Thread: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

Default Re: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

Crash to desktop "medieval 2 encountered unspecified error" on trying to load into the campaign save or any of them - loading bar does not even move. LAA on, windowed basic view, clean reinstallation of a mod and game, med 2 and kingdoms.exe are running with win 7 compatibility, 0.98 mod version, using map and bin file cleaner before running SSHIP. At first it was only happening at trying to play on full screen view, then random crashes in campaign, then failing on loading campaign several times and now it has come to this. Map and bin file cleaner after second attempt to launch it gives this:
    Could Not Find D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\SSHIP_098\data\text\campaign_descriptions.txt.strings.bin
    Could Not Find D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\SSHIP_098\data\text\expanded.txt.strings.bin
    Could Not Find D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\SSHIP_098\data\text\export_ancillaries.txt.strings.bin
    Could Not Find D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\SSHIP_098\data\text\export_buildings.txt.strings.bin
    Could Not Find D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\SSHIP_098\data\text\export_units.txt.strings.bin
    Could Not Find D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\SSHIP_098\data\text\export_VnVs.txt.strings.bin
    Could Not Find D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\SSHIP_098\data\text\historic_events.txt.strings.bin
    Could Not Find D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\SSHIP_098\data\text\imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt.strings.bin
    Could Not Find D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\SSHIP_098\data\text\names.txt.strings.bin
    Could Not Find D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\SSHIP_098\data\text\quotes.txt.strings.bin
    Could Not Find D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\SSHIP_098\data\text\event_strings.txt.strings.bin
    Could Not Find D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\SSHIP_098\data\world\maps\base\map.rwm.

Log file here https://www.mediafire.com/file/fqmvw.../full.log/file

I tried running this on various configurations of resolution and nothing. Also I checked if my GPU software or drivers are messed up. Same goes for downloading mod file once again.

I'll point a couple of bugs I met during the game (maybe you are aware of them anyway)

I'm playing with Georgia.

1) It's impossible to play a battle with the unit "Caucasian hillmen" in your army. As soon as the battle is loading you get a CTD
    2) I was besieging the castle of Qalaqa (or something like that, the castle south of Trebizond) and in battle the walls were...flying? So I couldn't fight on the walls, but I could enter in the city and fighting in this "fantasy" setting.

So far no more gamebreaking problems.

Seems like something went wrong. All my battles now show blank minimap and the battlefield is always plain and simple. I tried to run another campaign and everything runs ok.
    Any idea how to fix my Georgia's campaign? I was enjoying it.

Domitianus - maybe you installed some other mod or changed something during the Georgian campaign? I have no other idea why your problems appear.. Looks like some memory problem. I remember once installing SS6.4 while playing a campaign in SSHIP and suddenly all my new generals were repulsive to behold and idiots and I had no smallest clue what happened. After cleaning the files and starting a new campaign everything went back to good.

Quote Originally Posted by Macaras View Post
    Domitianus - maybe you installed some other mod or changed something during the Georgian campaign? I have no other idea why your problems appear.. Looks like some memory problem. I remember once installing SS6.4 while playing a campaign in SSHIP and suddenly all my new generals were repulsive to behold and idiots and I had no smallest clue what happened. After cleaning the files and starting a new campaign everything went back to good.

I didn't install anything after the 0.98.
    Everything went wrong after the infamous besiege of the castle of Qalaqala, where all the structures were flying over the battefield but I could fight in the streets ahaha Then the battle generator went nuts and I play battles all in the same landscape. It happens just in the Georgia campaign...as far as I know
    I searched back in this thread and the flying castle of Qalaqala was a problem another guy faced. But I don't know if after that battle, everything went worng to him too. I have no clues
    This is the punishment for 100 turns without a crash

So then the easiest solution would be loading the game from before qualikala and autoresolve.. if you guarded the save

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

@Domitianus93 : I already met a flying castle with an Abbasid campaign a few months ago...
    I don't know if the problem has been fixed since I don't know how it fixes itself.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

no, there's nobody in the team with the skills to fix the flying Qaliqala

Got some bugs to report, along with my first big proofread project.

