Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

mailmancer's Avatar Laetus

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Can somebody give some quick advice on how to deal with heavy cavalry as say, the Byzantines. Currently fighting Georgia and while i could just overwhelm them with the sheer mass of my Greek/Roman empire, I'd rather just defeat them through effective use of my units. Their heavy cavalry makes the difficult though since they're so damn tough and do so much charge damage. So yeah, any advice?

jurcek1987's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Yeah Georgian units are tough, especially those pesky Royal Monaspas. Mounted Acritae are good against heavy cavalry but they require micro. Personally I just use my own heavy cavalry, kataphraktoi make short work of any unit. Or use skutatoi to receive the charge and then flank them with your cavalry. Huskarls/Varangians are also very effective against bogged down enemy cavalry.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

A bit off SSHIP topic:

karaislam is looking for modders to create a mod based on Crusades: War of the Religions

Unfortunately, I can't help him myself on that project due to limited free time but if there's people with some modding skills and willing to help him, don't hesitate to post in that thread (linked above). Thanks in advance.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Tyvm for this mod. Any chance to see a late campaign option in the future?

Blog Entries

Not in a short term period. But you have the High Era campaign which is not that far away.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    Not in a short term period. But you have the High Era campaign which is not that far away.
    Ty for the quick reply. Im missing something, when install the SS6.4 mod i choose early campaign how you say and with your submod you only speak about early campaign, any map or pictures of this high era campaign? because if i choose other thing than early playing with bizantine imperium start with 2 cities in Turkish territory and Bizantium are in Venetian hands, i have a fleet in his port and my merchants, spies and religious men are in greek land... obviously i have something wrong, also i applied the Bug Fixes for SS6.4 submod and then your submod.
    Last edited by shambleresp; April 04, 2016 at 12:19 AM.

Blog Entries

First of all, you don't need the Bug Fix for SS6.4 with SSHIP. Not sure it creates a problem through.

You choose Early Era only for the setup when you install the submod. Then, when you start the game, you can choose Early Era or High Era.
    You can have a look on the map for High Era in here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	800.7 KB 
ID:	336091

No way, made a fresh install without Bug Fix for ss6.4 but all appear the same, is correct the situation in the picture?, you can see how Konstantinopoulus is Venetian and i have a fleet in his port, also i have only this 2 cities, ty.

Blog Entries

I think there's nothing wrong with your game. In 1236 AD, Konstantinopoulus was not part of the remaining ERE. I think MWY gave it to the Venetians to represent the Latin Empire.
    Just remember that the High Era is far less developped compare to the Early Era. That's still a beta version.

Icon14 Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    I think there's nothing wrong with your game. In 1236 AD, Konstantinopoulus was not part of the remaining ERE. I think MWY gave it to the Venetians to represent the Latin Empire.
    Just remember that the High Era is far less developped compare to the Early Era. That's still a beta version.
    Ok, tyvm Lifthrasir for your work and patience, go to enjoy the game

Blog Entries

For those who encounter troubles to download with Mega, I've added another link with Goole Drive in the OP of the relevant thread.

@ shambleresp, you're welcome

Decided to use the lull on the forum. Can you please answer how are you doing and when will be new release.

Im doing pretty good, thanks for asking.

Concerning SSHIP, we decided to put in a lot more stuff than we initially planned. So basically, it will be more like a new patch than a hotfix. We start some internal betatesting soon (you can participate if you want, just send me a pm), then we release a changelog here and soon after that the release will come.

mailmancer's Avatar Laetus

I just gotta say, I love the little details in this mod, i.e. capturing Edessa as the Byzantines and its name changing to Justinopolis. Really nice work guys.

Quote Originally Posted by MWY View Post
    Im doing pretty good, thanks for asking.

Concerning SSHIP, we decided to put in a lot more stuff than we initially planned. So basically, it will be more like a new patch than a hotfix. We start some internal betatesting soon (you can participate if you want, just send me a pm), then we release a changelog here and soon after that the release will come.
    So you can explain us what more stuff is planned? You could show us what details and new characters will have the new patch or this is a secret??
    Last edited by j.a.luna; April 10, 2016 at 04:11 AM.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Sorry if I missed this somewhere else, but I've made it far enough as Byzantium to be able to construct the gunsmith and the next canon building (forget what it's called), but constructing these does not enable me to recruit bombards. Did I miss something?

Can I post feedback here? I played a couple of campaigns with this submod. I think it looks/feels great but the balance seems really off...

Playing Aragon VH/VH:

-Certain units, like Berber pikemen, are broken. They slaughter everything, even mailed foot knights. Their morale also seems way too high (they were eager until about 90% dead, despite being surrounded)

-On campaign map, Moors in general seem unbalanced. They have more cities, units and money than anyone else. Their units are way too good... For example, they have some of the best heavy cav in the game available right at the start and very cheap.

-Their relations with Portugal are perfect, even though they are at war. This leads to a peace treaty on turn 2.

Playing Sicily:

Went on crusade with both of my armies. Pope attacked my undefended city for some reason, which resulted in excommunication, and both full-stack armies instantly disappeared to desertion. Not much else to say. :/

Blog Entries

Thank you for your feedback. I agree that the balance needs to be adjusted. We have already started with the missile units and will do our best to continue with others.

Berber pikemen will probably be removed since they were apparently unhistorical. You should still be able to shoot them down with bows/crossbows/javs in this patch.

Yes, moors seem unbalanced, and I tried and still try to make them weaker but historically they did control all those regions and cities. And yes, they do have good heavy cav (historically correct) but it is NOT cheap.

Oh wow. Their relations indeed are perfect. I must have missed a "-" infront of the relation between those two. I'm surprised no one mentioned that before you.

Well, sicily and the pope were not really on good terms in this age to say the least. If you then got an undefended city, why would he not invade?

Boogie Knight's Avatar Biarchus

Most of my games, Portugal and the Moors don't make peace but Portugal does get vassalised very early on. I figured this was just a natural evolution of their struggle, with Portugal being so tiny and the Moors so huge. That pact gets broken throughout, with Portugal usually allying then with either Leon and Castille or Aragon, breaking their vassal status and bringing them back into the war. They flip-flop in this regard every few turns until a balance is reached (usually with the Reconquista gathering steam) and they remain at war with the Moors indefinitely from that point onward.

On an unrelated note: I'd like to try a Hungarian campaign again; does anyone have any tips? I played about 70 turns of one on VH/VH and got my delicious ass handed to me on a platter by pretty much everyone around me. I'm still interested in medieval Hungary and I'd like to try again but I think I need to be more aggressive; or am I wrong? Any advice is gratefully received!

EDIT: I was thinking an early-era Hungarian campaign as that's what I failed at before, but I might actually try a late one instead. Would advice for this era be different?
    Last edited by Boogie Knight; April 11, 2016 at 02:45 PM.