Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

I just started my first SSHIP campaign as crusader states, but noticed there are no siege engines available to construct at the siege works. We don't get access to trebuchet, or any other flingy/shooty things ?
    Signature by Lucarius.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

If my memory serves me well, you need to build a carpenter shop (logging camp upgrade) before to be able to build a siege engine workshop.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

It appears that the other prerequisite for the Trebuchet (at least for crus states) is for the first_rudder event. I'm not familiar with the dating used for events, but I'm guessing 48 means 48 turns until the event triggers.
    Signature by Lucarius.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

It means 96 turns.
    If you're interested in the siege issues, the pertinent discussion is also here.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Oh it's 96 turns. Thanks for clarifying.
    Signature by Lucarius.

My way of solving the settlements from revolting was to change the: descr_settlement_mechanics.
    This mod was not enjoyable for me with the cities being mad all the time.

Default Re: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    So basically, you're rising an issue just for a missing information message?
    It might easier just to setup a message like the one for "End of a dynasty?" to represent a new one replacing the other
    And for info, JoC has started to implement information messages about the game features. They will pop up during the first few turns in the next release.
    Well I have no documented information on the man who is inheriting the throne of my dynasty, no documentation of his wife, how many kids they have, how old they are, what their names are, if they are boy or girl and when they will be coming of age. For me, that's a pretty glaring issue.

I'm reporting it as a bug because a mechanic this un-intuitive couldn't possibly be intended. It's either a bug in the base game, or a mod integration issue. Either way I felt it best to report on it as it's not conducive to good gameplay, And imo , makes very little sense.

What tradition?
    Historically, dynaties didn't last forever and there are numerous examples of a family replacing another for ruling. Not to mention other systems such as republics or by electing the ruler like for the HRE. What about marriages as well? Not to mention how it worked in the Muslim realms.

About the game mechanic, you're basically reporting something due to the game mechanic. I don't know if it can be done but another option when there are male kids under age would be to appoint a temporary ruler, a tutor if you like, for the time the oldest kid reaches the right age to rule himself
    That is accurate. It happened many times even if the tutor kept the power in some cases by eliminating the heir

To my knowledge, dynasties in medieval period always handed succession through bloodlines first and adoption when that was not possible, though the latter was frequent, it wasn't following the preferred method of succession. If it was, bloodline succession wouldn't proceed both adoption or any other right to rule. Succession without adoption or bloodline for a western dynasty would be the exception and not the rule. It follows the same logic of modern day inheritance, in that family take precedence of becoming benefactors. The game mechanics are structured to borrow from this premise because it's both logical and consistent with reality. It also translates into an intuitive system for governing your empire.
    Signature by Lucarius.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruprecht View Post
    To my knowledge, dynasties in medieval period always handed succession through bloodlines first and adoption when that was not possible, though the latter was frequent, it wasn't following the preferred method of succession. If it was, bloodline succession wouldn't proceed both adoption or any other right to rule. Succession without adoption or bloodline for a western dynasty would be the exception and not the rule. It follows the same logic of modern day inheritance, in that family take precedence of becoming benefactors. The game mechanics are structured to borrow from this premise because it's both logical and consistent with reality. It also translates into an intuitive system for governing your empire.
    I think rebellions were ubiqutous in the Middle Ages and the rule of direct descendants of a ruler would last 0 or very few generations. Inheriting a kingdom would in most cases be a difficult and bloody affair. There're always dozens of people wanting the job, starting with the brothers of the guy (as a result we get the Ottoman behaviour of killing all the brothers by a new ruler at times in 16th century, or the Byzantine rulers gauging the eyes of his brothers earlier, or so many "blind" rulers in Hungary or Kiev). The deterministic mechanics should not have a place in a historical game - but it is through the "heir" attribute, so leaving possiblity of rebellions and some variability in who is going to be the heir (made by the game engine) is a right choice.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ruprecht View Post
    Well I have no documented information on the man who is inheriting the throne of my dynasty, no documentation of his wife, how many kids they have, how old they are, what their names are, if they are boy or girl and when they will be coming of age. For me, that's a pretty glaring issue.

