Thread: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

My reading of the log is that it's unrelated to the traits and all this stuff I'm modifying. What is worrying as I have no clue how to find out what what has caused it. It may be a result of some script etc. Interesting that prugalo got to the turn 333.

afaik the script is read by the engine at the beginning so changes in-game won't impact on it.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; March 02, 2020 at 05:44 PM.

Gigantus's Avatar I am thinking more about running away now then I did as a kid, but by the time I put my teeth in, my glasses on and find my car keys I forget why I am going.
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Modding Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    My reading of the log is that it's unrelated to the traits and all this stuff I'm modifying. What is worrying as I have no clue how to find out what what has caused it. It may be a result of some script etc. Interesting that prugalo got to the turn 333.

afaik the script is read by the engine at the beginning so changes in-game won't impact on it.
    It would require a trace log - an error log simply is not detailed enough, see the 1.5 minute gap between the last two entries. And yes, script changes are effective at a new game start.

Lifthrasir's Avatar A Clockwork Orange
    Patrician Artifex Moderation Mentor Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

The most detailed log will be given with the following entries in your config file:

Code:
    [log]
    to=logs/auh.system.log.txt
    level =ai.ltgd trace
    level =game.script* trace
    file = game.script* logs/auh.script.log.txt
    file = ai.ltgd logs/auh.ai.log.txt

[ai]
    ltgd_logging = true
    Details about it can be found in this thread. Note that the log will be extremely long and I'd recommend to post it as a zip file if you ever use this method
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, of the Imperial House of Hader

- Results published

Blog Entries

From the page on ModDB:
    I have a problem,everything runing fine just i dont know why,my game running in some wide-screen and i see my desktop and tab,ive tryed to change resolution but aint helping. Note,i use 110cm Philips TV as monitor and ive played couple days without a problem,today wanted to play and this happens...
    I'm not convinced at all that this is due to the mod actually. M2TW - Kingdoms is an old game and probably not made for such screens
    Anyone to confirm?
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, of the Imperial House of Hader

- Results published

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    From the page on ModDB:

I'm not convinced at all that this is due to the mod actually. M2TW - Kingdoms is an old game and probably not made for such screens
    Anyone to confirm?
    What version is uploaded on ModDB? With my patches or without?

@Lurker: upload this more detailed log, pls, it may help to find the reason for the CTD. It seems to me that it's somehow related to the script: you got it early (turns 41, 70) but Prugalo was able to play 333 turns.

Trace logs helped, thank you. Sanity system crashed my game. Commenting out this section solved the CTD:

;------------------------------------------;Trigger Insane_NoGoingBack
    ; WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd
    ;
    ; Condition Trait Insane > 1
    ; and Trait Insane < 3
    ;
    ; Affects Insane 10 Chance 100
    ;
    ;------------------------------------------------------
    Now if I only I could figure a way to disable the whole Sane/Insane system mid-game...

Blog Entries

@ JoC, on ModDB, I've uploaded SSHIP v0.9.6 with your latest patch (22/02) included in it

- Results published

Forgot to mention another thing: at some point (it was either the latest patch or the previous one) all mercenaries became ridiculously cheap, both to buy and maintain. To the point where using mercs for maintaining order in cities is way more effective than any other method. I have to play with "no merc" house rule to keep the game interesting, but I'd much prefer having over-expensive mercs instead, like it used to be when 0.9.6 was just released. They were occasionally useful as a tool of desperation.

Gigantus's Avatar I am thinking more about running away now then I did as a kid, but by the time I put my teeth in, my glasses on and find my car keys I forget why I am going.

Blog Entries

Using a TV screen - somewhere in the back of my head is a memory of some type of TV (or video card) is not suitable for it in connection with M2TW. But then he claims that it worked previously.

As to the insane trait, red caught my eye: never seen an iteration that high before, how many levels has that trait? It tests for level 2 and then adds 10 - isn't that beyond the hard coded number of trait levels?

Affects Insane 10 Chance 100

@ JoC, on ModDB, I've uploaded SSHIP v0.9.6 with your latest patch (22/02) included in it
    Good, this means that the previous sources of crashes were not the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    As to the insane trait, red caught my eye: never seen an iteration that high before, how many levels has that trait? It tests for level 2 and then adds 10 - isn't that beyond the hard coded number of trait levels?

Affects Insane 10 Chance 100
    This is the NoGoingBack threshold, just to make it not possible to go down. I've described the method here. The levels are normal: 1,2,3, iirc.
    The issue might be different: how many points can a character amass? He might have still level 3, but with 100 points if the trigger fired 10 times (but this is not the case here: the clearing house fires only once during the jump from lvl2 to lvl3). In some traits I've got a technical maximum - an additional level (not visible to the player) with trigger to go down if it's reached, eg (this example is not related to NGB threshold)
    Code:
     Level Genius   Description Genius_desc
       EffectsDescription Genius_effects_desc
       Threshold 30

Effect Command 1
       Effect Authority 2

Level Intelligent_Max_Technical_Level
       Description Genius_desc
       EffectsDescription Genius_effects_desc
       GainMessage Genius_gain_desc
       Threshold 35

