Page 58 of 75 FirstFirst ... 833484950515253545556575859606162636465666768 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1492

Thread: [DOWNLOAD] SSHIP ver. 0.97 (outdated, use v. 098)

Default Re: [Release] SSHIP v0.9.5 downloadable - 25th of December 2018

Thankyou for the Feeback. It's much appreciated. Damn what a pity.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

If you're interested, there's been a discussion on the siege engines in the EBII thread (the things haven't actually changed much for much of the Middle Ages).
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

VineFynn's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    If you're interested, there's been a discussion on the siege engines in the EBII thread (the things haven't actually changed much for much of the Middle Ages).
    Trebuchets should probably have lower damage against buildings *or* lower range. If the latter, we could then allow the use (if we gave them higher accuracy) of ballistae in their intended role against defenders on a wall (that would probably be contingent on the AI not being stupid though). As it stands, they are basically medieval cannons, a single unit guaranteeing multiple breaches in any strength of wall, in doing so having none of the weaknesses that they did historically (like being immobile and constructed in the same manner as "siege equipment" like rams). The adjustments in practice might need to be more complex, but the principle behind them would remain that the usefulness of trebuchets in game is exaggerated from their usefulness historically.
    Last edited by VineFynn; August 05, 2019 at 01:46 AM.
    Real life is balanced.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

I need to read the stuff linked by JoC. However, note that it concerns another period.
    Regarding your idea VF, they also should have 0 pt of movement to reflect that they were immobile. Basically, once deployed, they stay on their position.
    About ballistas, I've only found records of their use as defensive weapon, not offensive and not by all factions.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by VineFynn View Post
    Trebuchets should probably have lower damage against buildings *or* lower range. If the latter, we could then allow the use (if we gave them higher accuracy) of ballistae in their intended role against defenders on a wall (that would probably be contingent on the AI not being stupid though). As it stands, they are basically medieval cannons, a single unit guaranteeing multiple breaches in any strength of wall, in doing so having none of the weaknesses that they did historically (like being immobile and constructed in the same manner as "siege equipment" like rams). The adjustments in practice might need to be more complex, but the principle behind them would remain that the usefulness of trebuchets in game is exaggerated from their usefulness historically.
    I fully agree on the exaggeration of their usefulness.
    Furthermore, they're surprisingly effective in the open battles.
    I'd go even deeper in this criticism as I don't think "their intended role against defenders on a wall" is true. The role of trebuchets was to sow terror among population and destroy the city prompting it into surrender. They were too inaccurate to be used against small targets on the walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    I need to read the stuff linked by JoC. However, note that it concerns another period.
    AFAIK, untill arrival of gunpowder in 14th century little has changed besides trebuchets replacing "catapults" - and this was for economic reasons, they're cheaper and hurled bigger projectictiles even though they're probably less accurate.
    The 6 S of sieging remained the same:
    SUBORNING or subverting key defenders
    SCARING the garrisons with ”propaganda"
    STARVING the population
    SAPPING the walls
    SHELLING the besieged
    STORMING the defenses
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; August 05, 2019 at 02:17 AM.

Blog Entries

If made immobile with a lesser accuracy, that would make them less useful in open battle
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

VineFynn's Avatar Miles

I'd go even deeper in this criticism as I don't think "their intended role against defenders on a wall" is true. The role of trebuchets was to sow terror among population and destroy the city prompting it into surrender. They were too inaccurate to be used against small targets on the walls
    I was referring to ballistae, not trebuchets, with that remark.
    Real life is balanced.

Blog Entries

But ballistas and catapults aren't in game anymore
    Anyway, what about the 0 movement point idea for siege engines prior to the gunpowder era?

VineFynn's Avatar Miles

Regarding your idea VF, they also should have 0 pt of movement to reflect that they were immobile. Basically, once deployed, they stay on their position.
    About ballistas, I've only found records of their use as defensive weapon, not offensive and not by all factions.
    In the case of ballistas being purely defensive, I'd just remove them altogether.

Making trebuchets immobile is a no-go for a few reasons:

- It is not always possible to deploy them within range of the walls

- The AI never deploys them within range of the walls anyway

- If there is a secondary layer of walls the game will not recognise that the immobile trebuchets cannot be used to destroy them, achieving the same effect as deploying them out of range

Re: being too effective in battle, I would just make them less accurate and remove flaming shot

The intended effect of any changes would be to make it so that only sustained bombardment at a closer range and for longer than currently would produce breaches in stone walls.
    Real life is balanced.

Blog Entries

Ballistas and catapults aren't in game anymore already Mate

VineFynn's Avatar Miles

Ballistas and catapults aren't in game anymore already Mate
    They're still in the unit roster.
    Real life is balanced.

Blog Entries

Damn! I need to check that. Thanks.

VineFynn's Avatar Miles

Damn! I need to check that. Thanks.
    There's a bunch of units we should cut when the time comes, no rush on those two specifically (actually not sure if ballista is still there but the mango definitely is).
    Real life is balanced.

As you may read in the discussion on the EBII page I've sent the link to, even the very historical EBII team decided to keep ahistorical catapults in the game to simulate for something different - the (available in the RTW engine) sapping.
    I'm not sure know how to deal with the issue though. In the Titanium there're catapults - and they're pretty useless. Maybe it's the way to go...

As you may read in the discussion on the EBII page I've sent the link to, even the very historical EBII team decided to keep ahistorical catapults in the game to simulate for something different - the (available in the RTW engine) sapping.
    I'm not sure know how to deal with the issue though. In the Titanium there're catapults - and they're pretty useless. Maybe it's the way to go...
    Would it be possible to rename the unit "sappers" and adjust with the range to accomplish the desired effect?

Hi all After installing 0.92 do i just extract 0.95 to the mods folder ? thanks in advance

VineFynn's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
    Hi all After installing 0.92 do i just extract 0.95 to the mods folder ? thanks in advance
    Yeah
    Real life is balanced.

SSHIP v1.0.0. preview...

Just some cosmetic changes, for warming up

Splash Screen

_m2_border Screen

Menu Screen

Hi. Thanks for all your great work , I was just interested to find out if you had an approx release date in mind please ? Thanks

Blog Entries

I hate to give a date, even not precise but I hope to have the next release ready sometimes next month

So there was no more faction slot to put in Armenia, Sweden, or County of Flanders? What new features will there be for the new release?