Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

How do you guys get money in this mod? I feel like I can't conquer anything bc I don't have enough troops to go against factions and I can't build anything bc I have no money

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

How do you guys get money in this mod? I feel like I can't conquer anything bc I don't have enough troops to go against factions and I can't build anything bc I have no money
    Overall: Be patient.

1- If you play in VH / VH mode, know that an army in the countryside costs you dearly, so conquer in stages.

2- Watch the price of the most expensive units (vassals come to fight for free but keeping them in the field is very expensive !)

3- Take the time to develop non-military structures and make trade deals to increase your income...

Good luck and welcome to SSHIP !!!

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Palaiogos View Post
    Yes, you need to be very careful with money, don't recruit heavy troops, keep you militias in the settlements with free upkeep.
    Have a look how few heavy units I could afford in 092 - and in 097 it's even more difficult.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

nashpik's Avatar Libertus

Hi guys.
    Can anybody point me in the right direction for a 4tpy modification? As in what files need editing and what do I have to be careful about balancing wise?
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidofLaSalle View Post
    For some reason, my previous generation of family members all decided to become unfaithful at the same time. All my new male family members that come of age are illegitimate. I thought this was interesting. I was wondering what actions promote the appearance of illegitimate children? Any information would be welcome.
    Thank you again!
    All the best, DoL
    There's nothing wrong with that, we Portuguese just like to have fun with woman (thankfully my girlfriend doesn't have a total war account )

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    There's nothing wrong with that, we Portuguese just like to have fun with woman (thankfully my girlfriend doesn't have a total war account )
    i think that are both, spanish and portuguese
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Quote Originally Posted by nashpik View Post
    Hi guys.
    Can anybody point me in the right direction for a 4tpy modification? As in what files need editing and what do I have to be careful about balancing wise?
    Thank you.
    My advice was in this entry.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Guys, this is really something. Turn 545, year 1404. It's really worth seeing.

@David - make a report how it was like playing Portugal for such a long time and creating such a nice empire.
    I tested the Portugal year 1404/545 turns part of DavidofLaSalle and I even covered 5 turns with 3 battles in real time without the slightest bug.

If you want more details see here.

Yes, you need to be very careful with money, don't recruit heavy troops, keep you militias in the settlements with free upkeep.
    Wait, there is free upkeep? Where? I have Paris and looking through the walls and buildings, I don't see free upkeep

Back to this mod, with the new last version. I decided to play Venise in H/H, and I went to do a 3 hours session
    So just a message to thanks for continuing this absolute amazing mod, I really enjoying every seconds.

Oh and I am using the sub-mod KCC, with GEM, it is so beautiful for such an old game !

Quote Originally Posted by Palaiogos View Post
    Wait, there is free upkeep? Where? I have Paris and looking through the walls and buildings, I don't see free upkeep
    Code:
        wooden_wall city requires factions { northern_european, southern_european, eastern_european, greek, middle_eastern, } and building_present_min_level logging_camp logging_camp    {
          convert_to 2
          capability
          {
    ;---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; WOODEN WALL - GENERAL             
            wall_level 1
            gate_strength 2
            tower_level 1
            free_upkeep bonus 2 requires not factions { mongols, cumans, }
    but only for a very limited number of units - militias

Nemesis2345's Avatar Semisalis

I would like to suggest lowering the construction time of the Carpenter , Stonesman Hut , Wooden Camp and Site Huts to HALF ( From 12 turns to 6 for example) because they are not rly big or complex buildings in reality . This can be offsided by increasing the build time of other buildings instead that are indeed , more complex .

Good idea! If I remember buildings are due for a rework sometime.
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis2345 View Post
    I would like to suggest lowering the construction time of the Carpenter , Stonesman Hut , Wooden Camp and Site Huts to HALF ( From 12 turns to 6 for example) because they are not rly big or complex buildings in reality . This can be offsided by increasing the build time of other buildings instead that are indeed , more complex .
    The issue here is to keep the balance in the game. If you make the building times too short then you promote a hording behaviour: the player would keep very little troops, build up it's economy, gather recruitment pools, and then suddenly build up all the troops and rush the map. Longer building times is one of the tools to make such a behaviour less likely, especially if it would be combined with a kind of inflation script (you've got too much money, you may extra fees).
    So building times are one of the elements to adjust but with much thinking behind.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; January 29, 2021 at 04:46 PM.

