Thread: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

Default Re: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

Actually I think it's this Papal States Crusading general crashing my game. Once he stops moving, boom, unspecified error. Tried moving him, it still happened. Ideas?

EDIT: not him either. Moved him to Italy, now the game focuses briefly on one of the Papal cities in the Holy Land I gave them (basically recreating the Crusader States, long story) and then crashes.

EDIT 2: Now it appears that the Papal States taking Iskandariyya (left coastal Fatimid city) is the cause? IDK why.
    Last edited by reaper101; October 11, 2018 at 12:27 PM.
    Alii inferre bellum, facientibus pacem.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    I guess that he was stuck on his previous position and couldn't moved anymore. Hence the ctd. Was the battle close to a river or in a mountainous area?
    It was near a river and the forest, but the crash seemed to happen when the general moved into Frankfurt.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

If it ever happens again, try to see if these conditions are met again. Just in case
    Thanks in advance.

Hopefully, as I've corrected the map heights (making them slightly more "flat"), this should be fixed in the next release.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Final edit: re: crashes.

Running the disable_ai command and turning it back on after the Pope turn ends seems to work and also seems to not...actually affect​ AI actions, surprisingly.

How did the mod change the timescale to 2 turns a year? I've looked through some script files and desc_strat etc but can't seem to figure it out. I want to change the timescale back to 1 turn a year however I am struggling to do this. I have found scripts etc to change the timescale to 4 turns a year or even 12 turns a year, but I cannot seem to find any guidance on changing it back, within this submod particularly, from 2 turns a year to 1 turn a year. Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

^^ Not the right place for this. You should ask in the Workshop
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Quentillius View Post
    How did the mod change the timescale to 2 turns a year? I've looked through some script files and desc_strat etc but can't seem to figure it out. I want to change the timescale back to 1 turn a year however I am struggling to do this. I have found scripts etc to change the timescale to 4 turns a year or even 12 turns a year, but I cannot seem to find any guidance on changing it back, within this submod particularly, from 2 turns a year to 1 turn a year. Thanks in advance.
    I don't know, but I can say that if care about traits then it's going to be laborious. Below my warning for a change from 2TPY to 4TPY, but it also applies to 1TPY, but in the other direction.

If you don't care about traits, just disregard my entry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    There're two additional issues:

1) the pace at which the characters (generals, agents) gain traits. The probabilities of gaining those traits are calibrated with a view of "how many turns is an average character in play". The aim is to make "leveling up" traits reasonable in time: they should get the higher and highest levels of a trait only after some time, and they should not get all of the traits. If you double the turns without re-calibrating the probabilities you'll get super-heroes, not historical generals: they will get the highest levels in their 20ties and then they'll get tons of other traits, also getting the highest levels within their life-span.
    You may like it, but I feel it wouldn't feel historical.
    (and re-calibration is rather laborious in the RTW/M2TW modding, especially for such an advanced mod)

2) how the players feel staying the whole campaign with the same generals. With 2TPY the change happens and the aging is palpable. You've got a young general with a bright future, but after 20 turns he's not so young anymore. With 4TPY is slows down much. Depending on how many turns the people play, you may stay only with 1-2 generations of generals, or you may see 5-6 (this is the number I usually get in my games, I tend to get bored with the games after 150-200 turns).
    However, some people may like staying with the same generals, so it's a matter of taste.

JoC

Okay, got some weirdness with retraining/training queues and buildings.

Retraining seems broken- it'll only retrain a couple units out of a full queue before removing everything lined up for retraining from said queue. I have no idea why this is happening.
    Training units such as Templars, Hospitallers, etc. seems very hit-or-miss, sometimes it works, other times the units vanish from the training queue after I hit end turn.
    The problem with mines and mining complexes has popped up again, and also applies to Food Administration. Each of these buildings take 7, 9, and 10 turns to build, respectively, and they all vanish from the queue for no discernible reason. For the mining buildings, something happens to reduce the build times to 4 and 6 turns and then they seem buildable, but I have no idea why.

Blog Entries

I think that I need to check the export_descr_building file. I might be wrong but I think that the problem lies somewhere in there

Regarding the Religious Orders, I'm very tempted to re-work them completely. Reputation should not be taken into account (at least not the one tied to other factions). Their units shouldn't be available or useable without important consequences when at war with another Catholic faction. As far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong), these Orders didn't interfer in the European conflicts (military speaking of course).
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; October 23, 2018 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reaper101 View Post
    Retraining seems broken- it'll only retrain a couple units out of a full queue before removing everything lined up for retraining from said queue.
    I understand the very retraining is not broken but it won't retrain many units queued up? You may queue them up again and then got retrained?

The problem with mines and mining complexes has popped up again, and also applies to Food Administration. Each of these buildings take 7, 9, and 10 turns to build, respectively, and they all vanish from the queue for no discernible reason. For the mining buildings, something happens to reduce the build times to 4 and 6 turns and then they seem buildable, but I have no idea why.
    This is very interesting. Have you checked if this also work for the Food Administration?
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    I understand the very retraining is not broken but it won't retrain many units queued up? You may queue them up again and then got retrained?

This is very interesting. Have you checked if this also work for the Food Administration?
    Re-queuing them works on occasion, it kinda hit-or-miss.
    Food Administration has I think a similar phenomenon, but in its case it reduces in price instead of build time.
    I think it may have something to do with the carpenter building- maybe it doesn't register as being built in some cities?

Re-queuing them works on occasion, it kinda hit-or-miss.
    Food Administration has I think a similar phenomenon, but in its case it reduces in price instead of build time.
    I think it may have something to do with the carpenter building- maybe it doesn't register as being built in some cities?
    It this is a reason then removing the Carpenter requirement should solve the problem? I think it's actually redundant for this building as it's available at a high level of a city thus the Carpenter is sure to be built so this requirement is always met.

Hey guys so I don't know where to put this:

I made a couple of changes to the EDB, mainly I added some units to the "Mercenary Barracks" so that Jerusalem could have armenian units in Edessa and to the Kingdom of Sicily I added the ability for them to recruit some greek and arab (berbers) mercenaries in Palermo. Also I did added more mecenaries for the byzantines (rank 3 of the M_Barracks).

So it works, I can recruit the mercenaries in those cities, but know I am able to build the "Mercenary Barracks" in every city for every faction. Not what I intended. I can deal with it, it's not a game breaking feature, but how can I make them avilable only in those cities?, just like they always were in other settlements already (Sis, al-Mahdiya, Flanders ect ect).

TheMrVister's Avatar Foederatus

Hello. I need help with my SSHIP with submods. Could anyone help me, please?

My system.log file - it views when sometimes I click my diplomat character, but not always
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    16:52:07.402 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    16:52:07.402 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Sep 5 2014 version development ===
    16:52:07.402 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    16:52:07.402 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    16:52:07.402 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    16:52:07.402 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    16:52:07.402 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    16:52:07.402 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    16:52:16.279 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_ancillaries.txt, at line 522, column 21
    Could'n find ancillary effect description string <steward_effects_desc>.
    16:52:16.279 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_ancillaries.txt, at line 525, column 11
    Could'n find ancillary name string <steward_france>.
    16:52:16.279 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_ancillaries.txt, at line 562, column 21
    Could'n find ancillary effect description string <steward_greek_effects_desc>.
    16:52:16.279 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_ancillaries.txt, at line 565, column 11
    Could'n find ancillary name string <chamberlain>.
    16:52:27.810 [game.script] [always] Germanicu5 ReallyBadAI v5.7 Running. Please upload log and savegames when reporting battle CTDs for SS.
    16:53:17.097 [game.script] [always] CharacterTurnStart Army Supplies Costs : 270 : denmark, NotGeneral InEnemyRegion 1
    16:53:17.097 [game.script] [always] CharacterTurnStart Army Supplies Costs : 281 : denmark, General, ArmySize2, InEnemyRegion 1
    16:53:28.433 [game.script] [always] Fate rum BONUS 3000fl Sultanate of Rum expansion for RegionRange, years [1132,1430], regions [1,10]
    16:53:28.443 [game.script] [always] CharacterTurnStart Army Supplies Costs : 135 : rum, NotGeneral InEnemyRegion 0
    16:54:04.449 [game.script] [always] CharacterTurnStart Army Supplies Costs : 225 : turks, Captain
    16:54:16.398 [game.script] [always] CharacterTurnStart Army Supplies Costs : 225 : hre, Captain
    16:54:29.520 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

My submods
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Blog Entries

I guess that you're using the SSHIP Tweaks - mini-mods compilation done by tmodelsk. If yes, you should post your issue in there

I don't think you'd get the answer though as tmodelsk is effectively inactive.
    From what I see there's 9 sec. break between the last and the last-but-one error. It seems to me that they're unrelated and the log doesn't tell what's wrong.
    Indeed, you'd better to watch when a CTD happens and look for any regularity. Info about diplomats is interesting. I've worked a bit on them and found problems (see eg here) but I had the impression that there're dead parts of the code rather than prompting something to crash.

TheMrVister's Avatar Foederatus

Ok. Thank you

In the early campaign, when I try to play as Egypt, the game crashes when I click on the building icons...

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

It must come from your installation. I just tested at home without any problem ...
    Ah ... the bug actually happened to me by clicking on the icon of a building under construction! After restarting the game, the bug does not come back ...
    Last edited by kostic; December 16, 2018 at 01:58 PM.

Does anyone know what this is and how to fix it?

https://imgur.com/gtKx6y3

https://imgur.com/ndIW8xb

These massive 2D textures pop up every time I engage in battle on the battle map. I think it is textures of dead troops?

The texture can disapear when I rotate the camera to specific angles.