Thread: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

StaefanBatory's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

And another one. for world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt: (this time CTD)
    09:36:03.693 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/SSHIP_098_Feudalic/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/radar.tga09:36:18.626 [game.script.timer.battle] [trace] Battle timer finished 30.00 @ 169.4, line number 35805
    09:36:23.033 [game.script.timer.battle] [trace] Battle timer finished 30.00 @ 173.8, line number 36463
    09:36:23.033 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <if> at line 36466 in mods/SSHIP_098_Feudalic/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    09:36:23.033 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <if> at line 36471 in mods/SSHIP_098_Feudalic/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    09:36:23.034 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <release_unit> at line 36471 in mods/SSHIP_098_Feudalic/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    09:36:23.034 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <set_counter> at line 36472 in mods/SSHIP_098_Feudalic/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    09:36:23.034 [game.script.counter] [trace] counter <g_stop> = 0
    09:37:02.723 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

It occured 2 times during my Seljuk campaign (only 18th turn)

Attached Files Attached Files
    Life without Total War games isn't a life

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    I appreciate the wish to help improving the mod with a good council, but in my opinion we don't need additional technical abitilities, we need modding power (working hours of experience modders).
    @Belovese is strongly in favour of switching to EOP, so maybe we'd get there one day.
    To be honest it was more of a general query than a demand or anything like that. I'm glad to hear that it's on the radar, however faint, at least the dream lives on.

@Belovèse For the longest while i couldn't get it to work so zi used the non eop version. Having recently fixed that I've done a few campaigns with it so not hugely experienced.

For me, the best quality of life changes are the ones that make up for the hardcoded AI shortcomings. Being able to set diplomatic_stance, force diplomacy etc adds a lot of replayabilty to the game as the diplomacy has always been one of the biggest shortcomings in med 2. In a historical total war I think it would be good to be able to create historical scenarios mid campaign ( as opposed to tweaking the desc strat ). Being able to rebalance the map or end a ridiculous war with the AI without wiping them out and losing the faction would prevent the late game from being a slog.

I have no concept of how time consuming it would be to implement, as I know resources are tight it makes sense to prioritise what work is targeted.
    Last edited by Lord Blackfyre; August 26, 2022 at 09:51 PM. Reason: - I didn't notice Belovese reply at first

I was viewing export_descr_character_traits.txt and I think every condition below should be change:
    and I_EventCounter trusted_ally 1
    to
    and I_EventCounter trusted_ally = 1
    I_EventCounter new_house_egypt 1
    and other factions
    to
    I_EventCounter new_house_egypt = 1

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

@StefanBatory, thanks, very useful bug-hunting!

Do you know by chance if FactionwideAncillaryExists may be used in if- clauses?

monitor_event CharacterTurnStart IsFactionLeader
    if I_FactionwideAncillaryExists master_smith
    end_if
    if I_FactionwideAncillaryExists master_archer
    end_if

I don't see it here

Next bunch of bugs after my Seljuk campaign:

building, Large Stone Wall ME, Description: Maintaining upkeep for:5 units, but only 4. Later is 4 and this is ok
    building, Wall, Utrecht_Province, descr_strat, should be wooden_wall instead of wooden_pallisade

event, "No martial law in...", In a case with settlement name with more than one word, there is "_" char between words
    event, Scottish Clans Mobilize, no viedo
    event, spawn army, slave, event related with army which appear in Georgia - Spawn character has SE model and SE portrait, SE voice (should be ME or Greek)

mission, Blockade Port, Blockade... My own port (never seen that bug since I play Medieval II)
    model, Kerman, Siege, turn 3, Flying city
    name, Fatimid, named character, turn 7, age 65, no name, no surname
    portrait, diplomat, Qipchaq, Portrait from European culture
    strat_map, port, Gorganch, Ships can't leave port

text, priest, lithuania, EMT_LITHUANIA_PRIEST_4
    text, EMT_ZENGID_NAMED_CHARACTER_1

unit, Steppe Kazaks, Unit Card, Black fragment of background behind the bow. Should be transparent
    unit, Dismounted Ghulam, Description: Late Professional, but available from ~1150 (42 turn)

