Page 35 of 360 FirstFirst ... 102526272829303132333435363738394041424344456085135 ... LastLast

Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

jurcek1987's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Anything you can do to make this great game even better is greatly appreciated

I was looking at export_descr_character_traits and I found those Roman military traits but they're very hard to get, I've never seen a rank higher than Tourmarches and I've never got the Domesticos ton Scholon of the east or west ancillary in any of my games.

A couple more things I gathered from my Roman campaigns:

Mourtatoi are one of the best archer units in the game and they're very easy to mass produce because they're cheap and can be trained from a level 2 range. Maybe reduce their recruitment pool and make them recruitable from a level 3 range. Also their AOR is weird, they cannot be recruited in central Anatolia, but they can be in Heskif and even Tabriz.

Scoutatoi spearmen no longer have the shield wall ability. Is this a mistake because the Scoutatoi swordsmen and Castrophilakae still have it.

In my experience the Serbs are usually one of the first factions to die sometimes by the hands of the Hungarians or more often by the Romans which is historical I guess but maybe you can turn Ras into a fortress to improve their survivability.

Also the Romans no longer start with their elite Tagmatic units in Constantinople. I guess this was done for balancing purposes, but I don't think they made the Romans overpowered because their upkeep is enormous. Two units of Scholarii cost nearly 5000 per turn. I would also greatly reduce their recruitment pool, even though you have to wait a long time before they become available, but when they do you can just mass produce them (providing you have the economy to sustain them, which you usually do by that time). 1 unit every 10 turns (same as Varangians) is not unreasonable imo.

Also I've never seen a jihad declared against Constantinople whereas in SS it was usually the second target after Jerusalem. I think it would add a much needed challenge to the Roman player. And the Bulgarian uprising should be much more difficult to put down, currently it's nothing more than a minor inconvenience.

And another thing which is probably not high on your list because the CBUR roster is great as it is, but are there any plans to improve the Roman roster like adding some Broken Crescent units like Kontratatoi pikemen or Vestiaritai heavy swordsmen or maybe some units from Chivalry 1, a RTW mod which from what I read has the most accurate representation of the Roman army of that time?

Sorry for the long post, keep up the great work!

Good idea jurcek!!! I agree with you in all the text,the members of SSHIP shoud look this opinion about roman faction,and also add news units for rus faction, for example add units of the baltic mod

Fernandesz's Avatar Foederatus

Hi friends, how can I reduce the riots in major cities?
    It's really bothering me

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Fernandesz View Post
    Hi friends, how can I reduce the riots in major cities?
    It's really bothering me
    You can go to the settlement txt file in data and change parameters like distance to capital/unrest etc

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin View Post
    You can go to the settlement txt file in data and change parameters like distance to capital/unrest etc
    Thanks! But, can you help me do this? Or a solution in game, for example when I conquer a city I usually exterminate the population but the growth boom ends after a while and just the city revolts.Sorry for my bad english

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Fernandesz View Post
    Thanks! But, can you help me do this? Or a solution in game, for example when I conquer a city I usually exterminate the population but the growth boom ends after a while and just the city revolts.Sorry for my bad english
    Go to your installation folder.

For me, this is E:steam>steamapps>common>medievalII>mods>SS6.3

Then go to data. Scroll down to descr_settlement_mechanics.

Open this with notepad. You should see a bunch of parameters for distance to capital, squalor, unrest, health etc.

Play around with these numbers. You could set a low maximum value, so that unrest/squalor can never go beyond a certain point. Or you can make health give a bigger bonus to public order, etc. There's no one way to do it. Just play around with them until you're happy. You'll see results immediately when you load a campaign.

Question to the leaders of the project:
    Except animation, on how many percent completed other parts of new version?

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin View Post
    Go to your installation folder.

For me, this is E:steam>steamapps>common>medievalII>mods>SS6.3

Then go to data. Scroll down to descr_settlement_mechanics.

Open this with notepad. You should see a bunch of parameters for distance to capital, squalor, unrest, health etc.

Play around with these numbers. You could set a low maximum value, so that unrest/squalor can never go beyond a certain point. Or you can make health give a bigger bonus to public order, etc. There's no one way to do it. Just play around with them until you're happy. You'll see results immediately when you load a campaign.
    Thank you Larkin

Lord Minotaur's Avatar Biarchus

Icon8 Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

epic map is epic, definitely not mad bruh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kingdoms 2015-04-13 22-34-39-40.jpg   kingdoms 2015-04-13 22-33-57-30.jpg   kingdoms 2015-04-13 22-33-55-15.jpg  
    Last edited by Lord Minotaur; April 13, 2015 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Minotaur View Post
    the road to the bridge is just spetacular
    but i don't know what's the problem, don't your troops like skiing ?

Senator

Paha, where on the map was this?

