Thread: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

Default Re: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

? Not sure why my first post didn't send.

1. CTD on AI Move

2. Game crashes when Sicily moves its diplomat to a Byzantine City or if a Sicilian ship moves.

Some comments: I did not enter SS setup. Do you think I need to reinstall the game? Or would that do any damage?

Thank you in advance.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Utos0 View Post

1. CTD on AI Move

2. Game crashes when Sicily moves its diplomat to a Byzantine City or if a Sicilian ship moves.

Some comments: I did not enter SS setup. Do you think I need to reinstall the game? Or would that do any damage?

Thank you in advance.
    Hi Utos,
    I cannot infere anything from your log :-(

21:25:09.142 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/SS6.3/data/terrain/aerial_map/sea/waves.tga.dds is missing
    21:26:21.395 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Which turn does the ctd happens?
    Do you play with the late patch or a previous one?
    Have you played SSHIP before on this built?

Nemesis2345's Avatar Semisalis

1. CTD on AI Move

Thank you in advance.
    Definetely reinstall both medieval 2 and the mod. Then apply the patch 22 , from the looks of it , you have a problem that was already fixed in the patches , most likely you didnt install it correctly . Try a fresh step by step installation

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kostic View Post
    So this is not yet the solution ... Bigre ! What happened between version 0.9.5 and 0.9.6 so that the game was no longer able to recreate the voices and good sounds for each faction?
    For my part, I successfully integrated my models_strats! I will be able to advance in my new version.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWitan View Post
    May I ask there I can find the sound fix for the current version? I use the german version of the game, even I can also speak polish Its a bit annoying that some nations are completely mute since the steam version^^
    I'm on it. I had an issue with the game not regenerating the string.bin, the .idx and the .dat files. But that's fixed now. The other point is that I think I know the reason of that issue now. MWY was using a german version of te game which has the same issue as the french one about the accents. I'm using an english version of the game and after installing v0.9.2, I had some souns missing especially on the menu screen. I've found out that MWY included some sounds files from his own version of the game, files I have partially replaced with file from my own. So basically, I've tried to fix an issue on an english version from an issue caused by a german one (hope I'm understable ).
    I'm recompiling my files now for a quick test. If everything works as intended, the procedure for german and french versions of the game will be as by the past
    Meanwhile, can you guys confirm the you don't get any issue with the original SS6.4 once the descr_sounds_accent.txt file is modified accordingly?

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    May I suggest for the mods to use a set up like this to test their changes? And ALWAYS provide a full set of supporting TXT files together with regenerated IDX\DAT files, the latter if that set up is not used.

You are looking for changes in descr_sounds_interface.txt btw.....
    Can you re-write that I've boldered in oversized bold coloured letters for my fellow devs Gig?
    On a serious note, I've already explained that the Steam version of the game doesn't regenerate these files. On the other hand, the issue seems to only affect players with a german and french versions on disk. So regenerating these files shouldn't be an issue for them.... hopefully

1. CTD on AI Move

Thank you in advance.
    Your post was auto-moderated because you're a new poster and have used a link. I've approved it and everything is fine now

Now, if you excuse me Gentlemen, that's carnival party time for me

Edit: Good job for the patch JoC, as usual
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; February 23, 2020 at 02:04 AM.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    I'm on it. I had an issue with the game not regenerating the string.bin, the .idx and the .dat files. But that's fixed now. The other point is that I think I know the reason of that issue now. MWY was using a german version of te game which has the same issue as the french one about the accents. I'm using an english version of the game and after installing v0.9.2, I had some souns missing especially on the menu screen. I've found out that MWY included some sounds files from his own version of the game, files I have partially replaced with file from my own. So basically, I've tried to fix an issue on an english version from an issue caused by a german one (hope I'm understable ).
    I'm recompiling my files now for a quick test. If everything works as intended, the procedure for german and french versions of the game will be as by the past
    Meanwhile, can you guys confirm the you don't get any issue with the original SS6.4 once the descr_sounds_accent.txt file is modified accordingly?
    I just did a test on the original SS6.4 version. Indeed, the modification of the descr_sounds_accents file and the deletion of the .DAT / .IDX files allows to recreate voices for the dumb factions without loss of sounds in the menu (I just cut / paste the factions "accent East_European" all dumb in "accent French", which gives a Polish general to make a speech on behalf of France ... it may not be the right choice of accent in the end. In addition, the Polish units do not shout when we select them ...)

