Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

They're also in the EBII as villages.
    Me, I don't like those visuals. I like watchtowers, they convey they role "to watch". Villages are for different purpose, not reflected in the M2 engine.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

But they're absolutely not accurate. No one used watchtowers during that period. On contrary, villages can represent new settlements created due to the population growth, like in South West of France during the 13th century f.e.
    At least, that's more "realistic" than a watchtower and where you have inhabitants, you have an eye on what's going on in that area. So the purpose is respected gameplay wise
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

would be kinda cool if watchtowers could be replaced with villages that affect settlement income, so if you never bother clearing your provinces of rebels bandits etc rebels occupy your villages the same way they do with watchtowers and you lose income

Nemesis2345's Avatar Semisalis

i think devastation does that already, if an enemy army occupies your land too much they leave a grey area around them , thats devastation. Also if they sit on a road you will se your trade carts dissapearing at their feet meaning they affect trade on that route. It was a rometw feature

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis2345 View Post
    i think devastation does that already, if an enemy army occupies your land too much they leave a grey area around them , thats devastation. Also if they sit on a road you will se your trade carts dissapearing at their feet meaning they affect trade on that route. It was a rometw feature
    Absolutely agree.

On visuals: while watchtowers might be not the most historical, I find villages obscuring the map. In the EBII I never know if it's a resource, a provincial harbour or something different.

Furthermore, I'd devote the modding time of the team to fixing the existing issues. I think the SSHIP in the current state is a great game that you can make even more historical and interesting. And I don't expect a game giving a similar experience in terms of MA history and role-playing coming to the market (I find TATW and EBII and DeI and 1648 to be comparable in the other periods).

Kings and generals didn't run around and plant villages everywhere either, so it's no more or less historical than watchtowers, which at least represent some sort of gathering of information.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

VineFynn's Avatar Miles

Watchtowers are definitely not a personal gripe of mine.
    Real life is balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis2345 View Post
    supposedly, what happens in reality is that i build a watchtower in the middle of nowhere, rebels occupy it and sit there forever far way from roads and the damage caused by their devastation is pathetic at best

Quote Originally Posted by Dekhatres View Post
    supposedly, what happens in reality is that i build a watchtower in the middle of nowhere, rebels occupy it and sit there forever far way from roads and the damage caused by their devastation is pathetic at best
    do you know which paramater is to be changed to make it more palpable? (in the EBII it can be massive)

you mean the file ? it's settlement_mechanics

if you mean the values i am afraid you will have to tweak yourself according to your own preference and what you think is palpable but not massive

still i would much rather prefer a village system instead of simply a buff to devastation, i understand if it's no possible to be done ofc

Blog Entries

Actually, it can be done but based on the PSF principle. Not convinced that it would be a good thing for the gameplay
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

JoC has made a patch fixing the issue about the priests being at sea (see here). I have also updated the download page accordingly (here).

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    Actually, it can be done but based on the PSF principle. Not convinced that it would be a good thing for the gameplay
    that's fine

Laetus

Would not it makes more sense to put fort and not villages to replace the unhistorical watchtowers models ?

Forts and watchtowers are basically the same things but forts are more accurate in the medieval settings of SSHIP I guess.

Blog Entries

Gents, note that I've updated the download page with the latest patch of JoC

@ rflo93, the main issue with forts is that the AI is unable to use them with efficiency.

Laetus

the main issue with forts is that the AI is unable to use them with efficiency.
    Oh sure, I meant that if you don't like the watchtower models because they are historicaly innacurate why not put a fort instead ? But we are still talking about watchtowers for sure.

Blog Entries

Please note that JoC has made a patch that solves the issues causing ctd's. It can be found here.

I wonder why you guys removed free upkeep? Especially with the fact that units are more expensive, how do you guys maintain your econs?

Blog Entries

Unrealistic as any unit has a cost to be at least maintained and favorizing the player a bit too much as the AI can't handle it correctly.

So, you will have to find the right balance between economy and public order while managing your armies (using expensive units only for war and dismantling them in peace).
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; December 15, 2019 at 11:15 PM.

Unrealistic as any unit has a cost to be at least maintained and favorizing the player a bit too much as the AI can't handle it correctly.
    is this realistic tho ?

Code:
    recruits_morale_bonus bonus 2 requires event_counter is_the_ai 
    happiness_bonus bonus 1 requires event_counter is_the_ai 
    law_bonus bonus 5 requires event_counter is_the_ai 
    religion_level bonus 2 requires event_counter is_the_ai
    construction_cost_bonus_wooden bonus 20 requires event_counter is_the_ai
    Cairo is making 15k denars under Ai control, i take control of Egypt with console and now Cairo is making only 9.8k

favorizing the player a bit too much