Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Eternal Crusade

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Eternal Crusade

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinary Guardian View Post
    Thankfully not. I am not a fan of Russ' dogs. However the main reason of raging against the puppies is the whole Executioner schtick. The only ones who like it are the Wolves fans and don't they just love to repeat it all the time.
    Well, I'm not a Space Wolf fan but sticking the word Wolf in everything is idiotic. We get it already, they have a wolf motif! No need to spam it, writers.

The Imperium is more Dark Ages, less Roman, but there is this whole Greco-Roman theme to the Ultramarines. Gladii, helmet crests, the belts, the names, the organization of the entire Ultramar. Now, now, I don't say they are Greeks/Romans in space, I am trying to convey that this is the imagery they evoke.
    I'd say the Imperium is rather hard to pin down as a whole because it is not homogeneous due to its massive size.

From a business perspective, why would anyone care about their most underplayed faction? From a fan's PoV, it's a damn shame.
    Well, a faction will stay underplayed if you don't market it.

The Gothic War series is rather old, but still relevant and Void Stalker was released two years ago and can be found in the Night Lords omnibus. The entire omnibus is awesome, though, I highly recommend it.
    Night Lords.. is that one of ADB's?

Goto is a grave offender of 40K in general, so he doesn't count. There is actually a pro-human Eldar in the Gothic War. DoW is generally idiotic in portrayals, but a fun game to play.
    I don't know, I think Retribution's portrayal of the various factions was overall excellent. They had the Space Maines being heroic, the Guard's dogged determination, Chaos was at last threatening and sinister unlike many of the previous games, the Eldar at last got some characterisation beyond 'arrogant aliens', the Ork campaign was also excellent and the Tyranids were handled as well as you can handle a race that neither speaks nor has any motivations besides eating.

Mobile trash is aimed to casual gamers and potential new customers, it's got to have Space Marine in it.
    Mobile trash is also a waste of the license and they should stop making those games. It isn't like most of them are particularly profitable.

Chaos Gate and Final Liberation are awesome but old and you have Rites of War, which was cool and you were the protagonists. Of all alien races, Eldar are the only that gets a unique PoV in videogame format. DoW campaigns, while fun, were to repetitive to be considered unique.
    Chaos Gate was unfortunately buggy, and Final Liberation should have been expanded more but they were pretty good games, yes. Rites of War was forgettable at best, I think.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Sanguinary Guardian's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Feanaro Curufinwe View Post
    Well, I'm not a Space Wolf fan but sticking the word Wolf in everything is idiotic. We get it already, they have a wolf motif! No need to spam it, writers.
    The Spiritual Liege also stuck the word blood all around our old Codex. Ι have to give it to him, though, he wrote good rules. The wolf-wolf everywhere is a silly, but the Executioner parade is even worse.

I'd say the Imperium is rather hard to pin down as a whole because it is not homogeneous due to its massive size.
    The general vibe is Dark Ages, with the Inquisition, the knights-in-space, the cathedrals-in-space and whatnot.

Well, a faction will stay underplayed if you don't market it.
    They did, in Soulstorm. Still underplayed, as it seems, but they had a gameplay similar to the Space Marines. Too similar.

Night Lords.. is that one of ADB's?
    Yep and one of the most awesome books out of BL.

I don't know, I think Retribution's portrayal of the various factions was overall excellent. They had the Space Maines being heroic, the Guard's dogged determination, Chaos was at last threatening and sinister unlike many of the previous games, the Eldar at last got some characterisation beyond 'arrogant aliens', the Ork campaign was also excellent and the Tyranids were handled as well as you can handle a race that neither speaks nor has any motivations besides eating.
    Still, playing the same missions every damned time gets tiring too fast. I finished it as the Blood Ravens and reached halfway as Chaos. Then uninstalled.

Mobile trash is also a waste of the license and they should stop making those games. It isn't like most of them are particularly profitable.
    Agreed.

Chaos Gate was unfortunately buggy, and Final Liberation should have been expanded more but they were pretty good games, yes. Rites of War was forgettable at best, I think.
    Chaos Gate had the best OST of any 40K game ever, period.
    Final Liberation gets something close to a reboot in the form of Slitherine's Armageddon.
    Rites of War well, I've heard some people enjoyed it, I've never played it.

