Thread: What are the rules for a unit to qualify for a free upkeep slot?

Default What are the rules for a unit to qualify for a free upkeep slot?

In vanilla MTW2, cities could upkeep for free any non-artillery unit they are capable of recruiting, in SSHIP both cities and castles have free upkeep slots, but I started a new game as Poland it seems that they are only capable of free upkeep for Eastern Slavic Militia(both cities and castles), even though they have the capacity to recruit more types of units. Even for "Local Militia" class units like Woodsmen, the free upkeep does not work. Anyone know what is the mechanic behind that? How does a specific type of a unit become eligible for being free upkeep? Is this described anywhere?

Majkl's Avatar Miles

Default Re: What are the rules for a unit to qualify for a free upkeep slot?

In order to have access free upkeep it must be "proper" militia unit. It must be stated in export_descr_unit.txt under "attributes" line. If it says "free_upkeep_unit" then it will work as free upkeep in game. Generally, all militia should be free upkeep. But if your unit is militia in name only, such as woodsman, it gets no free upkeep. If you check Woodsmen in EDU, it has no "free_upkee_unit" attribute.

Thank you, that explains the issue.

However, it should be included in overt unit description, not just as a hidden attribute in a txt file.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik1984 View Post
    Thank you, that explains the issue.

However, it should be included in overt unit description, not just as a hidden attribute in a txt file.
    perfect, I'll make a note of it for my minimod on unit descriptions
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Majkl View Post
    In order to have access free upkeep it must be "proper" militia unit. It must be stated in export_descr_unit.txt under "attributes" line. If it says "free_upkeep_unit" then it will work as free upkeep in game. Generally, all militia should be free upkeep. But if your unit is militia in name only, such as woodsman, it gets no free upkeep. If you check Woodsmen in EDU, it has no "free_upkee_unit" attribute.
    That's right concerning coding.
    In theory it should be like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    That's right concerning coding.
    In theory it should be like this:

Hi Jurand, I am currently working on unit descriptions for both gameplay and historical and immersive information.I'm wondering if you want me to follow that table of taxonomy of units for the descriptions.
    I also put morale in number, type of discipline and whether they are trained or not (the attributes come in the EDU).

Right now I was dividing the units into several types:
    -Elite troops (General bodyguards, Varangian Guard, Hirdsmen...)
    - Feudal Nobles (Mailed knights, landowners units...)
    -Free Professional troops (spearmen, light swordsmen, archers...)
    -Feudal Sergeants (all sergeants units)
    -Local militia (all low militia units, Locals...)
    Urban militia
    -Mercenaries (all mercenaries troops, generally with mercenary attribute)
    - Slave professionals (for muslims, Ghulams, mamluks)
    - Tribal troops (for cumans, lithuanians, berbers...)
    - Relogious Orders

In addition to standardizing the prefix "mercenary" in front of the unit name so that it is known that they are mercenary and are generally recruited outside the settlement. For example "Mercenary balkan archers"
    Same case for sergeant units with the suffix (Spearmen Sergeants, Swordsmen Sergeants...
    And the free upkeep information.

What do you think about it???

I don't want to do a job for nothing. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by j.a.luna; April 16, 2024 at 02:32 PM.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

It's perfect opportunity to make a submod.