To discuss:
    building, Landowner guards, Construction time should took longer... Because it is kind of castle or similar
    building, Food Import, Why population growth -,5? Illogical
    building, Bimaristan, Why population growth -1,5/-3% ? Illogical
    gold, general campaign, too much gold, Get income should be more demanding for player. Merchants should be more efficient etc - see economy in BC - if player want money, he need mantain large amount of merchants. Taxes give too much incomestealing treasury event, In my opinion it is bad workaround for money overflow.
    unit, Beduin Infantry, Gorganch, Should not be recruited here... Comes from caranivassary, but it should be changed for this location.
    campaign, muslim factions should not have princess
    Last edited by StaefanBatory; August 28, 2022 at 02:38 PM.

Thanks a lot for the detailled reports and suggestions!

A few were already fixed in our coming build, the others I'll get to it in a week when I get my gaming PC back.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats

Large Stone Wall ME, Description: Maintaining upkeep for:5 units, but only 4. Later is 4 and this is ok
    coding is:
    ; LARGE STONE WALL - GENERAL
    wall_level 3
    gate_strength 4
    tower_level 1
    free_upkeep bonus 4 requires not factions { mongols, cumans, } and not event_counter FL_policy_protector 1
    free_upkeep bonus 5 requires not factions { mongols, cumans, } and event_counter FL_policy_protector 1

building, Wall, Utrecht_Province, descr_strat, should be wooden_wall instead of wooden_pallisade

event, "No martial law in...", In a case with settlement name with more than one word, there is "_" char between words
    yeah, we'll need to edit it one by one...

event, spawn army, slave, event related with army which appear in Georgia - Spawn character has SE model and SE portrait, SE voice (should be ME or Greek)
    provide more details, pls

mission, Blockade Port, Blockade... My own port (never seen that bug since I play Medieval II)
    I've got no clue about this one.

model, Kerman, Siege, turn 3, Flying city
    I've got no clue about this one. we've had (have?) it in Qaliqala...

portrait, diplomat, Qipchaq, Portrait from European culture
    Cumans take their portraits from the EE culture, sorry. it was a choice of the previous SSHIP creators

strat_map, port, Gorganch, Ships can't leave port
    noted, to be done in the future while dealing with the map

text, priest, lithuania, EMT_LITHUANIA_PRIEST_4
    fixed

text, EMT_ZENGID_NAMED_CHARACTER_1
    fixed

unit, Steppe Kazaks, Unit Card, Black fragment of background behind the bow. Should be transparent
    for @kostic

unit, Dismounted Ghulam, Description: Late Professional, but available from ~1150 (42 turn)
    to be fixed during the review of the rosters

To discuss:
    building, Landowner guards, Construction time should took longer... Because it is kind of castle or similar
    it's policy so no need for a long time

building, Food Import, Why population growth -,5? Illogical
    coding looks ok
    foodsupport city requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, } and building_present_min_level hinterland_roads paved_roads and building_present_min_level city_hall council_chambers and event_counter is_the_player 1 {
    capability
    {
    population_growth_bonus bonus 3
    happiness_bonus bonus 1
    ;---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; UPKEEP/INCOME
    income_bonus bonus -100
    }
    faction_capability
    {
    population_growth_bonus bonus -1
    happiness_bonus bonus -1
    }
    material wooden
    construction 10
    cost 7500
    settlement_min city
    upgrades
    {
    tribute_management
    }
    }
    tribute_management city requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, } and building_present_min_level hinterland_roads paved_roads and building_present_min_level city_hall city_hall and event_counter is_the_player 1
    {
    capability
    {
    population_growth_bonus bonus 6
    happiness_bonus bonus 2
    ;---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; UPKEEP/INCOME
    income_bonus bonus -200
    }
    faction_capability
    {
    population_growth_bonus bonus -2
    happiness_bonus bonus -2
    }
    material wooden
    construction 12
    cost 12800
    settlement_min city
    upgrades
    {
    forced_tribute
    }
    }
    forced_tribute city requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, } and building_present_min_level hinterland_roads paved_roads and building_present_min_level city_hall mayors_palace and event_counter is_the_player 1
    {
    capability
    {
    population_growth_bonus bonus 9
    happiness_bonus bonus 3
    ; UPKEEP/INCOME
    income_bonus bonus -400
    }
    faction_capability
    {
    population_growth_bonus bonus -3
    happiness_bonus bonus -4
    }
    material wooden
    construction 15
    cost 15000
    settlement_min large_city
    upgrades
    {
    }
    }
    building, Bimaristan, Why population growth -1,5/-3% ? Illogical
    coding looks ok:
    bimaristan city requires factions { middle_eastern, } and building_present_min_level education_libraries library {
    capability
    {
    retrain_cost_bonus bonus 1
    population_health_bonus bonus 6
    population_growth_bonus bonus -3
    ; UPKEEP/INCOME
    income_bonus bonus -100
    }
    material wooden
    construction 6
    cost 7600
    settlement_min city
    upgrades
    {
    great_bimaristan
    }
    }
    great_bimaristan city requires factions { middle_eastern, } and building_present_min_level education_university great_university
    {
    capability
    {
    retrain_cost_bonus bonus 1
    population_health_bonus bonus 12
    population_growth_bonus bonus -6
    ; UPKEEP/INCOME
    income_bonus bonus -200
    }
    material stone
    construction 8
    cost 9700
    settlement_min huge_city
    upgrades
    {
    }
    }
    }
    gold, general campaign, too much gold, Get income should be more demanding for player. Merchants should be more efficient etc - see economy in BC - if player want money, he need mantain large amount of merchants. Taxes give too much incomestealing treasury event, In my opinion it is bad workaround for money overflow.
    yeah, I hope it'll be better with the coming prices of the units

unit, Beduin Infantry, Gorganch, Should not be recruited here... Comes from caranivassary, but it should be changed for this location.
    yeah, again to be fixed during review

campaign, muslim factions should not have princess
    I don't agree, the Muslims also used marriages for diplomacy

louigi's Avatar Foederatus

hello everyone, just started my first SSHIP campaign (0.98). My first battle was against the rebels of skadar. I absolutely loved the battle but there is one thing I found a bit odd. Their units didn't seem to break at all. every single unit, even simple woodsmen and archers fought to the very last man. no routing.

Also I'm playing on hard campaign difficulty and very hard battle difficulty and I got the correct pop up message that I was playing on hard difficulty and that there will be additional features. But then a turn later I get another window that says i'm playing on very hard difficulty, so what difficulty am I playing on now?? I took a screenshot because i wanted to show you but it seems it did not save for some reason which brings me to my last remark: where do the screenshots get saved?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by louigi View Post
    hello everyone, just started my first SSHIP campaign (0.98). My first battle was against the rebels of skadar. I absolutely loved the battle but there is one thing I found a bit odd. Their units didn't seem to break at all. every single unit, even simple woodsmen and archers fought to the very last man. no routing.

Also I'm playing on hard campaign difficulty and very hard battle difficulty and I got the correct pop up message that I was playing on hard difficulty and that there will be additional features. But then a turn later I get another window that says i'm playing on very hard difficulty, so what difficulty am I playing on now?? I took a screenshot because i wanted to show you but it seems it did not save for some reason which brings me to my last remark: where do the screenshots get saved?

Thanks in advance
    if you've chosen H/VH, then it's H/VH. Sorry for rong pop-out messages

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

The screenshots are saved in the folder medieval II total war/tgas

Can someone please answer my question regarding morale?

