Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

@Dekhartes

Any Mod, really. Most are quite liberal with their units. Especially the western Factions desperately need a rework - Though I am more of a fan of Regional Units, not Faction based ones.

I mean, open up a game, pick Lithuania or Russia, plot it against HRE or France.

Do all Units, with upgrades. You will notice that *even within* the factions, there are such *massive* differences between units, they barely look like they belong in the same universe let alone to the same species.
    And what "washed out colors" do you mean? Surely you can't favor the garish, yet anachronisitcally, vanilla colours.

Quote Originally Posted by Domeric_Bolton View Post
    @Dekhartes

Any Mod, really. Most are quite liberal with their units. Especially the western Factions desperately need a rework - Though I am more of a fan of Regional Units, not Faction based ones.

I mean, open up a game, pick Lithuania or Russia, plot it against HRE or France.

Do all Units, with upgrades. You will notice that *even within* the factions, there are such *massive* differences between units, they barely look like they belong in the same universe let alone to the same species.
    And what "washed out colors" do you mean? Surely you can't favor the garish, yet anachronisitcally, vanilla colours.
    i said i like many of the older units more i didnt say ALL OF THEM, for sure there are problems in lithuanian roster since SS6.3/6.4 with many lithuanian units just looking incredibly dark

and as example of units i like more i was speaking about the current western units SSHIP is using like for example armoured sergeants or feudal knights, SS6.4 models looked better and those models were created with vanilla textures or atleast maintained the same color palette

To dark? I think they look pretty accurate, actually. And they absolutely beautiful.

And the guy that made them (MadTao) actually studied Lithuanian Medieval Arms and Armour, iirc.

Oh yeah, those western units are perfectly fine - But they are drowned in a absolute ocean of mediocrity, modelwise. Do you know if there are more of those? I am kind of looking for anything pretty and generic enough to replace the Spearmen/Swordmen variants across Europe.

I don't get how there has never been a medieval mod that managed to cover the same extent map/culture wise as vanilla - and get rid of all vanilla units. I don't.

To dark? I think they look pretty accurate, actually. And they absolutely beautiful.

And the guy that made them (MadTao) actually studied Lithuanian Medieval Arms and Armour, iirc.

Oh yeah, those western units are perfectly fine - But they are drowned in a absolute ocean of mediocrity, modelwise. Do you know if there are more of those? I am kind of looking for anything pretty and generic enough to replace the Spearmen/Swordmen variants across Europe.

I don't get how there has never been a medieval mod that managed to cover the same extent map/culture wise as vanilla - and get rid of all vanilla units. I don't.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

their colors are too dark compared to other units

as for the new western units they are too skinny, look at the legs especially, the new sergeants models are the ones on the left the old SS6.4 are on the right

skinny virgin teenager knights

VS

muscular chad alpha knights

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Not matter which models we use or create, we can't please everybody. That's just a matter of taste.

Beside, what Domeric_Bolton was mentionning originally is the lack of homogeneity between the units models style, something you have actually illustrated in your 1st pic in the spoiler, Deskhatres.

So yes, I'd like to get all of them in the same style. Dark or not, we'll see. We might use both actually, to reflect armor upgrades and/or the different steel qualities.

Edit: Agree on the fact that Sandy's models are somehow 'too skinny'.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; September 01, 2019 at 12:52 AM.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

it's not the metal colors that are causing the problems tho, it's the red/brown cloth and and leather

the unit at the front is from the same roster however unlike the others they are covered in metal armor more than the others, see how it looks rather good with less of that cloth and leather, they are still slightly darker than the sergeants on the right but this degree of difference is perfectly fine since they dont look out of place like in previous screens

EDIT: the sergeants are the unit to the right not the left, my bad

Blog Entries

That's a non-issue actually. A slight correction of the colour tone should do the trick.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Hot damn I didn't expect this mod to still be in development. Prior to the 2018 build, I looked into this submod at a time when I was first trying out Battle for the Baltic. Back then I ended up being content with just that. Seeing the 2018 recently has changed my mind.

Y'all doing great work now! Really pleased to see it's not dead and still in development. I've always been a sucker for historically accurate mods, EB1 and 2 being my mainstay.

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

I do not understand either. My sub-mod of SSHIP tries to take back a maximum of units. https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...logy-Costumes)

For now, my job is essentially to take back the units of the first period and focus on the West. The work is however huge for a single guy ...

Seeing that the only thing you did in the past 4 years with this ambitious project is added new names is pretty lame

Please take it as a constructive criticism

YOUR POST IS NOT CONSTRUCTIVE IN ANY WAY, IT IS INDEED DISRESPECTFUL AND RUDE AND WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. BEFORE YOU MAKE A POST IN THIS FORUM PLEASE THINK VERY CAREFULLY ABOUT WHAT YOU SAY, NEXT TIME I WILL NOT BE SO ACCEPTING.

NAVAJO JOE
    SS FORUM MODERATOR
    Last edited by Navajo Joe; September 01, 2019 at 11:18 AM. Reason: MODERATION

Your work is truly welcome friend! You've single handedly, at this moment before the latest release of SSHIP, fixed my only issue with this submod. No longer must I look at the Dib headed western nobility

Quote Originally Posted by kostic View Post
    I do not understand either. My sub-mod of SSHIP tries to take back a maximum of units. https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...logy-Costumes)

For now, my job is essentially to take back the units of the first period and focus on the West. The work is however huge for a single guy ...
    That above was for you my man, thought I quoted correctly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal View Post
    Seeing that the only thing you did in the past 4 years with this ambitious project is added new names is pretty lame

Man, you have no idea about what's happening behind the curtains.We aren't many people involved in this. We're all busy in real life. In our dev forum, we propose, we discuss, we move forward and backward. So yes, it may look not much is happening from the public side. But I can tell you that we're not doing all.
    So yes, things could move faster. I take full responsability for that. But at least, we're still here.

Now, with all my respect, your remark is anything but constructive. It shows that you haven't taken the time to read carefully all the changes we're currently implementing. There's more than just simple names changes

Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by kostic View Post

hi kostic, I absolutely loved your tweaks on the western rosters plus some moorish units like the christian_guard.

Personally, I felt a bit sad that Moors as a massive faction on campaign start as indicated by the big faction icon on campaign selection, has a very limited units compared to other Islamic factions such as Abbasids (very small faction icon) that has a whopping 5+ rows of faction units (on all period custom battle setup) while the mighty Moors have only around 2.5 rows of units.

i don't know if this is intended but anywho I kindly request the devs of this amazing & astonishing mod to reconsider the rosters of the Moors as I dont get them having fewer factional units than other smaller faction. Thanks!!
    (this is my first post ever pls don't bully)

Laetus

I did noticed that the Moors do have a lot of AoR rosters such as the African and Berber units, but why are they on mercs faction instead of the main Moors faction's?

I have only been playing this mod recently and this is my first time playing as the Moors. When I was testing them on custom battle, their main factional units showed up so few compared to say, the Abbasids or even the neighbouring Iberian factions.

I think it is rather intended since the beginning so I'll do my own tinkering of the rosters .

Blog Entries

Many rosters needs to be reworked actually. The Almoravids roster was done before my time in SSHIP. But your remark is noted.

For info, the size of the factions' icons are based on the factions' power, not on their units' rosters size

Well, the Chad Knights arent accurate and their too shiny, as are all things vanilla. The Lithuanian Units are perfectly fitting, I feel. They come from a dank, swampy place and they wear dark, hardened leather. You did not expect homogeneity of equipment or colour, yes?

What I mainly meant was for example: Mod Units have more pronounced "Geometry" of the Armour and Faces. Vanilla does not, it looks like people with faces painted onto a flat mask.

They can and should look different visually.

@Lifthrasir, I once again offer my services in getting more models together. I have downloaded Deus Vult and am looking for some other discontinued Mods that are awkward to get working again, with great models.

Would that be helpful? I presume you are not sitting on a giant pile of new models that are just waiting to be implemented, yes?

VineFynn's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal View Post
    Hard to take this as any kind of criticism at all, given that it is demonstrably false
    Real life is balanced.

Blog Entries

@Lifthrasir, I once again offer my services in getting more models together. I have downloaded Deus Vult and am looking for some other discontinued Mods that are awkward to get working again, with great models.

Would that be helpful? I presume you are not sitting on a giant pile of new models that are just waiting to be implemented, yes?
    Thanks for your offer. To be honest, I don't think there's more we can use from DLV. We already use Sandy's units and nikossaiz real shields. I also have the permission to use the Norse models from Raaka but still need to implement the full set.
    I'll PM you for more details

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    That's a non-issue actually. A slight correction of the colour tone should do the trick.