Thread: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

@Yin_YeN : Sorry, I know there are a number of units I still have to review and those from hospital orders are one of them. So it's no wonder the armor upgrades aren't visible !

Hi guys,

Experiencing a CTD after turn 273, if someone could have a look, it would be great

Here is the log:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    15:05:50.594 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0072_T_Undeclared_Attack> fired15:05:50.594 [data.transgression] [info] Applied transgression TC_UNDECLARED_ATTACK from transgressor faction 159C7908 against faction 159944B2
    15:05:50.910 [system.io] [trace] file open,,2D17D4B0,6357342
    15:05:50.910 [system.io] [info] open: found temp/campaign_battle.rpy (from: D:\Games\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War)
    15:05:50.923 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Xenophobia_Battle> fired
    15:05:50.923 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Xenophobia_Battle_Lost> fired
    15:05:50.923 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <hate_turks_12> fired
    15:05:50.923 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Counter_Of_Battles> fired
    15:05:50.923 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Philosophical_Reflection_On_War_Humane> fired
    15:05:50.923 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <SW_Battle_General_Took_Heavy_Hits> fired
    15:05:50.924 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Scarrs_from_Battle> fired
    15:05:50.924 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Battle_Brave_Bodyguard_Loss> fired
    15:05:50.924 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <BattleCoward_No_Killed_Enemies> fired
    15:05:50.924 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <BattleCoward_Loss_Without_Fight> fired
    15:05:50.924 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <soothsayer_vnv_trigger> fired
    15:05:50.924 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Xenophobia_Battle> fired
    15:05:50.924 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Counter_Of_Battles> fired
    15:05:50.996 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0055b_T_Invasion_Flee> fired
    15:05:50.996 [data.transgression] [info] Applied transgression TC_FLEE_INVASION from transgressor faction 159944B2 against faction 159C7908
    15:05:50.997 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0055b_T_Invasion_Flee> fired
    15:05:50.997 [data.transgression] [info] Applied transgression TC_FLEE_INVASION from transgressor faction 159944B2 against faction 159C7908
    15:05:50.998 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0055b_T_Invasion_Flee> fired
    15:05:50.998 [data.transgression] [info] Applied transgression TC_FLEE_INVASION from transgressor faction 159944B2 against faction 159C7908
    15:05:51.000 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0055b_T_Invasion_Flee> fired
    15:05:51.000 [data.transgression] [info] Applied transgression TC_FLEE_INVASION from transgressor faction 159944B2 against faction 159C7908
    15:05:51.028 [bink] [debug] [data/fmv/faction/minor_lose.bik]Pause on
    15:05:51.028 [bink] [debug] [data/fmv/faction/minor_lose.bik]Pause on
    15:05:51.685 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

And the saved file if anyone is interested: https://mega.nz/file/oxgEjILJ#mj_pgq...VekyI2vS6j9ONc

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

I've tried 3 times, and the crash's coming back, unfortunately.

Maybe @Gigantus would help?
    Code:
    16:17:15.594 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Counter_Of_Battles> fired16:17:15.594 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Philosophical_Reflection_On_War_Humane> fired
    16:17:15.594 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <SW_Battle_General_Took_Heavy_Hits> fired
    16:17:15.594 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Scarrs_from_Battle> fired
    16:17:15.594 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Battle_Brave_Bodyguard_Loss> fired
    16:17:15.594 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <BattleCoward_No_Killed_Enemies> fired
    16:17:15.594 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <BattleCoward_Loss_Without_Fight> fired
    16:17:15.594 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <soothsayer_vnv_trigger> fired
    16:17:15.595 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Xenophobia_Battle> fired
    16:17:15.595 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Counter_Of_Battles> fired
    16:17:15.655 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0055b_T_Invasion_Flee> fired
    16:17:15.655 [data.transgression] [info] Applied transgression TC_FLEE_INVASION from transgressor faction 16779490 against faction 167AC8E6
    16:17:15.656 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0055b_T_Invasion_Flee> fired
    16:17:15.656 [data.transgression] [info] Applied transgression TC_FLEE_INVASION from transgressor faction 16779490 against faction 167AC8E6
    16:17:15.657 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0055b_T_Invasion_Flee> fired
    16:17:15.657 [data.transgression] [info] Applied transgression TC_FLEE_INVASION from transgressor faction 16779490 against faction 167AC8E6
    16:17:15.658 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0055b_T_Invasion_Flee> fired
    16:17:15.658 [data.transgression] [info] Applied transgression TC_FLEE_INVASION from transgressor faction 16779490 against faction 167AC8E6
    16:17:15.664 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.
    @Gigantus - it happens during Rum, or between Rum and Pisa turns. The FL and FH are safe, not besieged or whatsoever.

Code:
    ;===================================================	FLEEING ARMIESTrigger 0055b_T_Invasion_Flee
        WhenToTest Transgression
        Condition TransgressionName = TC_FLEE_INVASION
    		and not FactionType jerusalem
    		and not TargetFactionType jerusalem
        FactionStanding target_faction normalise -1.0 200

Trigger 0055b_T_Invasion_Flee_KoJ_defend
        WhenToTest Transgression
    		and TargetFactionType jerusalem
    		and not FactionReligion catholic

Trigger 0055b_T_Invasion_Flee_KoJ_attack
        WhenToTest Transgression
    		and FactionType jerusalem
    		and not TargetFactionReligion catholic
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; January 07, 2022 at 10:48 AM.

Traumatic experience tonight. Jerusalem, which my Iberian faction had conquered, came under attack from the armies of the jihad.

The first part of the battle went well and my enemies were pushed out of my walls.
    Only, impossible to leave the battle ! Because if I do, the AI ​​thinks I lost. Yet the enemy no longer tries to attack and remains outside my walls ...

The only way to unblock this situation is to get my army out and have it slaughtered, which similarly resulted in the loss of the city.

This kind of inconvenience happened to me a long time ago and it's really frustrating !
    Wouldn't there be a way - perhaps with battle AI - to decide that a city or fortress defense is necessarily a winner if the player leaves the battle when the opponents are outside and no longer attacking ?

Notice to those who know how to code.
    Last edited by kostic; January 10, 2022 at 06:44 PM.

I add an image to illustrate the above problem.

This image illustrates another recurring problem:
    my general got this negative trait as he made a heroic sortie out of a besieged city and slaughtered a number of enemies before returning to the shelter of the walls.
    @Jurand of Cracow: is there really no way to change that ?

Quote Originally Posted by kostic View Post
    I add an image to illustrate the above problem.

This image illustrates another recurring problem:
    my general got this negative trait as he made a heroic sortie out of a besieged city and slaughtered a number of enemies before returning to the shelter of the walls.
    @Jurand of Cracow: is there really no way to change that ?
    ad 1. - it's why I always play with the time limit of 1 hour. It's a fall-back if something goes wrong with the AI.
    ad. 2 - hmmm, it shouldn't happen anymore. Maybe you get this negative trait after that mentioned battle where you've (technically) lost? After a lost battle it's possible, iirc.

1 - Thanks for the idea. I had forgotten this option which I have never activated since playing M2TW. This is arguably the best thing to do if the end-of-battle coding isn't editable.

2- It was not a defeat. When a city is under siege, there is the possibility of fighting to liberate it, but when the enemy army is too large, making an exit to weaken the adversary can be useful before returning to take shelter in the enclosure. That's what I did. despite the courage of the general who left to fight, he then found himself with the trait "faltering courage".

I did this battle again to try to verify this. Each time, I made my general take big risks and forced him to fight. First, here is the situation before the battle:

You can read the last lines of the general's particularities in the small rectangle at the top right

This exit from Jerusalem will be against 2 armies

Here is the starting position with radar visualization. Notice the general's skill level before the battle ...

To counter the enemy reinforcement army, my general sends javelinmens to the south-eastern ramparts of the city

First losses among my enemies
    Exit of the general and his bodyguards

The enemy army tries to regroup out of range of the arrows of the defense of the city. My knights attack the laggards relentlessly

Despite the risk of a lance piercing the sides of the horses, my general and his men charge the Arab infantry without hesitation.

Helped by my knights Hidalgos, my general carries out several charges. Here against a bodyguard unit of a Fatimid general

These attacks are fatal for my knights too ... 13 knights ...

Some isolated units try to make me pay their losses

Helped by the shots coming from the towers, my general makes them pay dearly for their recklessness !

After all this fighting, my unit has been greatly reduced, but my general has gained gallons and he taunts his opponents one last time before returning to the shelter of the walls.

The situation of the armies before I leave the battle

The enemy losses are much more important than mine ... mission accomplished !

The trait obtained this time is not "faltering courage", but is not very rewarding after all these heroic actions ...

My general has also lost a star of command against a religious halo. So he was a bad strategist ?

I started the same battle again to try to find the "faltering courage" trait, I had another trait instead ... unfortunately still quite inappropriate, don't you think ?

Conclusion: the particular case - but which can happen often - of a general who courageously attacks his enemies during an sortie does not give a satisfactory trait and even contrary to what it should be, given the risk taken by the player losing his general.

I believe - but I have no knowledge of scripting - that there should only be this type of trait for generals who have not personally participated in a fight. As soon as a general takes part in a fight:
    - especially if he kills a lot of opponents
    - especially if he is injured
    This one should obtain positive traits and / or valuing his courage.
    Last edited by kostic; January 12, 2022 at 05:34 PM.

All of which is very true and convicing, but what matters is the way you've ended the battle. As you haven't had this time option, you've withdrawn. Thus the outcome of the battle is a DRAW, not a win, you haven't won. And your army was routed from the field (I guess, from the point of view of the engine). This is a problem for coding: all "not WonBattle" triggers fires. This one must have fired for you:

;--------------------------------------------------------- Disciplinarian post battle;only the human player as AI won't be able to handle this.
    Trigger UndisciplinedArmy_a
    WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition IsGeneral
    and not WonBattle
    and PercentageRoutedOffField >= 40
    and FactionIsLocal

Affects BadDisciplinarian 2 Chance 80
    Affects BadDisciplinarian 2 Chance 50

We should add something like "and caused no casualties" "and was not hurt" ...
    You can't accept these unfair traits if you can do something about it with coding. Better that the general harvest nothing than negative traits !
    I cannot take the information panel when I leave the battle after an outing, but it is clearly stated on it: "your exit was a success ! You can now leave the battle"

Why don't we change these traits? I totally agree with Kostic - the leniency traits (poor disciplinarian, too lenient etc.) and faltering courage are right now unreasonable and unhistorical IMO. Why general have to fight himself in the battle? that was not always the case and it was not cowardly generals who wouldn't fight themselves.. Some factions have the archer units as general, or stay inside during the siege, why do they have to be penalize for that.. Besides that, I was trying to understand the logic of the "poor disciplinarian", but without reading the code it makes no sense. To me it just appears somewhere in the game, and I learned not to pay attention to it. I also don't think these traits add anything important to the game - together with my most hated trait - "senile and co." "Regent" is another thing, I understand its much more complicated, but the others could be easily changed..

To stay on top of this topic, these negative traits are both inappropriate but also contradictory. See what it looks like on the same previous general who won the last battle:

filmfixed's Avatar Libertus

Absolutely love playing the mod everyone, such great improvements on SS 6.4. I am however constantly getting CTD maybe every 3 or 4 turns, with the generic unspecified error being the most common.

These can sometimes occur while moving the map over a particular area say egypt or during other factions turns or while the turn is transitioning to my turn from the rebels who go last or while selecting a random character. I have saves for each turn as I have progressed and so can almost always load back and the issues seem to only repeat 3/4 times. Then I usually get another couple of turns before more crashing.

I am playing as the Eastern Roman Empire on H/H. I have made it to turn 34, but really would like to be able to play more than a couple of turns before CTD. I am playing on SSHIP 0.98 beta (KCC included) - 21.11.2021.

Below is the last crash that occured.
    11:44:36.135 [data.transgression] [info] Applied transgression TC_FLEE_INVASION from transgressor faction 1EB0A6A2 against faction 1EB0886211:44:36.140 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0055b_T_Invasion_Flee> fired
    11:44:36.140 [data.transgression] [info] Applied transgression TC_FLEE_INVASION from transgressor faction 1EB0A6A2 against faction 1EB08862
    11:44:36.144 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0055b_T_Invasion_Flee> fired
    11:44:36.144 [data.transgression] [info] Applied transgression TC_FLEE_INVASION from transgressor faction 1EB0A6A2 against faction 1EB08862
    11:44:36.148 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0055b_T_Invasion_Flee> fired
    11:44:36.148 [data.transgression] [info] Applied transgression TC_FLEE_INVASION from transgressor faction 1EB0A6A2 against faction 1EB08862
    11:44:36.151 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0055b_T_Invasion_Flee> fired
    11:44:36.151 [data.transgression] [info] Applied transgression TC_FLEE_INVASION from transgressor faction 1EB0A6A2 against faction 1EB08862
    11:44:36.153 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0055b_T_Invasion_Flee> fired
    11:44:36.153 [data.transgression] [info] Applied transgression TC_FLEE_INVASION from transgressor faction 1EB0A6A2 against faction 1EB08862
    11:44:36.185 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Sometimes the crashes occur without the log file saying much of anything even without an entry displaying the generic unspecified error.

This is also my second install and the same sorts of crashes were occuring on my other install too.

The most annoying crash at the very start of my campaign was caused simply by clicking on the ERE spy in Anatolia. This was only resolved when on one loaded save attempt I was able to click the spy and get them killed by entering a city.

I really badly want to play much more smoothly through this mod but am finding it very difficult.

I'll keep adding all the crash logs below as they continually occur.

This one occured during the loading screen after winning a battle against rebels in southern Italy, battle only had 6 or so units total between me and the enemy.
    14:00:02.094 [system.io] [info] open: found mods/SSHIP_098/data/banners/symbols7.tga.dds (from: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War)14:00:02.094 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/SSHIP_098/mods/SSHIP_098/data/banners/symbols8.tga
    14:00:02.095 [system.io] [trace] file open,,mods/SSHIP_098/data/banners/symbols8.tga.dds,22000
    14:00:02.095 [system.io] [info] open: found mods/SSHIP_098/data/banners/symbols8.tga.dds (from: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War)
    14:00:02.095 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/SSHIP_098/mods/SSHIP_098/data/banners/symbols9.tga
    14:00:02.095 [system.io] [trace] file open,,mods/SSHIP_098/data/banners/symbols9.tga.dds,22000
    14:00:02.095 [system.io] [info] open: found mods/SSHIP_098/data/banners/symbols9.tga.dds (from: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War)
    14:00:02.095 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/SSHIP_098/mods/SSHIP_098/data/banners/symbols10.tga
    14:00:02.095 [system.io] [trace] file open,,mods/SSHIP_098/data/banners/symbols10.tga.dds,22000
    14:00:02.095 [system.io] [info] open: found mods/SSHIP_098/data/banners/symbols10.tga.dds (from: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War)
    14:00:02.173 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

And again a minute later I CTD after navigating over egypt.
    14:05:36.615 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/SSHIP_098/data/ui/units/byzantium/#dromon.tga (from: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War)14:05:41.613 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/SSHIP_098/saves/Rhomaion XXXV.sav (from: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War)
    14:05:42.141 [system.io] [trace] file open,,2C80CEB8,4002421
    14:05:42.141 [system.io] [info] open: found mods/SSHIP_098/saves/Rhomaion XXXV.sav (from: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War)
    14:05:45.559 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Another crash while exiting a larger battle in Italy, I waited a good few minutes before concluding exiting the battle too.
    15:30:04.318 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/SSHIP_098/data/KCC_models_strat/textures/Fancy_General_france.tga.dds is missing
    15:30:04.324 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/SSHIP_098/data/KCC_models_strat/textures/Fancy_General_hre.tga.dds is missing
    15:30:04.325 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/SSHIP_098/data/KCC_models_strat/textures/Fancy_General_hungary.tga.dds is missing
    15:30:04.326 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/SSHIP_098/data/KCC_models_strat/textures/Fancy_General_norway.tga.dds is missing
    15:30:04.327 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/SSHIP_098/data/KCC_models_strat/textures/Fancy_General_poland.tga.dds is missing
    15:30:04.328 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/SSHIP_098/data/KCC_models_strat/textures/Fancy_General_portugal.tga.dds is missing
    15:30:04.328 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/SSHIP_098/data/KCC_models_strat/textures/Fancy_General_scotland.tga.dds is missing
    15:30:04.329 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/SSHIP_098/data/KCC_models_strat/textures/Fancy_General_serbia.tga.dds is missing
    15:30:04.330 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Another crash while the turn was transitioning from rebels to me.
    16:50:35.221 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <inc_counter> at line 60748 in mods/SSHIP_098/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt16:50:35.221 [game.script.counter] [trace] counter <bishop_count> = -28
    16:50:35.221 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <log_counter> at line 60749 in mods/SSHIP_098/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    16:50:35.221 [game.script] [always] bishop_count = -28
    16:50:35.221 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Global_Settlement_Type_City> fired
    16:50:35.221 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Global_Tax_Level_Low> fired
    16:50:35.221 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Global_Loyalty_Level_Penalty> fired
    16:50:35.221 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Global_Building_Idle> fired
    16:50:35.221 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Global_Building_Active> fired
    16:50:35.316 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Another crash while exiting a small battle
    18:03:42.792 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/SSHIP_098/data/terrain/aerial_map/tree_models/textures/tree_03.tga.dds is missing18:03:42.798 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/SSHIP_098/data/terrain/aerial_map/roads/road_dirt.tga.dds is missing
    18:03:42.798 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/SSHIP_098/data/terrain/aerial_map/roads/road_dirt_X.tga.dds is missing
    18:03:42.798 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/SSHIP_098/data/terrain/aerial_map/roads/road_dirt_T.tga.dds is missing
    18:03:42.799 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/SSHIP_098/data/terrain/aerial_map/roads/road_stone.tga.dds is missing
    18:03:42.799 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/SSHIP_098/data/terrain/aerial_map/roads/road_stone_X.tga.dds is missing
    18:03:42.799 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/SSHIP_098/data/terrain/aerial_map/roads/road_stone_T.tga.dds is missing
    18:03:42.804 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/SSHIP_098/data/terrain/aerial_map/ships/textures/Riczu_trade_boat_new.tga.dds is missing
    18:03:42.811 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/SSHIP_098/data/world/maps/base/water_surface.tga.dds is missing
    18:03:42.824 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/SSHIP_098/data/terrain/aerial_map/sea/waves.tga.dds is missing
    18:03:42.888 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Another crash while transitioning to my turn from rebels.
    18:21:31.724 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Ecumenical_Patriarch_Relations> fired18:21:31.724 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Byzantium> fired
    18:21:31.724 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <ByzantiumBig> fired
    18:21:31.724 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <ByzantiumHuge> fired
    18:21:31.724 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0083b_Update_Allies> fired
    18:21:31.724 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0084b_Update_Enemies> fired
    18:21:31.724 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0085_Update_Religion> fired
    18:21:31.724 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0086_Update_Tall_Poppy1> fired
    18:21:31.724 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0087_Update_Tall_Poppy2> fired
    18:21:31.724 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0088_Update_Tall_Poppy3> fired
    18:21:31.724 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0107_Update_Untrustworthy_Factions_Major> fired
    18:21:31.724 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0108_Update_Untrustworthy_Factions_Minor> fired
    18:21:31.724 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0049_P_Normalise_Non_catholic> fired
    18:21:31.724 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Global_DecreaseOverTime> fired
    18:21:31.724 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Thiefs_No_Guild_Bonus> fired
    18:21:31.724 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Assassins_No_Guild_Bonus> fired
    18:21:31.724 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Swordsmiths_No_Guild_Bonus> fired
    18:21:31.724 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Woodsmens_No_Guild_Bonus> fired
    18:21:31.724 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <HorseBreeders_No_Guild_Bonus> fired
    18:21:31.855 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Have read back through this thread and am trying some of the solutions, namely Large Address Aware and run as administrator. Will report back.
    Cheers
    Last edited by filmfixed; January 16, 2022 at 07:31 PM.

The only random crashes i get are from 4 to 11 turns or more, i think it is from bad AI scripting.

version 097 is crashy, and without LAA is much more. There's been so many changes and fixes over the last year that I wouldn't advise playing that version.

Thanks for the tip!

Upon a closer look, I have copy and pasted the wrong version from the title of the download link thread.

I am playing on the latest beta version (November '21)

SSHIP_098_21.11.2021

Using LAA has drastically improved the incidences of crashing though. I'll continue to report anymore that occur but I feel that this adjustment is actually necessary for this submod.

Cheers

Can confirm that LAA has held up really well today. Only one crash today out of about 6 hours of play.

Here is the latest crash I had again while moving the map over Egypt.

22:21:34.907 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/SSHIP_098/data/terrain/aerial_map/roads/road_stone_T.tga.dds is missing22:21:34.911 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/SSHIP_098/data/terrain/aerial_map/ships/textures/Riczu_trade_boat_new.tga.dds is missing
    22:21:34.918 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/SSHIP_098/data/world/maps/base/water_surface.tga.dds is missing
    22:21:34.928 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/SSHIP_098/data/terrain/aerial_map/sea/waves.tga.dds is missing
    22:21:35.035 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <battle_wait> at line 46075 in mods/SSHIP_098/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    22:21:35.035 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <wait_monitors> at line 64503 in mods/SSHIP_098/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    22:25:56.912 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Cheers

@filmfixed: have you checked that no other software is running in the background?
    This type of CTD happened to me some time ago and disappeared when I closed all my background software, especially my browser. I nevertheless confirm Jurand's point of view that the 098 beta version has fewer crashes than the 097.

Thanks for the tips, I thought initially that this did help. And maybe it reduces it a little.

But just got the crash again without any other programs running.

23:36:11.985 [game.script.counter] [trace] counter <a2u17_distance> = 023:36:11.985 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <set_counter> at line 46353 in mods/SSHIP_098/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    23:36:11.985 [game.script.counter] [trace] counter <a2u18_distance> = 0
    23:36:11.985 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <set_counter> at line 46354 in mods/SSHIP_098/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    23:36:11.985 [game.script.counter] [trace] counter <a2u19_distance> = 0
    23:36:11.985 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <set_counter> at line 46355 in mods/SSHIP_098/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    23:36:11.985 [game.script.counter] [trace] counter <a2u20_distance> = 0
    23:36:12.585 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Admiral_FoughtBattle_Landlubber> fired
    23:36:12.585 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Admiral_WonBattle_Landlubber> fired
    23:36:12.585 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Admiral_LostBattle_Normal_Landlubber> fired
    23:36:24.030 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Happened this time more specifically while hovering over Al-Qahira.
    00:26:09.360 [game.script.counter] [trace] counter <a2u20_distance> = 000:26:10.227 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Counter_Of_Battles> fired
    00:26:10.227 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <VV_Triumph_In_Capture> fired
    00:26:10.227 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <battle3Chivalry1_UnfairBattle> fired
    00:26:13.442 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <inc_event_counter> at line 10935 in mods/SSHIP_098/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    00:26:13.442 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <log> at line 10936 in mods/SSHIP_098/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    00:26:13.442 [game.script] [always] --- player_aggressivity inc by 5
    00:26:13.442 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <sphere_byzantium> fired
    00:26:13.442 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Settlement_Capture_Brave> fired
    00:26:13.443 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0052_T_Invaded_Settlement_Rebels> fired
    00:28:57.021 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0083_Demeanour> fired
    00:30:21.213 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.
    Last edited by filmfixed; January 18, 2022 at 07:31 AM.

Hmm... These CTDs seem to be triggered by Triggers within the campaign_script file

If the CTD repeats despite reloading the save, Gigantus has a workaround that I used a while ago:
    - Save the campaign_script file (make a copy)
    - Delete the last incriminated Trigger(s) in the campaign_script
    - Skip around the CTD (which normally shouldn't spawn)
    - Once the problem is over, restore the original file and continue your campaign.

Do these crashes happen when you hover over map, or while you wait for the AI to make its moves (ie after pressing End turn)?

The times between what's in the log and the crashes are actually very long, it seems there's no relation between those crashes and what had happened before.

I would say there's no indication that the source of the crashes is script or EDCT/EDA (too long times between something in the log and a crash), while there're indications that the source comes from graphical side (crash while hovering over a place in the map).

The script is loaded only once for a campaign, so any change in the script will be implement only after one starts a new game.
    Besides, there're no triggers in the script (there're monitors). Triggers are in the EDCT and EDA, and these can be changed during playing a campaing.