Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    This is from withwnar with regards to ++ and this issue (after adding a space to every end of line):

"To clean up ones that now have multiple spaces on the end of the line, use "regular expression" mode:
    Find what: "\s+\r\n"
    Replace with: " \r\n"
    Again, no quotes and a space in the second one.
    This finds lines that have one or more spaces or tabs in any combination at the end of the line and replaces them with one space. "

The \r thingy is needed as otherwise you end up with 'UNIX (LF)' EOL formatting, like I did in my first own try, that really messes things up but luckily is easily fixed.
    I'm digging up an old post but to keep track of things: I'm working on sship 098 with bovi's checker, and using \s+\r\n as the "find" regexp does not fix missing trailing spaces, only when there is too much trailing spaces.
    Correct expression is: \s*\r\n (you just have to manually enter the last line's trailing space)
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats

A King can only be crowned in the region with the sword on the map, right? So for Scotland it would be Edinburgh? Or can he be crowned in another 'home' region, or region where the faction has rights? London would be nice to use.

If it has to be the capitol it will be a long long time before I can do it, since it requires a Cathedral. On turn 35 Edinburgh is still a large town. I guess I should get my prince to 10 Chivalry and send him back to try and grow the place. It would still take decades.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

I think it's better to leave Edinburgh for Scotland. Scotland was Scotland.

Yes, for Scotland it should take decades or longer. It should also be difficult to conquer enough settlements within 35 turns. Concerning the size of the settlement, you're right: Chivalry 10 plus good maybe a good trait plus an ancillary may well speed up the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    I think it's better to leave Edinburgh for Scotland. Scotland was Scotland.

Yes, for Scotland it should take decades or longer. It should also be difficult to conquer enough settlements within 35 turns. Concerning the size of the settlement, you're right: Chivalry 10 plus good maybe a good trait plus an ancillary may well speed up the process.
    Well, maybe I've just too good at Medieval 2 because I've played for too long . I have all of Britain, almost all of France on turn 35. Southern Spain I will give to my vassal France, and try to get that last French region, I think Claremont. Maybe the public order will become problematic soon and I'll have to slow down.

Another thing is, when I play I take it slow and think carefully in order to make the best moves possible. A turn always is several minutes even with no battles.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Steward Denethor II; February 15, 2021 at 05:00 PM.

Maybe it would be good to make some Norwegian army appear in the northern Scotland, otherwise the AI would almost never send an army there, too far.. That would introduce some Scotland vs Norway conflict and weaken Scotland a little?

Do you guys appreciate the positioning of the initial NO merchant in Scotland? I had that NO presence in mind.

Spawning an army would be tricky given that the AI may not handle it in a right way:
    - Norway is weak and a distraction of money in Scotland would make it even weaker against Denmark - and actually it's a common development that Norway falls prey of it's better armoured neighbour,
    - for Scotland, a sudden appearance of an army in the North while the Scottish are in the south would also risk breaking spine - the AI doesn't react swiftly.

All in all, while the player is encouraged to expand from Norway to Scotland, I wouldn't go for artificial solutions for the AI.

Quote Originally Posted by Macaras View Post
    Maybe it would be good to make some Norwegian army appear in the northern Scotland, otherwise the AI would almost never send an army there, too far.. That would introduce some Scotland vs Norway conflict and weaken Scotland a little?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Do you guys appreciate the positioning of the initial NO merchant in Scotland? I had that NO presence in mind.

Spawning an army would be tricky given that the AI may not handle it in a right way:
    - Norway is weak and a distraction of money in Scotland would make it even weaker against Denmark - and actually it's a common development that Norway falls prey of it's better armoured neighbour,
    - for Scotland, a sudden appearance of an army in the North while the Scottish are in the south would also risk breaking spine - the AI doesn't react swiftly.

All in all, while the player is encouraged to expand from Norway to Scotland, I wouldn't go for artificial solutions for the AI.
    For Norway maybe we could tweak it's behaviour using the AI personalities and label? We could give it the catholic_maritime label, and/or move "sailor" up the list of personnalities.

@Jurand: what is NO ? I'm guessing it's a faction but I can't find it

NOrway?

Ah yes, sorry! It's a nice touch I think.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Something that may improve performance - 'affinity'. The command gives processing priority to the executable on a set processor. It gets embedded into the BAT file, example from my Bare Geomod:
    Code:
    @echo off
    title Gig's Universal Batch file
    cd ..\..
    IF EXIST kingdoms.exe (start /affinity 1 /high kingdoms.exe @%0\..\Configuration.cfg) ELSE (
    IF EXIST medieval2.exe (start /affinity 1 /high medieval2.exe @%0\..\Configuration.cfg) ELSE (
        echo.
        echo ERROR: Cannot find the M2TW or Kingdoms executable.
        echo You probably installed Bare Geomod into the wrong folder.
        echo.
        pause
      )
    )

Yes, I did made one launcher based on what you showed us a while ago and using affinity setting. Here it is for those interested!

Quote Originally Posted by Belovèse View Post
    Yes, I did made one launcher based on what you showed us a while ago and using affinity setting. Here it is for those interested!
    Will be included in the v. 098.

I'll have to look into it, but there is already so much things in the to-do list!

Lol check this teenager out

https://postimg.cc/Yjsj7ZQW

Quote Originally Posted by Waluk View Post
    Lol check this teenager out
    https://postimg.cc/Yjsj7ZQW
    The next turn the Teenager trait will disappear.

This is a problem of coding: the Trait of the potential spouse offered are defined before that offering but there's no way (afaik) to check his age before offering. So there're triggers checking age afterwards and taking the trait once adopted. It is possible to code it in the way it won't appear but I had no time. There're 1000 other issues that are possible to code and I simply have to prioritise.

Similarly, I've never had time to make a proper review of the traits gained after a crusade/jihad. They work somehow and they are not easy to gain: a general needs to get at least to the target province so a cheesy tactics of joining a crusade at the last moment before the target is taken (you can always see it) is not possible. At some point I may come back to modding them, along the potential additional costs (I like the idea of scaling with the size of a settlement).
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; February 18, 2021 at 08:42 AM.

Hello!
    What is the last year in this submod?
    (I'm hungarian. My english is not so good. Sorry.)

1560. About the same as regular Stainless Steel, although it is twice as many turns. I bet almost no one plays a campaign that long.

Quote Originally Posted by Steward Denethor II View Post
    1560. About the same as regular Stainless Steel, although it is twice as many turns. I bet almost no one plays a campaign that long.
    Thanks the answer!
    A late era campaign would be good in SSHIP.
    (I'm hungarian. My english is not so good. Sorry.)

Quote Originally Posted by szikelkun View Post
    A late era campaign would be good in SSHIP.
    There's one such minimod for v. 092 - you may find it here.
    Ichon had once a plan for a 1390 mod/option or SS, but he's never pulled it off. It awaits an ambitious modder ;-)

Senator

Aren't the byzantine infantry units like the skoutatoi and the Castrophilakae are bit too heavily armored for the time period?Most sources I found mention that the later byzantine army usually employed lighter infantry with heavy armor usually being reserved for cavalry and officers.Skoutatoi also seem to have been very uncommon and are almost never mentioned in later 12th century sources some of the untis int he current roster seem to be more appropriate for a 8th or 9th century byzantine army.
    Elder Scrolls Online :Messing up the Lore since 2007...

Well overhand or underhand: 3:50 Onwards...