Elianus's Avatar Ordinarius

Archers are TOO effective IMHO. I get that longbows were pretty lethal but Knights armed in the best plate and carrying shields should not suffer so many casualties, especially from long range. I believe that bows should not be so effective against armored targets but still decimate lightly armored troops.
    Last edited by Elianus; April 14, 2015 at 06:26 AM.
    ''Πας μη Έλλην, βάρβαρος.''

lol
    i always encountered map like this when i had a fight in slope between a highland
    Quote Originally Posted by anonimo272 View Post
    the road to the bridge is just spetacular
    but i don't know what's the problem, don't your troops like skiing ?
    skiing with horse and heavy armor, they'll have a bad time
    Quote Originally Posted by Elianus View Post
    Archers are TOO effective IMHO. I get that longbows were pretty lethal but Knights armed in the best plate and carrying shields should not suffer so many casualties, especially from long range. I believe that bows should not be so effective against armored targets but still decimate lightly armored troops.
    yes, archers are pretty annoying when attacking a settlement, but very effective when defending
    to penetrate an armored units, just use crossbow or handgun

Did this mod change longbows back to AP or something?

Lord Minotaur's Avatar Biarchus

It happened near Freiburg, between the castle and the bridge.

FYI the map was no fun. Mine and the enemies armies were unable to move since there were no movement points. When my archers ran out of ammo I just left the game and got a defeat.

FIX DIS DAMNĄĄ!!!!111ĄĄĄ!!!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kingdoms 2015-04-15 17-00-07-24.jpg  

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

My guess is that this is due to the map heigh. May be by lowering it around that bridge would fix the issue

Regarding Longbowmen, they still have the AP (Armor Piercing) attribute for now.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    Regarding Longbowmen, they still have the AP (Armor Piercing) attribute for now.
    Surely this is a mistake that'll be fixed in the next version?

Yeah the debate has been argued to death, so I won't post articles since I'm sure the author has already read them, but a mod striving toward historical accuracy shouldn't let its game mechanics be twisted by western/english bias. Tests by bow enthusiasts claiming their bows are armor-piercing because they can pierce a flat sheet of inferior metal using arrowheads stronger then those historically used, and frequent citations of the battle of Agincourt being a battle won solely by the longbow despite far more significant tactical events which helped lead to this victory. It goes without saying that this side of the argument falls silent at the battle of verneuil, and the battle of patay. Similarly despite the longbow, the English didn't win the war these battles took place in.

But setting that debate aside. To justify a longbow being armor-piercing would be to claim that the longbow is a far superior weapon to the composite bow, which it is not. Eastern Composite bows were very powerful weapons, and those who used them won countless victories against armored units yet there is little claim that these were armor-piercing. They just again made use of the terrain, made sound tactical decisions, and wore the enemy down in spite of their poor armor-piercing capability rather then as a result of it. Sure the horse version is weaker, but the footmen were using advanced bows with a similar draw-weight. Using the same arguments for a longbow being armor-piercing, the turks defeated the Byzantines using composite bows as their main weapon, while the byzantine army was rather well-armored. Surely this victory means horse archers used armor-piercing bows.

Then the anecdotal evidence, the longbow was not a technology beyond the reach of other western factions, and armor advances continued to be made well after longbows entered the battlefield. Only when true armor-piercing ranged weapons came into the picture did armor decline. Surely if longbows were effective against armor we would see a decline in its use much earlier. Then, if longbows were an effective answer to armor, why would guns have even been invented? Early guns were terrible and temperamental weapons with a host of disadvantages compared to bows. If wooden bows could pierce armor, why was there this hasty race to develop better gunpowder weapons in the first place?

Finally, with game mechanics, even without armor-piercing, bows kill armored enemies quite well. If an enemy is pinned with bows firing into their flanks they will drop quite fast, faster then the bows could legitimately manage given the vast amount of armor some of these units are equipped with. I keep even my scholarii out of range of horse archers because even mounted bows in the game can drop a decent number of these elite horsemen if they are allowed to get away with it. The game mechanics already favor the bow in that they can't really show off that some units are just short of completely immune to certain bows, well aside for the moral issues that is.

The longbowmen dont have the AP attribute for their bow. Only their secondary weapon (a mace) has this attribute.

@this arrows discussion: What about crossbowmen? Should they have the AP attribute?

You sure? I mean the head honcho just said longbows are AP. I feel awful obliged to take his word for it

I like point blank's original design. Crossbows are not armor piercing, they just have a higher attack value. With it they remain deadly effective vs. armor, whilst still facilitating the need for stronger and stronger ranged weapons as armor advances.

I really wouldn't award armor piercing to many things. The only weapons truly deserving it are those which deal damage regardless of armor being present. In that, its not really armor-piercing, as much as its armor-bypassing. These should almost exclusively be concussive weapons. Its kind of backwards since the weapons most deserving of the attribute absolutely do not pierce armor.