Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'd like to help with proofreading texts

Default I'd like to help with proofreading texts

Hello fellow SSHIP fans and modders,

I love this mod and the comprehensive historical context it gives us through a number of messages and texts. However, I did notice some grammar and spelling errors here and there.
    For some reason, I'm obsessed with correct spelling, which is a blessing in my profession as a translator. Therefore, I would like to help this mod on its way to perfection and proofread all the texts it adds to the game. And, if I may, I would also like to improve some of the writing.

I would need a little help with finding the different texts, though, as I have very little knowledge of where everything is in the files.

I found this one in data/text/export_vnvs.txt.

And I found the historic messages that pop up especially in the first 100 turns in data/text/historic_events.txt.
    Here's an example of what I would change to improve the writing a little bit.

Obviously we would need a system to track the changes. Maybe I could write down everything here? Would you be okay with that?
    Let me know what you think.

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: I'd like to help with proofreading texts

This is a great initiative! Personally, being French with a low level of English, I am unable to spot most of the spelling mistakes.
    A good part of the texts are found in data/text
    Once these texts have been corrected, you will need to use the .bin file eraser for the game to load them correctly.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Hi Michael,
    that's very kind of you to provide assistance for the mod! Actually, after Kilo11 has given up on correcting them, we badly need to have somebody for working on the text files!
    I'll send you the current working txt files for corrections on Monday - I don't have access to them right now.
    Please use Notepad++ as this it doesn't leave traces that would break the game.
    cheers
    JoC
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Hi Jurand,
    that's wonderful. And yes, I'll use Notepad++. I've already been using it, so no problem.

Hi Michael,
    here you've got the whole folder with the text files - for the next edition.
    Let's make it so that we refrain from making changes in any of these until you tell us you're done with changes, or we write it explicitely here in this thread (this is in case there's no message from you, I'll ask you a few days before :-).
    Most of the text is contained in this file:
    historic_events.txt
    but you may have a look at buildings, ancillaries, vnvs.
    Making changes to the units' descriptions makes less sense as this is bound to change due to the review of rosters.
    cheers
    JoC
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Thank you, Jurand.

Wow, that is a lot of text. I'm not sure, how long this will take me; I will do my best to go through them quickly. But yeah, we'll need to coordinate if anyone makes any changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Westen View Post
    Thank you, Jurand.

Wow, that is a lot of text. I'm not sure, how long this will take me; I will do my best to go through them quickly. But yeah, we'll need to coordinate if anyone makes any changes.
    no, no, don't do all of it. Just pick what you think is problematic. Actually, parts of the text is not even used (those starting with that funny sign that indicates they're inactive)

Ok, then I will do the pop-outs first, as I've noticed a lot of mistakes there. And after that, I'll see about the other stuff.

For ther future, @Michael and others: if you feel like to, you may add historical events to the SSHIP. It's very simple.
    (1) you write description - you've got the text files, so you see it: just two entries: title and text.
    (2) the date for the event to pop-out may be encoded in:
    - either "descr_events.txt"
    - or "campaign_script.txt"
    both in folder: \mods\SSHIP_098\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign

It's easier in the first one - there's a kind of guide how to do it.
    The script file enables linking an event to something happening. It's also not so difficult but it's better to start with the first way.

As we're working on these files you it'd be better if you post here the code to be introduced - after some experience together we can find way to make it easier.

(3) add a picture for the event - it's the work of @Cephalophore but as he's moderately active, I always create mine that migh be change by him.
    Pictures are culture-related and to be found in subfolders of this one:
    \mods\SSHIP_098\data\ui
    You'll easily find your way. The issue is the pics have to be .tga format and of width no more thant 480p, I usually use 367p. The best hight is around 200p.

--------------
    Why it popped to my mind - I was just reading about Valentia's Església Catedral-Basílica Metropolitana de l'Assumpció de la Mare de Déu. We can make a nice event that will pop-out when the player builds a cathedral in Valentia (this would be in the script, in this part). But somebody has to write description and find the pic.

Sometimes I would like to look at how the format of a message looks. Is there a quick way for me to check the messages' layout in-game? Can I make them show up at the start of a new campaign?

Edit: Is this it in campaign_script.txt? Do I just insert the title of the message I want to see and it will pop up (provided I choose easy difficulty)?

Last edited by Michael Westen; December 03, 2023 at 02:07 PM.

Message layout - you have to test it yourself indeed, no way to pre-view.
    Indeed, this file is teh scipt and you can put here "historic_event NAMEOFEVENT". Mind that it'd be just testing, as we have our woring file "script" where constant changes are being made.

Hello, i would also love to provide assistance with proofreading and editing. Is this file the correct one to download and start working on or is there a slightly more updated one. Would hate to start doing stuff if someone else has already done parts.

Hi Birdie!

Thank you for offering your help! It is greatly appreciated.

Since I'm the one proofreading and editing now, I will share my progress.

So far I've been looking at the file historic_events.txt, more specifically the pop-outs. I've started at line 1918 and am now at line 2118. My plan is to go through to the end of the main pop-outs, which is line 2168 ("SSHIP BODY").

There are many messages before and after that, which could be looked at. I don't know how important they are. Maybe Jurand can give his opinion.

There are a few rules I've established to maintain a common style.

1. avoid parentheses and instead integrate the content into the main text, whenever possible
    2. replace quotation marks (") with apostrophes (')
    3. avoid the word "money" and replace it with "funds" or "florins"
    4. generally try to use words that fit better into the atmosphere of the game
    5. always use this dash (–) with no spaces before and after (eg. "Costs of moving the capital–increases with the size of the faction")
    6. bullet points beginning with (*) always have a space before and after (eg. _*_[text])

If you want to look at what I've done so far, here's my most recent version of historic_events.txt.

Edit: I've deleted the prompt for ChatGPT. Recently, I had very little success with it. However, I found that I get the best results simply by asking "Is this good English? Please correct the text where appropriate."
    This gives me a text that is not too far off from the original or overly complicated, and has a very good quality.
    Last edited by Michael Westen; January 24, 2024 at 01:59 PM.

awesome Michael !

I have started working on the faction info scroll pop ups, I have made it about halfway through them so far (line 478 ~ 745 )

A quick question, are we using American English or British English to keep a common style. As I am American I have been using American spellings.

That's great!

As far as I've seen, we're using American English. That's also the one I prefer.

I was just looking through export_vnvs.txt, which contains all tooltips and descriptions for the characters and their traits. At first, I changed all of it to American English, but then it dawned on me that it would maybe look weird in-game and changed it back to British English.

I'm debating whether we should keep everything related to the UI in British English, and use American English only for the messages.

Or change everything to BE, since it would be in sync with the rest of the game? It would be doable. Notepad++ has a spellcheck plugin that makes this relatively easy.

Thoughts, anyone?

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

@Michael Westen : I don't know what stage you're at with the corrections, but if you have any new files, our project manager @Jurand would like to integrate them into the new version.

Yes, of course. Let me give an overview of what I've done:

- edited and spellchecked the pop-outs in historic_events.txt from line 1918 to 2118 (AE)
    - spellchecked export_vnvs, export_buildings and export_ancillaries (all in BE)

@Birdie
    Could you upload your file and tell me what you've proofread? I will then merge the two files and upload everything together.

Hello, I started with the Faction Info pop ups, so lines 477 - 953 and jumped back up and started doing the new events / Muslim scholars and got about half way through the Latin education and science sections 100 - 225. I was moving the title line above the body line as i was going just as a marker to see what i have done.

Here is the link to the Historic_Events.txt
    https://www.dropbox.com/t/jrxltNRhmzQHa3QM

Thank you very much for your efforts, Birdie!

Here are the four files that were touched.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast