Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: [Release] SSHIP v0.9.5 downloadable - 25th of December 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Userius View Post
    I just started a campaign as Poland, and I'm not sure how Poland and Hungary starting off at war is a historical improvement in any way, shape, or form. There never was such a conflict from my knowledge of Polish-Hungarian relations, and Google search shows no results.

I can understand if this is for gameplay purposes, but then I fail to see what this has to do in a mod about historical improvement that many could say already stifles gameplay in several ways.

Also are there any submods that make cav less OP or general recommendations on how to change this in files?
    Interestignly enough, in the year 1132 there was indeed a war between Poland and Hungary. It was related to the succession struggles in Hungary after the death of king Stephan II. There's an intervention from the Polish duke Boleslaw and it ended in his forces defeated and withdrawing due to support for one of the opponents, Bela II, from many sides.

What follows: the depiction the Polish corps at the Hungarian border and the state of war is quite historical for 1132.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

To change cav stats, you need to edit the export_descr_unit.txt file (EDU). Have a look in the Medieval 2 workshop, tutorials forum. Can't give you the link, I'm on my mobile
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

I know why knights and such were moved from the stables building line, but as it stands, the lack of progression in cavalry in Western European armies makes building stables feel rather pointless. I don't see why high tier stables couldn't also allow for limited recruitment of heavy cavalry (i.e. Miles, Mailed Knights) as well, instead of having to wait for hundreds of years to be able to recruit professional heavy cavalry from the stable line.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Interestignly enough, in the year 1132 there was indeed a war between Poland and Hungary. It was related to the succession struggles in Hungary after the death of king Stephan II. There's an intervention from the Polish duke Boleslaw and it ended in his forces defeated and withdrawing due to support for one of the opponents, Bela II, from many sides.

What follows: the depiction the Polish corps at the Hungarian border and the state of war is quite historical for 1132.

I forgot about that struggle with the Boris somehow, but was it even a full-scale "war"? I guess we can't model anything other than the whole kingdom being at war in the game though so I just have to accept it either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    To change cav stats, you need to edit the export_descr_unit.txt file (EDU). Have a look in the Medieval 2 workshop, tutorials forum. Can't give you the link, I'm on my mobile
    I'm well aware of all of that, but what I mean is has anyone made a post on how to re-balance the cavalry in whatever aspect whether it be unit mass or charge bonus? I certainly don't want to play around with every single cav unit in the files individually just to find out that what I did was idiotic.

Basically what I mean is that my Piast Nobles shouldn't destroy 5 units by themselves, as nice as that is for me And we're not even talking about Polish Guard or French Lancers yet.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

I forgot about that struggle with the Boris somehow, but was it even a full-scale "war"? I guess we can't model anything other than the whole kingdom being at war in the game though so I just have to accept it either way.
    Yeah, I've provided the explanation but I'm also not convinced. I share your feeling that the relations between PL and HU should be much better. Playing Poland I hadn't attack Hungary but I had to repel their attacks occassionally. I think that the initial attitude should be not -0.7 but +0.7. Anyway, it was the idea of the team back 8 years ago, I believe.

I'm actually curious to know what do you think about the number of population in the other settlements. In general, they're too populous imo.

I'm well aware of all of that, but what I mean is has anyone made a post on how to re-balance the cavalry in whatever aspect whether it be unit mass or charge bonus? I certainly don't want to play around with every single cav unit in the files individually just to find out that what I did was idiotic.

Basically what I mean is that my Piast Nobles shouldn't destroy 5 units by themselves, as nice as that is for me And we're not even talking about Polish Guard or French Lancers yet.
    I think getting rid of "can_formed_charge" would help somehow. But I'm not sure. It'd be interesting if you could, for instance, have a look how PB made it his mod and put it down.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; July 15, 2019 at 01:43 AM.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    I think getting rid of "can_formed_charge" would help somehow. But I'm not sure. It'd be interesting if you could, for instance, have a look how PB made it his mod and put it down.
    I might just look into it.

As for population, I haven't played enough to be sure, only a few turns. I'll have to see.

first go to descr_mounts and change the mass of all mounts, double it

then go to battle_config open it with notepad and find "<melee-hit-rate>1.75</melee-hit-rate>" change it to 1.0 and test a battle to see if you like it, the higher the number the stronger the cavalry charges are (Note this numbers also affects combat speed, the higher the number the faster units die in combat but units die fast already so lowerng it is always a good thing)

go to EDU and change the secondary damage of all cavalry, change it all to 1

that's about it

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

My campaign as Venice is getting bogged down, as the Papal State keeps declaring war on me. I have good relations with them, I have an alliance with them, and my approval with the Pope is good. The only thing lacking is I have Dubious reputation rating. I'm playing on Hard campaign difficulty and Savage AI. No matter what I do, sooner or later they send an army to attack me. The only way to stop them from attacking seems to be to stack up large garrisons in all the provinces bordering Rome.

Is the Papal State supposed to be this aggressive?

Blog Entries

They're a bit too aggresive IMO but I haven't checked why. Also reputation is tied to the way you expand. The bigger your realm becomes, the lower your reputation is (to reflect the defiance your neighbours, thinking they can be the next of your targets). However, this may be tweaked in the future.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

GreedBC's Avatar Laetus

Hello.
    It seems Portugal family tree has some inconsistencies.
    According to a history book about the Portuguese kings genealogical tree (which was written in 1735 and in "old" portuguese), the late king Dom|D. Henrique, or Henrique de Borgonha, had 6 children:
    - Urraca Henriques
    - Sancha Henriques
    - Teresa Henriques
    - D. Afonso Henriques (the present king in the mod)
    - Henrique; died in 1110 with 4 years old.
    - Pedro Henriques aka Pedro Afonso; bastard son.

Out of curiosity, in modern portuguese, the name Afonso has only one "f" but in this document I came to have possession of, the writer wrote it with 2. Possibly derived from galician-portuguese.
    I can send you the document or the parts that interest you, if you want.

Blog Entries

Many family trees are wrong.or have mistakes. Noted for the Portugese. Thanks.

VineFynn's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by GreedBC View Post
    Hello.
    It seems Portugal family tree has some inconsistencies.
    According to a history book about the Portuguese kings genealogical tree (which was written in 1735 and in "old" portuguese), the late king Dom|D. Henrique, or Henrique de Borgonha, had 6 children:
    - Urraca Henriques
    - Sancha Henriques
    - Teresa Henriques
    - D. Afonso Henriques (the present king in the mod)
    - Henrique; died in 1110 with 4 years old.
    - Pedro Henriques aka Pedro Afonso; bastard son.

Out of curiosity, in modern portuguese, the name Afonso has only one "f" but in this document I came to have possession of, the writer wrote it with 2. Possibly derived from galician-portuguese.
    I can send you the document or the parts that interest you, if you want.
    Family trees will have seen some improvements by the next patch.
    Real life is balanced.

GreedBC's Avatar Laetus

Nice, thanks for the heads up.
    If you need more help about the portuguese just ask away, I'll try my best to help.

VineFynn's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by GreedBC View Post
    Nice, thanks for the heads up.
    If you need more help about the portuguese just ask away, I'll try my best to help.
    There's only so much we/I can do, but I appreciate the offer.
    Real life is balanced.

Default About HRE

Hello,there is a mod that remove the number of starting provinces for the HRE? or can someone can tell how to remove settlements from a faction? I feel the HRE has too many provices for a state that is know for been historical decentralised, two or three regions would do fine.

Blog Entries

First of all, welcome along these forums.

To answer to your question, we ususally don't answer to modding related question because there's a dedicated forum, named the Medieval II: Total War Workshop, for that purpose. Anyway, check this thread. It should help you

Hello. First of all great Mod, i played it in the past with pleasure and i'm starting playing it again but i found a problem (probably intended but i want to expresse how i feel about it anyway).

So i started with portugal Vh/vh i all goes well...since i was a bit dusty i choose to ceasefire with the moors and attack Castille right away to be a little bit easier...and all goes well...i conquer Lisbon...then acept the ceasefire with the moors and we star to attack Castille together...i conquer Santiago de Compostela and the proceed to attack Leon (their capital) and now is where i find this mod unrealistic...i conquer it...i sack it (because with only with ocupation will be impossible to mantain public order...i tested and it will drop to 40%)...so as i was saying i sacked it and all seems fine....i had almost a full stack...my king...another general etc...so because i know spies can be a problem and public order was "only" at 110% i recruit a spie just in case...well...only one turn after my public order drop to 50%...and the next turn the city rebel and i can do absolute nothing to stop it.

What's wrong? It's because it was the capital or what? Almost a full stack...my king in the town...spy and everything...my capital is literal border to Leon (Coimbra) and the city rebels like that? Well...so if i go futher than toledo i simple can't have public order? I don't try to exterminate but if the city drops to 110% to rebel in just two turns i don't think that will really make any difference.

Any tip? Because this is insane and almost unplaybale, the region make border to my capital...and it's catolithic! I kown i was excommunicated but it's just 25%...will not help me any way even if i'm wans't...

Blog Entries

That's to reflect a kind of nationalism and it has been buffed already. May be it needs further polishing. We'll see.
    In any case, destroy all buildings lowering down public order and happiness and on contrary, build these that increase them. If you can, bribe the Pope. If you're not excommunicated, it helps as well.
    Try to increase your reputation by improving your relations with other factions (bribery, gift, etc...) and after battles, try to release prisoners.
    Another trick is to make their capital your own.
    Finally, depending on your king's traits, it might be better to bring another general there to replace him (one with high dread trait if I remember well ).
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; July 23, 2019 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Typos

yea but why do these wild changes happen so sudden ? as the guy said from 110% to rebel in 2 turns