Thread: India

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

Default India

I'll be heading to India at the end of the year and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what to do and where to go while I'm there. I'll be traveling with my partner and we'll probably arrive around the 23rd of December and we'll have about four weeks before we need to be back. Our plan at the moment is to start in Kerala and work our way north through the western side. A bit about us: we're quite versatile travelers and like doing and seeing a whole bunch of stuff from nature to culture, strenuous stuff to less active, er, activities. Cost isn't really a big issue for us but the cheaper the better, obviously. Nightlife isn't something we're interested in.

Some places we've come across that have interested us so far:
    • Kerala backwaters
    • Jog Falls
    • Goa
    • Mumbai to see if we can be extras in a Bollywood film
    • Ellora
    • Heaps of stuff in Rajasthan (Jaipur, Jaisalmer, Jodhpur, Chittorgarh at the moment. Not sure if we need to see all of them. Also some camel or horse rides if there are some nice ones)
    • Taj Mahal
    • Red Fort
    • Maybe ending in Shimla

If anyone has been to India, lives there or knows anything about it, your tips and any advice you can offer would be highly appreciated. Thank you for reading

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Default Re: India

Aaah, I'm jealous! I've never been to India, so you have to take trazillions of pictures and post them when you'll be back

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Ganges is a must if you can get there in time for the Kumbh Mela.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Hĺb

I just got back from a month-long workshop in Gujarat/Calcutta which also afforded us some free time to travel further in Rajasthan and four years back I spent about 5 months on the sub-continent, so if you have any questions - don't hesitate to ask

The Kerala backwaters is absolutely stunning and highly recommended. Also a good starting point IMHO.
    Goa is... well it's Goa and not really India. If you're tiring of curry, dry states and veg only restrictions, coming to Goa is absolutely bliss. Wouldn't recommend it for anything other than beach relaxing and party-going.

Instead of Goa, I'd suggest you check out Hampi instead. Absolutely marvelous place and conveniently close to your south-north travel axis.

Getting an extra part in a Bollywood film is actually quite easy. Lots of people are always hiring tourists - either in hotels or on the streets. Be ready to spend up to an entire day on set - maybe midday to midnight. It's a fun experience and a good chance to meet other travelers.

Rajasthan is the epitome of tourism in India. And rightly so. Personally, I'd recommend starting in Udaipur (conveniently placed in the south of the state - close to Mumbai) and making forays to the Jain temple in Ranakpur and the great fort at Kumbhalgarh (if you hire a car, both can be covered in a day). From Udaipur I'd suggest going to Jodhpur, which after Udaipur is my second most favorite city in the state. Following that you could head on to Jaisalmer and do some camel-safari, which is great fun. From Jaisalmer you can either go to Jaipur or Bikaner before moving on to Agra. Close to Agra you'll find emperor Akbar's marvelous Mughal city Fatehpur Sikri, which I sadly haven't had the chance to visit myself yet.
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

Wow, that's great! Thanks so much for the information. You've given us heaps to look at so I'll share what you've posted and get back to you once we've done a bit of research. Is there anything else you'd recommend that we've missed?

@Sir Adrian
    We'll miss Kumbh Mela. It would be a pretty interesting experience. I'm not sure if I'd like it or not. Too crazy maybe?

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Hĺb

One thing that's important to keep in mind when travelling in India, is the fact that there's so much to see that you can't manage it all in one go. Or in two, or in three

I used two months to get from Pondicherry to Delhi, following more or less the route you and your partner envisage and I had to be pretty selective about my stops.
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

Interesting sharing.

i`ve visited Goa! Great place!