Bugs (note: these all deal with the same issue)
    -Leon, Aragon, & Portugal: Town Guard unlocks Axe Militia and Levy Javelinmen, but all building upgrades above remove these two units.
    -European Spanish factions: Almughavars. All factions start with some, but no way to recruit them? Time sensitive, or are they missing from the roster?
    -England: Militia Drill Square and above removes half of its roster.
    -HRE / France: Upgrading from Town Guard to City Watch removes units.
    -Denmark / Norway: Upgrading from Archery Range to Marksman’s Range removes Gestir unit.
    -Denmark / Norway: Upgrading from Town Guard to higher buildings removes units.
    -Hungary: Army Barracks (2nd highest barracks I believe?) temporarily removes Spear Militia.
    -Kiev / Novgorod: Slavic Levy Archers disappear from the City Watch building only.
    -Byzantine: Aconistae unit vanishes from the Armory (top barracks)
    -Crusasder States: Axe Militia unit vanishes on City Watch and above.
    -Crusader States: Various units vanish and reappear as the castle barracks line is upgraded.

I tested a few of the above instances by upgrading, and the units did indeed vanish. The city of Leon starts with an upgraded barracks, which has fewer units than its far-smaller neighbors, so that's an easy way to confirm this issue. Most info about these was gathered when checking the buildings of each faction. If need be, I can provide screenshots.

SSHIP Proofreading and Text Improvement Project: first pass

Most of my efforts this time around focused on unit and building descriptions, with a few ancillaries and traits. Mostly I cleaned up text, split big walls into paragraphs, and added some better descriptions on neglected units. Exceptions listed below:

-Acontistae: Their unit description was a literal copy-paste of the Psiloi Toxotae, and made absolutely no sense, so I removed it and put a placeholder in. I plan on writing up a fresh description for them in the future after doing some research. Whoever wrote for the Byzantine units REALLY did their homework, so I was hoping to maintain that same level of quality.

-Some units were barebones or gabled infodumps. For those I did entire rewrites, but tried to keep the spirit of the original text in as much as possible. Small preview shown below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Desc compare.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	434.3 KB 
ID:	366583

Attachment contains:
    export_ancillaries.txt
    export_buildings.txt
    export_units.txt
    export_vnvs.txt
    Text Changes Record.txt <------- this is just a raw data file listing all changes made. Old entries vs. the new entries. Only for reference / comparison.
    All 4 text files were taken from Medieval II Total war / mods / SS6.3 / data / text. I did some test uploads, and since the ingame text changed, I assumed these were the correct files.

Lastly, some suggested name changes to units. I didn't make this change myself since ingame triggers tend to search for certain names, and altering this myself might've messed something up.
    -Foot Fari Lancers ----> Fari Foot Lancers / Dismounted Fari Lancers. Putting “foot” first sounds wrong on these units. The unit itself is a foot lancer, so it makes sense to arrange the name likewise.
    -Foot Christian Guard ----> Dismounted Christian Guard. Same reason as above.

Hopefully everything works out smoothly. Let me know if the attachment doesn't work, I will try an alternative uploading method.

Thanks Ol_Knife_Ears !

By the way, if you are going to do some tests in the future, would you mind to apply this AI, and check how it works? Especially the diplomacy and reputation mechanics.. This is a new set of files based on PiterAI. It doesn't interfere with any other game aspects (especially all the texts are unchanged) but may be tested somehow "by the way" of playing..

Link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/5q09a...-2022.zip/file

I am really curious what will be players impression. As it is right now it may be found very difficult - ai is aggresive and when the player becomes too strong everybody will attack. It sends full stacks and ai factions between themselves concentrate on defense, so there are no snowballing empires. Whoever want to accept the challenge - feel free to do it!
    Last edited by Macaras; February 07, 2022 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol_Knife_Ears View Post
    Got some bugs to report, along with my first big proofread project.

