Thread: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

First and foremost, thank you Lifthrasir and Jurand of Cracow for updating this wonderful mod with so many great and immersive changes. It is truly a joy to play the game with it.

Now, like others mentioned before, I've had issues with a few traits that have negatively affected my experience, specially the Intelligent trait. I am ruling over a nation of ignoramuses, where stupidity is the norm and every general coming of age is retarded or autist and no amount of schooling can fix it. It would be pretty hilarious if it wasn't me suffering the consequences.

Reading Jurand's comments of a new incoming patch is wonderful news (thanks Jurand), however I didn't know about any of this since I've been without internet for a while. So, frustrated with my generals and without access to the internet for help, I decided to take a look at the mod and fixed some the problems I encountered. I will post them here for those of you in the middle of a campaign, since I read that the incoming patch is not save game compatible.

The bugs were very simple to fix, I simply followed the errors in the log file. Most were related to trait levels not being specified int the vnv.txt file -this was the cause of the "teenager" trait disappearing. In the case of the Intelligent trait however, I took the liberty of going beyond bug fixing, as I felt the setup was a little biased toward stupidity. With my changes, after a general receives at least a basic education, he will no longer be ignorant.

(Please note that I use Linux and edited the files with a Linux text editor this should cause no problem, Windows is the odd one that uses carriage return characters as newlines instead of the established /n character but it also recognizes standard newlines)

Jurand, I saw somewhat more serious errors about the settlementExists condition not being usable with the ComesOfAge trigger. If this is the case, you might want to rework all these triggers because this section of code will not work. I had the logs ready to send them to you but I seem to have lost them

Edit 1: to my previous post: Please do not forget to DELETE all the string.bin files in your text folder to force the game to recreate the vnv.txt file. Your game will crash if you don't. All the files have to be deleted apparently; at first I deleted only vnv.string.bin and the game didn't crash on startup but it did at the end of the turn. I had to fight a battle again after I'd had a heroic victory against a superior Polish force. Wouldn't want that to happen to you.

Edit 2: All my changes can be found by searching for "mm_fix", in case anyone is curious or wants to make changes of their own.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; February 19, 2020 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Posts merged for clarity

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

Hi XXZit,

thanks for your feedback and your coding. I think it's very useful for the people playing the current version.

I haven't access to the game for 2 weeks now so I couldn't issue a patch or check for the fixes I've prepared. I was just coding in the free time I'd had.

Disappearing Teenager - I had expected that my economising on the descriptions created the problem. I'm going to either make them specific for each level or just delete them as they don't have any use in the game.

For the Intelligent trait - it was meant to start at Ignorant to enable the player to improve it over education or other events in life. I see it was not the best choice on my side. In the fix it'll be quite different: it'll be about natural congitive abilities and has little to do with knowledge. There'll now "Ignorant" or "Knows Little" but it will go: Idiot-Stupid-Unintelligent-NormalCognitiveAbilities-Intelligent-Smart-Genius. On average the characters will be at Normal (if not impacted by the Mother traits "WifeIs..."), but they will improve only marginally later on. The trait will be even more important than it used to be.

string.bin files - it's better just to delete the relevant file (associated with the vnv) since a few of the bin files are not regenerated automatically and you'll have descriptions "tobbacco" etc.

settlementExists condition not being usable with the ComesOfAge trigger. - I'm actually not sure if they work. It was in the base SS and in the SSHIP092 but I've actucally didn't develop them much. If you provide info they don't work, it'll be useful for me. I'm using more FactionBuildingExists. Anyway, these are not serious errors as they don't crash the game and they provide only marginal, additional probabilities to gain traits at CoA.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    ;========================================================;-------- INTELLIGENT -----------------------------------
    ;--------------------------------------------------------
    ;-- levels(points) 1(3),2(10),3(13),4(16),5(19),6(23),7(27),8(30),9(35)
    ;-- note that the "middle" is 20.5
    ;-- the first level is used to fix initial Intelligent, just in case
    ;-- triggers are adjusted to those 9 levels

