Thread: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

Default Re: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

I have a very weird bug with a princess of mine. What I did was marry a general off of hungary, and said general was in a stack with some units and two other generals. When my marrying attempt succeeds, I will for some reason get the entire stack - generals and units included, but the general I married will leave the stack as expected. Now what's even more strange is that even though I get the generals, I will not be able to view their traits/ancillaries, they will be considered unknown. When I hover over the stack, it will also say "captain" and not "general". It gets even more weird when I separate one of the generals from the stack - in that case, the general will switch sides from my faction (poland) to hungary again and I will no longer be able to control him. When I merge other troops from my faction with the newly acquired generals, they will convert back to hungary but turn invisible. Unfortunately I cannot replicate this right now because somehow my princess is hardcoded to fail the marriage now, I tried like 15 times with 35% and it will fail every single time..

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Po0gles View Post
    I have a very weird bug with a princess of mine. What I did was marry a general off of hungary, and said general was in a stack with some units and two other generals. When my marrying attempt succeeds, I will for some reason get the entire stack - generals and units included, but the general I married will leave the stack as expected. Now what's even more strange is that even though I get the generals, I will not be able to view their traits/ancillaries, they will be considered unknown. When I hover over the stack, it will also say "captain" and not "general". It gets even more weird when I separate one of the generals from the stack - in that case, the general will switch sides from my faction (poland) to hungary again and I will no longer be able to control him. When I merge other troops from my faction with the newly acquired generals, they will convert back to hungary but turn invisible. Unfortunately I cannot replicate this right now because somehow my princess is hardcoded to fail the marriage now, I tried like 15 times with 35% and it will fail every single time..
    This is a part of the Stainless Steel Magical Improvement Project.

I image you've got a crash in some time? Or you're able to continue playing?

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    First - welcome to the forum!
    Second - thanks for reporting!
    Third - me, I have not idea about it (but I don't deal with modding diplomacy ). Maybe somebody else from the team.
    Thanks, I've been playing SSHIP for almost two years and I really love your work, I can say that is the best M2TW mod. I will upload and image so you can see what I mean about the map problem with the Abbasisds. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210604195308_1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	842.1 KB 
ID:	364963

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    This is a part of the Stainless Steel Magical Improvement Project.

I image you've got a crash in some time? Or you're able to continue playing?
    Oh really, so once you marry a general you are supposed to get all the units that were with him? That's pretty incredible. But surely you are not supposed to get the other generals, do you? That would be pretty crazy . In any case, this feature seemed quite bugged to me. I did crash when I did specific operations; if i remember correctly the game would crash when I would separate all the troops from the generals I got, that gave me a weird runtime error I hadn't experienced prior to this. But I reloaded because the whole thing looked like a buggy mess to me and as I said I didn't manage to get that marriage again, sadly.

EDIT: I tried marrying another general from the Byzantinum, and it worked fine this time, I didn't get the general's army but just the general. No bugs this time
    Last edited by Po0gles; June 07, 2021 at 07:23 AM.

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

My last test with the patch JoC_098_D_Day patch + version of May 10 reconstituted by Belovèse:
    2 CTD with England: once at the start of the battle, the other time at the end of the same battle.
    The first log didn't seem to give me an explanation.
    The 2nd log indicates a quirk of the same type already reported in the bug and report thread:
    00:12:07.105 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/SSHIP_098/data/ui/northern_european/eventpics/vnv_traitchange.tga.dds
    00:12:07.105 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/SSHIP_098/data/ui/northern_european/eventpics/vnv_traitchange.tga
    what are these files ... tga.dds and which file is requesting them ?

Currently, I think my CTD is due to an incompatibility between my campaign (started with the May 10 version) and the new version. I'm checking it out ...
    Last edited by kostic; June 11, 2021 at 06:01 AM.

Finally the CTD in the 31st round with the English faction seems to have resolved itself by adding a missing file in the ui / slave folder and maybe also missing files in data / globallighting that I am going to look for on my M2TW unzipped vanilla version Kingdoms.
    I will do further testing with the very latest beta to confirm.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kostic View Post
    What are these files ... tga.dds and which file is requesting them ?
    It's the game's default format for those graphics - however simple tga is commonly used and accepted by the game. Which means the game looks up the tga.dds version first and then the tga version. (missing\found in your log). You might also come across 'missing' reports that reference obsolete files and formats but also packed files if it is a mod.

Rule of thumb: if you get a 'missing' line then simply go through the next lines to see if you get a 'found' line with the same file name but possibly a different extension. If that is the case then you can safely ignore the 'missing' line.

Did a simple start\exit with my Bare Geomod - the trace log had 40336 'missing' and 17517 'found' lines. That's every file in the packs minus the ones in the mod due to the 'file_first' setting (multiple 'missing' lines for every extension\directory search). Plus there are obsolete files and files based on random numbers like portraits, see example of a portrait that certainly doesn't exist in the packs:

missing data/ui/southern_european/portraits/portraits/young/heretics/128.tga
    Last edited by Gigantus; June 12, 2021 at 12:41 AM.

@Gigantus : Thank you for these precious indications. I was wondering indeed the question of this possibility that the game engine searches for another file with a different extension when the basic one is not found.

Regarding the globallighting folder, the log mentions a lot of files missing in this folder, as well as several files in the env_maps folder that the mod does not have. Could this be the source of CTDs ?

In reality I do not understand anything. I thought I solved a CTD but it seems the turn has gone by miracle because it does not pass now.

There is therefore a recurring CTD with my game (England VH / VH version of May 10 + Jurand patch or not) on turn 31, in year 1147, here is the log and the save:

- Log
    - Save

I am decidedly incompetent to solve it ...