Bugs (note: these all deal with the same issue)
    -Leon, Aragon, & Portugal: Town Guard unlocks Axe Militia and Levy Javelinmen, but all building upgrades above remove these two units.
    -European Spanish factions: Almughavars. All factions start with some, but no way to recruit them? Time sensitive, or are they missing from the roster?
    -England: Militia Drill Square and above removes half of its roster.
    -HRE / France: Upgrading from Town Guard to City Watch removes units.
    -Denmark / Norway: Upgrading from Archery Range to Marksman’s Range removes Gestir unit.
    -Denmark / Norway: Upgrading from Town Guard to higher buildings removes units.
    -Hungary: Army Barracks (2nd highest barracks I believe?) temporarily removes Spear Militia.
    -Kiev / Novgorod: Slavic Levy Archers disappear from the City Watch building only.
    -Byzantine: Aconistae unit vanishes from the Armory (top barracks)
    -Crusasder States: Axe Militia unit vanishes on City Watch and above.
    -Crusader States: Various units vanish and reappear as the castle barracks line is upgraded.

I tested a few of the above instances by upgrading, and the units did indeed vanish. The city of Leon starts with an upgraded barracks, which has fewer units than its far-smaller neighbors, so that's an easy way to confirm this issue. Most info about these was gathered when checking the buildings of each faction. If need be, I can provide screenshots.

SSHIP Proofreading and Text Improvement Project: first pass

Most of my efforts this time around focused on unit and building descriptions, with a few ancillaries and traits. Mostly I cleaned up text, split big walls into paragraphs, and added some better descriptions on neglected units. Exceptions listed below:

-Acontistae: Their unit description was a literal copy-paste of the Psiloi Toxotae, and made absolutely no sense, so I removed it and put a placeholder in. I plan on writing up a fresh description for them in the future after doing some research. Whoever wrote for the Byzantine units REALLY did their homework, so I was hoping to maintain that same level of quality.

-Some units were barebones or gabled infodumps. For those I did entire rewrites, but tried to keep the spirit of the original text in as much as possible. Small preview shown below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Desc compare.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	434.3 KB 
ID:	366583

Attachment contains:
    export_ancillaries.txt
    export_buildings.txt
    export_units.txt
    export_vnvs.txt
    Text Changes Record.txt <------- this is just a raw data file listing all changes made. Old entries vs. the new entries. Only for reference / comparison.
    All 4 text files were taken from Medieval II Total war / mods / SS6.3 / data / text. I did some test uploads, and since the ingame text changed, I assumed these were the correct files.

Lastly, some suggested name changes to units. I didn't make this change myself since ingame triggers tend to search for certain names, and altering this myself might've messed something up.
    -Foot Fari Lancers ----> Fari Foot Lancers / Dismounted Fari Lancers. Putting “foot” first sounds wrong on these units. The unit itself is a foot lancer, so it makes sense to arrange the name likewise.
    -Foot Christian Guard ----> Dismounted Christian Guard. Same reason as above.

Hopefully everything works out smoothly. Let me know if the attachment doesn't work, I will try an alternative uploading method.
    Hi @Ol kNife and also ssip team, currently i am also with unit text and some descriptions for tittles in campaign map. It would be a good idea for us to join forces with this work, I leave you here some things that I have done regarding this, I have changed some names of units, as well as I have added more descriptions and attributes for the current units:

1.frighten_foot attribute---Most professional troops with 2-handed axes have the "frigthen_foot nearby enemies" attribute, to make the fear that their opponents would have to feel when facing such a feared weapon more realistic in the game as well as to its power to penetrate armor and break formations.
    This attribute of terrifying enemy infantry has also been added to the heaviest cavalry in the game such as the Katapraktoi or other cavalry that were covered in armor and offered a powerful shock force against the enemy.

2.shield_wall formation--- This attribute has been included in most Roman (Byzantine) infantry units as well as their elite units to reflect the legacy of Roman formations in their army as well as the famous "fulkum" of the Byzantine infantry.
    This attribute has also been added to many Scandinavian units for their famous use of the shield wall in their tactics and in some European and Eastern elite units (such as knights, ghulams, caliphal guard...), as well as for urban militias.

3.Also, for singular and exceptional units such as the naffatun or siphonatores, both attributes of scaring mounted units and infantry have been added (Everyone would be afraid of dying burned by this type of fire).

4.Improved unit descriptions as well as updated unit names for better immersion in the game.For example saxon huskarls now are called "Anglosaxon-Huskarls", varangian guard---"Tagmata Anglovarangian Guard", Slavic Axemen---Rus Axemen

5.Improvement in the names and titles of the characters on the campaign map, especially for Castilians, Aragonese, Portuguese and Byzantines.

The files that I have touched have been the following:
    -expanded.txt
    -export_units.txt
    -export_descr_unit.txt

Here the file:
    MODIFICADOS.rar

-For other hand Jurand, give me the instructions to follow the work with PTF...I still have in my possession the new descriptions and titles for Iberia .
    I could help you advance work with that, you just have to explain to me again how to do it and give me your instructions regarding the effects that each settlement is going to have.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Wow, there are lots of good things happening on this thread !
    @j.a.luna, your modifications seem relevant to me and should mix with the corrections of Ol_Knife_Ears and be introduced in the next beta.

Quote Originally Posted by kostic View Post
    Wow, there are lots of good things happening on this thread !
    @j.a.luna, your modifications seem relevant to me and should mix with the corrections of Ol_Knife_Ears and be introduced in the next beta.
    Thank you very much Kostic for your opinion!
    although I would still like to continue improving the descriptions of units and names as well as their attributes when I get more free time.

On the other hand, regarding the incorporation of the "shield wall" attribute in the units that I explained earlier, it is because it was really used as well as its use was more common than the "Shiltrom" formation, (this was actually used almost exclusively by the Scottish), although it is true that to give variety to the game I have left some European units with shiltrom formation, especially units such as lancer sergeants or elite Russian units (such as the home guard of Novgorod) to fight against the Mongol cavalry.

- Regarding the unique names for the campaign characters I have distinguished between the "royal family" and minor nobles/generals.
    For example, for the Byzantines in the 12th century the title of "Sebastos" was used for the high nobles and imperial family and the title of "Strategos or Doux" was normally for the military chiefs of a theme or territory or commanders of lesser nobility.
    For the Castilians it was "Duque" for the royal family and normally "Conde" or Lord for minor nobles in charge of a county or señorio.
    To the French I put "Chevalier" for the royal family, "Delfin" for the heir and "Ecouyer" for minor nobles or generals.
    If you can give more information about it I would appreciate it!
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

