Thread: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

Many thanks for that Gig. I'll correct that line, replacing it by "SE Bodyguard". You're even more than good and that level Gig. It would have taken me weeks to find out
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Could be a similar issue with the other case - now you know how to trace it. In case you wondered how I got the list in the spoiler: simply open all suspected files in Notepad++ and then 'search in all open documents'.

Blog Entries

That script was made by MWY by the past to help the small factions to resist and survive a bit longer. Scripting is not my cup of tea tbh
    I'll check these files as suggested and see if I can find a similar error to the issue of cloud700
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

It's a nifty script - he just wasn't thorough enough and a copy\paste error slipped through (variables like that need to be properly specified for use in GED's script replicator or entered by hand).

Blog Entries

I can't say if MWY used a tool or not while working on scripts. That was really his domain in SSHIP.

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

@Gigantus Thank you so much for your research !
    I'm a little scared with the use of these apps like Notepad ++ that I do not always understand very well given my low level of English. I recognize that they can be of great help when the error is hard to find. That said, after my unsuccessful searches, I was almost convinced that the error came from a script and not from my modified files. Gigantus, you are the best!

@Lifthrasir This error also proves that it was present in the original SSHIP and not only in my sub-sub-mod.
    By the way, if you want to know, - outside replacements of the 3D models and their appointed textures, outside the portraits of generals in .tga format - with KCC 0.9.3, I only modified the battle_models.modeldb and a little EDU, a little descr_character, descr_model_strat, for the models of the strategic map. The rest of the game is this exciting mod that you offer us Lifth !

Blog Entries

Here is the link to Notepad++ and here are translations for it, including French.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kostic View Post
    @Lifthrasir This error also proves that it was present in the original SSHIP and not only in my sub-sub-mod.
    By the way, if you want to know, - outside replacements of the 3D models and their appointed textures, outside the portraits of generals in .tga format - with KCC 0.9.3, I only modified the battle_models.modeldb and a little EDU, a little descr_character, descr_model_strat, for the models of the strategic map. The rest of the game is this exciting mod that you offer us Lifth !
    I was more suspicious about a corrupted file than on your submod actually as you have the issue on SSHIP alone. And yes, it looks it has been there for a while. Funny that nobody else encountered/reported it so far.

Regarding Notepad++, you can choose French as language when installing it if I recall correctly
    I've been using it for years now and without a problem

Edit: I haven't found any mistake in the campaign_script but I've found several missing entries (several generals without ME Bodyguard unit in their army) in the descr_strat and 1 mistake (Nur-ad-Din set as female). Hopefully, that should solve the issue reported by cloud700.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; June 03, 2019 at 12:11 AM.

With Win10 64bits, should i have to download Notepad++ 64-bitsx64 or Notepad++ 32-bitsx86 ?

Blog Entries

I guess the 64 one

Blog Entries

About the missing textures mentionned by cloud700, I've been a bit too optimistic. Actually, only the Nur-ad-Din line was a real mistake. Not the others which refer to captains and not generals actually
    Shame on me. Still trying to find out.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; June 03, 2019 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Typo

Hey, so I've been playing a lengthy campaign as the English and finally hit Improved Metallurgy (around 1500 AD). And now I can't recruit any generals. To make things worse, I traded a citadel from my ally and that citadel, unlike all the others, can recruit the new advanced bodyguard. What gives?
    Alii inferre bellum, facientibus pacem.

Blog Entries

Don't know. Will check that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    About the missing textures mentionned by cloud700, I've been a bit too optimistic. Actually, only the Nur-ad-Din line was a real mistake. Not the others which refer to captains and not generals actually
    Shame on me. Still trying to find out.
    You will have to trace that from descr_characters where the captain and general (non-family-member army leaders) battle models are defined. From there it's straigth into modelDB to see if that faction has a texture entry.

Additional officers on the other hand are traced from their unit's EDU entry.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    Don't know. Will check that.
    Destroying and then rebuilding the Tourney Fields, or building them in a place that didn't have them before the upgrade, gets me the unit, so I think it's that the upgrade doesn't work properly on existing buildings?
    Alii inferre bellum, facientibus pacem.

@reaper101 Your experience is interesting.
    Since I test different factions of SSHIP, I have never reached the date of 1300 yet !
    And there are already a lot of things to review before that date ... even if the mod is generally stable and very pleasant to play.

Blog Entries

@ reaper101, yes, I'm suspecting something wrong in the EDB file. I just need to fix the issue reported by cloud700 first and then I'll check that.

@ Gig, thanks for the tip. Will do
    Strange that the problem affects all muslim generals
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; June 04, 2019 at 11:35 AM.

I tested the Moors faction and did not notice a texture problem for the generals ...

Blog Entries

Can't find anything wrong about the muslim generals/family members
    I've checked all the files mentionned by Gig plus the EDU and some others. I haven't found anything wrong except a mistake of mine actually (not related to this issue)

Thanks kostic for trying to find out as well

@ cloud700, can you tell me which era you're playing , early or late? Can you also post some screenshots? That might help.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; June 05, 2019 at 12:50 PM.

Blog Entries

Don't you just love multiple options when it comes to bug hunting you know - the data\campaign folder options? Two of everything: EDU, EDB, script etc. Not to forget the campaign\sub\DisableRR and DisableRR_AoR stuff that modifies EDU and EDB on top of that.

That's why I always ask for the user to upload the files from his original folders when bug hunting Stainless Steel stuff. Easy to trace from there which version has been used but asking in advance won't hurt.