Effect Command 1
       Effect Authority 2
    Code:
    ;======================================================== Intelligent - technical

;---------------------------------------------------
    ;----- Fixes for initial and scripted generals
    ;should not be needed anymore, is just in case

Trigger Intelligent_SafetyValve
     WhenToTest CharacterTurnStart

Condition Trait Intelligent < 1

Affects Intelligent 20 Chance 100

;------------------------------------------
    Trigger Intelligent_Technical_Max
     WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd

Condition Trait Intelligent > 8

Affects Intelligent -3 Chance 100

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker from Codex View Post
    Now if I only I could figure a way to disable the whole Sane/Insane system mid-game...
    No problem: just comment out all the triggers and the trait is disabled.
    But note that the problem is not he system per se, but some details.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; March 03, 2020 at 06:33 AM.

oh yeah, i dont have any banners in game by the way ,noticed only few days ago xD

Blog Entries

No banners is a setting in the CFG file, not sure if it's intentional or another mod (TATW?) switched it off, else add it to the mod's CFG file:

[video] # section should exist, else create
    show_banners = 1

Blog Entries

Check your main game config file (the one in the M2TW main folder, not the one in the mod forlder). Are they enabled?
    In the [video] part, you should have the following line: show_banners = 1

Edit: ninja-ed by Gig
    And this is not related to SSHIP. We haven't touched that feature. Players are free to choose
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; March 03, 2020 at 06:14 AM.

- Results published

Blog Entries

TATW is one of the mods that is disabling battle banners - which means the setting is carried forward in the main game's CFg file. Most efficient way is to use SSHIP's CFG file to reverse it, the manual entry in the game's CFG file will get removed\reversed again.

Reducing merchants (or any agent), see here.
    Last edited by Gigantus; March 03, 2020 at 06:31 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    TATW is one of the mods that is disabling battle banners - which means the setting is carried forward in the main game's CFg file. Most efficient way is to use SSHIP's CFG file to reverse it, the manual entry in the game's CFG file will get removed\reversed again.

Reducing merchants (or any agent), see here.
    I guess that SS works actually in the same way. There's nothing in the mod config file about banners and I assume that the feature is de facto handled by the main game config file. I honestly don't mind to add that line in the SSHIP config file for the next release if it can avoid such "trouble"

Edit: thanks for the link
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; March 03, 2020 at 07:37 AM.

- Results published

This is the NoGoingBack threshold, just to make it not possible to go down. I've described the method here.
    I'm sorry, but your method doesn't work for some reason. Just had another CTD, and again the reason is NGB. This time for Miserly.

17:15:49.063 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Miserly_NoGoingBack> fired
    17:15:49.724 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

I'm going to disable all NGB triggers for now. Hopefully you'll find another solution to create permanent traits.

I'm sorry, but your method doesn't work for some reason. Just had another CTD, and again the reason is NGB. This time for Miserly.

17:15:49.724 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

I'm going to disable all NGB triggers for now. Hopefully you'll find another solution to create permanent traits.
    Yeah, I'm just working on this issue now. You may see that I've updated the entry here in the workshop, and I'm going to post more. Take a look at point 4.4.

I think there's a kind of explosive mechanism.

I was far from certain that it's the reason for your crash, I suspected FitForOffice trait to contribute (Unsane is condition for FitForOffice, and this one is in turn condition for many, many things in EDCT and EDA, and is likely to be also in the script. But as you inform about Miserly, it convinces me it's likely to be the exploding NGB problem.

If you've got more observations, please share.

BTW, I think you can appreciate my consistent naming of the triggers?

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    BTW, I think you can appreciate my consistent naming of the triggers?
    "Appreciate" would be an understatement. Your naming, structure, tips, and comments in EDCT make it easy to tweak even for someone with no modding experience like me. Thank you.

has it worked for you?

I've spotted some potential problems with Insane, but I cannot discern anythigh wrong with Miserly. Everything should go ok.
    So when you got rid of the Miserly NGB trigger, have you got rid of the crash?

Blog Entries

I guess that SS works actually in the same way. There's nothing in the mod config file about banners and I assume that the feature is de facto handled by the main game config file. I honestly don't mind to add that line in the SSHIP config file for the next release if it can avoid such "trouble"

Edit: thanks for the link
    I might have confused the issue a bit, so let me do it bullet style:

• Almost all entries in a mod's CFG file are transferred to the main game's CFG file at the end of play (file_first, mod path and log settings are the only ones that are not transferred afaik).
    • Playing a mod that does not have those settings (like no banners) will adopt those settings from the other mod via the main CFG file.
    • Once you have identified an unwanted custom setting (like no banners) simply add the corrected instruction to your mod's CFG file. That way you can play the first mod without banners and the other with banners.

Most common issues:

[video]
    show_banners - controls the display of battle banners
    event_movies - controls the display of intro movies
    campaign_resolution and battle_resolution - force screen resolution
    windowed - forces display in window according to the preset resolution (partial screen complaint)

[game]
    disable_arrow_markers - controls display of the green markers under soldiers