Blog Entries

If my memory serves me well, the eastern european accent is missing in your version. You need to move it to another one.
    From the original sound patch (the descr_factions_accent.txt of v0.8.3 you sent to me):

Code:
    accent English
        factions england, kievan_rus, russia, poland, hungary, denmark, norway, lithuania, teutonic_order

accent Scottish
        factions scotland

accent French
        factions france

accent German
        factions hre

accent Mediterranean
        factions venice, pisa, sicily, papal_states, byzantium, spain, portugal, aragon, timurids, slave

accent East_European
        factions 

accent Arabic
        factions milan, turks, moors, egypt, kwarezm, rum

accent Mongolian
        factions mongols, cumans

accent Jerusalem
        factions jerusalem
    That's the one you should use for SS6.4 - I guess.

About SSHIP, I'm afraid that you'll need to re-install SS6.3 and SS6.4 before to re-install the package I'm preparing for you and then to install the sound patch and proceed as usual with the .idx and .dat files in the sounds folder.

I'll do my best to provide it soon but from today to Tuesday, that's the carnival in Dunkirk and I've very limited free time
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

On a serious note, I've already explained that the Steam version of the game doesn't regenerate these files.
    Not correct, I have tested my 'dev kit' on steam before releasing it and the IDX\DAT files get regenerated after being overwritten with the zero byte files (the equivalent of being deleted) - the sound txt files obviously need to be present. You must be thinking of the "furious four": battle, strat, shared and tooltips in data\text - the string.bin files do not regenerate after editing the txt files in the Steam version.

On the other hand, the issue seems to only affect players with a german and french versions on disk. So regenerating these files shouldn't be an issue for them.... hopefully
    Correct, the issue is in the descr_sounds_accent file as you mention - here is a German tutorial of mine on how to fix it: Quickfix für stumme Fraktionen

I no longer play SS6.4. I kept it in another directory for added security. But you can see that with SS6.4 the sounds are recreated without affecting the SFX sounds. This is not the case with SSHIP.
    Are you going to redo a special SSHIP 0.9.6 version for non-English versions ? Otherwise I don't understand why I would have to reinstall everything from then SS6.3 ...
    I have 2 separate versions of SSHIP 0.9.6 each in a different directory. One is my basis and I don't change it; the other is the one I'm testing and adding my own changes to.

Enjoy the carnival of Dunkirk Lifth, myself I will be absent several times during the next two weeks. You have to get some fresh air once in a while!

Blog Entries

Yes, that's the plan: re-do a fresh v0.9.6 and add again a sound patch as it was by the past. I can't find another way to fix that mess unfortunately. Sometimes it's better to start all over again.

@Lifthrasir : Thank you for your help, but if you had read my previous post more carefully, you would have perceived that the modification of the descr_sounds_accents is not the problem. The problem is the next phase, the fact that other sound files (SFX it seems to me) disappear during the re-creation.

@Gigantus : I read your tutorials and the presentation of your tools. Unfortunately, perhaps because of my poor English, I cannot fully understand all of your explanations. For example, what is the purpose of the Bare Geomod since it suffices to restart the game after having edited the descr_sounds_accents and deleted the .DAT / .IDX sound files to recreate all the corrected sounds ?

