Page 5 of 360 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314153055105 ... LastLast

Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

can we know if next release is going any soon ?

Quote Originally Posted by achilles-91 View Post
    LOL, all mod-forums should have a theme song playing in the background with those words, and "7" as the chorus

Quote Originally Posted by achilles-91 View Post
    We are working on it right now. Actually MWY has already made some considerable progress so now its Lifthrasir and my turn to contribute in the next few weeks hopefully we'll be much closer to releasable version.

Quote Originally Posted by MWY View Post
    According to wiki, poland conquered Szczecin and the area around it at around 1100.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wartislaw_I

Brandenburg was ruled by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pribislav-Henry, but he was atleast allied to the neighbouring hre.

So I'm not really sure about making those 2 regions rebels.
    I wanted to make at least Szczecin rebel and mostly pagan in earlier versions but historically Poland did control Szczecin in 1100 yet barely that town and some small areas- most of the region was not in Polish control. FP made the decision that since Szczecin was Polish and the city we used to represent that region it should be starting under Polish control but we planned to make rebel events and a couple small rebel armies present to represent the unsubdued pagan tribes still existing there in 1132.

Quote Originally Posted by Krebskandidat View Post
    I have a little question about the Mongols and Timur. The vanilla game contains the Mongols and the Timurids, but I can't finde any evidences about the Timurids in SS or SSHIP. Are these two factions now one = Mongols (but they fought each other) or do you just deleted the Timurids. I ask because the campaign ends in 1560 and Timurs invasion happend in ~1400.
    Timurids are not present in SSHIP. The faction slot freed up was used for addition of Georgia I believe or maybe it was Rum. Timur invasions that affect the areas in SSHIP actually started before 1400 and depending on how many free units slots remain in EDU after next release it might be possible to add some later era Mongol units and basically recreate Mongol invasion if Mongols no longer exist on map (unlikely) otherwise perhaps an event with Mongols giving some added armies but Timurids were the last great steppe invasions and due to faction limits we decided it is better use to add factions that are relevant before 1380s.
    Last edited by Ichon; July 17, 2014 at 11:45 PM.

Civis

Have the Mongols been doing any damage (ie: conquering Persia and the Cumans) in anyones' campaigns?

Quote Originally Posted by Sassanid Saxon View Post
    Have the Mongols been doing any damage (ie: conquering Persia and the Cumans) in anyones' campaigns?
    in my HRE campaign they took over half the map in 50 years (year 1280), and now it seems their momentum is waning, however if you are playing as the Seljuks, cumans, or russians, it might be close to impossible to survive the horde. At one moment they had over 50 armies.

Glad to hear the Mongols do something now. Last long campaign I played they appeared and all sat around having some sort of a massive military expo at the far east of the map. Never threatened anyone !

Quote Originally Posted by Sassanid Saxon View Post
    in my Georgia campaign, the Mongols had sacked the Seljuks in Persia, but leave the Cumans

when the Mongols appears, it only at war automatically with the Seljuks and the Cumans, that's different in previous version

Telémakhos's Avatar Libertus

First--love this mod. The campaign map is gorgeous, and I like the new regions a ton. Are the Byzantine units significantly more expensive than other factions'? Castrophylakes for 1500, with their not-great stats?

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

No, all units are more expensive compare to the original game to reflect their real cost at that time.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    No, all units are more expensive compare to the original game to reflect their real cost at that time.
    Can you change the unit size as well? For example double them... 150 Milita => 300 Milita? Because I like huge battles and I like your mod. Also it would be more realistic then and reflect the real dimension of such battles [Battle of Arsuf (1191) ~20.000 vs 25.000; Battle of Bouvines (1214) ~20.000 on each side; Battle of Legnica (1241) ~10.000 vs 8000; Battle on the Marchfeld (1278) ~30.000 on each side; Battle of Agincourt (1415) ~9.000 vs 20.000...]

Blog Entries

You can do it by yourself by 2 ways:

- The 1st one is to change the unit size in the game settings. You can set the unit size to "huge".

- The 2nd one is to change the unit size in the EDU. If you don't know how to do it, I recommend that you read this. If you still don't know how to, let me know.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    You can do it by yourself by 2 ways:

- The 1st one is to change the unit size in the game settings. You can set the unit size to "huge".