Also why are there no dismounted norman knights for sicily in custom battles? were they removed for historical accuracy maybe?

thanks in advance

Normally, morale works very well in SSHIP, but some units flee more easily than others. For example, send a unit in the back of an opposing unit that is fighting against another of your units: unless the unit is especially strong in morale, it will clear off.
    There is also perhaps an explanation with the context: if a unit defends the central place of its city it can fight until death ! This is part of the concept of the original M2TW and I don't know if it is possible to modify the code.
    In custom battle, foot Norman knights are only available for the early period. It's probably for a historical reason but I'm not sure. Historicity is being watched more carefully for campaigns (although the job is far from done)

Hi louigi, to my knowledge we haven't changed the morale since the last version.
    Was the army led by a general or a captain?

It was lead by a captain i guess, but i remember he had a lot of stars, like 8 so maybe that has something to do with it.. idk. and the fact i was playing on very hard.

nevermind about the dismounted norman knights, i just found out they disappear after the early period, and so they're only available if you choose early period in custom battle. but still thanks Kostic for the info

One last question haha, is it normal that the launcher doesn't have a logo?

The launcher has no logo and it's .bat file

However, you can create a shortcut of this file on your desktop and then change the shortcut icon by looking for one in the SSHIP folder

Quote Originally Posted by louigi View Post
    nevermind about the dismounted norman knights, i just found out they disappear after the early period, and so they're only available if you choose early period in custom battle.
    In the SSHIP, there's evolution of the knights' units for each faction, for Sicily see here:
    Code:
    ;================================================================================================================================                            SICILY;- SICILY landowners2 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ;--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; Numbers and events are exactly the same as the NE knights.
    ; Sicily has 2 upgrades of mounted knights, and 2 upgrades of foot knights.
    ; No minumum religion requirement for the tire 1 because the men would immigrate from the Northern Europe anyway.

; Events to be taken into account:
    ;	140: HEAVY_MAIL
    ;	310: TRANSITIONAL_ARMOR
    ;	380: PAVISE_SHIELDS
    ;	440: HALF_PLATE_ARMOR
    ;	510: FULL_PLATE_ARMOR
    ;	600: MATCHLOCK

; 1st stage	
            recruit_pool	"Norman Cavalry"					1	0.04	2  0  requires factions { sicily, } and not event_counter HEAVY_MAIL_ARMOR 1
            recruit_pool	"Norman Cavalry"					1	0.03	2  0  requires factions { sicily, } and event_counter HEAVY_MAIL_ARMOR 1 and not event_counter TRANSITIONAL_ARMOR 1

recruit_pool	"Dismounted Norman Cavalry"		0.9	0.04	2  0  requires factions { sicily, } and not event_counter HEAVY_MAIL_ARMOR 1
            recruit_pool	"Dismounted Norman Cavalry"		0.9	0.03	2  0  requires factions { sicily, } and event_counter HEAVY_MAIL_ARMOR 1 and not event_counter TRANSITIONAL_ARMOR 1

; 2nd stage			
            recruit_pool	"Norman Knights"					0.9	0.03	2  0  requires factions { sicily, } and region_religion catholic 25 and event_counter HEAVY_MAIL_ARMOR 1 and not event_counter TRANSITIONAL_ARMOR 1
            recruit_pool	"Norman Knights"					1	0.04	2  0  requires factions { sicily, } and region_religion catholic 25 and event_counter TRANSITIONAL_ARMOR 1 and not event_counter HALF_PLATE_ARMOR 1
            recruit_pool	"Norman Knights"					1	0.03	2  0  requires factions { sicily, } and region_religion catholic 25 and event_counter HALF_PLATE_ARMOR 1 and not event_counter MATCHLOCK 1

recruit_pool	"Dismounted Norman Knights"		0.8	0.03	2  0  requires factions { sicily, } and region_religion catholic 25 and event_counter HEAVY_MAIL_ARMOR 1 and not event_counter TRANSITIONAL_ARMOR 1
            recruit_pool	"Dismounted Norman Knights"		0.9	0.04	2  0  requires factions { sicily, } and region_religion catholic 25 and event_counter TRANSITIONAL_ARMOR 1 and not event_counter HALF_PLATE_ARMOR 1
            recruit_pool	"Dismounted Norman Knights"		0.9	0.03	2  0  requires factions { sicily, } and region_religion catholic 25 and event_counter HALF_PLATE_ARMOR 1 and not event_counter MATCHLOCK 1

; 3rd stage            
            recruit_pool	"Chivalric Knights"				0.9	0.03	2  0  requires factions { sicily, } and region_religion catholic 25 and event_counter TRANSITIONAL_ARMOR 1 and not event_counter HALF_PLATE_ARMOR 1
            recruit_pool	"Chivalric Knights"				1	0.04	2  0  requires factions { sicily, } and region_religion catholic 25 and event_counter HALF_PLATE_ARMOR 1 and not event_counter MATCHLOCK 1
            recruit_pool	"Chivalric Knights"				1	0.07	2  0  requires factions { sicily, } and region_religion catholic 25 and event_counter MATCHLOCK 1

recruit_pool	"Dismounted Chivalric Knights"  0.8	0.03	2  0  requires factions { sicily, } and region_religion catholic 25 and event_counter TRANSITIONAL_ARMOR 1 and not event_counter HALF_PLATE_ARMOR 1
            recruit_pool	"Dismounted Chivalric Knights"  0.9	0.04	2  0  requires factions { sicily, } and region_religion catholic 25 and event_counter HALF_PLATE_ARMOR 1 and not event_counter MATCHLOCK 1 
            recruit_pool	"Dismounted Chivalric Knights"  0.9	0.07	2  0  requires factions { sicily, } and region_religion catholic 25 and event_counter MATCHLOCK 1

I think I found some bugs in my English campaign (+50 turns) with version 0.98 from April.

The regional title of Aberdeen (scotland) I cannot get with my general.
    When the king died the heir was Henry and he became King but the new heir passed to another family (a family that I adopted and does not have royal blood) is there any reason why this happens? Because it did not happen to other relatives but with royal blood ??( english bloodline).

-A curiosity and great immersion that I had in this campaign is that after a failed crusade on my part because I could not reach the holy land before fulfilling the objective, I had to disband my crusading forces due to their high cost but along the way of Back in Europe I was able to recruit an army of mercenaries of various nationalities such as Bulgarians, Slavs, Germans, Franks... and it took me at least 15-20 shifts to return home, dodging various armies and cities on my way that blocked my way , in addition to sustaining my economy so that I did not have to disband my mercenary army, fighting and making peace with the annoying and defiant French. My current king along with a relative and his army of mercenaries waited to conquer the Flemish city of Utrecht after numerous French sieges and already weakened I conquered them with said multinational army, after this the HRE together with his princess offered alliance and marriage to my heir to have the French as a common enemy.

I leave you my savegame so you can take a look and the truth is that I have reloaded the game several times so that things go well for me because this mod is really immersive and challenging!

the only thing I miss is having Welsh AOR units in my army like the lancers and their longbowmen...

HERE IS MY SAVED:

Ingleses.rar
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Quote Originally Posted by j.a.luna View Post
    When the king died the heir was Henry and he became King but the new heir passed to another family (a family that I adopted and does not have royal blood) is there any reason why this happens? Because it did not happen to other relatives but with royal blood ??( english bloodline).
    Nice ride through Europe j.a.luna !
    This is also what I see with each of my French, Aragonese, Castilian, Pisan...etc campaigns. I don't know if it's fixable but I never understood the logic of AI choosing heirs.

Every character as a hidden stat: authority, that you can only see on the faction leader panel. Usually the game goes with the character with the most authority as heir.