Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Any chance SSHIP uses two independent family trees for that faction?
    no idea

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    I got a few times the message that "Knezevina Srbija" is the richest faction, using tow cheat, I see that they have 3 regions, is that some kind of script to help them out? Just wondering, cause they seem always at that strength.
    I haven't seen anything like this in the code, but it's 52k lines long so it may lurks somewhere.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

They most likely have nothing to spend their income on. Have a look in the faction graphs how much money they actually have. If everyone else has only 500 then having 600 makes you the richest.

Okay makes sense for me.

Papacy, is it acting like a "normal" faction? Since I its at war with its neighbors, which seems dreadful for Italian factions since they must be at war with the pope.

Nemesis2345's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    Okay makes sense for me.

Papacy, is it acting like a "normal" faction? Since I its at war with its neighbors, which seems dreadful for Italian factions since they must be at war with the pope.
    Yes, the Papal States are acting like a normal faction , they actually can snowball out of control ,which is why IS YOUR DUTY TO SAVE THIS WORLD AND SEND HIM TO SARDINIA where he can bother nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis2345 View Post
    Yes, the Papal States are acting like a normal faction , they actually can snowball out of control ,which is why IS YOUR DUTY TO SAVE THIS WORLD AND SEND HIM TO SARDINIA where he can bother nobody.
    The Papacy is indeed a normal faction, and a rather rude one at that. In a playthrough as Venice, the Papacy declared war on me for no reason, and then I had to deal with all the bother of being excommunicated (which was not my fault!). I only got things back to normal by killing the pope that excommunicated me in a battle, and then camping assassins around Rome and assassinating every new Pope that popped up until one finally made peace with me and reconciled my faction. The upside of it all was that my Doge of Venice had something like 8 popes killed in less than 5 years. So that was amusing.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Does anybody knows any mod that has solved / programmed the pope's behaviour in a right way?

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Does anybody knows any mod that has solved / programmed the pope's behaviour in a right way?
    How much impact do the first lines of the desc_strat file actually make on each faction? I am talking about the lines that say things like "Builder" or "Smith" or whatever in relation to the faction's general attributes. Can one calm down the papacy by tactfully picking certain faction traits in that section of the coding?
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

I'm using Piter's AI for Bellum Crucis with some other mod, and the Pope is pretty chill.

I won't share his code, but papal_faction ai_label in descr_campaign_ai_db.xml cannot invade catholic factions and neutral neighbours.
    I compared it to SSHIP's ai file and SSHIP it doesn't have this, plus it's really elaborate for a supposedly passive faction.

Quote Originally Posted by Just let me post View Post
    I'm using Piter's AI for Bellum Crucis with some other mod, and the Pope is pretty chill.

I won't share his code, but papal_faction ai_label in descr_campaign_ai_db.xml cannot invade catholic factions and neutral neighbours.
    I compared it to SSHIP's ai file and SSHIP it doesn't have this, plus it's really elaborate for a supposedly passive faction.
    I was thinking about trying piter's AI for sship, is it working nicely? how hard it is in very hard setting?.

I haven't tried it with SSHIP for three reasons:

1) I was afraid it would break carefully prepared ai (which works great with this papal exception) - and definitely don't use descr_campaign_db.xml

2) Piter's AI is really aggresive and open-minded (catholic-muslim alliances are common). You need to add some limitations in (Ultimate AI has nice religion locks)

3) It's really hard. Perfect if you play more casual mod (dac, vanilla-like) but maybe not the best choice here

You may split the Milan region in 2, Piedmont and Lombardy. Historically they were two very distinct and important regions, and northern Italy was the most densely populated "country" in Europe, so it could be fitting. If you already reached the limit you could eliminate one of the most sparsely populated regions or an island region, afaik the AI doesn't handle island regions very well.

faction papal_states, religious smith
    ai_label papal_faction
    denari -2500000
    denari_kings_purse -50000

IDK if it's "right" or not. Keeps him quiet on the military front. Crusades seem to be more often. I park a diplomat outside of Rome and tribute 100/20 and maintain outstanding or better with him even if I skip Crusades.

