Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Nemesis is right about the amount of factions. SSHIP has reached the limit allowed. Slaves/Rebels can't be removed. If a new faction is implemented, then an existing one has to go.
    For now, it's not planned to change any of them.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Frosted Flaker View Post
    Coming From New TW, Need Help

I'm a big fan of the mod. I started getting into TW mods with the deeper mods for the new titles (DEI for Rome 2, FOTE for Attila) and am working my way back.
    I really appreciate the historical accuracy and immersion of SSHIP, but I think I don't know how M2TW works under the hood well enough. With the newer titles, Ancient Empire for Attila may be complex and immersive, but I know where all the info and buttons are so I can come from Fall of the Eagles, an equally complex mod set 1000 years later and not skip a beat.

Take the example of the campaign I just started with Pisa.
    I'm really interested in medieval history and play a lot of hardcore mods for CKII, so I know I should have a maritime focus, get close to the Pope, and fund and participate in crusades.

No matter how deep a mod is, how much granularity and historical fidelity it has, in a new TW title it would be pretty clear cut. Set up trade, expand the trade building in my starting settlement (In complex mods it might branch to focus on revenue vs trade good production), use the money to expand to eventually take the whole starting province, which I'm guessing would include Pisa, Florence and Genoa. Depending on the mod it might take 2 turns or 30, but the idea is more or less the same. With the whole province I would demolish redundant buildings and specialize so that I have Pisa or Genoa as my trade settlement (adding culture when the settlement expands), whichever I didn't pick as a military settlement, adding religion down the line, and the last province as a food and industrial centre, unless I can import food through edict, in which case it's just industry.

I have no idea what to do in Medieval 2. In the SSHIP feature it says

But I can't figure out anywhere what those are because buildings don't have the same info available as they do in the newer titles! I can't make decisions based on only having a few slots, and I have no idea how buildings interact. I can intuit that I shouldn't build every building in every settlement, and probably shouldn't upgrade them all to the end of the tree, but beyond that, I'm lost.

Even little things. The Leather Tanner is replaced by the Blacksmith shop. Okay, I'm with it so far. When I get the Blacksmith shop, do I lose the ability to upgrade leather and padded armour? Should I care? Does that mean I should have a Blacksmith shop in one province and a Leather Tanner in another? Should I have a Leather Tanner in every province?

Can someone please break down buildings and settlements for me?
    You can right-click on buildings to view which benefits (and in the case of this mod also the disadvantages) they provide.
    I assume the lack of that information is what's confusing you since you mentioned having played the newer TW games in which the building info is displayed when you hover over them. Apologies if this isn't the case.

Where are the guns/firearm units?

Really far down the event progression, like 700-800 turns from the start of an Early Era campaign I think?

event historic musket_invented
    date 378
    that's 378 "years" at 2 turns per year.

awww, turn 1510? that's loooongggg... Thanks BTW :>

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Alavaria View Post
    Really far down the event progression, like 700-800 turns from the start of an Early Era campaign I think?

that's 378 "years" at 2 turns per year.
    I believe it's 378 turns, so it's 189 years, so 1321, so it's even earlier than the Walter de Milemete pic.

i'm really enjoying the look & feel of the mod, however I have one observation - after a period, having gotten some merchants out into the world & grabbed a few settlements, I find myself sitting on piles of gold. Every faction plays out this way - England, France, Byzantium, Venice, Pisa - roll up a few cities, roll out some merchants, and then never worry about gold again.

Obviously I'm taking it slow & not spamming armies, so upkeep is generally around 30k - but in my current French game, I have 200k in the bank, 10-20 per turn depending on what fighting is going on, three stacks on the board & one en route for the Holy Land.

Am I just doing everything right ? I'm so used to these mods being unbelievably difficult that this seems suspicious !

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Hi Methuen,
    on merchants - maybe you can comment on my proposal described here?
    on budget: below there're data from my campaign. How do they compare to your experience?

late game sicily crash for anybody else? brand new start/install and it freezes in africa before any cities are spawned/given. doesn't seem to happen to any other faction as far as i can tell. in fact the whole high/late game seems buggy/odd. you don't get the mod welcome screen, nor the choose a heir confirmation notification.. hm..

Quote Originally Posted by Koviack View Post
    late game sicily crash for anybody else? brand new start/install and it freezes in africa before any cities are spawned/given. doesn't seem to happen to any other faction as far as i can tell. in fact the whole high/late game seems buggy/odd. you don't get the mod welcome screen, nor the choose a heir confirmation notification.. hm..
    That's because Late Era has no settlements assigned for Sicily.

Blog Entries

The late era was just an alpha version done by MWY and yes, there's still a lot of issues in it.
    But as MWY is inactive for a year, more or less, don't expect any change in it within a short time period.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

jackw93's Avatar Foederatus

Hey Folks, I am wondering if anyone has/knows of an export_descr_unit file around which maxes out all unit sizes (250 men infantry, 100 men cav etc.) so that is saves me time going through and editing it individually myself

I figured I would just check before I start

THX

Blog Entries

There's no such file unless someone has implemented the original SSHIP file. Otherwise, you will have to do it by yourself.

Elendil 03's Avatar Semisalis
    A landlocked, neutral country somewhere in Western Europe

Would it be possible to make a script that lets several units be recruited together as a whole? For example, a feudal Retinue which consists of 1 unit of knightly cav, 1 unit of "squires" cav and 1 unit of grooms (perhaps light infantry) and which is recruited through just one click instead of hiring all three units individually?

Blog Entries

^^ I don't think so

Too bad, that would've been a hell of a cool feature. Well, what could actually work is to have the one unit recruited and add different ones via script (like they did for the Courtesan Ladies submod). Can you think of implementing such a script that spawns this Retinue automatically when recruiting a unit of knights gameplay- and effort-wise? How would it impact the processing time at the turn ends?

Blog Entries

By Courtesan Ladies submod, are you referring to Royal Ladies of the Court (RLC) for 6.4 submod?

Exactly. There's been a remake released under the title "Courtesan Ladies Redux", this is what I'd go for if you feel like.

Blog Entries

To be honest, I'm not especially in favor of such script (if ever possible) for units recruitment.

OK, I see. It would be an interesting approach, though. And it would ertainly feel more historical for the western Europeans. On the other hand, I must agree this would be too much of a change to how the game normally functions and as such not be worth the effort it'd take to bring it to a playable level.