Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Alzender View Post
    Is it intended that Mailed Knights for the HRE costs 0 ? (there's only upkeep on these units but no recruitment cost).

EDIT: I just checked the export_descr_unit file and it's indeed 0 (I guess for every nation then)

stat_cost 1, 0, 942, 120, 942, 942, 1, 170

Is it something related to the AI and I shoud leave it like this? Or Do I need to correct this? What would be the balanced price then?
    It's intended: all feodal units are free to recruit, to represent the nobles that are called upon arms by the leader. Their upkeep is pretty high though, and the recruitment pool takes time to replenish.
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats

Alzender's Avatar Libertus

Makes sense !

Thanks for your answer

Quote Originally Posted by Alzender View Post
    Makes sense !

Thanks for your answer
    You're welcome! We are working on the unit description currently, most of them are from SS6.4 and do not correspond to SSHIP. If you want to see more infos on units you could use my minimod, it is a work in progress so not very pretty yet, but it will display the correct class of the unit (feudal, free professional, etc, Jurand has put a whole system in place!)

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

@Alzender: have a look at this post. Maybe you'd have comments, then write a post there.

Imho the ministerial offices system is a great concept, but it is kinda ruined by the fact that is connected to the ancillaries mechanism. So you get the annoying task of making your faction leader travel to the right city, make sure a turn has passed, and then he has to reach the selected general. In game terms this could last more than three years if we are talking about big empires. And it could be even more annoying during ongoing wars.

Wouldn't it be easier for generals to get a ministerial office without involving the physical movement of the faction leader? Something like: if general X is in a city with baron stables, and he is not the faction leader, and he is military minded, he will have every turn N% to get the master of horse (or whatever it is called) office.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser29 View Post
    Imho the ministerial offices system is a great concept, but it is kinda ruined by the fact that is connected to the ancillaries mechanism. So you get the annoying task of making your faction leader travel to the right city, make sure a turn has passed, and then he has to reach the selected general. In game terms this could last more than three years if we are talking about big empires. And it could be even more annoying during ongoing wars.

Wouldn't it be easier for generals to get a ministerial office without involving the physical movement of the faction leader? Something like: if general X is in a city with baron stables, and he is not the faction leader, and he is military minded, he will have every turn N% to get the master of horse (or whatever it is called) office.
    Actually, it's intended. It's a compromise between a notion of the need for the Faction Leader to be in the capital (or rather the center of his realm, there're no capitals in the MA). This concept may be implemented with negative effects if the FL is too long out of the capital (this is the way EBII dealt with the Ptolemaioi ruler - the faction get's into trouble, iirc), or with positive incentives. The latter is my way: you will get your Ministerial Office if you're in a right city.

However, I think you may be mixing Ministerial offices (a few in the game) and Provincial titles (one for each settlment). In the latter it's not the FL who should go to the right city, but a general himself can get the title. It's enough that that general doesn't have any other Provincial title.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Actually, it's intended. It's a compromise between a notion of the need for the Faction Leader to be in the capital (or rather the center of his realm, there're no capitals in the MA). This concept may be implemented with negative effects if the FL is too long out of the capital (this is the way EBII dealt with the Ptolemaioi ruler - the faction get's into trouble, iirc), or with positive incentives. The latter is my way: you will get your Ministerial Office if you're in a right city.

However, I think you may be mixing Ministerial offices (a few in the game) and Provincial titles (one for each settlment). In the latter it's not the FL who should go to the right city, but a general himself can get the title. It's enough that that general doesn't have any other Provincial title.
    Doesn't a faction leader get negative traits by staying idle all the time in one city without participating in battles?

Doesn't a faction leader get negative traits by staying idle all the time in one city without participating in battles?
    Actually, I haven't dealt with all the FL traits so it may be the case. Once I have time and mood to come back to modding the traits (I think I was doing it in June last time), I'd spend more time on the FL and I would chase such cases. As a rule, there should not be negative traits (maybe with exceptions, I don't know yet) but there should be positive ones that would provide incetives do to something historical. Have a look also here.

I think that makes a lot of sense Jurand. I mean, obviously there are plenty of cases where kings and emperors went off on military expeditions (and there are certainly reasons why a king might not want to be too out of the military conquests), but more often than not, being far from home for extended periods is far more dangerous than good. It might be a good thing for the king himself to lead a crusade to capture Jerusalem (shows courage, piety, whatever), but there is a huge chance he comes home to a land that is now dominated by lesser lords who are less than pleased to see their ruler return. I like the idea of incentivizing keeping the ruler at home!
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

i like the idea too. but we have to make sure that there aren't too many negative sides for leaving your FL in the capital. if i remember correctly, in 0.92 (or was it 0.96? maybe both) it was very easy for idle generals to get negative traits

sorry for the noob question, but in export_descr_unit what do these numbers mean?

armour_ug_levels 16, 21, 23, 26

16 the armor the unit starts with, 21, 23, 26 are the upgrades, the unit can be upgraded 3 times that's all

here, https://www.stainless-steel-mod.com/RR_RC_Guide_2.html

scroll down til you reach the master armor table, see each number and what armor it represents

That's awesome, didn't have any idea how this worked, lol.

In custom battle every armor upgrade adds just +1 to defense, so does it work the same in the campaign?

Quote Originally Posted by Dekhatres View Post
    16 the armor the unit starts with, 21, 23, 26 are the upgrades, the unit can be upgraded 3 times that's all

here, https://www.stainless-steel-mod.com/RR_RC_Guide_2.html

scroll down til you reach the master armor table, see each number and what armor it represents
    Nice, I didn't know either, I'll use it for my detailed stat mini-mod!

In custom battle every armor upgrade adds just +1 to defense, so does it work the same in the campaign?
    As far as I know yes.

it is possible to restrict upgrades in custom battles, i had this issue once, i was pulling my hair out trying to find why my upgrades wont work, it turned out it had to do with price cost of the upgrade or something, iirc you need to look at stat_cost line, check a EDU guide it should give you more info than i can right now

armor upgrades give +2 armor btw, even if it displays 1

Quote Originally Posted by Dekhatres View Post
    armor upgrades give +2 armor btw, even if it displays 1
    I thought it was +4, wasn't it?

not afaik, the only other number i've seen ppl say is 2.5

would be nice if it was 4 tho

Hi there,

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how to give ancillaries?

I'm playing as England, I have a character in Rouen (big settlement in northern france) who has the title Prince of Wales for the settlement Kaerenarvon, a small castle relatively in the middle of nowhere. No character holds a title for Rouen. How do I strip my character of the prince of wales titles and let him acquire the Rouen title? My faction leader is 73 yo totally senile so is it possible? Even if not currently possible where in the menu do you do these things? I tried right clicking the title and looking everywhere and I can't find it.

any help is appreciated, thank you!

click-hold on the ancillary on the FL, hold and move the cursor on the general, drop

This is not advisable though since he'd get first the Stripped of Titles trait, and only then acquire the new title.

I don't remember but maybe there's more info in this thread.

{INFO_PROVINCIAL_TITLES_BODY}Some of your generals have recently gained ancillaries called "Provincial Titles" (Duke of ..., Amir of ..., Dux of... etc.). These marks of office provide your men with specific benefits. It is wise to make sure each governor possesses the title that fits the role you have for him. \n_______________________________________________ \n\nA provincial title reflects that your faction leader has entrusted a noble with the management of some particular province. Your noble will gain benefits from certain rights directly related to that title, from a heightened perception in the eyes of his peers, from access to people engaged in the management of the province (additional ancillaries), and from the land holdings and other money-providing entities in this province. \n\nThere is always one title per province, and it is gained when a general ends his move in the settlement of a province and does not yet have any other Provincial Title. Note also that since there is only one title per province, a general can only gain a certain province's title if that is not yet possessed by any other general. Provincial Titles are transferable from one general to another (via the manual swapping of ancillaries). In general, each general should have at most only one Provincial Title, as having more of them would represent a wasted opportunity for those other generals who do not have any title (the SSHIP team suggests that all players strictly enforce a "house rule" of one Provincial Title per general). \n\nIf a general loses his Provincial Title (i.e. he has one, the player transfers it to another general, and does not replace the transferred Title with another one in the same turn), then the general will receive the "Stripped of Title" trait, resulting in -2 Loyalty and lasting for 5 years. If that general later acquires a new Provincial Title and again has it stripped from him, then the penalty is much harsher and lasts till the death of that general.
    {INFO_PROVINCIAL_TITLES_TITLE}Provincial Titles

What does FL mean? I see I can click drag the title. Does the other general have to be in the same settlement? Do I click- drag it onto the new general's card under "Army"? It's not possible to get rid of the title without transferring it? Thank you for your reply sir