Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Nemesis2345's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by SteamedTang View Post
    Hello,
    I've just joined the forum but I've been playing for quite some time. I really enjoy the mod and have spent many hours playing it. I've currently got version 0.9.6 and my generals seem to get annoying traits way too frequently. Particularly Deranged, Hypochondriac... etc. Is there a way I can avoid having my generals receive these traits?
    Hello and welcome , glad you enjoy the mod. The traits are indeed bugged but they were fixed in the upcoming 0.9.7 by Jurand of Cracow and the version should release very soon from what i heard. Stay tuned and thanks again for the kind words!

Guys, I am not sure of this is the right topic to ask these questions so feel free to move my post if not.

First of all, great mod, been playing for a while now and since I used to play Byg's a lot back in the days, due to similarities and difficulty I enjoy it a lot. Really shows that a lot of love went into this.

Now what always bugged me about the title is the relations/reputation mechanics of the game. Sacking a backwater city or executing/ransoming prisoners by a regular warlord/general results in a global relations/rep hit even if said city and army belongs to a different faith. It simply shouldn't be the case. I know that global standing penalty is fairly easy to mod out for these events and I just did so, leaving them in place only for the actions of the FL.

However any values for reputation hit for said actions I did not find. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

The other diplomatic penalty that is somewhat uncalled for is being at war with a faction. As we are aware war also gives a global hit every turn and to mitigate it we need alliances.
    I get it that the AI needs a reason to go to war with the player but why would say Hungary or the Seljuks care if England or France is at war with each other?

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

I was a big fan of BGR and I think we're taking the best of this submod into SSHIP.

Yeah, you're right that the reputation is not calibrated in the best way... Unfortunately, we were able recently to implement only one change in the system:

{INFO_SPHERES_OF_INFLUENCE_TITLE}Spheres of influence
    {INFO_SPHERES_OF_INFLUENCE_BODY}Taking an enemy settlement makes usually your rivals angry - and you losing reputation. However, there are certain provinces that are perceived to be "yours" by default. Conquering such provinces (or more often: recapturing) is seen as legitimate and you won't lose reputation. These provinces are highlighted with darker colour in the map in the faction panel. Bear in mind that there may be some special settlements that conqests spark ire of particular interested faction, irrespective from the sphere of influence mechanism.
    Lifth has made nice maps for the player to get which provinces are covered.

However, the rest of the system is as it was in 092 and we are aware of its deficiencies...

{INFO_TECHNICAL_NOT_FINISHED_BODY} This version of the SSHIP (0.9.7) is quite fleshed out and (hopefully) contains very few bugs prompting CTDs. Your experience from playing should be better than the versions 0.9.6 or 0.9.2. However, there are some areas that could be improved:\n* some factions may be very weak financially at the beginning of the game and playing them may be frustrating at higher difficulties.\n* some stats of the units need further balancing.\n* the descriptions of many units may be out of step with the current characteristics (they're mostly from SS6.4).\n* some traits do need more work to function in a perfect way.\n* the interplay between generals' loyalty and the FL authority needs to be balanced so that it leads to desertion and usurpation (for now it's quite forgiving for the player).\n* the civil strife and the civil war systems work in an imperfect way (eg. the usurper trait may linger on the character very long).\n* the reputation of the faction is likely to drop fast (even though it should be better now as the system has been improved - you'll learn about spheres of influence in a pop-out window).\n* the Papal State faction is very aggressive and is actively conquering territories around, what is unhistorical.\n* the antipope trait appears often on cardinals (you should not bother for it does not have much impact on the gameplay).\n* many Provincial Titles (and other ancillaries) still need to be reviewed and adjusted.

Just popping in here to say to thank the team for their dedication and continued efforts on SSHIP. Despite any small nitpicks I might have, this is probably the best medieval 2 experience you can get. Really excited for the release of 0.9.7 and further improvements

Thank you for the welcome. I am looking forward to spending many hours playing this mod. The intricacies of it make it possible to replay it again and again.

Conquering cities and castles is not much of a problem for me and it's handled fairly well as far as I see it. I am more annoyed with sacking and ransoming/executing prisoners and how the player global standing takes a hit every time making diplomacy hard after a while.

It is fairly well understood and described in one of the files(events.descr I think)so I can commented them out but it requires a new game to take effect.

I could not however find any entries about reputation as it might be hard coded?

I don't think reputation is hardcoded. I'm pretty sure you may tweak it a lot. But the most difficult thing is to foresee various situations that may emerge in the game.

We hope to provide much historical replayability with 097 :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Greyfoot View Post
    I could not however find any entries about reputation as it might be hard coded?
    i believe reputation is handled by descr_faction_standing.txt

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

descr_faction_standing only handles relations between factions, not the global reputation. The latter will be hard coded.

Hi, wondering if the next update will fix mines cancelling randomly when building them?

hey

1- Had this mission from the assassins' guild, which penalty for failing was the possibility of getting someone from my faction killed.
    I failed it and nothing happened. Lucky I guess.
    Anyone ever got it ? and can confirm the possible punishment is working?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

2 - As france, the Santiago order building (tier 1) is unfinished (same for the units).
    Btw are you supposed to be able to build it with any other faction than spain?

3- As france, I can recruit Longbowmen in continental france. (like in Toulouse)
    Is it intended? I think it should either be limited to Great Britain or be faction specific.

4- Rebels barely ever attack (or actually, never ever). I had big rebel armies sitting near my emptysh cities and not attacking. They dont attack my passing armies either, even if small.
    Now, I dont know if you can do anything about it.
    But maybe to make them relevant, we could increase the devastation malus? or public order malus from the presence of rebels? It would force the player to go after them and not just ignore them past early game

Btw can you link rebel spawning to your king's authority?

2 more bugged units:

persian spearmen
    turkoman cavalry

Quote Originally Posted by lequintal69 View Post
    hey

1- Had this mission from the assassins' guild, which penalty for failing was the possibility of getting someone from my faction killed.
    I failed it and nothing happened. Lucky I guess.
    Anyone ever got it ? and can confirm the possible punishment is working?

2 - As france, the Santiago order building (tier 1) is unfinished (same for the units).
    Btw are you supposed to be able to build it with any other faction than spain?

3- As france, I can recruit Longbowmen in continental france. (like in Toulouse)
    Is it intended? I think it should either be limited to Great Britain or be faction specific.

4- Rebels barely ever attack (or actually, never ever). I had big rebel armies sitting near my emptysh cities and not attacking. They dont attack my passing armies either, even if small.
    Now, I dont know if you can do anything about it.
    But maybe to make them relevant, we could increase the devastation malus? or public order malus from the presence of rebels? It would force the player to go after them and not just ignore them past early game

Btw can you link rebel spawning to your king's authority?

1. I never got that punishment thing , like EVER, even in vanilla TW.
    2. I think Santiago picture is fixed in 0.9.7. Also yeah , you cant build it , but you can capture it in a Settlement owned by the previous factions.
    3. Those longbowmen are Mercenary companies , they differ form the Longbowmen the english can recruit iirc. Those longbows will desert if you run out of money , England's wont.
    4. Rebels actually attack some of my settlements , especially unguarded ones. Lategame i suppose the game detects your armies or your power and just camps. Also , is realistic, Rebel camps would usually feed from the countryside ( and create malus and devastation) but would rarely or never actually attack the faction's Armies or whatever.
    4.1 Idk if it can be linked with King's authority , would be cool tho.
    5. Thanks for the persian spearmen icon , i will deal with it eventually.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Quickly, from the Moddb page:
    bro can you make some good swordsman units for Muslim faction
    Google.com
    Just to let you know
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Guys, there's AAR of a SSHIP 092 campaign still being written by Alavaria, you may read it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Guys, there's AAR of a SSHIP 092 campaign still being written by Alavaria, you may read it here.
    He's still writing that?! I thought he had already roflstomped his way across the entire map! Well, I might have to see how his stuff is progressing then.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    He's still writing that?! I thought he had already roflstomped his way across the entire map! Well, I might have to see how his stuff is progressing then.
    The actual campaign finished some time ago. The (after) action report is basically just gonna speed though now to the part where the Mongols show up.

It's all heavy spearmen, genoese (pavise) crossbowmen and knights to the end.
    Last edited by Alavaria; August 25, 2020 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alavaria View Post
    The actual campaign finished some time ago. The (after) action report is basically just gonna speed though now to the part where the Mongols show up.

It's all heavy spearmen, genoese (pavise) crossbowmen and knights to the end.
    I wish to see that you do another new campaign but with the new versions of 0.9.7 and 0.9.8 (new units and kostic mod), but this time with another faction such as the Eastern Romans, Cumans, the Reconquest with Castilians or on the Muslim side with the Moors or Seljuks.
    Surely for the following versions of sship it will not be so easy for you to conquer the entire map hehehe
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

SSHIP 0.9.2 .....now thats a name i havent heard in a long while.... - Gandalf

Quote Originally Posted by j.a.luna View Post
    I wish to see that you do another new campaign but with the new versions of 0.9.7 and 0.9.8 (new units and kostic mod), but this time with another faction such as the Eastern Romans, Cumans, the Reconquest with Castilians or on the Muslim side with the Moors or Seljuks.
    Surely for the following versions of sship it will not be so easy for you to conquer the entire map hehehe
    Hmm, I've switch computers some time ago so yeah it would mean installing everything again but more interestingly...

The current version is 0.9.6 ? There's already two more updates?