Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by XXZit View Post
    Another interesting point is that offering military assistance against a faction through diplomacy and then delivering on your promise will increase the reputation of the faction to which you offered the help, not your reputation. Similarly, if you request military assistance, if the AI helps you it is your reputation that will increase, not theirs.

This is a bug present in vanilla and all mods I've played and I haven't found a way to fix it. It is probable that the triggers are reversed, causing this behavior.
    Yes, I believe this is the reason for one of the tricks which is to constantly ask your friends for help and then after you beat up your mutual enemy then your friend will boldly hit them, giving you bonus. Allowing you to increase your rep very very quickly.

I think I must agree, the whole penalty from occupying cities seem strange. I could understand that the faction you captured it from and their allies will like you less, but not that you get a global reputation penalty for sparing the population. Especially 0.15 which is quite much considering -1 and +1 are min and max. I suppose it's to make expansion harder and slower, since there are a massive amount of turns available to you.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

That has nothing to do with population but rather on how other factions see you. The more powerful you become, the more the risk of you becoming a threat for them increase. So they start to dislike you.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

I see, but isn't that already being handled by the "EnglandHuge" and such triggers?

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Scripting is not my stuff and I let MWY to answer instead of saying something wrong
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by DaReaperZ View Post
    I think I must agree, the whole penalty from occupying cities seem strange. I could understand that the faction you captured it from and their allies will like you less, but not that you get a global reputation penalty for sparing the population. Especially 0.15 which is quite much considering -1 and +1 are min and max. I suppose it's to make expansion harder and slower, since there are a massive amount of turns available to you.
    I mean it depends on what you're treating as your limiting factor, "oh no the computer factions which love to attack the player regardless.... don't like me" isn't really that much of a limiting factor in and of itself.

If everyone wants to end your existence, arming up and taking settlements is generally the solution not the problem.

I see your point Alavaria, the problem with having the entire world not liking you is that ceasefires are usually hard to get, trade rights as well. Diplomacy becomes a mess. I know AI will backstab me no matter what I do, especially those countries that are scripted to be your rivals.

tmodelsk's Avatar Tiro

There's Quieter AI mini-mod by Kaiser29 , it has reworked faction standings (descr_faction_standing.txt).
    In general, all reputation penalties are 50% lower.
    You can compare original SSHIP descr_faction_standing.txt and Kaiser's by yourself.
    It works, I've used it in two short campaigns.
    SSHIP mini-mods :

tmodelsk's Avatar Tiro

Questions about global reputation.

Where is it shown in the game ?
    Is it individual per each faction, what they think about me (me - France , me - HRE, me - ... ), or 'global', the same between me and all other factions ?
    SSHIP mini-mods :

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by tmodelsk View Post
    Is it individual per each faction, what they think about me (me - France , me - HRE, me - ... ), or 'global', the same between me and all other factions ?
    I understand it in such a way: it's one for each of the factions (in your words: between me and all other factions), in-game to be seen as you hover the cursor in the diplomacy screen on the factions symbol.

There's Quieter AI mini-mod by Kaiser29 , it has reworked faction standings (descr_faction_standing.txt).
    But bear also in mind that the minimod also changes the unrest modifiers - the impact of garrisons is smaller, but the impact of the buildings much stronger. It seems that it's much easier to keep the unrest in check and you don't spend much money on garrisons. If you don't want this effect, you may just skip "descr_settlement_mechanics.txt" file.

It is both and neither. There is a global reputation system which is a representation of how trustworthy other factions, as a whole, see you; it ranges from despicable to immaculate. This affects several decisions the AI makes about you and diplomatic negotiations (cease of fire, alliance, vassalage)
    You can see what your reputation is by hovering the mouse over your faction icon in the diplomacy menu.

Then there's the "popularity" system, which represents the relations you have with each individual faction. These go from abysmal to perfect, and also influence diplomacy, as well as help the AI decide whether to lunch a military campaign on you and other decisions. For instance if The Papal States like you, the pope is more likely to call a crusade on the settlement of your choice, as well as look the other way when you are attacking other catholic factions.

Generally, having a good global reputation will raise your popularity with other factions; they'll like you more. The opposite will happen if you are known as the backstabbing type.

You can compare original SSHIP descr_faction_standing.txt and Kaiser's by yourself.
    It works, I've used it in two short campaigns.
    Hey I think I might try that one, though I will probably step up the game difficulty then, but it sounds just like what I was thinking about, thanks.

Regarding reputation, you can easily check your reputation by going to the diplomacy screen and holding over your own shield of the nation you are playing, then you can check a bunch of things by holding the mouse over the AI shields to see their reputation and relations with you. Reputation is global, like Jurand and XXZit explained, while relation are between you and a faction.

So this mod is meant to be played in Early Era,. Is High/Late campaign supported or should I use standard SS6.4 for that? What would be the best?

Quote Originally Posted by DaReaperZ View Post
    So this mod is meant to be played in Early Era,. Is High/Late campaign supported or should I use standard SS6.4 for that? What would be the best?
    There's no Late campaign in SSHIP yet, so you can only take the High one, starting in 1236.
    It depends on what your're looking for.
    My personal opinion is as follows:
    - for the Early era I'd go for SSHIP for the better overall experience: economy balance (income - army costs - army availability), realistic high unrest levels (I wouldn't take that file from the Quiter AI submod), no-stack spam (this is extremely important feature of the SSHIP), reasonable CAI and BAI (what killed my experience in many other mods), historical flavors, variety of the buildings, good units and their stats, scripts, balance between gameplay and (quasi)historicality, smaller issues (no forts, no free upkeep, 2TPY). Finally, my minimods fixing the traits are important for me.
    - High era - it depends which faction. To be frank, I don't know which are well advanced in the SSHIP, but for some I'd probably go for SS6.4 + BGRIV_E (I'd check beforehand). But Byg made things really difficult, and sometimes unnecessarily to my mind (checking wealth of the general is tedious).
    My opinion on HURB you may read here.
    I think the Broken Crescent (starting 1174) is too easy and has many problems (especially enormous stack-spam), while the Deus lo Vult is unstable, unhistorical, dated and has many flaws.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Icon10 Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    There's no Late campaign in SSHIP yet, so you can only take the High one, starting in 1236.
    It depends on what your're looking for.
    My personal opinion is as follows:
    - for the Early era I'd go for SSHIP for the better overall experience: economy balance (income - army costs - army availability), realistic high unrest levels (I wouldn't take that file from the Quiter AI submod), no-stack spam (this is extremely important feature of the SSHIP), reasonable CAI and BAI (what killed my experience in many other mods), historical flavors, variety of the buildings, good units and their stats, scripts, balance between gameplay and (quasi)historicality, smaller issues (no forts, no free upkeep, 2TPY). Finally, my minimods fixing the traits are important for me.
    - High era - it depends which faction. To be frank, I don't know which are well advanced in the SSHIP, but for some I'd probably go for SS6.4 + BGRIV_E (I'd check beforehand). But Byg made things really difficult, and sometimes unnecessarily to my mind (checking wealth of the general is tedious).
    My opinion on HURB you may read here.
    I think the Broken Crescent (starting 1174) is too easy and has many problems (especially enormous stack-spam), while the Deus lo Vult is unstable, unhistorical, dated and has many flaws.
    Thank you for your opinons and suggestions Jurand! I've tried Broken Crescent and I agree, it gets tedious eventually just destroying stack after stack of units. It's an interesting period with many special factions to play or play against, but it needs an update.

In that case, I have a few Early campaigns, Spain for example and I think I will go SS6.4 when playing later campaigns with some other factions. I'll take a look at your minimods too, see what I think about them once I start up an Early campaign.

For high era i like play with mongols( they are unplayable in early era) and conquest and burn all the world haha, also for higha era i like play with rus and egypt mamluk(for resist to mongol horde) or play byzantines for recover the empire of latins traitors...
    Of course high era is still a beta version but i think that MWY will improve it in the next version
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

Will the family trees and general's etc be updated for the High Era campgains to makew them more historically accuate?

Quote Originally Posted by isa0005 View Post
    Will the family trees and general's etc be updated for the High Era campgains to makew them more historically accuate?
    I wouldn't expect so, even if I'd be most interrested. If you'v got a favourite faction and you'd research what changes are needed for this faction (ie army starting positions, generals with their traits, and the other agents), then posting it would help, I think. Or somebody could have made a minimod using this info.

The very late combat with plate armor everywhere would be interesting, it's fun to mess about with those, very different from earlier era battles.

SirPeacemaker's Avatar Centenarius

Hi guys. I wasnt here for a while, the new version of this great mod is still not out, is it? I dont want to miss it.
    Very good rocking song. The message of the song: WHEN PEOPLE LEARN TRUTH ABOUT UKRAINIAN WAR, THEY WILL GO INSANE!! (I suggest to turn the english subtitles on. Its over 18only because of violent pictures) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AAR6nUV7VI