- The 2nd one is to change the unit size in the EDU. If you don't know how to do it, I recommend that you read this. If you still don't know how to, let me know.
    I already play with huge size and units have ~200, 150 or 60 soldiers
    Surely I can change the export_descr_unit.txt but then I have to do it all the time, when you release a new version of SSHIP and this is a lot of work to do, for every unit. Isn't it easier to encrease the unit multiplier. I found a multiplier mod here but I don't think he is compatible with yours.

Blog Entries

Well, the main problem is that I'm not sure that everybody wants to play with that amount of units. For instance, if your computer is not that powerul, then you will probably have a "jerky" game during battles. Unfortunately, we can't make a version for the tastes of each person.

Senator

Been playing a campaign as Venice for about 70 turns now, gonna post a few thoughts and issues/suggestions:

-The AI seems unreasonably aggressive. I had exhibited no aggression to anyone except for conquering the rebel cities of Verona and Bologna, and Pisa, Sicily and the HRE declared war on me in the space of a few turns. Since we're going for historical accuracy here, I doubt you would see powers "ganging up" on someone in such a manner in history.

-The Pope is, of course, a douche, and excommunicated me when I dared to attack Florence after holding off three Pisan sieges of Bologna. I know this has always been a problem in Medieval II so I dunno if you have the power to fix it.

-All the small, one province factions have been able to expand and continue their existence, which is great. Serbia expanded very rapidly, though they are now a protectorate of the ERE. The only one that was a bit disappointing was Georgia - they forged an alliance with the Cumans, but haven't expanded significantly, even leaving a rebel city right next to them unconquered, and were very quickly made into a client state of the Seljuks.

-The Crusader States survive! They lost Acre and Jerusalem, only to reclaim them. They also got Damascus in a Crusade - both Hungary and Poland captured it in separate Crusades, only for it to rebel a few turns later. This should perhaps be addressed - possibly through a "give settlement to the Crusader States" event? It also has the usual issue of a huge foreign army marching all the way to the Middle East, only for another to take the city and for it to turn and march all the way back. Some way to encourage them to stay and fight their war with the Arab powers would be great to see.

-The Sicilian Miles Pedites unit moves around in a bizarre way, with their shields not held as shields, but facing upwards... you'll have to see for yourself to see what I mean.

-What is up with the Mercenary Frankish Knights' helmets?? They look crazy!

-In general, AI warfare seems a bit off. I often see nations go to war and then ceasefire one or two turns later. They rarely have an army capable of taking a city.

-I did, however, love what the HRE did to me - with my armies invested in Pisa, they attacked Milan and, rather than conquer it, forced me into becoming a vassal. They then attacked Poland, as my alliance with the Poles would inevitably be broken. I thought that was really clever (if perhaps coincidental). But then they laid siege to Prague, and then ceasefire a turn later.

-Armies rebel too easily, and in the case of some factions, this has ruined them. Scotland lost Edinburgh, and the army sent to reclaim it rebelled - now they have hardly any troops. Norway and Denmark were at war, and a Norweigan army rebelled - now they have hardly any troops. It is pretty devastating to lose an army like that when it costs so much to build a new one.

-Pretty much everyone is next to broke all the time. No one seems to be able to break around 20000 in the treasury.

-Plagues are absolutely devastating. One killed 40,000 people in Venice alone! Population growth afterwards made up for it, and I accounted for it as people leaving then coming back. But still, pretty violent.

-Public order is still very difficult to maintain. Building public order buildings and recruiting garrisons costs a lot, especially with low taxes to increase order. You want to be focusing on economic buildings, but can't because of order. It's very tough, but a welcome challenge. I feel it should be less of a penalty if the culture is the same - so for Venice, southern European.

-Should the Cumans have the Middle Eastern voice? It feels weird to hear them refer to Sultans etc. I think the Russian culture is more suitable?

-Some factions do not have voices at all, and sometimes entering diplomacy will see not even any text.

-What is the factor that makes Order Knights recruitable? Sometimes they completely vanish from the production menu, not even just greyed out - they're completely gone. Are they only recruitable during Crusades?

Blog Entries

Some units have an animation issue and appear weird on the battlefield. I have to fix it when I can.

Same remark for missing voices.

For rebelling armies and public order, I think it's due to the capital distance factor. Unless I'm wrong, it should be adjusted in the next release.

For Order Knights, you need to have a good reputation with the Pope over wise, you can't recruit them.

For Cumans, I'm not sure if Russian culture would be better. I have to look at it.

Regarding Venice, I think what happened to you is quite realistic, considering that originally, North Italy was part of HRE and then that most of the Italian cities were at war against each over. It never last for long but was quite often anyway. Playing as Venice, I would make an alliance with Pisa or Sicily and then go to destroy the other one. Once you have a strong position in north or South of Italy, you can choose to expand wherever you want.

Senator

Is capital distance a factor in rebelling armies, or just general loyalty? I had an army rebel in Romagna province which is next door to the capital so.

Ah, I'm too determined to rule all Italy than ally with one of the other city states had the HRE not offered me vassalage though I would have likely been destroyed. Of course there is still weird diplomacy issues, Pisa refusing to accept a ceasefire when they have Cagliari and not much else. Speaking of which, it does kinda sadden me that there is no settlement on Corsica. The HRE has so many settlements and potential for expansion perhaps they should have one taken away for balancing issues? Otherwise they're totally dominant and this isn't really reflective of their fractured nature (though I understand representing each of the small states that made up the HRE is next to impossible).

I'm not quite sure what's causing the army rebellions. I've actually never EVER had one myself in SSHIP. That's why I lowered the overall loyalty of generals a bit with the last patch.

Diplomacy is not always based on the settlements they have left. With only one settlement, you should be able to vassal them though.

Hmm about the HRE.. they could have many more settlements, historically the HRE was full of small but growing towns/cities at that time. The weren't that dominant in europe at the time as in SSHIP (although the dominance is mostly overtaken by france pretty soon) because they had mostly internal conflicts/fight for power etc. We can't really reflect that in SSHIP (yet) sadly. But I think gameplay wise it's a good challenge for the player to actually have a faction they need to fear at the beginning.

If you get the system that you actually have to pay some countries to keep relations at a level so that they don't attack you, it's really not that hard. I personally think the AI works pretty well right now. The problem is, I wrote it, so obviously I understand how it works.

Basically, if you keep the relations with the hre reasonable, you got a pretty good chance of keeping the peace. But you also need to watch your (global) reputation. If it drops too low (sacking, exterminating, executing too much), you're basically a target for every faction. Being excommunicated obviously doesn't help either.

Cumans were turkic people, so having the middle eastern voice.. well it's not perfect but the eastern european wouldn't be that much better I think.

Order knights are recruitable when your (global) reputation is atleast somewhat around "mixed" and you're not excommunicated.

Senator

I see, thanks for clearing those things up a lot of what you say does make sense. However, the way the global relations system works is sooooo flawed (not your fault, it's Medieval II's). Trieste rebels from HRE, I get a mission to take it (the rebels are even Venetian rebels) and laying siege leads to about 5 relations with different factions dropping to 'poor'. Sicily lays siege, I beat their army - relations with about 8 factions drop to 'poor'. Allied with Hungary, relations drop to 'poor' for seemingly no reason. I'm constantly roaming around with diplomats, giving out map information etc to try and boost relations, to little avail.

Paying other factions is all well and good, had I any income to spare I had a bank of about 6000 and was richest faction...

More instances of rebellion (I toggle_fow every now and then to see how other factions are doing):

-Sicilian army attacks Ancona, turns rebel within a turn.
    -Dyrrachium rebels, ERE army sent to reclaim it turns rebel as soon as it enters the province.
    -Fes and Marrakech both rebel, Moorish armies rebel as soon as they enter provinces - so troops from Algeria etc can't get into Iberia.
    -Novgorod armies consistently turning rebel as they go from Turku into mainland Russia, leaving Novgorod to be dominated by the Rus and Lithuania.

I think spawning more rebels is better than this, though if you haven't had the same issues then it could just be a bug...

About the western overhaul of units that u implemented. I personally dislike it affecting the scandinavian factions, cause it feels very out of place for that being the 12th century compared too other units who looks more vikingly. But maybe this is a matter of taste or maybe u got other plans for this in next patch but I think u should keep the units rosters that u had before.