! Check out my mods!

Thanks. Would have replied sooner, but I had to refresh my computer, and fix it. Where would I go to find out how to swap a grand campaign faction with one from another campaign (Octavian's Rome replacing Rome, Getae replacing Thraike, etc.)

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Don't know. Ask about units man!
    Hey! Check out my mods!

Hey, I got my mod working and everything is fine except for the fact that my custom officer unit has no weapon! I can't figure it out, do you have any idea?

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by markymark View Post
    Hey, I got my mod working and everything is fine except for the fact that my custom officer unit has no weapon! I can't figure it out, do you have any idea?
    You probably didn't give him the right animation. They have their own one independent from the unit.
    Hey! Check out my mods!

Quote Originally Posted by Sebidee View Post
    You probably didn't give him the right animation. They have their own one independent from the unit.

That was it thanks! Had the wrong animation to the wrong weapon.

Following your tutorial got all working ok (thanks for that) except variant meshes - my new unit should have at least five different helmets/ skins/ shields but while in game it only shows one. Tried to mess with probability but still no joy. Any ideas?

SOLVED
    Last edited by Janek; May 15, 2015 at 09:38 AM.

How do you add vanilla shield patterns to units? All my shields show as blank faction colour, and I can't find any tutorials on how to add vanilla patterns to shields.

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by markymark View Post
    How do you add vanilla shield patterns to units? All my shields show as blank faction colour, and I can't find any tutorials on how to add vanilla patterns to shields.
    Vannila patterns and not custom ones? You can add them to the unit in the same way as you add any other item. They are in the variant editor. They don't show up on the unit preveiw but trust me, they are there. You might need to do some trial and error and try to remember what names each of the patterns have.

Here they are in the variant editor

That soldier has a Galatian shield with a specific Galatian pattern. It doesn't show up on the preveiw but it will in-game.
    Hey! Check out my mods!

Thanks, I feel a bit silly on how much time I spent trying to figure this out. I must have a mod that is affecting the vanilla patterns because all I get are a bunch of colours, no patterns on the shield. Honestly though I'd have never been able to make my own custom units without your guide, so thanks for the help!

You think you could update the OP to the current version of PFM? I am getting confused on how to go about this, I feel really dumb since you've explained enough a monkey could do it >.<