;------------------------------------------------------
    Trait Intelligent
    Characters family

Level Intelligent_Min_Technical_Level
    Description Idiot_desc
    EffectsDescription Idiot_effects_desc
    Threshold 3

Effect Authority -2
    Effect Command -1

Level Idiot
    Description Idiot_desc
    EffectsDescription Idiot_effects_desc
    Threshold 10

Effect Authority -2
    Effect Command -1

Level Stupid
    Description Stupid_desc
    EffectsDescription Stupid_effects_desc
    Threshold 13

Effect Authority -1
    Effect Command -1

Level Unintelligent
    Description Unintelligent_desc
    EffectsDescription Unintelligent_effects_desc
    Threshold 16

Effect Authority -1

Level NormalCongnitiveAbilities
    Description NormalCongnitiveAbilities_desc
    EffectsDescription NormalCongnitiveAbilities_effects_desc
    Threshold 19

Level Intellligent
    Description Intellligent_desc
    EffectsDescription Intellligent_effects_desc
    Threshold 23

Effect Authority 1

Level Smart
    Description Smart_desc
    EffectsDescription Smart_effects_desc
    Threshold 27

Effect Authority 1
    Effect Command 1

Level Genius
    Description Genius_desc
    EffectsDescription Genius_effects_desc
    Threshold 30

Effect Command 1
    Effect Authority 2

Level Intelligent_Max_Technical_Level
    Description Genius_desc
    EffectsDescription Genius_effects_desc
    GainMessage Genius_gain_desc
    Threshold 35

Effect Command 1
    Effect Authority 2
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; February 19, 2020 at 02:21 AM.

Default Dead Units Issues

Hello, I recently started playing SS (with SSHIP) and started having issues with dead units during battles while playing as England. During a siege I was fighting during a civil war, dead units would t-pose in the ground (specifically hunters) and after a while, the meshes of dead units would blow up and cover most of the screen when the camera is hovering over/near them. I have no idea why this started happening and I have no clue on how to resolve this. I didn't think to take photos of the issues, but I can try getting some. If this is a problem with SSHIP and not SS, please inform me and I'll head over to the sub-mod forums.

I think your idea of generals starting out as ignorant was good, it’s realistic and makes sense. It just needed some tweaking in my opinion. For instance greatly increasing the chances of obtaining Intelligence points (as long as the general is still below the “normal” threshold) if there are educational buildings in the settlement when the general comes of age and ensuring that acquiring an education administrative or military “cures” the ignorance. But I trust whatever you came up with is going to be better.

I like the new Intelligence levels you posted, and detaching Ignorant from Intelligent makes perfect sense. Ignorant should really go to an educational trait line. Intelligence affecting the cognitive capabilities of a general as you mentioned -possibly even increasing his aptitude for education although I think you already have a trait that does that- and Ignorant being a level of the “Education” or “Knowledge” trait lines that could influence things like trading, taxes or even population growth. Yes, I think you are on the right track with your new changes, they’re great.

I would be happy to help you test any new changes you implement while you are away from the game. Sadly, my laptop fan died and I have to wait for a replacement before I can play again. I downloaded the mod files to my backup computer so I can do edits, I just can’t test or play; we are basically in the same situation haha.

The replacement should arrive soon though and I should be up and running in no time. I’ll send you the log files specifying where the ComesOfAge trigger and other errors are then. In the meantime, I’ll see if I can find a workaround to mimic what they do; If I can’t, well, like you said they are not that important.

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

@GeneralKnob : this problem is known. It comes from a problem of animation of the units of peasant archers, militia and longbowmen. With my sub-mods you will no longer have this problem because I replaced these units with a different model. On the other hand, this model does not integrate the animation of the loading of the arrows on the rope, like the original model.
    PS :My sub-mod for version 0.9.6 of the game is not quite ready yet. To use it currently, you must install version 0.9.5. of SSHIP (KCC in Mini Mods section)

@XXZit - Thanks for you fixes, I've implemented them in the next version. I think you are able to analyse carefully the traits and points, so maybe you'd check my calculation after I'd issue the next patch? Eg. I've made such countings but I may have overlooked something.

;========================================================================================= FARMER;--------- Farmer -----------------------------------
    ;-- levels(points) 1(2),2(4),3(8),4(12)

;-- only on-the-job experience: general has to stay in the province and end movement in the settlement
    ;-- minimum requirement is FitForOffice, but for many triggers also positive Intelligence
    ;-- some other traits and presence of certain buildings will also help
    ;-- no difference between castle and city
    ;-- also Teenagers get the points (but effectively rarely since schooling takes place in bigger settlements)
    ;
    ;-- How many points is collected in 10 years (20 turns):
    ; any general in town/castle (not bigger) 2.0
    ; Intelligent general in town/castle (not bigger) 2.0
    ; Genius, HorseRacer, Energetic+NotMarried : each 1.0
    ; Basic/Standard Admin and Pagan Education: 2.0 / 3.0
    ; Stables, Monastery, Plaza del Toro, Racing Track, HorseBreeders Guild - each 1.0
    ; Lithuanians with Dievas/Perkunas altar 1.0
    ; finished building farms 1.0 (the only with 100%) + 0.5 + 0.1
    ; finished building roads, mills, markets, monastery 0.5
    ; finished building churches 0.1
    ; finished building chapter houses 0.05
    ;
    ; That makes after 10 years:
    ; stupid in a town/castle: 2.0
    ; Intelligent in a town/castle: 4.0
    ; Standard educated Intelligent AdminMind in a town/castle: 7.0
    ; non-educated not-intelligent in a city/fortress: 0.0
    ; Standard educated AdminMind in a city/fortress: 3.0

One of the main things to know while making a game is to know that the players don't like negative bonuses or issues. So I won't make "ignorant" visible and used in the triggers, but simply make less trigger (or negative ones) for those who are unschooled (no education). Effectively, it'll mean "ignorant".
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; February 20, 2020 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    One of the main things to know while making a game is to know that the players don't like negative bonuses or issues. So I won't make "ignorant" visible and used in the triggers, but simply make less trigger (or negative ones) for those who are unschooled (no education). Effectively, it'll mean "ignorant".
    That is clever for presentation purposes, but I also think that is a good way to simulate "ignorance" as a trait. I can imagine a couple things where ignorance would create a visible negative effect (I'm thinking in particular of possible unrest in foreign regions, or regions where the religion is mainly not the ignorant general's; an ignorant general might be insensitive to particularities of other cultures, thus angering them), but overall it's mainly drawback should just be to prevent the general from gaining other good traits. I mean, in the real world, that is the biggest drawback for ignorant people generally. Sure, some of them are spiteful and mean too, but that is usually more about their own psychology than their education, and ignorance only necessarily limits good traits that are information-centered. So to sum, I like your idea there Jurand!
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    That is clever for presentation purposes, but I also think that is a good way to simulate "ignorance" as a trait. I can imagine a couple things where ignorance would create a visible negative effect (I'm thinking in particular of possible unrest in foreign regions, or regions where the religion is mainly not the ignorant general's; an ignorant general might be insensitive to particularities of other cultures, thus angering them), but overall it's mainly drawback should just be to prevent the general from gaining other good traits. I mean, in the real world, that is the biggest drawback for ignorant people generally. Sure, some of them are spiteful and mean too, but that is usually more about their own psychology than their education, and ignorance only necessarily limits good traits that are information-centered. So to sum, I like your idea there Jurand!
    It's going to be exactly as you've described but served on a different plate.
    - less upfront negative traits for which a player would hate his generals
    - the more intelligent can get more eduction and more better traits
    - only educated can get economic skills that can have a big impact on the income
    - education provides also for +law effects that's important in the foreign regions
    So "un-educated" means "ignorant" and if they're un-educated they don't get all the good effects, so there'll be a big difference between "Normal intelligence" and "Intelligent" or "Smart".

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quick update on the missing sounds issue (more specific to French and German version of the game): the good news is that only the 4 factions with new names (Zengids, Abbsids, Georgia and Serbia) don't have voices. The bad news is that some other sounds are missing such as on the menu screen for example
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

So this is not yet the solution ... Bigre ! What happened between version 0.9.5 and 0.9.6 so that the game was no longer able to recreate the voices and good sounds for each faction?
    For my part, I successfully integrated my models_strats! I will be able to advance in my new version.

the sound on the menu screen can be founded in the descr_sound_music text;
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; FRONTEND ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

state MUSIC_FRONTEND
    event
    folder data/sounds/music
    frontend.mp3
    end

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Default CTD

I need some help with a CTD I keep getting on my saved game

00:11:26.763 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    00:11:26.763 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Sep 5 2014 version development ===
    00:11:26.767 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    00:11:26.767 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    00:11:26.769 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    00:11:26.769 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    00:11:26.770 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    00:11:26.770 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    00:11:31.451 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 45319, column 12
    Trait not recognised
    00:11:31.452 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 45437, column 22
    Trait not recognised
    00:11:31.452 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 45461, column 22
    Trait not recognised
    00:11:42.998 [game.script] [always] Germanicu5 ReallyBadAI v5.7 Running. Please upload log and savegames when reporting battle CTDs for SS.
    00:12:19.173 [game.script] [always] Germanicu5 ReallyBadAI v5.7 Running. Please upload log and savegames when reporting battle CTDs for SS.
    00:12:41.407 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Default Re: CTD

Quote Originally Posted by Larsel View Post
    I need some help with a CTD I keep getting on my saved game

00:11:26.763 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    00:11:26.763 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Sep 5 2014 version development ===
    00:11:26.767 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    00:11:26.767 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    00:11:26.769 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    00:11:26.769 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    00:11:26.770 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    00:11:26.770 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    00:11:31.451 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 45319, column 12
    Trait not recognised
    00:11:31.452 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 45437, column 22
    Trait not recognised
    00:11:31.452 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 45461, column 22
    Trait not recognised
    00:11:42.998 [game.script] [always] Germanicu5 ReallyBadAI v5.7 Running. Please upload log and savegames when reporting battle CTDs for SS.
    00:12:19.173 [game.script] [always] Germanicu5 ReallyBadAI v5.7 Running. Please upload log and savegames when reporting battle CTDs for SS.
    00:12:41.407 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

It doesn't say anything. Change *error into *trace in the .cfg file (main folder of the mod), and post it again. Do you play with the recent patch (2.02)?

Default Re: SSHIP - Bugs Reports & Technical Help

Hello everyone, I recently installed the SSHIP mod for SS6.4 and have been encountering many ctds in my play throughs as the Byzantine Empire. the highest turn count Ive gotten to has been around 75. I have the 4gb patch, Ive installed Med II to a fairly short file path I also have changed a few of the files to get rid of the relations character trait and only have "of ___ blood" traits Ive done this last bit to vanilla SS6.4 without issue. Also Im playing on a computer which can more than handle this game. Any help or suggestions would be amazing, thank you!

Here is my system log:
    20:40:59.811 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE220:40:59.811 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Sep 5 2014 version development ===
    20:40:59.814 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    20:40:59.814 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    20:40:59.814 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    20:40:59.815 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    20:40:59.815 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    20:40:59.815 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    20:41:02.364 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in mods/teutonic/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 44801, column 12
    Trait not recognised
    20:41:02.364 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in mods/teutonic/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 44919, column 22
    Trait not recognised
    20:41:02.364 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in mods/teutonic/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 44943, column 22
    Trait not recognised
    20:41:12.110 [game.script] [always] Germanicu5 ReallyBadAI v5.7 Running. Please upload log and savegames when reporting battle CTDs for SS.
    20:41:22.924 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Priest_Preaching_No_Results_Wavering>
    : PopulationOwnReligion needs a character in a land region.

when testing <PopulationOwnReligion> condition
    20:41:22.924 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Priest_Preaching_No_Results_Strong>

20:41:22.924 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Priest_Preaching_No_Results_Wavering_Abroad>

20:41:22.924 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Priest_Preaching_No_Results_Strong_Abroad>

20:41:22.924 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Priest_Little_Supporters_Open>

20:41:22.925 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Priest_Little_Supporters_Dogmatic>

20:41:22.925 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Priest_Too_Many_Supporters_Dogmatic>

20:41:22.925 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Priest_Too_Many_Supporters_Open>

20:41:22.925 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Priest_Corrupt_Corrupt>

20:41:22.925 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Priest_Corrupt_Righteous>

20:41:22.925 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Priest_Righteous_Corrupt>

20:41:22.925 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Priest_Righteous_Righteous>

20:41:23.024 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    Quick update on the missing sounds issue (more specific to French and German version of the game): the good news is that only the 4 factions with new names (Zengids, Abbsids, Georgia and Serbia) don't have voices. The bad news is that some other sounds are missing such as on the menu screen for example
    May I ask there I can find the sound fix for the current version? I use the german version of the game, even I can also speak polish Its a bit annoying that some nations are completely mute since the steam version^^

Default Re: SSHIP - Bugs Reports & Technical Help

@Matt_The_Lord: which patch to 096 have you installed? It seems to me that it's that's the Serbia-TeutonicOrder (discussed previously in this thread and then fixed in the patches) is the culprit. The Priests' conditions are unlikely to result in CTD, but most importandly - the time lag is a big one 20:41:22.925 <> 20:41:23.024.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; February 22, 2020 at 05:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stevietheconquer View Post
    the sound on the menu screen can be founded in the descr_sound_music text;
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; FRONTEND ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

state MUSIC_FRONTEND
    event
    folder data/sounds/music
    frontend.mp3
    end

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Thank you, but it is not the music of the menu which is absent when we modify the descr_sound_accents; these are the sounds of the buttons when clicked on to make a choice.
    At the present time and after several tests, I actually manage to recover voices for the 10 factions which do not have one, but that causes the disappearance of the sounds of buttons (those of which I speak above)
    Other sounds also disappear, for example that of the launching of a battle ... In the end, the private game of these sounds loses so much in immersion that it cannot be a solution.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

May I suggest for the mods to use a set up like this to test their changes? And ALWAYS provide a full set of supporting TXT files together with regenerated IDX\DAT files, the latter if that set up is not used.

You are looking for changes in descr_sounds_interface.txt btw.....

CTD on End Turn

- Windows 10
    - Steam Version of game
    - No submod with SSHIP

2. Sicilian Diplomat (when fast unit tracking is enabled) travels to Byzantine City or Sicilian Ship makes a movement (when slow unit tracking is enabled). It's always been either of those two.

20:24:42.588 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 45319, column 12
    Trait not recognised
    20:24:42.588 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 45437, column 22
    Trait not recognised
    20:24:42.588 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 45461, column 22
    Trait not recognised
    20:27:00.960 [game.script] [always] Germanicu5 ReallyBadAI v5.7 Running. Please upload log and savegames when reporting battle CTDs for SS.
    20:28:09.993 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Additional comments:
    This looks like this is related to a Trait trigger somehow. In one of the posts I read about CTD's, it suggests that I delete all the triggers in the ancillaires.txt and traits.txt. I'm not sure how to do that at the moment and am working on it. There appears to be many triggers in both files and it would be tedious to go through the entire file.

Also, how do I go to the exact line in notepad to delete the trigger?

Thanks a bunch in advance.

system.log.zip

Forgot to send a log with the ai movement history.

Thank you.