Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Hi @xeron, version 097 will do this (soon to come, hopefully)
    MERCHANTS
    * the goal of these changes is to limit the increase of time the player deals with the merchants as the faction grows. The fewer merchants but each providing more income will be good for playing experience.
    - availability limited to a few per faction. They'll be provided by:
    (1) each capital (ie if you take another faction capital, you can recruit an additional merchant)
    (2) guilds: Merchants, Explorers & Hanseatic (only after Ostsiedlung event).
    (3) large cities in North Italy and in the Low Countries (if Warehouse is built).
    (4) all huge coastal cities (if Docklands are built).
    - information windows on their impact have been included.
    - the traits of the merchants have not yet been reviewed after 092, but they seem to work more-or-less ok.

what direction should we take regarding global reputation? Right now, it can drop really fast to despicable which make it hard to have successful diplomacy with anyone in midgame.
    Are you guys satisfying with it (because it makes the game harder) or do you think it should be tweaked?

My opinion: I would like to try a setup where reputation normalised faster towards neutral reputation (even if you are an already big kingdom).
    Exterminating population/breaking alliance could still give a huge malus, but atleast, your rep wouldnt be destroyed forever. Because right now (at least in my experience), mid game is already somewhat of a grind because no one accept peace nor does alliance with you. It might be good for difficulty but is a bit tiresome.

Did you guys feel the same? Share your experience or ideas about it, i'm curious!

I like it the way it is, but I'm probably the wrong person to ask, since I always play on VH/VH difficulty. The solution is actually quite simple: money talks Bribe your neighbors with up to 10k gold every 50 turns or so, they will generally love you My expansions are always slow and cautious and I spend way more time on campaign map, than in battle (the total war aspect of Total War games is the least attractive to me :p).

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Waluk View Post
    I like it the way it is, but I'm probably the wrong person to ask, since I always play on VH/VH difficulty. The solution is actually quite simple: money talks Bribe your neighbors with up to 10k gold every 50 turns or so, they will generally love you My expansions are always slow and cautious and I spend way more time on campaign map, than in battle (the total war aspect of Total War games is the least attractive to me :p).
    It seem I've got the same playstyle as Waluk.
    As Poland I'd pay each turn 100-300 fl. to HRE only to prevent that the emperor attacks me. I've once made a mistake to take Prague quickly and was forced to fight wars with HRE, Denmark, Lithuania and Kiev. I lost.
    The harshness of the reputation penalty is lowered for a few of provinces?

{INFO_SPHERES_OF_INFLUENCE_TITLE}Spheres of influence
    {INFO_SPHERES_OF_INFLUENCE_BODY}Taking an enemy settlement makes usually your rivals angry - and you losing reputation. However, there are certain provinces that are perceived to be "yours" by default. Conquering such provinces (or more often: recapturing) is seen as legitimate and you won't lose reputation. These provinces are highlighted with darker colour in the map in the faction panel. Bear in mind that there may be some special settlements that conqests spark ire of particular interested faction, irrespective from the sphere of influence mechanism.

Yes, I would do that too prior to the war, but once war happens anyways and you are at despicable reputation, I just cant get a peace treaty with a faction even tho they are pretty much dead and I offer them 50k/cities

Maybe just unlucky, or because i'm too big (playing as HRE, and controling france/northern italy) but many faction would rather get exterminated than talking their way out with me
    Last edited by lequintal69; July 14, 2020 at 05:40 AM. Reason: tt

@Waluk - if you like to spend time on the campaign map, my Excel file may be of some use for you. On the basis on this recording I'm able to produce reports like this one.

@lequintal - role playing is needed in Med2 engine. There're always unknown thing, like some factions tha don't want to talk to you, or attacking out of the blue and against their interests.

To follow-up the changes that will be made in 097 concerning agents, this is the current state of affairs:

------------

III. AGENTS

PRINCESS SPAWN SCRIPT fixed
    * the goal of this script is to provide the player with another aspect of the game: royal marriages. Without the script the princesses are very rare after the initial phase of the game so the player never bothered. Now the princesses are numerous and the player will activelly seek to marry-off his FL and FH, or use his own ladies for diplomacy.
    - previously (introduced in 096): there’s a script giving each AI faction a Princess with 0 charm every 14 years, starting after 1162 (each faction gets it in a different turn, so the Cumans get one in 1176 at the earliest) in either of two place for each faction. They were without any trait, with Charm 0, and frequently nameless. No info appears, you need find them.
    - after fixing (097): Noble Ladies start appearing after 1152 and for each faction one is spawned every generation (slightly more than 20 years (it's stochastic: may be longer or shorter). There are 6 types of ladies for each faction, ie each has a different name, different traits and resulting different level of Charm (1-6). Each of them gets an epitaph “the Noble Lady” (it distinguish them from the born-in-family princesses; it has no impact on the game for the AI princesses, while for the player it means they're not in the family tree). There's an information window popping-out about the ladies spawned with the highest charm (5 or 6).
    - future work: make an interactive event for the player to get a noble lady against a payment. Or introduce the Royal Ladies of the Court submod.
    - the traits of the princess have not yet been reviewed. There're rather painful anti-trait + NGB bugs so the Ladies may even be better to be married than the normally born princesses.

