Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

We are always interested! Knowing what players want to see differently, and why, helps us improve things every day. And I can tell you that there is definitely work done by at least one of us every day.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Does anyone have advice on how to do well as the Republic of Novgorod? I've been having trouble with them.

Hey SteamedTang,

I'm in the middle of a campaign with Novgorod, I find them a bit difficult also. I think you have to be very careful with the royal bloodline, and groom your generals with special care.

My tactic was to leave Lithuania be and not to reach for the north see but instead to rush the Kievan Rus. I want to have clusters of two or three cities as much as possible, because the distances are so big that I can't have one army going around for defence. But with some close cities you can sustain medium sized armies. So I went for Kiev (the city) as soon as possible, when I saw smolensk left with a small garrison I launched a full size attack.
    I then focused as much as possible on infrastructure and roads, and aim for the Crown.

For now, as downsides, I have a really bad reputation and Poland is quite strong. I also have not found the time and resources to go for the last Kievan Rus cities that would protect the east of my territories, and I'm under frequent sieges. But I'm slowly getting there! Here's the savegame in case you want to look. If so tell me what you think!

novgorod 3.sav.zip
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats

Awesome! Ill take a look at it when I get the chance.

You're welcome! At the beginning of the campaign I had an Usurper and it was quite troublesome. I wanted to protect my heir so I sent another general to conquer Smolensk and Kiev, But now I know it wasn't the best move, as the conqueror got so much authority and became usurper...

A few turn before this savegame a got a surprise attack by both the ERE and Poland, it was quite tricky!

Is 0.97 out, or are ppl talking about the early version of it?

Early version of it. But keep your eyes peeled

I'm having CTDs when trying to start custom battles, don't know why. Gonna try a fresh install and see if that fixes it.

Also, I want to make sure I understand this properly, as I'm starting as England:

I need to have my King in a settlement with buildings like libraries, governing centers, etc to earn ministerial titles, and castles with military buildings to earn military offices, both of which are supposed to be dispensed to people?

(Also I think Ireland should be harder to conquer. Like, has large rebel armies and maybe a stat on Dublin that makes it incredibly hard to hold via public order penalties harder to conquer).

Quote Originally Posted by reaper101 View Post
    I'm having CTDs when trying to start custom battles, don't know why. Gonna try a fresh install and see if that fixes it.
    Try to install the steam library in another disk of partition, to have the medieval 2 folder as close as root as possible (like D:/steamlibrary/). It did solve some things for me. The problem is that the game is not Large Address aware, so long path may be problematic.

Also, I want to make sure I understand this properly, as I'm starting as England:

I need to have my King in a settlement with buildings like libraries, governing centers, etc to earn ministerial titles, and castles with military buildings to earn military offices, both of which are supposed to be dispensed to people?

(Also I think Ireland should be harder to conquer. Like, has large rebel armies and maybe a stat on Dublin that makes it incredibly hard to hold via public order penalties harder to conquer).
    You're 4ight about ministerial offices, there is buildings requirement. The best would be to look them up on the file export_descr_ancillaries.txt, you would see all the requirements.

Nice note about Ireland!

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Belovèse View Post
    You're 4ight about ministerial offices, there is buildings requirement. The best would be to look them up on the file export_descr_ancillaries.txt, you would see all the requirements.
    It's enough just to read the trait description of your ruler:
    {Office_Holder_Info_on_Granting_desc}This ruler can create offices and grant them to his generals. In order to create an office, he must reside in a settlement with the right infrastructure, and be of sound mind. The offices (and required infrastructure) are as follows: Marshall (requires Drill Square), Master of Horse (requires Barons' Stables), High Treasurer (requires Library), Keeper of the Privy Seal (requires Council Chambers), Chamberlain (requires Coaching House, after 1156), Steward (requires University, after 1181), Chancellor (requires University, after 1206), Seneschal (requires Great Market and a University, after 1231).
    There's also an info window popping out at one of the first turns:
    {INFO_MINISTERIAL_OFFICES_BODY}The Ministerial Offices mechanics is designed for higher campaign difficulties. Playing at Medium you may rather safely ignore it, at Hard it is worth paying attention to, and at Very Hard difficulty it becomes indispensable that you manage the offices carefuly.\n_______________________________________________ \n\nYour faction leader has gained the trait Office Granter. With this trait he has the ability to create and distribute ministerial offices to your generals and governors, increasing their loyalty as well as providing them with specific benefits associated with each office. \n\nA Ministerial Office is an ancillary acquired by the Faction Leader and passed on (through manual swapping) to a general. Each faction has access to up to 8 offices. Only 3 are available from the beginning of the game. The rest will appear over the 200 years of your campaign. They will show up at the Faction Leader's disposal if he ends his move in a settlement with the right infrastructure, e.g. a Drill Square for the office of Marshall, a Library for the office of Treasurer, or a Council Chambers for the Privy Seal (note that the names of offices may differ from faction to faction). For most of the other offices a University is required, and sometimes another relevant building as well. In order to create new offices for distribution, the Faction Leader must also be in the right psychological shape, e.g. neither senile nor mad (this will be depicted in the trait "Fit For Office"). \n\nAn Office provides significant and specialized benefits to the holder of that office: some offices are of military nature, and some are more administrative. More importantly, however, is the longer-term impact that offices have on acquiring certain traits, and the additional Loyalty offices give, something indispensable in large kingdoms. Note that just one Office is enough to provide such an effect. The best strategy for the player is therefore to keep one Ministerial Office per general. It is also worth noting that the Faction Leader does not gain anything from keeping an office for himself. On the contrary, he losses some authority for being an "Officemonger". \n\nLastly, holding an office will change the psychology of the general who receives it, and not always for better. For instance, you will notice that some generals are more likely to get angry when ignored, if they believe they are important nobles, and the granting of an office is liable to give them such beliefs.
    {INFO_MINISTERIAL_OFFICES_TITLE}Ministerial Offices
    Besides, I think the best way is just to read this entry.

Quote Originally Posted by reaper101 View Post
    Well, historically Ireland was subdued quite easily and only after 150 years there was a significant (from the point of view of game scale) uprising.

I saw smolensk left with a small garrison I launched a full size attack.

For now, as downsides, I have a really bad reputation and Poland is quite strong. I also have not found the time and resources to go for the last Kievan Rus cities that would protect the east of my territories, and I'm under frequent sieges.
    Have you noticed if the AI leaves the cities undefended? I've tweaked some parameters so that the AI is required to keep at least 3 units in any settlement. I wonder if it works or it's another buggy option of the Med2 engine.

Another issue: with 0-recruitment price the AI is likely to recruit every knight possible. Have you noticed what is the composition of the AI armies? Are these composed of too many knights?
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; September 19, 2020 at 01:16 AM.

For the garrison: it was some days ago, but I think there was 3 or 4 unots. Undefended was bad phrasing, more precisely I had a full stack and spies to open the gates so it really was an easy grab!

For the army composition: I usually see 1-2 feudal infantry and 1-4 feudal cavalry units in a full stack, and a few or none in smaller stack. It feel pretty balanced IMO, but I only tested 097 with Novgorod. Closest I had from a doom stack was the ERE surprise attack, but it's mainly that their roaster is so good! Epic siege battle, should have taken screenshot, I was left with 30-ish men from a full stack of defenders.

A question about the feodal unit: is it possible to have the disbanded units replenish the recruitment pool, or a faction-wide limit like the agents? I like the free cost and high upkeep idea, but because of the recruitment pool I don't like to dispand them. So I tend to use them on suicide missions and as meat shield to keep my regular troops, which is.... unusual!

Do you guys have any solution on the 5th turn ctd? Happens on every campaign I tried since 096. The only version that doesn't crash for me is 096 from february 3rd On the new test version I also crash when selecting Abbasids and press start. Tried fresh installs on m2tw, ss6.4 and sship with the same results. I don't use the steam version, but the old gold edition on two discs.

@Waluk can you upload the log file and save in the "bug report" thread please? We'll look at it there. Thanks!

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Waluk View Post
    Do you guys have any solution on the 5th turn ctd? Happens on every campaign I tried since 096. The only version that doesn't crash for me is 096 from february 3rd On the new test version I also crash when selecting Abbasids and press start. Tried fresh installs on m2tw, ss6.4 and sship with the same results. I don't use the steam version, but the old gold edition on two discs.
    Yeah, this is a problem. I thought I've mitigated it. I keep on getting it occassionally, but not always.
    I have no problems with moving on with the Abbasids though.

@Belovese: yeah, epic defence battles are most memorable :-)

A question about the feodal unit: is it possible to have the disbanded units replenish the recruitment pool, or a faction-wide limit like the agents? I like the free cost and high upkeep idea, but because of the recruitment pool I don't like to dispand them. So I tend to use them on suicide missions and as meat shield to keep my regular troops, which is.... unusual!
    Yes, it is technically possible. It's been done eg. in the Buff and Shine submod to BC, iirc. We need a skilled coder who would crack how to do it and write the code. I mean: we need you.
    I'd actually foreseen it in the ideal recruitment system. You may comment there as well.

Very nice! But what in the name of god is the papal army doing here? The pope in SSHIP is like Gandhi in Civilization it seem
    I'll look into the pool replenishment, after working with Kilo on the unit cards description.

Very nice! But what in the name of god is the papal army doing here? The pope in SSHIP is like Gandhi in Civilization it seem
    I'll look into the pool replenishment, after working with Kilo on the unit cards description.
    I understand that the team will work on the units(units models, new factions units,units rosters, stats...) after releasing version 0.9.7 right?
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

@Belovese I enjoyed looking at your Novgorod campaign for a bit. I've been meaning to ask this and noticed in your campaign that Novgorod has a plague in it. Novgorod seems to have frequent plagues, in fact, it usually starts by the second turn for me. Did your family tree die out? I was looking through your generals and didn't see any family members with the Of Novgorod Blood trait.

A question sship team, would you like or would you plan to include more "special buildings / wonders for the rest of the factions? Even when a while ago it was commented on the forum to include the Arsenale of Venice so that the Venetians would have an advantage in their fleet ( history) such as giving you discount benefits of recruiting ships or more attack.
    In addition to what I commented a long time ago in the forum to include new wonders for factions that still do not have any and had "important buildings" such as Kiev, Nogvorod, Selyuks ...

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...-Wonders/page3

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ers&styleid=54
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Quote Originally Posted by j.a.luna View Post
    I understand that the team will work on the units(units models, new factions units,units rosters, stats...) after releasing version 0.9.7 right?
    More work is indeed intended on the units after 097 release, but on my play test I've found it quite enjoyable already.

Quote Originally Posted by SteamedTang View Post
    @Belovese I enjoyed looking at your Novgorod campaign for a bit. I've been meaning to ask this and noticed in your campaign that Novgorod has a plague in it. Novgorod seems to have frequent plagues, in fact, it usually starts by the second turn for me. Did your family tree die out? I was looking through your generals and didn't see any family members with the Of Novgorod Blood trait.
    In this save there is the legitimate heir and his son somewhere around Kiev, but I messed the familly tree big time: I wanted my heir to be a chivalry governor, and another general went on to conquer Smolensk, Kiev and the rest. Good way to have usurpers, as I found out! Now I'm attempting to have the "legitimate" heir gain some powerby battling the remnant of Kievan Rus, we'll see how it goes and if he can reconquer his ancestor's throne!
    For the plagues I think the health buildings (bath, sewers...) are a must to avoid plague in big cities, and didn't have the time to construct those yet.

Quote Originally Posted by j.a.luna View Post
    A question sship team, would you like or would you plan to include more "special buildings / wonders for the rest of the factions? Even when a while ago it was commented on the forum to include the Arsenale of Venice so that the Venetians would have an advantage in their fleet ( history) such as giving you discount benefits of recruiting ships or more attack.
    In addition to what I commented a long time ago in the forum to include new wonders for factions that still do not have any and had "important buildings" such as Kiev, Nogvorod, Selyuks ...

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...-Wonders/page3

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ers&styleid=54
    Not sure about the future plans as I'm quite new to the team, I think JoC will be more helpful!

@j.a.luna: Jurand will definitely be able to give the most definitive answer about immediate future plans (he is the lead developer for the SSHIP, as Lifth needs to step back for a bit). However, from our discussions in the developers' forum, I think that our main aims for a while will be fixing a lot of half-implemented features, and cleaning up loads of stuff that are still really messy. In particular, unit descriptions are far behind big changes to actual unit stats, many buildings need new descriptions, the mechanics of certain features need to be tweaked or even rethought, as well as other things. This is not to say the mod can't be played (it is very polished across a huge number of areas), but we would generally like to get what is there to its best version before undertaking new tasks. That being said, never hesitate to give suggestions about things like new buildings, as we definitely want to add more things (within reason and possibility), and having a repository of ideas never hurt anyone
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing