Thread: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

I confirm: nothing we can do. Too many people withing a small area. The engine can hardly handle it.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Byzantines (or should I say Romans) are missing Feudal Knights' unit card (version 0.9.7)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	missing_card.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	334.2 KB 
ID:	361807

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Code:
            recruitment_slots 3 requires not event_counter freeze_recr_pool 1 and not building_present_min_level farms farms+2 and not building_present_min_level city_hall council_chambers
            recruitment_slots 2 requires not event_counter freeze_recr_pool 1 and building_present_min_level farms farms+2 and not building_present_min_level city_hall council_chambers
            recruitment_slots 2 requires not event_counter freeze_recr_pool 1 and building_present_min_level city_hall council_chambers and not building_present_min_level farms farms+2
            recruitment_slots 1 requires not event_counter freeze_recr_pool 1
    Looks indeed as a bug. Two nots too much.
    The picture shows three slots: 2 ships and '1 slot remaining'

Quote Originally Posted by kostic View Post
    There is a bug with the defense of Valencia, my Aragonese against the Moors ... the enemy is much more numerous than my army (in neutral ground I have no chance to beat them given their statistical advantages not yet corrected, but if I let the enemy launch an assault on my walls ...).
    I remember using that actually as a tactic in general when totally outnumbered: sacrifice a cav unit (no use inside the settlement anyhow) to attack ram as a priority and ladders if possible - you get a bonus defending on the wall which makes it all worthwhile that cav unit.
    Last edited by Gigantus; May 28, 2020 at 10:19 PM.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Just let me post View Post
    Byzantines (or should I say Romans) are missing Feudal Knights' unit card (version 0.9.7)

Name:	missing_card.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	334.2 KB 
ID:	361807
    Actually there's a script moving both armies off the map at the beginning of the game made by VineFynn last year. I've moved the script to the end and suddenly it stopped functioning so you've got both those armies on the map. I've found this yesterday, moved the script to the front, and it starte working - there're no those two armies anymore.
    They Byzantines cannot recruit the Feudal Knights (of this type, I think there's Latinikon or something to represent the Western knights serving in the army).

Nemesis2345's Avatar Semisalis

Byzantines definetely cant recruit Feudal Knights , their version of feudal knights are called Alamanoi , preety sure those feudals should also be silver units since they should also have no texture assigned to ERE.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis2345 View Post
    Byzantines definetely cant recruit Feudal Knights , their version of feudal knights are called Alamanoi , preety sure those feudals should also be silver units since they should also have no texture assigned to ERE.
    there're many versions of the feudal knights. I meant to that two armies - there're regular Feudal Knights, I think the ERE doesn't have access to that type.

Blog Entries

I'm curently implementing nikossaiz models for the ERE roster (see here for details). I won't promise they will be ready for v0.9.7 but should be for v0.9.8.
    Here is the future roster:
    Infantry from light to heavy:

psiloi acontistae
    psiloi toxotae
    kontaratoi
    mourtatoi
    gasmouloi
    peltastes
    symachika tagmata
    scoutatoi
    scoutatoi swordsmen
    paramonai
    varangian guard

special infantry - siphonatores

Cavalry from light to heavy. mind that the lighter cavalry ERE used are aor units or mercenaries and already exist in the game:

turkopoles
    alan cavalry
    vardariotes
    trepizond archers
    stratiotae
    latinika tagmata
    kataphractoi
    oikioi - bodyguards

kataphraktoi is me most heavy cavalry ere can field and yes, they should have them from the start. that is why i choose not to divide them into separate tagmata ( macedoniko, thessaliko, thrakiko ) since i want them to field more than three cataphractoi unit at a time if they can.

Units removed:

menaulatoi
    latin handgunners
    alamanoi
    proniarioi ( stratiotae were the real pronoiarioi. medium cavalry, heavier than turks, lighter than knights. )
    mounted acritae
    archontopoula

As you can see, Alamanoi will be removed anyway
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

@ Jurand of Cracow
    Thanks for fixing it. Also when are you planning to release new version?

@ Lifthrasir (and hopefully others)
    Regarding missing selection voices I reported earlier - I already fixed all polish units. You can try it in my thread.
    But I got an idea

As there are a lot countries and a lot of units, maybe we could join forces on this one?
    The task is to add missing selection voices (introduction of units when being clicked on the battlemap, like "spearmen!" etc.) or fix incorrect ones.

It could be done in two ways:

1) Anyone willing to help could report names of the units ingame and their recruitment cost, so I can fix them
    or
    2) pick entire accent range of countries (individual countries are a bad idea, because of overlaps) and fix it themselves (it's really easy, just look at my file)

How does that sound to you?
    Last edited by Just let me post; May 29, 2020 at 11:41 AM. Reason: typo and second thought

Blog Entries

It would be more helpful if you could explain where the problem comes from and how to fix it. As explained in the other thread, I haven't looked at it yet and any info would save us time

I explained it a bit in my thread, but here it goes:

TL;DR: newly added units are missing their entries in export_descr_sounds_units_voice.txt

Ok, so what does it mean?

- lets say we have a unit of "Heavy Swordsmen Sergeants". You click this unit in battle, and it doesn't say anything. Rude and unimmersive right?

- so to fix this, you need to check two things in EDU: how this unit is referred to in game files ("Armored Swordsmen") and if it uses Light or Heavy voice_type.

- now knowing that, you go into export_descr_sounds_units_voice.txt and add its entry, like that:

Code:
    unit Armored Swordsmen ;++
    event
    folder data/sounds/Voice/Human/Localized/Battle_Map
    East_European_Heavy_Generic_Swordsmen_1.wav
    East_European_Heavy_Generic_Swordsmen_2.wav
    end
    - remember to add units in Heavy or Light section based on unit's value in EDU. Basically put it beside other similar unit entries (ctrl+f is your friend) of same voice_type. Actual .wav files you use don't matter, as long as the entry is in the right Heavy/Light section.

- to add to this, some accents don't have all kinds of voices (Eastern European for example, only have "weak" pikemen voice, so just use it for every eastern european pikemen unit)

- example: Pikemen unit may have "voice_type Light", while Late Pikemen unit may have "voice_type Heavy". So what do we do?

We add entries exactly like this:
    Code:
                                        unit Heavy Pike Militia
                                        event
                                                      East_European_Light_Generic_Pikemen_1.wav
                                                      East_European_Light_Generic_Pikemen_2.wav
                                        end
                                        unit Pikemen ;++
                                        event
                                        end
                                        unit EE Ribault
                                        event
                                                      East_European_Light_ee_ribault_1.wav
                                                      East_European_Light_ee_ribault_2.wav
                                        end
    and for our Late Pikemen:

Code:
                                        unit Dismounted Boyars
                                        event
                                                      East_European_Heavy_Generic_Heavy_Infantry_1.wav
                                                      East_European_Heavy_Generic_Heavy_Infantry_2.wav
                                        end
                                        unit Late Pikemen ;++ has to use it
                                        event
                                        end
                                        unit Dismounted Armored Clergy
                                        event
                                                      East_European_Heavy_Generic_Heavy_Infantry_1.wav
                                                      East_European_Heavy_Generic_Heavy_Infantry_2.wav
                                        end
    And after saving that, you need to delete Events.dat and Events.idx files from Sounds folder (the game will rebuild them when launched - if you have disc version), otherwise it won't change.
    Also it's save compatible as it only changes voices.

I hope it helps Ask me for more if it isn't clear.

In the meanwhile, I welcome any reports of such misbehaving units (I need country, unit name, and recruitment cost - all you can find ingame)
    Last edited by Just let me post; June 12, 2020 at 11:03 PM. Reason: typos

Blog Entries

I see. Thanks Mate

Update: so far I've fixed voices of these countries' units:

- Poland (and most not-polish-specific east european accent units)
    - Castille (and most not-castillian-specific mediterranean accent units)
    - France (not jerusalem tho, but they should be pretty good already)

I honestly don't know how one can play without them, no offense. As I mentioned, about half the voices were missing.
    Not only is this unimmersive, but it sends this "unpolished mod" vibe (very undeservedly, because the mod is very well put together).

This mod is amazing, which is why I'm making those fixes. I reminds me of Crusader Kings with Total War battles. I mean if you advertised it in the next release as such, people would fly like bees to honey (you can quote me on this, haha ).

