Thread: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

Default Re: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Two brother adopted errors don't cause the game to crash.

In my experience, it's very, very easy to make a small error that at some point ends with a crash. Especially with the events file, EDB is safer, and EDU/strat are pretty safe if you've managed to go a few turns.

Definitely haven't ruled out my own changes, except for the event file. I just ran a campaign with KoJ with unaltered changes to the event files and hit the same crash just now. Other adjustments were only values in the EDU. I did what I always do to the pope and started him bankrupt with negative income and changed Constance di_Taranto from a 5 year old to an on screen princess.

Quote Originally Posted by george0433 View Post
    Definitely haven't ruled out my own changes, except for the event file. I just ran a campaign with KoJ with unaltered changes to the event files and hit the same crash just now. Other adjustments were only values in the EDU. I did what I always do to the pope and started him bankrupt with negative income and changed Constance di_Taranto from a 5 year old to an on screen princess.
    In the events file I commented out gunpowder and some other firearm related events, but not this time

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SteamedTang View Post
    I recently got a new computer so I am restarting the process of installing SSHIP, however, I am running into problems with SS6.4. I keep getting the 'unable to find kingdoms.exe' when installing SS6.4. The issue is that I've already copied medieval2exe and renamed it kingdoms. This worked for SS6.3 but is no longer working for SS6.4. Have any of you all run into this issue before.
    Just to rule out a wrong directory check that the launcher is in the mods\SS6.3 directory.

I did come across that issue at some stage but haven't been able to figure it out. In my case however it works in a fresh install and then fails on the second start. Now I simply use the regular BAT \CFG combo from my Bare Geomod mod setup. Only needs a small edit in the CFG file for the mod path and then you are ready to go. It also includes the affinity command that helps with smoother running.

Hello, today i installed sship 0.9.7 and patch F with kcc 0.9.5 on my fresh pc build and everything works great! I was trying to find some post about save game compatibility with no luck. I loaded my save files where i was 85 turns in and all the traits/ancillaries for all the generals where switched with other factions' generals and nothing made sense. I'm guessing that means i have to restart my campaign?

Nemesis2345's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by VegasMcSwaggerGr View Post
    Hello, today i installed sship 0.9.7 and patch F with kcc 0.9.5 on my fresh pc build and everything works great! I was trying to find some post about save game compatibility with no luck. I loaded my save files where i was 85 turns in and all the traits/ancillaries for all the generals where switched with other factions' generals and nothing made sense. I'm guessing that means i have to restart my campaign?
    Yes , its been many patches and changes and a new game is advised. Good thing is , Patch F is the last patch for this version so no more problems of compatibility until 0.9.8.

I'm playing with Sicily in sship 0.9.7 patch F with kcc 0.9.5, and getting some CTDs, there is the occasional crash that a save reload resolves it, but i'm also getting some crashes when entering in battle that are persistent, and i'm forced to auto-resolve. Until now i'm only getting those type of crashes when battling against the Serbs.

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Millan-Astray View Post
    I'm playing with Sicily in sship 0.9.7 patch F with kcc 0.9.5, and getting some CTDs, there is the occasional crash that a save reload resolves it, but i'm also getting some crashes when entering in battle that are persistent, and i'm forced to auto-resolve. Until now i'm only getting those type of crashes when battling against the Serbs.
    Can you provide us with the system.log after a crash ?
    Sometimes it helps us understand the cause of CTD and fix the problem.

@VegasMcSwaggerGr : Yes. I noticed this weird thing about the mixture of traits and titles when resuming a campaign already started before the updates.Only a new party will be able to put things back in place unfortunately.
    Last edited by kostic; November 29, 2020 at 11:50 AM.

Giorgios's Avatar Campidoctor

I'm encountering repeated CTDs early in my Byzantine campaign in 0.97- two consecutively at the end of turn 8 before a reload got me through, and three consecutively at the end of turn 9. These are occurring between the Papal and Rebel turns.

Per this post, I've amended a couple of files, but I don't think it should be anything game breaking, given it's only names that have been amended, and consistently across the Byzantine faction. Unless it's an issue with Byzantine rebels or somesuch spawning with faulty names?

