Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

About knight's orders, I don't find them op in any sense because their recruitment is tied to your reputation(you can't train religious units with bad rep). And if you plan on taking any cities at all, you are going to have very bad rep ALL the time.

https:// mega.nz/file/D15RRaLR#QX0kGhFnvP29qF3WQHflTLkdipr5NXC7uFXqUqrTaVg

turn 140ish

I got couple questions:
    -I can only recruit one single priest with 3-4 churches, is it intended?
    -why cant I sometimes recruit on some cities while having the manpower to do so? I can queue the unit for recruitment, but it remains greyed out and wont actually recruit

Quote Originally Posted by zoran93 View Post
    About knight's orders, I don't find them op in any sense because their recruitment is tied to your reputation(you can't train religious units with bad rep). And if you plan on taking any cities at all, you are going to have very bad rep ALL the time.

if you simply occupy, it wont be that hard to maintain reputation tho, will it? In any case, I find unrealistic to be able to field even half a stack of templars early on (except as jerusalem ofc). Just my 2c :p

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by lequintal69 View Post
    I got couple questions:
    -I can only recruit one single priest with 3-4 churches, is it intended?
    -why cant I sometimes recruit on some cities while having the manpower to do so? I can queue the unit for recruitment, but it remains greyed out and wont actually recruit
    Yes, the number of priests is heavily cut down, it's described in a pop-out window.
    Recruitment sometimes is stalled because of building farms - not intended, will be fixed in the next version.

if you simply occupy, it wont be that hard to maintain reputation tho, will it? In any case, I find unrealistic to be able to field even half a stack of templars early on (except as jerusalem ofc). Just my 2c :p
    But it will be hard. I can't maintain ok rep with slow expansion and only occupying never in this mod. And religious units have very slow replenishment rate, so if you actually use them in combat you won't have full stacks of them. But I agree they shouldn't be available everywhere, but then maybe lift the reputation requirement for training.

Quote Originally Posted by zoran93 View Post
    I'm just thinking out loud, but wouldn't it be better to tie the recruitment of religious units to the relation status with the pope, for catholic faction? What do you think?
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats

How to create Stainless Steel units in campaign?

Hey everyone!

I just finished my last campaign. It was a lot of fun, but it was also tedious at times and very slow pased. I know that this is normal in a game such as this one.
    However, I have decided I want to play an OP campaign where I just dominate evrything. Just for some quick fun!

One problem though with creating armies: The unit ID's aren't always clear nor easy to find.

Does anyone know of a unit ID list for stainless steel OR where to find them?

All help would be grately appreciated.

Look inside the mod's data folder, there is a file called "export_descr_units.txt" where all the units are listed and there stats defined, you will find the names here!

Quote Originally Posted by Belovèse View Post
    Look inside the mod's data folder, there is a file called "export_descr_units.txt" where all the units are listed and there stats defined, you will find the names here!
    Thank you for the reply! Could I ask two more questions?

1: Which is the unit ID? the type or the dictionary or something else still?
    2: Is there anyway of looking up which one I need or do I have to go through the whole thing?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Belovèse View Post
    I'm just thinking out loud, but wouldn't it be better to tie the recruitment of religious units to the relation status with the pope, for catholic faction? What do you think?
    That would make much more sense. Reputation would be ok solution too if it was not so easy to lose and almost impossible to gain.

Reputation is easy to loose and easy to gain, one just need to wait a little having some allies. I usually try to get as much as possible, without hindering my conquest plans- so I don't need to break an alliance. If you keep your reputation on dubious, sometimes untrustworthy you can get some order units, I usually have a lot of them and I use them only for the city defenses and important battles, many times the enemy just seeing few hospitaler knight in the city gives up the siege.

The reputation system indeed needs a bit of work, maybe onday I'll find the time to complete my submod about it!

@FoundNoGamerTag: it is the "type" line you use in the console command if I recall correctly. And you can use the search function in the text editor you open the file with, searching for names or keywords (like "cavalry" or "archer") but that's all.

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

@FoundNoGamerTag : Sometimes, to find a unit whose name is displayed in the game, you have to go through the export_units file.This allows you to find the name used in export_descr_unit
    It is found here:
    data / text / export_units
    Example :
    Steppes as "true Turks". Nevertheless the Al-Haqa are important troops, often in service to their Amir alongside the Mamluks.
    {Al_Haqa_Infantry}Ahdath Sword Militia
    {Albanian_Cavalry_descr_short}Fierce light cavalry with spear and mace
    {Albanian_Cavalry_descr}Quality: Average.\nType: Mercenary (low recruitment and
    Knowing its different names makes it easier to find the unit you are looking for.

Hi Guys,

Apologies if this has been covered before.

I'm playing the .98 beta, been a long time sship fan but I've been playing DaC for the last while so I'm a little out of the loop on new changes.

Gave the Byzantines a look and paved roads say they take 30 turns to build, mines 12, farms 20. Is this correct or a bug?

It seems a strange design decision

anyone knows when late game units kick in? in my case, gothic knights ? I'm just passing turn, I'm at turn 260 and it's still only ResidentSleeper feudal knights

Nemesis2345's Avatar Semisalis

anyone knows when late game units kick in? in my case, gothic knights ? I'm just passing turn, I'm at turn 260 and it's still only ResidentSleeper feudal knights
    probably at around 500-600 turns , gothic knights are literally at the ,,end'' of the timeline , at around late 15th to early 16th centuries

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Blackfyre View Post
    Gave the Byzantines a look and paved roads say they take 30 turns to build, mines 12, farms 20. Is this correct or a bug?
    Paved roads - actually, we should disable this level of roads entirely. It's close to un-historical. 30 turns is a kind of concession.
    Mines - 12 is not so long, iirc in EB it was 40.
    Farms- every level is 20 (and there're more levels than before) because this is a major condition of any city to grow. At the same time, many regions start at level 3 (and in Al-Andalus, Egypt and Mesopotamia 5) to provide for the differences in the development accross Europe. Northern Europe will have to build farms for quite some time untill catches up with the South.

Thanks for getting back to me Jurand, I take your points on board.

Is there a thread that discussed it so I get a better idea of the reasoning and balancing decisions, I'm conscious I don't want to ask you to go through it all again here if it's been settled comprehensively elsewhere.

My feedback ( as little value as it may have, being only a fan and not a modder ) would be that gameplay balance should be considered more, 30 turns for a single building is an unreasonable amount of time. A better way to balance it might be to require other buildings to be constructed first ( stoneworks, maybe even a barracks to show the connection that most roads were for troop movement originally, or built by soldiers ). The idea being that you could delay their construction by 30 turns if you wish, but allow the player to still be progressing the city by spending 20 turns building other buildings and the final 10 being for roads themselves.

I will probably edit my own game to suit my preference anyway, so it's not from a selfish perspective I'm suggesting this. It may alienate the seemingly majority of players who only play a campaign for 150ish turns.

We are all here for historical accuracy, but if the game is not fun people won't play it and the mod will wither away eventually.

Exceedingly long construction times ( longer than any mod I've ever played,going right back to roma surrectum or EB for rome 1 ) are not a fun way to slow the pace of a campaign.

Good quality roads certainly existed in the timeframe, mostly byzantine lands and the middle east I grant you but as the game is sandbox in nature removing them completely seems an extreme step.

Just my two cents, not looking to ruffle feathers

The Byzantines never lost the ability to make paved roads, they just didn't need to build what wasn't lost, and the Arabs even had roads paved with tar built in the 700s.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Sship team friends, I made a series of proposals regarding the current Byzantine unit roster, I await your ideas and answers, to see what you think friends

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...4#post16057864
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW