Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Ok Lifth i will make it... and if someone want support me is welcome hehe
    I will post in my thread of new factions units rosters and first a list of removed units for useless,duplicated or non historical units
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Thanks a lot for that
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Navajo Joe View Post
    The removal of Ireland as always generated much discussion and debate. As part of SS Team that saw the removal of Ireland for 6.3, let me give you the logic:

1. As at 6.3, the lack of land bridges meant that they stayed on their Ireland and the AI as England, Scotland, Norway and France did not bother attacking them.
    2. We considered that their were too many Catholic factions,which we wanted to dilute with more Muslim & Orthodox factions to create a balance.
    3. The inclusion of Ireland was really a by product of Kingdoms Britannia Campaign.

I did campaign for inclusion of Wales in SS, I believed there case for inclusion was more than Ireland, just look at the amount of castles that were built to subdue them. There are more castles in Wales per square mile, than anywhere else.

We also considered the removal of Portugal, as Iberian peninsula was too crowded, also Norway, but naturally the SS fanbase that were Portuguese or Scandinavian had a large problem with this.

We also must remember that this a very old game now, with limitations on what can be done

J.A Luna,

You might go thru the Units that are available and flag to Lifth and MWY, why they should be removed with a good rationale.
    I also suggested removing portugal for some more muslim/orthodox faction.

@Luna I will help you with useless units, i anyway making some lists since long ago (like that list for example)

Boogie Knight's Avatar Biarchus

Going back to the discussion a few pages ago of a 1300AD start date - is that just for the late campaign? Because I really, really like the current early campaign start date of 1132. The "long twelfth century" (I'm still not sure why it's referred to that way) was a time of huge significance. Any later than that and you start to lose the Normans and - utter bloody scoundrels though they were - they're vital to the medieval period.

1300AD is not existing in sship. only 1132 and 1236(if i remeber good). Yea, you lose normans, but you get plenty of other things. And way better campaing map balance. Everything has its + and -

Quote Originally Posted by achilles-91 View Post
    1300AD is not existing in sship. only 1132 and 1236(if i remeber good). Yea, you lose normans, but you get plenty of other things. And way better campaing map balance. Everything has its + and -
    I know it's not in there at the moment, I'm asking: are people asking for the late campaign to be moved to that date, or the early one? Because moving the late campaign I can understand; early, less so. There'd hardly be any time between the campaigns if you had one at 1236 and another at 1300; the gap would be negligible, and a waste of the work that has gone into the 1132 campaign.

+Marius+'s Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Crossbowmen considerations

Quote Originally Posted by tmodelsk View Post
    Crossbowmen are loading their crossbows just before first time ordered to shot, it takes a while. I think they should enter battlefield already with loaded crossbows, crossbows ready to fire.
    It is possible and was done by a modder who is, unfortunately no longer active and his files lost.
    We tried contacting him multiple times for including precisely that in Titanium, but he is unresponsive.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Knight View Post
    if you had one at 1236 and another at 1300
    In my opinion, the late era should be as close to 1300 as possible, anything closer to 1241 will result in a Mongol superstate which will take out many AI factions that the human player will not be able to war with himself.

Hmm, that would be a way to free up faction slots, if they were already gone and the east was all mongols. Uh huh...

Well, as long as all this dissection is happening to the late campaign and you're leaving the early one in 1132 you could make a Martian faction for all I care.

Henry X's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I don't think anyone is removing the early campaign.

By the way, Serbia is a really fun faction to play as.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Jung was right View Post
    We just don't get films which accurately portray military decision making like Dr. Strangelove anymore these days.

Default SSHIP final Version?

I found SSHIP 1/2 jear ago-installed it, played it with big fun. I find it is the ideal combination of all possible features in Medieval 2,- Great work!!
    My question to the SSHIP team:
    Is this the final version, or are you working on further improvements?
    Anyway- Thanks for your excellent work!

Default Re: SSHIP final Version?

The team is continuously working to improve the mod.
    A new patch is under way.

Blog Entries

Default Re: SSHIP final Version?

Until there's no modder anymore willing or able to do so
    Anyway, this is no the case for SSHIP and even if we're progressing slowly, we're still on it.

PS: to be moved to the General Discussion thread. Thanks
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Default Just some feedback.

Hey guys, tried out your mod.

Love the map and detail that was put into it. Also the overall design of units, environment, factions.

Some negative feedback from a person just tries your mod for the first time:

- Battles are too short? Literally they finish in 5-10 mins. Cavalry is TOO Strong. Everything died really fast. Im playing on Vh/Vh.

- Playing as Novgorod. I make 10k per turn, and have 3 full stack armies. Making cash is way too easy, and I just hold 7 provinces.

- Rebels are more aggressive then AI Apparently. Honestly I get attacked by rebels more then enemy AI.

Am I missing some point here, or it was supposed to be likes this?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Just some feedback.

First, you could have used the General Discussion thread instead of creating one. To be moved.

Second, what's your level of difficulty in your game? H/H or VH/VH? If you play M/M, that can explain why it is that easy to get cash.
    Rebels are a lot more active than in SS. It has been done on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    First, you could have used the General Discussion thread instead of creating one. To be moved.

Second, what's your level of difficulty in your game? H/H or VH/VH? If you play M/M, that can explain why it is that easy to get cash.
    Rebels are a lot more active than in SS. It has been done on purpose.
    - Battles are too short? Literally they finish in 5-10 mins. Cavalry is TOO Strong. Everything died really fast. Im playing on Vh/Vh.
    Please re-read my post, I clearly noticed that.

Trade with a lot of factions, traders on every closest node, focus on economy first, mines and all that stuff. And this is on Vh/Vh.

Cavalry charge into allied / enemy spear-men wall 60% of enemy unit dies, and that if from Front, im not even talking about charge from the back.

Won a battle with 100 cavalry (two units) versus 1400 rebel army. Just charge spammed them, gg.

I understand cavalry charge, mass and all that, but they are not made of solid rock to have a mass like that, and this is just general unit plus Novgorodian Druzhina unit.

What to expect from Cataphracts or dare I even say elephants?

And rebels wise its great, they attack cities, make raids e.t.c. Amazing. However my neighbor after 50 turns ( Lithuania ) still had one half a stack unit of forces, didnt take any settlements around them and just stood there silently before i silenced them forever.

Not trying to sound bad or anything, just my observations over first time playing your mod, besides this is just start of campaign, maybe something changes down the road. Thank you for effort!
    Last edited by c.ryo; July 13, 2016 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by c.ryo View Post
    Cavalry charge into allied / enemy spear-men wall 60% of enemy unit dies, and that if from Front, im not even talking about charge from the back.

Won a battle with 100 cavalry (two units) versus 1400 rebel army. Just charge spammed them, gg.

I understand cavalry charge, mass and all that, but they are not made of solid rock to have a mass like that, and this is just general unit plus Novgorodian Druzhina unit.

What to expect from Cataphracts or dare I even say elephants?

besides this is just start of campaign, maybe something changes down the road.
    Hmm, hadn't thought of it as Linear Charge Smulator 2016.

Later on you get even stronger charge cavalry, and spearmen don't really improve much... until you reach the age of pikemen I would guess. Where you presumably shoot them up and charge everything else to death as pikemen walk really slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by c.ryo View Post
    Hey guys, tried out your mod.

Love the map and detail that was put into it. Also the overall design of units, environment, factions.

Some negative feedback from a person just tries your mod for the first time:

- Playing as Novgorod. I make 10k per turn, and have 3 full stack armies. Making cash is way too easy, and I just hold 7 provinces.

- Rebels are more aggressive then AI Apparently. Honestly I get attacked by rebels more then enemy AI.

Am I missing some point here, or it was supposed to be likes this?

units dying too fast has always been the dealbreaker for me too in SS, i currently started working a bit again on my submod to make combat longer this time with a bit of succes tho

i am also working on a solution to make professional spearman resilient to cav charge, so far the best working one is to reduce attack and increase defence so that their melee capabilites remain intact while they become much tougher to kill from the front, also considering a small nerf to cav charge like -1 attack and a -2 charge

i think the problem with big unit upkeep costs and big income is that it's hard to predict how it will scale, you make decent income then build some buildings and the income suddenly skyrockets thus some factions end up drowning in gold while others are forever in debt

Blog Entries

@ C.ryo, sorry, I missed the "vh/vh". I must review my strategy while playing because I never make that much of money

Regarding cavalry charge, they are supposed to be less powerful than in SS. But yes, they still need some adjustments like some other units' stats.

@ Dekhatres, another solution that might help would be to find a way to break the cavalry formation when they charge. If they're in "loose" formation, they should be less effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    @ Dekhatres, another solution that might help would be to find a way to break the cavalry formation when they charge. If they're in "loose" formation, they should be less effective.
    Ironically, I think when it comes to receiving a charge, having your unit in a messy and loose formation may help, as a neat (rectangle/line) tight formation allows the charging knights to kill a lot more people.

Also, if it's out in the open, having your men immediately run to the side or just run away works as well, as it messes with the charging animation/mechanic.