I'm reporting it as a bug because a mechanic this un-intuitive couldn't possibly be intended. It's either a bug in the base game, or a mod integration issue. Either way I felt it best to report on it as it's not conducive to good gameplay, And imo , makes very little sense.
    There's no problem to report it. I'm just pointing the fact that this is not a bug but rather a game mechanic thing. Basically, if you have a FL with no male kid or with under aged male kid when he dies, then the game will (randomly?) choose a general to replace him. If that general is not a family member, then he just pops up in the family tree with no warnings.
    Beside a message like the one for "End of a Dynasty" with a bit of scripting, I can't see what can be done. However, we won't include any general as a family member at the start of the game if he wasn't in real history. The other point is that we also try to keep the script as 'light' as possible in order to keep AI turns as short as possible.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

For those who haven't noticed it yet, I've posted some info about the next release here.
    If you want to comment, please, use this thread in priority. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: [Release] SSHIP v0.9.5 downloadable - 25th of December 2018

I dont know if it has been addressed in the pages before, I only checked back two - but were you able to tackle the visual discrepancies between units? You have very detailed rusichi units in your mods, next to *very* blandly reskinned vanilla ones. This not only highly immersion breaking, but also just an eyesore.

I know this is a huge undertaking, so please dont take me as coming off petulant, I was just really thrown off by this the last time I played the Mod (I know this is an inherited problem from SS vanilla).

If you have not managed to do this, I'd like to offer my help in BMDB work, leeching more visually appropriate models from other mods.

Blog Entries

No, we haven't yet. We wanted to get ride of most of the issues and incoherences first in order to get a clean basis before to develop the mod further. The next version won't be perfect but we heading toward the right direction.
    Regarding more specifically your question, the goal in the long term is to get ride of the vanilla units. We need to clean the EDU first in order to implement more specific rosters per faction and an AoR system. In parallel and from that stage, we should be able to re-work the aesthetic of the models for a better homogeneity - I'd say
    However, this is quite ambitious and won't be done shortly. We're only 3 dev with limited free time.

I like it so far! Will you add settlements like calais, montgomery, lyon, brest, preslav, sofia, kaunus, vallolodid, and into the new release?

Blog Entries

No, because we have already reached the game limits. The only way to proceed that way would be to add permanent stone forts (PSF) on the map, using a city model and with an invisible agent to give it its proper name. The bad side of this is that the AI seems unable to deal properly with PSF's.
    That's not a priority for now. There are still many other points to work on before to think about this.

What else will the team be working on?

Quote Originally Posted by Domeric_Bolton View Post
    I dont know if it has been addressed in the pages before, I only checked back two - but were you able to tackle the visual discrepancies between units? You have very detailed rusichi units in your mods, next to *very* blandly reskinned vanilla ones. This not only highly immersion breaking, but also just an eyesore.

I know this is a huge undertaking, so please dont take me as coming off petulant, I was just really thrown off by this the last time I played the Mod (I know this is an inherited problem from SS vanilla).

If you have not managed to do this, I'd like to offer my help in BMDB work, leeching more visually appropriate models from other mods.
    what units would you leech and from what mods ? just a few examples

do you have the required permissions tho ? you need that for public releases

i like many of the older unit models more, current western units for example are so skinny and tiny they're like children, colors are also sort of washed up all brown and grey instead of the more vivid vanilla colors, especially the shield and the surcoat heraldry colors

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sullivanclan1 View Post
    What else will the team be working on?
    Not in order: units rosters, animations, AoR system, crowns, remaining known issues, etc...

Will there be any new units for each faction?

Blog Entries

Not yet.

Do you guys know anything about how the inquisitors work? I know Bellum Crucis uses a type of agent that you can use to kill your own Generals and I think they are using the inquisitor agent to do that but I have no more info on that and would like to know more about how they do it.