Either way, download is available in my thread, this time it's steam friendly.
    Also to anyone working on EDU, please add specific accents to units like Ritterbrueders or Knight of Santiago (look at my file). Thanks.

Edit.

Back on reporting bugs: Ruthenian Archers are silver surfers to Poland
    (don't mind the battle ui, I changed it)

Name:	silver_ruthenians.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	430.0 KB 
ID:	361845

And another one, not sure if it's relevant but there are some inconsitencies between EDU and ingame stats/descriptions, for example:
    Eastern Spearmen in EDU: superior, local, merc
    Eastern Spearmen in unit description: Quality: Militia.\nType: Local
    And they have pretty low armour value for what they are wearing
    Last edited by Just let me post; May 31, 2020 at 07:02 PM. Reason: edit

Blog Entries

Tip fir Lifth on updating those sound file edits:

I am assuming the original download has all the TXT files: in that case together with the edited TXT files also provide zero byte files for data\sounds\event.idx and .dat - that way you don't need upload newly generated files as that forces the game to generate them. If you are not sure how to create those zero byte files then use the ones from my sound dev kit.

Blog Entries

@ Gig, if I got you right, I basically just need to make "fake" .dat and .idx files in the sounds folder to solve that issue for all versions of the game (Steam and disk)?

@ Jlmp, thanks for reporting the silver unit. I'll correct that
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; June 05, 2020 at 01:36 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    @ Gig, if I got you right, I basically just need to make "fake" .dat and .idx files in the sounds folder to solve that issue for all versions of the game (Steam and disk)?
    Yup, works for all versions, my dev version actually replaces all dat\idx files by copying the zero byte files into the sound folder every time you start the set up - it's the same principle with the map.rwm file. Requires the supporting (edited) files to be present.

rule of thumb - zero byte files do away with the need of uploading large size files in an update (because they force the game to generate new ones), even in the original upload (see my RotK mod). As long as you provide the supporting files, like the edited TXT files.

Blog Entries

Thanks Mate
    Will have a look at it once I'm done with nikossaiz units

Wow, thanks Gigantus!

I saw this solution in some mods but were not sure how it works.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just let me post View Post
    Back on reporting bugs: Ruthenian Archers are silver surfers to Poland
    (don't mind the battle ui, I changed it)

Name:	silver_ruthenians.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	430.0 KB 
ID:	361845
    Have you modified your game? Because on mine, they look fine

Nope, I haven't touched EDU myself nor models.

I took this screenshot using EDU that Jurand of Cracow shared with me (0.9.7 from 28th May)

With it, Ruthenian Archers are silver survers like that, and they have polish ownership in EDU

But just a moment ago I tried Dekhatres' EDU with his combat overhaul and in it, Ruthenian Archers have lithuanian ownership only, and they look like glitched ghosts instead of silver surfers

Blog Entries

Such issue doesn't come from the EDU but rather from the battle_model.modeldb file or really a missing texture.
    This is what I've got for that unit in my file:
    Code:
    17 ruthenian_archers 
    1 3 
    56 unit_models/_units/Lithuania/tlaxcalan_archers_lod0.mesh 121 
    56 unit_models/_units/Lithuania/tlaxcalan_archers_lod1.mesh 1225 
    56 unit_models/_units/Lithuania/tlaxcalan_archers_lod2.mesh 6400 
    9 lithuania 
    87 unit_models/_units/Lithuania/Ducal_Cavalry/textures/mtw2_AZ_spear_padded_aztecs.texture 
    87 unit_models/_units/Lithuania/Ducal_Cavalry/textures/mtw2_AZ_spear_padded_normal.texture 
    57 unit_sprites/timurids_Dismounted_Heavy_Archers_sprite.spr 
    9 lithuania 
    63 unit_models/AttachmentSets/final lithuania_aztecs2_diff.texture 
    63 unit_models/AttachmentSets/final lithuania_aztecs2_norm.texture 0  
    4 None 
    16 MTW2_Fast_Bowman 
    12 MTW2_Axe_New 
    19 MTW2_Bowman_Primary 
    14 fs_test_shield 
    20 MTW2_Axe_New_Primary 
    14 fs_test_shield 
    16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; June 05, 2020 at 02:47 PM.