H ΕΛΛΑΔΑ κι ο ΕΛΛΗΝΙΣΜΟΣ είναι αξίες ιερότερες από οποιαδήποτε ειρήνη!

Despite all we have lost so far, our fire still burns...

The general vibe is Dark Ages, with the Inquisition, the knights-in-space, the cathedrals-in-space and whatnot.
    I'd say there is also quite a lot of influence from British sci-fi and comics, like say; Judge Dredd.

They did, in Soulstorm. Still underplayed, as it seems, but they had a gameplay similar to the Space Marines. Too similar.
    Well, Iron Lore did half-ass the new factions for Soulstorm.

Still, playing the same missions every damned time gets tiring too fast. I finished it as the Blood Ravens and reached halfway as Chaos. Then uninstalled.
    I think it is worth it to suffer through the repetitive missions just to see the story. But that's just me.

Agreed.
    By the way, have you heard of the fan-made game Chapter Master?

Chaos Gate had the best OST of any 40K game ever, period.
    I'm fond of Dawn of War's soundtrack as well. And Dawn of War II, despite its numerous failings also had a badass OST.

Final Liberation gets something close to a reboot in the form of Slitherine's Armageddon.
    That one has potential, certainly.

Rites of War well, I've heard some people enjoyed it, I've never played it.
    I've seen some footage on the internet, and I didn't think it was especially impressive.

The underpinnings are very Gothic, the Judge Dredd aspect is seen in Adeptus Arbites and the Hive cities.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    The underpinnings are very Gothic, the Judge Dredd aspect is seen in Adeptus Arbites and the Hive cities.
    I'd say there is a fair amount of Moorcock influence as well, although it is more noticeable in WHF.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

OMG! Feanaro, Sanguinary, you Greeks are worse than us in Italy when there is something to discuss!

I'd say there is also quite a lot of influence from British sci-fi and comics, like say; Judge Dredd.
    Quite right

Well, Iron Lore did half-ass the new factions for Soulstorm.
    I rather liked the Dark Eldar.

I think it is worth it to suffer through the repetitive missions just to see the story. But that's just me.
    Ι can't, I just can't kill that Baneblade in the second mission, 6 different times.

By the way, have you heard of the fan-made game Chapter Master?
    No, first time I read about it.

I'm fond of Dawn of War's soundtrack as well. And Dawn of War II, despite its numerous failings also had a badass OST.
    Badass, but generic.

Diocle, that's us Greeks overanalysing things...

No, first time I read about it.
    Well, at the moment it is really buggy, and saves tend to not work, and some elements are still not added, but it is better than most things GW has put out in the last few years.
    You have the role of Chapter Master, either that of a custom or an official one, and you have to lead your it to success, while trying to balance diplomacy with other factions of the Imperium or xenos, defend the Imperium and your chapter as well, maintain the purity of the geneseed, avoid inquisitorial attention and well, quite a few other things too.
    Last edited by Feanaro Curufinwe; November 07, 2014 at 10:18 AM.

It's awesome, but really needs a manual. Imagine if this thing had large production values. ΜΙND-BLOWN!

It's awesome, but really needs a manual. Imagine if this thing had large production values. ΜΙND-BLOWN!
    There is a manual.

Αh, yes, it makes much more sense now...

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

I have to check that one out one day.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

I uploaded the 8v8 they did before Christmas

(All footage is still Alpha build)

Founder Access is starting really soon!

T&D's Avatar Vicarius

Hey there are any chance to see it f2p(without buying it)???

Bobington's Avatar Ordinarius
    You illuminaterz wont find nuthin bout me!

You can play as an Ork boy, that is all.

Am I the only one wishing for an appearance of the Astra Militarum?
    As God wills it.

Im wishing for the Tau. Cant wait.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

T&D's Avatar Vicarius

Hey there are any gameplay of an ork faction???

Not yet. Not even of Eldar mate . We will probably get some more news of eldar next friday 11. While the Imperial Fists and Alpha Legion and some other stuff probably will be added to the game next tuesday.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast