Page 2 of 360 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752102 ... LastLast

Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

There's still a lot of work to reach our goal and we haven't considered that seriously yet.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

I've never encountered Elephants in an AI army. Are they ever recruited by the enemies of factions w African territories ? If not it'd be nice.

MatVego's Avatar Civis

In the game there is only one unit of elephants with arquebuse(appear late), they're mercenaries so they're certainly very expensive (3600 florins?). Propably because AI don't recruit them. But these are just my guesses.
    "Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither."
    - Benjamin Franclin (1706-1790)
    "The best fortress which a prince can possess is the affection of his people."
    -
    Niccolò Machiavelli (1469-1527)
    "A Nation That Does Not Respect His Past, Does Not Deserve Respect Of The Present And Has No Right To The Future."
    -Józef Piłsudski (1867-1935)

There are mercenary elephants available in far SE of map and also Timurids have elephants... both were gunpowder units. Since we cut Timurids and basically decided to eliminate most gunpowder units to free up space in EDU we probably try to include a mercenary elephant with archers but it is not priority though we have some re-skinned models already.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichon View Post
    There are mercenary elephants available in far SE of map and also Timurids have elephants... both were gunpowder units. Since we cut Timurids and basically decided to eliminate most gunpowder units to free up space in EDU we probably try to include a mercenary elephant with archers but it is not priority though we have some re-skinned models already.
    Elephants w archers would be awesome. Love your work !

Giorgios's Avatar Campidoctor

Would it be possible to drastically slow down religious conversion rates? Playing as Norman Sicily, I conquered the two "Tunisian" provinces early on, and it was quite unsatisfactory to me that I was able to convert them to Catholicism in just four or five turns. Broken Crescent manages a system where conversion rates are slowed down quite drastically: I wondered if it'd be possible here as well as a tweak for the next release?

Blog Entries

Yes, we have discussed about that. I think Ichon has proposed to reduce the unrest due to the capital distance but also to reduce the conversion rate.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

There was a version of SSHIP at some point that had reduced religious conversion rates but when we have multiple people involved not to mention I was completely absent from modding for over half a year it was overlooked during file merge. I'm pretty sure it will be making comeback that it takes several priests to convert a province even to 50% in less than 20 years. So conquering your religious enemy makes the Pope happy or some other enemies of that faction but is much more difficult... meanwhile your neighbors territory of the same religion looks alot easier to take and hold.

Currently we are discussing how much to reduce unrest and slow down conversion rates. Slower conversion will hopefully stabilize some regions of the map but we can't reduce unrest too much or it is very easy to occupy new regions which it wasn't historically.

Do you guys have any use for new quotes? I have compiled a submod list of over 250 actual quotes from various Western, Byzantine, and Muslim primary sources and would be willing to donate them for the cause.

A few excerpts:

Βασιλεὺς Βασιλέων Βασιλεύων Βασιλευόντων; "King of Kings, Ruling over Rulers". - Motto of the Palaiologos Emperors

The tzangra, or crossbow, is a weapon of the barbarians. The unfortunate man who is struck by it dies without feeling anything, so strong is the force of the blow. - Anna Komnene, The Alexiad

The city is fallen and I am still alive. - Constantine XI Palaiologos, his last words at the Fall of Constantinople (1453)

Death is inevitable, therefore one should not pre-occupy the mind with it. - Muhammad ibn Zakariyā Rāzī (Rhazes)

An ignorant doctor is the aide-de-camp of death. - Ibn Sīnā (Avicenna)

Ragnvaldr had these runes carved; He was in Greece, and was Commander of the Guard. - Inscription on a Varangian runestone

The wolf howls from the distant hill; To wolf and raven in the distant East. - The Saga of Harald Hardrada

Then I saw a new Heaven and a new Earth. The former Heaven and the former Earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. - Revelations 21:1

Even as the fingers of the two hands are equal, so are human beings equal to one another. No one has any right, nor any preference to claim over another. You are brothers. - The Prophet Muhammad, his final sermon

Blog Entries

Many thanks for your generous offer Ambarenya. Why not? I have to admit that we haven't thought about that as that's not our priority #1 but it might be a good addition to the submod. Feel free to share it. You can post a link here or PM Ichon, MWY or myself.
    Of course, if we use it even partially, credit will be given.

Yeah, cutting down unrest from distance seems pretty vital. As it is now, playing as a faction in the more sparsely populated areas of the map (like Poland, as I'm doing now) becomes frustrating. 50 regions seems implausible when even holding onto Prague and Postok (two compulsory settlements) puts an unrest factor of 80% between them. I'm not even half way to 50 regions at this point but the unrest is already intense

Lifthrasir - Great! I will work on finalizing it, and then send it over to you guys once I am done.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ambarenya View Post
    Lifthrasir - Great! I will work on finalizing it, and then send it over to you guys once I am done.
    Once again, many thanks for your contribution.

why the heretics are so strong? 7-10 piety. plus why it adds piety to the iman if he fall to heresy? itried to denounce 5 piety heretic and my iman from 4 piety become 8 piety heretic. thats way to much. plus just 30 years old, i wont be able to denounce him now, couse all imans will turn to heresy. only by smamming assassins i'll be able to get rid of him, but that will take a lot of time and annoying. you should be able to denounce them, or at least not loose your imans or priests so often

Blog Entries

That's not a SSHIP feature but one from Stainless Steel 6.4. May be MWY knows a way to adjust them.

I think with religious conversion rates turned down it might not be so bad. Denouncing a cult or heresy can be quite dangerous. Not only Ismailiis but some other different branches of both Christianity and Islam had quite nasty revolts and wars while if the leading religious authority is simply bought out or falls sick and dies instead of tried in an official court its less likely to be a martyr. (I think of assassins sometimes as bribing people not always killing them).

Giorgios's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Ichon View Post
    There was a version of SSHIP at some point that had reduced religious conversion rates but when we have multiple people involved not to mention I was completely absent from modding for over half a year it was overlooked during file merge. I'm pretty sure it will be making comeback that it takes several priests to convert a province even to 50% in less than 20 years. So conquering your religious enemy makes the Pope happy or some other enemies of that faction but is much more difficult... meanwhile your neighbors territory of the same religion looks alot easier to take and hold.

Currently we are discussing how much to reduce unrest and slow down conversion rates. Slower conversion will hopefully stabilize some regions of the map but we can't reduce unrest too much or it is very easy to occupy new regions which it wasn't historically.
    That sounds good to me. As Sicily I've conquered a good chunk of north Africa as well as most of Italy, and there are rebellions popping up all over the place! I think part of this is due to the high squalour levels of very large settlements?

i hope we get next version soon we dont need new stuff for now, just fixed grey units, and similiar bugs, like miles dismounted fix

Quote Originally Posted by Ambarenya View Post
    Do you guys have any use for new quotes? I have compiled a submod list of over 250 actual quotes from various Western, Byzantine, and Muslim primary sources and would be willing to donate them for the cause.

A few excerpts:

Βασιλεὺς Βασιλέων Βασιλεύων Βασιλευόντων; "King of Kings, Ruling over Rulers". - Motto of the Palaiologos Emperors

The tzangra, or crossbow, is a weapon of the barbarians. The unfortunate man who is struck by it dies without feeling anything, so strong is the force of the blow. - Anna Komnene, The Alexiad

The city is fallen and I am still alive. - Constantine XI Palaiologos, his last words at the Fall of Constantinople (1453)

Death is inevitable, therefore one should not pre-occupy the mind with it. - Muhammad ibn Zakariyā Rāzī (Rhazes)

An ignorant doctor is the aide-de-camp of death. - Ibn Sīnā (Avicenna)

Ragnvaldr had these runes carved; He was in Greece, and was Commander of the Guard. - Inscription on a Varangian runestone

The wolf howls from the distant hill; To wolf and raven in the distant East. - The Saga of Harald Hardrada

Then I saw a new Heaven and a new Earth. The former Heaven and the former Earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. - Revelations 21:1

Even as the fingers of the two hands are equal, so are human beings equal to one another. No one has any right, nor any preference to claim over another. You are brothers. - The Prophet Muhammad, his final sermon
    maybe it will be cooler if add more medieval art from various sources (especially from eastern european, middle east, etc), because many arts displayed in loading screen is based from western european source

well, but the problem is copyright issues

MCJ's Avatar Foederatus

Yes I would like to play a Late Era SSHIP campaign too in the future