A recurring bug that blocks my campaign with Léon/Castille:
    22:54:09.813 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <inc_event_counter> at line 55254 in mods/SSHIP_098/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt22:54:09.813 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <historic_event> at line 55257 in mods/SSHIP_098/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    22:54:09.814 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/SSHIP_098/data/ui/southern_european/eventpics/BERBER_HELP_FOR_MOORS.tga
    22:54:09.814 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/ui/southern_european/eventpics/BERBER_HELP_FOR_MOORS.tga.dds
    22:54:09.814 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/ui/southern_european/eventpics/BERBER_HELP_FOR_MOORS.tga
    22:54:09.814 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/SSHIP_098/data/ui/southern_european/eventpics/BERBER_HELP_FOR_MOORS.tga.dds
    22:54:09.814 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/SSHIP_098/data/ui/southern_european/eventpics/BERBER_HELP_FOR_MOORS.tga
    22:54:09.814 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/ui/southern_european/eventpics/BERBER_HELP_FOR_MOORS.tga.dds
    22:54:09.814 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/ui/southern_european/eventpics/BERBER_HELP_FOR_MOORS.tga
    22:54:09.814 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/SSHIP_098/data/ui/southern_european/eventpics/BERBER_HELP_FOR_MOORS.tga.dds
    22:54:09.815 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/SSHIP_098/data/ui/southern_european/eventpics/historic_event.tga (from: H:\Hyrule 6)
    22:54:09.815 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/SSHIP_098/data/ui/southern_european/eventpics/historic_event.tga.dds
    22:54:09.815 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/SSHIP_098/data/ui/southern_european/eventpics/historic_event.tga (from: H:\Hyrule 6)
    22:54:09.815 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Castille 1185

Kostic, the log that you presented doesn't have anything causing ctd IMO, maybe the cause is somewhere earlier.
    I was able to pass to the next round though : https://www.mediafire.com/file/v7kpe...185-2.sav/file

Hi team, great job on the mod, but the random crashes have made it almost unplayable for me. I'm about 200 turns into a Georgia campaign, 2 provinces and Jerusalem away from winning it, but I keep getting the "Medieval 2 has encountered an unspecified error and will now close" CTD. I've had this bug before, but reloading a save always fixed it. Now I am getting these crashes consistently at the start of the Mongols' turn (they just appeared maybe 3 turns ago), and reloading doesn't fix it.

10:32:50.677 [game.script] [always] SSHIP VERSION 0.97 BUILD 2021-08-23. For support please upload log and savegames here: https:/www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?654747-Bugs-Reports-amp-Technical-Help
    10:32:50.677 [game.script] [always] ------ difficulty : very hard
    10:32:50.677 [game.script] [always] Germanicu5 ReallyBadAI v5.7 Running. Please upload log and savegames when reporting battle CTDs for SS.
    10:33:14.251 [game.script] [always] Turn End georgia
    10:33:14.258 [game.script] [always] Turn Start sicily
    10:33:14.874 [game.script] [always] Turn End sicily
    10:33:14.880 [game.script] [always] Turn Start abbasid
    10:33:25.315 [game.script] [always] Turn End abbasid
    10:33:25.316 [game.script] [always] Turn Start denmark
    10:33:25.921 [game.script] [always] Turn End denmark
    10:33:25.924 [game.script] [always] Turn Start egypt
    10:33:44.316 [game.script] [always] Turn End egypt
    10:33:44.329 [game.script] [always] Turn Start scotland
    10:33:46.158 [game.script] [always] Turn End scotland
    10:33:46.161 [game.script] [always] Turn Start cumans
    10:33:48.981 [game.script] [always] Turn End cumans
    10:33:48.982 [game.script] [always] Turn Start turks
    10:33:54.918 [game.script] [always] Turn End turks
    10:33:54.919 [game.script] [always] Turn Start france
    10:33:56.048 [game.script] [always] Turn End france
    10:33:56.051 [game.script] [always] Turn Start hre
    10:33:57.188 [game.script] [always] Turn End hre
    10:33:57.194 [game.script] [always] Turn Start england
    10:33:57.934 [game.script] [always] Turn End england
    10:33:57.940 [game.script] [always] Turn Start portugal
    10:33:58.387 [game.script] [always] Turn End portugal
    10:33:58.391 [game.script] [always] Turn Start poland
    10:33:59.590 [game.script] [always] Turn End poland
    10:33:59.591 [game.script] [always] Turn Start byzantium
    10:33:59.642 [game.script] [error] Script execution error for <if>, at line 49143, in mods/SS6.3/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt:
    <faction> is unavailable from event <>
    when testing <NumBuildingsCompletedFaction> condition
    10:34:02.366 [game.script] [always] Turn End byzantium
    10:34:02.381 [game.script] [always] Turn Start moors
    10:34:06.004 [game.script] [always] Turn End moors
    10:34:06.013 [game.script] [always] Turn Start russia
    10:34:08.118 [game.script] [always] Turn End russia
    10:34:08.121 [game.script] [always] Turn Start spain
    10:34:08.747 [game.script] [always] Turn End spain
    10:34:08.748 [game.script] [always] Turn Start hungary
    10:34:11.829 [game.script] [always] Turn End hungary
    10:34:11.831 [game.script] [always] Turn Start aragon
    10:34:13.515 [game.script] [always] Turn End aragon
    10:34:13.520 [game.script] [always] Turn Start lithuania
    10:34:14.085 [game.script] [always] Turn End lithuania
    10:34:14.087 [game.script] [always] Turn Start kievan_rus
    10:34:20.172 [game.script] [always] Turn End kievan_rus
    10:34:20.174 [game.script] [always] Turn Start serbia
    10:34:20.415 [game.script] [always] Turn End serbia
    10:34:20.415 [game.script] [always] Turn Start venice
    10:34:24.610 [game.script] [always] Turn End venice
    10:34:24.615 [game.script] [always] Turn Start norway
    10:34:27.606 [game.script] [always] Turn End norway
    10:34:27.610 [game.script] [always] Turn Start zengid
    10:34:35.939 [game.script] [always] Turn End zengid
    10:34:35.940 [game.script] [always] Turn Start rum
    10:34:59.387 [game.script] [always] Turn End rum
    10:34:59.388 [game.script] [always] Turn Start pisa
    10:35:00.701 [game.script] [always] Turn End pisa
    10:35:00.704 [game.script] [always] Turn Start papal_states
    10:35:01.600 [game.script] [always] Turn End papal_states
    10:35:01.606 [game.script] [always] Turn Start mongols
    10:35:03.097 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

This is with the 0.97 version from Moddb (I downloaded it on the 20th of this January, so perhaps my version simply doesn't have the fix for this). Also, I tried to upload a save file for this but it says .sav is the wrong filetype :/

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

zip the save file and upload it, it should work.
    I'm sorry but me, I'll have access to my comp with the 097 version in two weeks time so I may be of little use :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Macaras View Post
    Kostic, the log that you presented doesn't have anything causing ctd IMO, maybe the cause is somewhere earlier.
    I was able to pass to the next round though : https://www.mediafire.com/file/v7kpe...185-2.sav/file
    It's weird, my backup does not pass the trick, even after several tries. The CTD occurs each time the turn of the Byzantines arrives.

I put the complete log if someone manages to understand the problem:full.rar

In the meantime, I can continue my campaign with your save, which is great. Thank you Macaras!!!

PS : I don't know how we choose to put or remove the fog... I also can't display the console for the cheat codes.

hey, i just downloaded the version 0.98 and the game starts in window mode, when i change the resolution it just applies to the window mode but with better graphics. like 800x600 window mode with 1920x1080 pixel visual. in game alt+enter does not work to enter the fullscreen. how to get the game start on fullscreen?

Quote Originally Posted by H.Templar View Post
    hey, i just downloaded the version 0.98 and the game starts in window mode, when i change the resolution it just applies to the window mode but with better graphics. like 800x600 window mode with 1920x1080 pixel visual. in game alt+enter does not work to enter the fullscreen. how to get the game start on fullscreen?
    i could not found a way to edit the post so here we go.

in this screenshot you can see the problem. https://ibb.co/7kjybh1

after i try to change anything in the setting game works just like it is fullscreen, but it shows window mode to me. when i try to click the red points on the right bottom side, it actually checks / unchecks ''campaign shadow '' box in the settings.

very strange problem, i do not know why it happened? i just download the zip file, unzip the file, ran an antivirus scan, tried to open the game with .bat launcher.