Thread: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

Thanks, Gigantus, for having an eye on this!

I want to convey: "a general gets coward if he loses the battle (not WonBattle) without a heavy fight of his army (less than 40% enemies killed) and without heavy personal fight (he runs away with more than 50% of his bodyguard)". He won't get coward if he breaks at least one of these conditions: either wins, or his army inflicts heavy loses on the enemy, or he personally fights heavily.

It's perfectly fine if the trigger will not fire if the general killed all of the enemy but lost more then half his bodyguard. If he lost more than half of his bodyguards, then he's not coward.

Your suggestion is actually already implemented in the first trigger, in even more relaxed (for coward) way: if the general didn't fight at all, then he can be coward.

;------------------------------------------
    Trigger BattleCoward1_No_Killed_Enemies
    WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition IsGeneral
    and BattleOdds <= 5
    and GeneralFoughtInCombat
    and GeneralNumKillsInBattle < 2

Affects Coward 1 Chance 5
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; January 31, 2020 at 01:27 AM.

While playing as Portugal (only faction I played so far), the Military Education pop-up doesn't say anything, merely the title and the rest is blank.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Thanks for pointing it but we already know it tbh
    JoC told me that he will fix it in his next patch.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

It should say:

{MILITARY_EDUCATION_INFO_BODY}\n Military Education provides a general with very valuable military skills. It has four levels: Soldier Training, Officer Training, General Training and Commander-in-Chief Training. The first two (and, exceptionally, the third one) can be acquired by teenagers studying in the castles. Two higher levels usually require real military experience in the battles and some further studying. Don’t forget however that the main way to get this type of education is by fighting battles!\n Any general spending a whole turn in a castle-type settlement can get the Military Education. Military Minded teenagers will be trained very efficiently, while the Administrative oriented ones may get only basic martial skills (Soldier Training, in very rare cases Officer). The higher the level of the castle, the better. The “Born to Command” or “Born Conqueror” youngsters may easily get the Officer Training here, while in rare cases even the General’s one. There are maximum levels that can be attained: if a youngster attains the Officer Training in a Wooden Castle, there’s no point to train him further unless he’s got exceptional skills (Natural Commander or better). Similarly, in Castles, Fortresses and Citadels the maximum is the General Training – except for those with good skills (Talent for Command, Natural Commander or better) in the Citadels. So once you’ve got message of a general attaining a level of training, he might be ready for fight before he reaches the age of 20.\n This means that training in a citadel with many military buildings is the most efficient. This is especially true if the guilds - and even better their master levels – are present in the castle. Father’s traits have a significant impact on education, and good natural military skills (i.e. Talent for Command, Natural Commander or better), positive cognitive traits (Smart or better), ancillaries (like Tutor or Mentor or military book) also count. On the other hand, being unfit physically or mentally may thwart education.\n Once a general matures, he should go for war and get the hands-on experience. This will give him additional Military Education but also prepares him for further studies. If he becomes an Aspiring or Proven Commander, Great or Renowned Victor, he can complement education at fortresses or citadels, spending a few turns there. However, if he’s older than 50, or unfit physically or mentally, he will not able to get this education.\n During his life any general can learn a thing or two also from other sources – reading a Military Book or living in a settlement with a guild may help, if he’s endowed with natural military skills. On the other hand, after he passes 55, he’s likely to slowly forget his training due to the old age and ensuing senility.
    {MILITARY_EDUCATION_INFO_TITLE}Military Education

It'll be visible after the next patch :-)

Spelling and grammar check by a native speaker always welcome :-)
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; February 02, 2020 at 11:38 AM.

Giorgios's Avatar Campidoctor

Bad news. Playing the 19.01.2020 patch, I've encountered a CTD at turn 112- which repeats on rebooting the game. Log attached!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Giorgios View Post
    Bad news. Playing the 19.01.2020 patch, I've encountered a CTD at turn 112- which repeats on rebooting the game. Log attached!
    In the 19.01.2020 there's a significant error. Already described and discussed, starting this entry. It happens not at a fixed turn but once the conditions are met, it repeats iirc. It why I've issued later a patch, the 27.01.2020. If you want to continue your game, I think it might be enough just to apply historic_events.txt into your data/text folder, then delete the associated .bin file.