One thing I have noticed is that since Feudal Troops are free (to recruit), they seem to be free to bribe and also generate no money from a ransom. Most mercenaries on the other hand are the opposite; extremely expensive in these events. Just a note.

Titanium mod has certain preplaced Stone Forts in historic areas representing minor cities, would you consider adding this as well? In that mod generals can also build stone forts, which I did not like. I thought it was a good touch, but on the the other hand the AI does not handle them too well.

Quote Originally Posted by Steward Denethor II View Post
    One thing I have noticed is that since Feudal Troops are free (to recruit), they seem to be free to bribe and also generate no money from a ransom. Most mercenaries on the other hand are the opposite; extremely expensive in these events. Just a note.

Titanium mod has certain preplaced Stone Forts in historic areas representing minor cities, would you consider adding this as well? In that mod generals can also build stone forts, which I did not like. I thought it was a good touch, but on the the other hand the AI does not handle them too well.
    Thanks for this remark - indeed, this is one of the unintended consequences of the 0-price. I'm getting more and more convinced that it's not the best idea and perhaps 50% recruitment prices should be applied.

On the Stone Forts - see one of the links in my sig, there're reasons listed why not to have them.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Nemesis2345's Avatar Semisalis

Thanks for this remark - indeed, this is one of the unintended consequences of the 0-price. I'm getting more and more convinced that it's not the best idea and perhaps 50% recruitment prices should be applied.

On the Stone Forts - see one of the links in my sig, there're reasons listed why not to have them.
    I wouldnt mind that change on feudal upkeep , i also noticed the AI is much more prone to spamming feudal troops since they cost nothing . Would be interesting to see how it works out.

Forts quick explination on why they dont work - The player can quickly cheese the AI into blocking pathways indefinetely and also the AI prefers to guard forts rather than their cities /castles , leaving them with no garrison.

50% sounds good, maybe reduce upkeep slightly to compensate.

Yeah, I was not thinking about having buildable stone forts. That is unbalanced and unrealistic. I was only mentioning certain preplaced forts that are historical minor settlements. Titanium mod had them and called them minor settlements; they even had their real names. It was fun but unfortunately that the AI is bad with forts; might be better to not do that.

Currently in the mod your reputation goes in the toilet when you conquer other settlements. This makes sense in most situations, but would it be possible to remove this reputation penalty when fighting against incompatible religions? For example Catholics would not get reputation loss for attacking Muslims/Pagans; Muslims for attacking non-Muslims, etc. The reason is that I think these would have been considered legitimate targets for conquest.

If impossible, maybe instead of a reputation loss there should be a big relationship loss. So when you conquer a region ruled by a certain religion, you get a big relationship penalty with the other factions of that religion. This includes your own religion; meaning if you as a Catholic conquer a lot of other Catholics, your relationship with other Catholics will be Abysmal, but Muslims and Pagans won't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Steward Denethor II View Post
    50% sounds good, maybe reduce upkeep slightly to compensate.

Yeah, I was not thinking about having buildable stone forts. That is unbalanced and unrealistic. I was only mentioning certain preplaced forts that are historical minor settlements. Titanium mod had them and called them minor settlements; they even had their real names. It was fun but unfortunately that the AI is bad with forts; might be better to not do that.

Currently in the mod your reputation goes in the toilet when you conquer other settlements. This makes sense in most situations, but would it be possible to remove this reputation penalty when fighting against incompatible religions? For example Catholics would not get reputation loss for attacking Muslims/Pagans; Muslims for attacking non-Muslims, etc. The reason is that I think these would have been considered legitimate targets for conquest.

If impossible, maybe instead of a reputation loss there should be a big relationship loss. So when you conquer a region ruled by a certain religion, you get a big relationship penalty with the other factions of that religion. This includes your own religion; meaning if you as a Catholic conquer a lot of other Catholics, your relationship with other Catholics will be Abysmal, but Muslims and Pagans won't care.
    Forts:
    - pre-placed forts in some spots could go, but they would be in the areas with very rare regular settlements (so not in Western / Southern Europe) so it neither would please the players, not be very much historical.
    - on the other hand, I think that buildable (these would disappear after vacated) fort with prohibitive price (20-40k) could be an option for they could be dump for unwanted money.

@everybody: if you've got an opinion on the forts, answer in this thread.

Reputation - @Belovese is working on it. See another thread.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; January 31, 2021 at 04:03 AM.