Log and save attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sadly, I'm experiencing an error on my Georgian campaign when moving on to turn 18. This happens exactly in rebels move. SSHIP 0.9.7 with patch E. Everything installed correctly.
    CTD, here's trace log with the cause of problem:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    01:20:26.573 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <increment_kings_purse> at line 30850 in mods/SS6.3/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    01:20:26.573 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <if> at line 30854 in mods/SS6.3/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    01:20:26.573 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <faction_emerge> at line 30854 in mods/SS6.3/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    01:20:28.300 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

between papal and rebel - it's a rebel turn

@michal - it looks like the emergence script fails again. There's a stochastic element there, doesn't reload work?
    upload the save, anyway (I understand you're using version wihtouth KCC

In my norwegian campaign i had 2 Jihads and none get take their tarjet, only the armies go around the settlement but no conquest it... This hurts the Islamic factions because they mobilize powerful armies outside their homes for nothing ...
    Here a picture of 2 armies near the Jihad tarjet and none begin the siege...

i play with kostic minimod and patch E
    0006.rar
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

i usually get CTD referred to this script... the system log says "Script execution error for <if>, at line 48024, in mods/SSHIP098/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt: <faction> is unavailable from event <>"

"my" line 48024 is different because i removed the early sieges from the file (i don't like the idea). anyway, i highlight the line i get the errors from

;------------------- Byzantine Renaissance ---------------------------------
    ; important: this part of script should be before part that resets counter FL_is_crowned_ruler

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart SettlementName Constantinople
    and I_TurnNumber > 50 ;
    and not FactionType byzantium ; Byzantium lost capital
    and not FactionType slave ; but not to a rebellion
    and I_SettlementOwner Nicaea = byzantium ; holds Nikaia

historic_event BYZANTINE_RENAISSANCE_ALLOWED ; next part of script may fire
    terminate_monitor

end_monitor

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart SettlementName Constantinople

if EventCounter BYZANTINE_RENAISSANCE_ALLOWED = 1 ; Constantinople has been lost before
    and FactionType byzantium ; Constantinople has been recaptured
    and NumBuildingsCompletedFaction ikoner_studio > 4 ; art was supported in the meanwhile
    and EventCounter FL_is_crowned_ruler = 1 ; emperor is crowned

historic_event BYZANTINE_RENAISSANCE_STARTED ; benefits of Ikoner Studios will be higher (defined in EDB)
    terminate_monitor
    end_if

if I_TurnNumber > 250 ; fall-back in case Constantinople was not lost
    and FactionType byzantium

historic_event BYZANTINE_RENAISSANCE_STARTED factions { byzantium, }
    terminate_monitor
    end_if

end_monitor

Blog Entries

It's a formatting thingy:
    1. because it's a IF sequence it needs to be I_EventCounter, EvenCounter is not suitable to start with as it requires as export the EventCounter event
    2. because it's a IF sequence FactionType and NumBuildingsCompletedFaction will not work
    Code:
    if I_EventCounter BYZANTINE_RENAISSANCE_ALLOWED = 1                ; Constantinople has been lost before
        and FactionType byzantium                                        ; Constantinople has been recaptured
        and NumBuildingsCompletedFaction ikoner_studio > 4                ; art was supported in the meanwhile
        and I_EventCounter FL_is_crowned_ruler = 1                        ; emperor is crowned

historic_event BYZANTINE_RENAISSANCE_STARTED                ; benefits of Ikoner Studios will be higher (defined in EDB)
        terminate_monitor
    end_if

if I_TurnNumber > 250                                            ; fall-back in case Constantinople was not lost
         and FactionType byzantium        

historic_event BYZANTINE_RENAISSANCE_STARTED factions { byzantium, }
         terminate_monitor
    end_if
    For cases like this you usually have a 'faction turn' monitor at the start of your script that sets an event counter which then can be used in a IF sequence, see example for byzantium, the log line adds an entry in the log to indicate when a faction's turn starts and ends which comes handy during bug hunting:
    Code:
        monitor_event PreFactionTurnStart FactionType byzantium
            set_event_counter faction_turn_byzantium 1
            log always Turn Start byzantium
        end_monitor
        monitor_event FactionTurnEnd FactionType byzantium
            set_event_counter faction_turn_byzantium 0
            log always Turn End byzantium
        end_monitor
    The FactionType lines will then simply look like this: and I_EventCounter faction_turn_byzantium = 1
    For the NumBuildings condition you will need to use another monitor that sets (and resets at the faction's turn end) another event counter for use in the IF sequence.

Edit: on second thought the common FactionType condition could be put before the IF sequences. The NumBuilding remains an issue as it is only applicable to one IF sequence.

Having rambled extensively about the cause for the error I don't think that this script failure is fatal. It simply won't execute.
    Last edited by Gigantus; November 30, 2020 at 10:04 AM.

Lethal Jakkson's Avatar Civis

H there Im getting a unexpected error on the Cumen turn, it seems to be related to the Pagan Priest traits but it doesnt look like those lines are wrong, in both the L:45337 C:22 and L:45461 C:22 "and not Trait !PaganPriest > 0"
    as for the "at line 45319, column 12" i dont know it seems to be here "Trigger Pri!est_Pagan_Tengir_Cumans"
    (the ! marks were the fault is)

I cant work out whats wrong for "at line 45319, column 12" which is "and Trait PaganPriest = 0" for a mongol pagan Priest trigger shouldnt it be "PaganPriestMongol = 0"?

Heres the errors from the system.log
    14:06:29.955 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 45319, column 12
    Trait not recognised
    14:06:29.955 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 45437, column 22
    Trait not recognised
    14:06:29.955 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 45461, column 22
    Trait not recognised
    14:07:09.840 [game.script] [always] Germanicu5 ReallyBadAI v5.7 Running. Please upload log and savegames when reporting battle CTDs for SS.
    14:10:47.124 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.
    Working for myself for 3years and still finding time to play Total War

"power down now. Have your crew step out or we will kill you!" -
    Conl Sharp (Transformers)
    "wh
    at you talkin 'bout willis?"
    -Gary Coleman aka Arnold Jackson (Diff'rent Strokes)

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

@kaiser29: I'd guess it's not the reason for a CTD. In my experience, the line reported in the log is usually shifted a bit in comparison to the one reported. Then the reported error is usually the last not-CTD-causing line read by the script.

@Lethal: IMO the crash is unrelated to the pagan traits problems in this case, but it's useful information - I'll fix it.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; November 30, 2020 at 09:47 AM.

@michal - it looks like the emergence script fails again. There's a stochastic element there, doesn't reload work?
    upload the save, anyway (I understand you're using version wihtouth KCC
    Yup, I'm not using KCC. Reloading save turn 17 doesn't work, but on save from turn 15 I'm able to move on to turn 18. It sucks a little, but I understand since you warned about it. Anyway I send you save file in PM if you want to check.

Blog Entries

@kaiser29: I'd guess it's not the reason for a CTD. In my experience, the line reported in the log is usually shifted a bit in comparison to the one reported. Then the reported error is usually the last not-CTD-causing line read by the script.
    I did a lot of late editing in my response to the issue, see post. Basically it's a format issue but not fatal.

That's where my 'faction turn' monitor suggestion would come handy...
    Last edited by Gigantus; November 30, 2020 at 10:10 AM.

i did some testing today. i wanted to do something "extreme"... since i think the error that causes the CTDs are in the campaign script, i cancelled these scripts from the file and run some campaigns:

- Difficulty set-up (since i play on medium i suppose it doesn't matter if i delete it, right?)
    - Additional Armies at the Beginnning
    - Additional Fleets at the Beginnning
    - Scripted Early Sieges with Additional Armies
    - Additional Fleets Throughout The Game
    - Additional General if there're Too Few
    - Noble Lady Spawn Script (this one is really heavy)

and another thing: i removed from the map all the agents from all the factions (except for priests).

before these drastic measures i even had CTDs during the second turn. after all the deleting, in 3 campaigns i didn't have any problems to get to turn 40 without CTDs. i will update you

Thanks- do you know what might be causing it?

I'm using Patch F but no KCC.

Quote Originally Posted by Giorgios View Post
    Thanks- do you know what might be causing it?

I'm using Patch F but no KCC.
    Perhaps this can be safely ignored! Now played through to turn 20 without further CTD, which has just happened- again at the start of the Rebel turn.