Giorgios's Avatar Campidoctor

Same CTD strikes again, unfortunately! I'll have to try installing the patch at some point- for now I'll try another mod for a while.

Foederatus

Playing as HRE, I noticed roughly around turn 220, that all my ritterbruders and hospitalers disappeared from recruitment window. Can't retrain them, can't create new ones. My catholic religion is high in all provinces, from Italy to the Baltic and have all the chapter houses built. They simply vanished from recruitment window, they're not even greyed out as one would expect when reaching full pool. I'm not excommunicated and have above average relationship with the pope. I do have a civil war going on, if thats maybe the culprit?

Blog Entries

How is your reputation? Did it happen everywhere or only for specific setlements?
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Prugalo View Post
    Playing as HRE, I noticed roughly around turn 220, that all my ritterbruders and hospitalers disappeared from recruitment window. Can't retrain them, can't create new ones. My catholic religion is high in all provinces, from Italy to the Baltic and have all the chapter houses built. They simply vanished from recruitment window, they're not even greyed out as one would expect when reaching full pool. I'm not excommunicated and have above average relationship with the pope. I do have a civil war going on, if thats maybe the culprit?
    It seems your GlobalStanding (ie global reputation: how the other factions see you) is too low (below -0.3). To much extermination, killing prisoners etc. Perhaps also the civil war. The chivalric knights don't like such rulers.

monitor_event PreFactionTurnStart TrueCondition
    and GlobalStanding > -0.3
    and not FactionExcommunicated

set_event_counter order_recruitment_enabled 1
    end_monitor

Nemesis2345's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    It seems your GlobalStanding (ie global reputation: how the other factions see you) is too low (below -0.3). To much extermination, killing prisoners etc. Perhaps also the civil war. The chivalric knights don't like such rulers.

monitor_event PreFactionTurnStart TrueCondition
    and GlobalStanding > -0.3
    and not FactionExcommunicated

set_event_counter order_recruitment_enabled 1
    end_monitor
    Maybe you can find a workaround of this? Cause how i noticed the game , usually your reputation will be bad unless you dont do anything. Someone wages war on you and you ahve to defend, you losse rep , if you expand , you lose rep . Maybe should just leave pope relations like minimum 8 crosses or the Faction Leader should have at least 5 piety or chivalry whatever. The reputation system does not work well for the player

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis2345 View Post
    Maybe you can find a workaround of this? Cause how i noticed the game , usually your reputation will be bad unless you dont do anything. Someone wages war on you and you ahve to defend, you losse rep , if you expand , you lose rep . Maybe should just leave pope relations like minimum 8 crosses or the Faction Leader should have at least 5 piety or chivalry whatever. The reputation system does not work well for the player
    Yes, totally agree. I think that is more "fair" have a lot of crosses and good relations with the pope for can recruit religious knights as templars, teutonics, santiago... Not for only have bad relations with the rest of factions because is so easy lose reputation
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Blog Entries

The idea behind your reputation is to represent how others see you. So, basically, the more powerful your faction becomes, the more others can see you as a potential treat. I agree that the actual system is too manichean and more nuances should be added to the principle. However, I'm not sure that it can be done.

The other point is about the religious orders. In the actual system, if your reputation is bad, you can't recruit them. Again, that's not the best way IMO. On the other hand, it doesn't make sens to recruit these orders to fight against another Catholic faction. Actually, they should be used to spread your faith/religion, basically, for crusades or conquest of territories with another religion. If a Catholic faction uses them against another Catholic one or against an Orthodox one, then they should become unavailable and the faction should be excommunicated. Exceptions/adjustments should be made for some factions ( CS, Spain, HRE) regarding the avalaibility of some orders. But again, I have no idea if and how it can be done.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; February 05, 2020 at 12:26 PM. Reason: typos