Guys i'm new here so here it goes, i'm in turn 32 as the byzantines and i can have unlimited number of priests apparently, i haven't actually tried recruiting as many as i can but it seems that i might. It happened one turn before the event for religion & something popped up. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by VegasMcSwaggerGr View Post
    Guys i'm new here so here it goes, i'm in turn 32 as the byzantines and i can have unlimited number of priests apparently, i haven't actually tried recruiting as many as i can but it seems that i might. It happened one turn before the event for religion & something popped up. Any ideas?
    Is it really ulimited? ERE has many settlements with many churches and can recruit really many priests (more than 20?)

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Which turn does the ctd happens?
    Do you play with the late patch or a previous one?
    Have you played SSHIP before on this built?
    Hi Jurand,

Thanks for helping me out.

I end on turn 86.
    I am using the latest patch v0.9.6.
    This is my first time playing SSHIP on this build.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis2345
    Definetely reinstall both medieval 2 and the mod. Then apply the patch 22 , from the looks of it , you have a problem that was already fixed in the patches , most likely you didnt install it correctly . Try a fresh step by step installation
    You're probably right. What do you mean by patch 22 though?

Thanks everybody for the help here!

Hi Jurand,

Thanks for helping me out.

I end on turn 86.
    I am using the latest patch v0.9.6.
    This is my first time playing SSHIP on this build.

You're probably right. What do you mean by patch 22 though?

Thanks everybody for the help here!
    I suspect (but I may be wrong) that you're using SSHIP in version 096 (and you consider it as "the latest patch"), but you're not using any patch issued later. The latest one is from 22.02.2020 and is here.

You're correct. I did not realize that was the latest patch. Thank you for linking the current patch.

Is that patch save game compatible?

Also, just to make sure I am installing these patches correctly: in the instructions, we're told to "merge" files together. I was under the impression that this means to open the downloaded data folder and copy its contents, open the data folder we are supposed to merge into, and paste into there, allowing for the files to be replaced. There isn't an extra step in there, is it? Just want to make sure I fully understand what "merge" means.

You're correct. I did not realize that was the latest patch. Thank you for linking the current patch.

Is that patch save game compatible?

Also, just to make sure I am installing these patches correctly: in the instructions, we're told to "merge" files together. I was under the impression that this means to open the downloaded data folder and copy its contents, open the data folder we are supposed to merge into, and paste into there, allowing for the files to be replaced. There isn't an extra step in there, is it? Just want to make sure I fully understand what "merge" means.
    Yes, just overwrite the data folder. No extra step.
    I don't think it's save compatible.

Alright, thank you! Lesson learned. I will do a fresh install of pretty much everything now with patch22.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Is it really ulimited? ERE has many settlements with many churches and can recruit really many priests (more than 20?)
    Yes! I always recruit priests whenever i can which means i already had 1 in each settlement and 2 in cities with abbeys and higher. So the turn i could recruit more priests i thought a church had finished construction but no, i could recruit dozens of them. It isn't game breaking i still follow the limit but its harder to know if there were any heretics or where there are priests missing

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kostic View Post
    @Gigantus : I read your tutorials and the presentation of your tools. Unfortunately, perhaps because of my poor English, I cannot fully understand all of your explanations. For example, what is the purpose of the Bare Geomod since it suffices to restart the game after having edited the descr_sounds_accents and deleted the .DAT / .IDX sound files to recreate all the corrected sounds ?
    Apologies for the confusion - the German tutorial explains how to fix the silent factions for mods that do not have the sound text files. In Stainless Steel it will be enough to edit the descr_sounds_accent file and then delete the events.idx and dat files only - do NOT delete any other IDX\DAT files as they may contain custom sound files that are not individually provided.

@Jurand, thank you for your diligent work on the patch! I can't wait to test it out. The trait interaction summary you posted looks good to me, fair and balanced -at least on paper- we have to test how it feels in-game but I suspect it will be great. I will report back to you after I've tested them as well as report any bugs I find. It will take awhile as I've yet to solve my computer issues and have yet to finish my current campaign.

Again, thanks for the hard work!