Quote Originally Posted by george0433 View Post
    faction papal_states, religious smith
    ai_label papal_faction
    denari -2500000
    denari_kings_purse -50000

IDK if it's "right" or not. Keeps him quiet on the military front. Crusades seem to be more often. I park a diplomat outside of Rome and tribute 100/20 and maintain outstanding or better with him even if I skip Crusades.
    I can hear all popes that have lived rolling in their graves

Quote Originally Posted by Just let me post View Post
    I can hear all popes that have lived rolling in their graves
    absolutely heretical

Quote Originally Posted by Aper View Post
    You may split the Milan region in 2, Piedmont and Lombardy. Historically they were two very distinct and important regions, and northern Italy was the most densely populated "country" in Europe, so it could be fitting. If you already reached the limit you could eliminate one of the most sparsely populated regions or an island region, afaik the AI doesn't handle island regions very well.
    While I think find this a very pertinent arguments, I think many such issues were discussed for years in the past (before I'd joined the SSHIP), and frankly speaking I don't think anybody would devote time to removing and adding provinces.

So Jurand, what about re-introducing Next Heir Ancillary, or at least Princess of the court for 0.98. So we can have a bit more control over family tree.

Alternatively, maybe you could just add a bunch of authority/piety to the "of royal family" traits so those guys have bigger chance to be selected as heir

Btw, I'm turn 185 as France and having a blast. Mongols just spawn and I cant wait to see how they act.

one thing: Some of my generals have Abhors construction and active builder traits at the same time. It's possible to roleplay an explanation for that I guess, but its a bit weird still

I've got no idea his the Princess of the court would provide more control over family tree.

Next heir is possible.

I'll have a look at Abhors construction and active builder traits, thanks!

I've got no idea his the Princess of the court would provide more control over family tree.

!
    For when game is stubborn and keeps proposing you adoptions, but no wives for your royal bloodline generals.
    But I would rather take next heir ancillary if I had to chose, ofc !

Quote Originally Posted by lequintal69 View Post
    For when game is stubborn and keeps proposing you adoptions, but no wives for your royal bloodline generals.
    But I would rather take next heir ancillary if I had to chose, ofc !
    In the changelog for 097:

PRINCESS SPAWN SCRIPT fixed
    * the goal of this script is to provide player with another aspect of the game: royal marriages. Without the script the princesses are very rare after the initial phase of the game. As a result, the player never bothers with marriages. Now the princesses are numerous thus the player should activelly seek to marry-off his FL and FH, or use his own ladies for diplomacy.
    - previously (introduced in 096): there’s a script giving each AI faction a Princess with 0 charm every 14 years, starting after 1162 (each faction gets it in a different turn, so the Cumans get one in 1176 at the earliest) in either of two place for each faction. They were without any trait, with Charm 0, and frequently nameless. No info appears, you need find them.
    - after fixing (097): Noble Ladies start appearing after 1152; for each faction one lady is spawned for every generation (slightly more than 20 years (it's stochastic: may be longer or shorter). There are 6 types of ladies for each faction, ie each has a different name, different traits and the resulting different level of Charm (1-6). Each of them gets an epitaph “the Noble Lady” (it distinguish them from the born-in-family princesses; it has no impact on the game for the AI princesses, while for the player it means they're not in the family tree). There's an information window popping-out about the ladies spawned with the highest charm (5 or 6).
    - future work: make an interactive event for the player to get a noble lady against a payment. Or introduce the Royal Ladies of the Court submod.
    - the traits of the princess have not yet been reviewed. There're rather painful anti-trait + NGB bugs so the Ladies may even be better to be married than the normally born princesses.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; July 26, 2020 at 03:27 PM.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

I am noticing the crusader states are churning out armies almost purely made out of knight orders, shouldn't these be top tier elite units?