@Prugalo, @Nemesis - one of my concerns with the current SSHIP is the softness of the diplomatic AI. Have you noticed how it does behave after turn, say, 150? (and give the difficulty level, pls)

Ok, so regarding the last patch, i dont think is that save compatible hah , since all of my existing characters recieved random traits and it's a mess. I suppose new characters are fine but existing ones recieved lots of random traits. This could mess up any big campaign where u have lots of chars.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    @Prugalo, @Nemesis - one of my concerns with the current SSHIP is the softness of the diplomatic AI. Have you noticed how it does behave after turn, say, 150? (and give the difficulty level, pls)
    Hmm.....well in my HRE campaign i noticed some factions will gravitate towards certain settlements , like the Moors , they somehow wanted Arles so hard they bypassed Bordeaux, Toulouse and Barcelona just to sail there, and attack me. After i defeated them , they immediately asked for ceasefire, only to attack me 10 turns later, and repeat. So...the AI goes agressive against the player but will ask ceasefire as soon as they get overwhelmed , Moors had already wars in iberia , i would have been the 6th faction in war with them.

I also noticed that , Byzantines are rly strong and expand really well , they even kept the Mongols at bay (they didnt lose any territories to mongols , the horde still took russia and cumans , but the byzantines stood their ground). Again , as long as i had amiable realtions with them, they seem to leave me alone , same goes for most of the factions.

The Papal States are the most annoying thing in this game, they expand like there is no tommorow , i was lucky enough to have Venice take Rome , i asked for a crusade and took it for myself, and i gifted the Pope the settlement in Corsica Island since the Pope cant build navies , i think it is the only way to stop him from expansion sprees. In my currend French game i had to surrender their regions several times because at that rate they would have conquered half of europe and that is both unimmersive and unfun imo.

Most factions tend to keep to themselves , weaker factions such as Lithuania and Norway seem to fight for the same surrounding lands , however bigger factions such as HRE , Hungary , Poland they seem to exapand almost immediately.

The AI seems better than vanilla (you said you didnt play it) overall , i mean when the AI senses a weakness or a surprise attack they will do it and you will have to either withdraw some campaigns to save ur cities or try to bribe them with money.

Blog Entries

Our main concern is: we have noticed that the AI tend to keep alliances where it used to break them a lot more often in the previous version. For instance, playing as Scotland, I managed to keep my alliance with England during more than 100 turns (until I stop my campaign actually). That was something impossible in v0.9.5. Same thing applies between Norway and Denmark.
    The problem is that we have no idea why the AI has this behaviour now. We originally modified the descr_faction-standing.txt file to make peace proposal easier to be accepted but even by reversing the changes, the AI keeps that behaviour

Foederatus

When I rebooted the game all my ritterbruders and other knights are available again Been playing for 50 turns now and they stick with me, maybe it was caused by that civil war I had, but I doubt it. Playing as a catholic I tend to have decent relationships with other catholics (at least my neighbours). I honestly don't have any suggestions on holy order knights, they kind of seem ok to me. Considering balancing I think Jurand is right, cca turn 150 things start to become easier, money starts piling, building in every settlement, elite units recruiting,... Can actually anything be done? I doubt it, its how the game works, no? I agree with Nemesis, especially on Moors and Byzantines, 9 out of 10 times they are unstoppable. Currently turn 280, Moors stretch from Tunis, through entire Iberia, their northern border is Gand (Flanders). Iberian catholic factions occasionally throw them out of their capitals, but this only lasts for a turn or two. Buffing Castillia or nerfing Moors or both, would be my suggestion. In the east Byzantines currently are at the gates of Novgorod, pushing Mongols to the east of Caucasus, and owning most of the Holy land. Nerf Byzantines, empower the Rum sultanate, they tend to get wiped in first turns, would be my suggestion. Factions like Serbia have a hard time respawning, I believe its due to the fact their capital is a fort, where its easier for the conquering faction to maintain public order. I cant say I have too many problems with Pope, if playing as a catholic I always have good relatioships with him, shower him with gifts when there its time for a new crusade. Then most of the time I choose where I want the entire catholic world to go, which is 99% against Moors (keeps them at bay). Crusader states and Zengids in the middle east tend to get wiped out rather soon. In Britain the English start as strong, then they start to push into France, Scots reappear and conquer all Britannia, but I guess this is a part of incredible total war ai Ugh, this was long, hope you got some useful info out of it. I would also be in favor of trimming down the number of merchants available.

Ik that the Moors simply get acces to too much cavalry early in the game, thats why they are so unstoppable. Remember fighting at turn 100 almost full stacks of Chirstian and Arab cav , preety sure in auto -resolving , cavalry has advantage over regular infantry. Also on the battle map is just as annyoiyng

In my opinion, about nerf moors and byzantines ( furthemore of revise their units rosters), for moors is possible make a script event for the invasion of almohads ( more religious muslims fanatics that almoravids) about the year 1145-1147 near to Marrakech,Sigilmasa and Fez, some numerous armies of berber troops ,ghazis and other religious troops fanatics(muttatawi troops) commanded for Abd Al-Mumin, this will decrease the power of almoravids and invasion of their south rich cities( could be a script similar to bulgarian rebellion)
    Information about almohads is in wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almohad_Caliphate
    For byzantines is possible add more civil wars for them and increase the rum armies at the beginning of the game( for simulate a great invasion of Anatolia) this will be difficult for romans reconquest the rest of Anatolia due to at the beginning of the game they must resist to the turks armies ( horse archers, turks archers, ghazis, spearmen, mercenaries, kurdishs troops...)
    Last edited by j.a.luna; February 06, 2020 at 03:34 AM.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Razor's Avatar Licenced to insult

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis2345 View Post
    Ok, so regarding the last patch, i dont think is that save compatible hah , since all of my existing characters recieved random traits and it's a mess. I suppose new characters are fine but existing ones recieved lots of random traits. This could mess up any big campaign where u have lots of chars.

Hmm.....well in my HRE campaign i noticed some factions will gravitate towards certain settlements , like the Moors , they somehow wanted Arles so hard they bypassed Bordeaux, Toulouse and Barcelona just to sail there, and attack me. After i defeated them , they immediately asked for ceasefire, only to attack me 10 turns later, and repeat. So...the AI goes agressive against the player but will ask ceasefire as soon as they get overwhelmed , Moors had already wars in iberia , i would have been the 6th faction in war with them.

I also noticed that , Byzantines are rly strong and expand really well , they even kept the Mongols at bay (they didnt lose any territories to mongols , the horde still took russia and cumans , but the byzantines stood their ground). Again , as long as i had amiable realtions with them, they seem to leave me alone , same goes for most of the factions.

The Papal States are the most annoying thing in this game, they expand like there is no tommorow , i was lucky enough to have Venice take Rome , i asked for a crusade and took it for myself, and i gifted the Pope the settlement in Corsica Island since the Pope cant build navies , i think it is the only way to stop him from expansion sprees. In my currend French game i had to surrender their regions several times because at that rate they would have conquered half of europe and that is both unimmersive and unfun imo.

Most factions tend to keep to themselves , weaker factions such as Lithuania and Norway seem to fight for the same surrounding lands , however bigger factions such as HRE , Hungary , Poland they seem to exapand almost immediately.

The AI seems better than vanilla (you said you didnt play it) overall , i mean when the AI senses a weakness or a surprise attack they will do it and you will have to either withdraw some campaigns to save ur cities or try to bribe them with money.
    It should be easy to fix the behaviour of the papal_states. Simply give them an AI that doesn't attack, but only defend.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    Our main concern is: we have noticed that the AI tend to keep alliances where it used to break them a lot more often in the previous version. For instance, playing as Scotland, I managed to keep my alliance with England during more than 100 turns (until I stop my campaign actually). That was something impossible in v0.9.5. Same thing applies between Norway and Denmark.
    The problem is that we have no idea why the AI has this behaviour now. We originally modified the descr_faction-standing.txt file to make peace proposal easier to be accepted but even by reversing the changes, the AI keeps that behaviour
    Perhaps this is related to something in the descr_campaign_ai_db.xml file?