Blog Entries

If something is missing that the mod hasn't touched then it's the second option: the game looks for obsolete files, eg from the RTW set up. Keep in mind that that M2TW's engine is simply an extended RTW engine with tons of 'left overs', like the map_trade_routes files that has to be present but has no function whatsoever.

Your log shows like 5 miles of triggers before the crash. To establish if it is triggers that crash the game make a back up of the EDCT and then remove the trigger section (removing everything will totally crash the game). If there is no crash then you are down to tracing which of the triggers is the culprit and you will have to run trials starting with the last trigger. The 'GoodFarmer_Living_In_Castle_Stupid' in the last line is the only instance where it ever triggered in the log, so maybe it's gonna be a short search...

You may also want to consider to rewrite any 'BecomesFactionLeader' triggers to avoid the standard 'FL and FH killed together' crash.
    Last edited by Gigantus; June 12, 2021 at 08:18 AM.

Me too, I had the CTD twice - exactly with the "GoodFarmer_Living_In_Castle_Stupid'" last entry in the log.., after reloading it disappeared though.

This trigger is a quite standard one:
    Code:
    ;-----------------------------------------Trigger GoodFarmer_Living_In_Castle_Stupid
     WhenToTest CharacterTurnEndInSettlement

Condition IsGeneral
           and SettlementBuildingExists >= farms2	; from LandClearance level
           and SettlementBuildingExists < fortress
           and TimeInRegion > 4
    	   and Trait FitForOffice > 1
           and not FactionType cumans				; stop-gap solution to prevent Cumans from getting it somewhere in the steppes, may be removed once farms are removed from the steppes

Affects GoodFarmer 1 Chance 10

Blog Entries

I remember in 1648 we were battling with several default triggers that would never crash another mod. Failed to figure out what caused them to crash the mod - but commenting them out stopped the crashes.

Simply list the commented out triggers at the top of the EDCT file for future reference. You can then later reactivate them again and see if they still crash.

I can't launch this mod, every time I try to I get an error "medieval 2 encountered an unspecified error and will now exit". I used install instruction from moddb. I have no other mods installed, only Stainless Steel 6.4 (it worked without any problems before installing SSHIP). I have installed many mods before but it's the only one that just doesn't work...

I installed Medieval 2 from steam, installed Stainless Steel 6.3, then 6.4. I launched game to see that it works and everything was OK. Then I set early campaign with savage AI and permanent arrows. Launched it again. Then I copied SSHIP 0.9.7 files to Stainless Steel folder and now I can't launch the game because I get this error... OFC I also set compatibility to Windows 7, tried even with XP but no difference...

Check your messages (Notifications tab in the upper right corner here on TWC page, ie click now in your browser)- I've sent you some info.

In 1150, again a CTD in the turn of the rebels.
    After 3 attempts, I notice that the log always ends with "[game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <GoodFarmer_Living_stables> fired"
    I decide to follow the advice of Gignatus: I delete to start the trigger "GoodFarmer_Living_stables".

Unbelievable ! The turn passes !
    However, is he responsible for the CTD ?
    Not sure. Because after having stopped my campaign a few rounds later, I try again, by challenge, to launch my campaign in the year 1150 and I obtain a CTD again !

The end of log indicates this time something else ...

00:33:41.621 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <set_counter> at line 12510 in mods/SSHIP_098/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    00:33:41.621 [game.script.counter] [trace] counter <leon_occupied> = 1
    00:33:41.621 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <log_counter> at line 12511 in mods/SSHIP_098/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    00:33:41.621 [game.script] [always] leon_occupied = 1
    00:33:41.622 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Settlement_Capture_Brave> fired
    00:33:41.622 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0100_T_Invaded_Settlement> fired
    00:33:41.622 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0052_T_Invaded_Settlement> fired
    00:33:41.622 [data.transgression] [info] Applied transgression TC_INVADED_SETTLEMENT from transgressor faction 15A96C9C against faction 15A960D8
    00:33:41.675 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Settlement_Capture_Brave> fired
    00:33:41.675 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0100_T_Invaded_Settlement> fired
    00:33:41.675 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0052_T_Invaded_Settlement> fired
    00:33:41.675 [data.transgression] [info] Applied transgression TC_INVADED_SETTLEMENT from transgressor faction 15A96C9C against faction 15A960D8
    00:33:41.694 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Blog Entries

'Invaded settlement' - possibly the 'BecomesFactionLeader' bug when killing the FL and FH in a 'last stand', in this case in Leon. Do the same EDCT treatment again.
    Last edited by Gigantus; June 14, 2021 at 08:26 PM.

Foederatus

So recently had Jihad called on me in Antioch playing as Pisa and noticed some funny characters in the opposing army.

Check it out the Roman Emperor and half his army of Spears, He's not the general in charge of the Army but when I examine his card he is still listed a FL in traits and has banner of the emperor with authority etc. I don't think you can bribe an emperor so how did he get into another faction. Maybe a messed up save file after a crash and reload session from earlier in the game?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unroman_emperor.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	224.3 KB 
ID:	365086

Foederatus

Hmm game crashes as soon as the battle is over, can't auto-resolve out of it also win or loose game crashes few seconds after battle end of turn or not.

23:25:09.371 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <if> at line 9923 in mods/ss6.3/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    23:25:09.371 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <faction_emerge> at line 9923 in mods/ss6.3/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    23:25:09.377 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lost_roman.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	325.7 KB 
ID:	365087

Any ideas how to move past this, can I surrender the city or move the character away? Hopefully my save is now also attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files