MERCHANTS
    * the goal of these changes is to limit the increase of time the player deals with the merchants as the faction grows. The fewer merchants but each providing more income will be good for playing experience.
    (1) each capital (ie if you take another faction capital, you can recruit an additional merchant)
    (3) large cities in North Italy and in the Low Countries (if Warehouse is built).
    - the traits of the merchants have not yet been reviewed after 092, but they seem to work more-or-less ok.

DIPLOMATS
    * the goal of these changes is to limit the processing time of the turns since the AI diplomats sometimes keep on trying to bribe cities and that makes turns longer if they are numerous. Another reason is to decrease the diplomat spam the player makes, keeping a diplomat at each of the enemy faction.
    - every faction should have an access to a diplomat from the very beginning. However, there'll be fewer diplomat in-game overall because: 1. many AI diplomats very often checked the other cities for bribe and this slowed the processing time much, 2. there's a Noble Lady script: each faction gets a princess every ca. 40 turns. To this end the diplomat are available from:
    (1) the administrative buildings in the capitals only (ie. provinces with hidden resource capital: if the player conquers another faction capital, he'll have access to another diplomat).
    (2) Explorers Guilds, Theologian Guilds (note: the Latin Europe factions will get this ability only after 4th Lateran Council).
    (3) Universities.
    - the traits for the diplomats had been reviewed for 096.

PRIESTS
    * the goal of these changes is to limit the increase of time the player deals with the priests while keeping their importance for the game and using the AI ability to use the priest.
    - recruitment of pagan priests from the castles removed but left for any level of the pagan shrines in the cities (also altars).
    - recruitment from lower levels of churches and mosques (town, large town) removed; and the number of priests recruited from higher levels of churches significantly limited.
    - availability of the priests limited to a few per faction. The limits is increased by 1 with:
    (1) each capital (ie. it works for the initial capital and also for any other faction's capital conquered) starting from the town level (Small Church).
    (2) abbey (ie. from the minor city level except from the capitals - in this case no difference, still the same 1).
    (3) huge cathedral (ie huge city level).
    (3) if the FL has the "strictly_religious" policy (trait), the limit for each church is increased by +1 (ie. 2 instead of 1, or 3 instead of 2).
    (4) guilds: Theologians.
    - information windows on their use, levelling up and availability included.
    - occassional fixes to traits.

Spies, assassins, inquisitors, witches, heretics: improvements were made in SSHIP ver. 096 and, especialy the February patch after 096. In 097 few changes, if any.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; July 14, 2020 at 08:58 AM.

Awesome, can't wait for full release!

How does one avoid the deranged trait? I've just started playing this mod and started an England campaign on M/M 4 times. By 20 turns in most of my generals have picked up the deranged trait, and the supports usurper trait. I get the supports usurper one, but not the deranged. I'm not seeing any witches or heretics either, if it's like the afflicted traits from SS 6.4 I could understand a portion of the characters getting it, but all of them? Is it because I "park" them in a settlement perhaps?

Thanks for posting this! I've been following you through here for some time and have seen screenshots of this here and there and just hadn't asked yet if you would post it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    @Waluk - if you like to spend time on the campaign map, my Excel file may be of some use for you. On the basis on this recording I'm able to produce reports like this one.

@lequintal - role playing is needed in Med2 engine. There're always unknown thing, like some factions tha don't want to talk to you, or attacking out of the blue and against their interests.

To follow-up the changes that will be made in 097 concerning agents, this is the current state of affairs:

------------

III. AGENTS

PRINCESS SPAWN SCRIPT fixed
    * the goal of this script is to provide the player with another aspect of the game: royal marriages. Without the script the princesses are very rare after the initial phase of the game so the player never bothered. Now the princesses are numerous and the player will activelly seek to marry-off his FL and FH, or use his own ladies for diplomacy.
    - previously (introduced in 096): there’s a script giving each AI faction a Princess with 0 charm every 14 years, starting after 1162 (each faction gets it in a different turn, so the Cumans get one in 1176 at the earliest) in either of two place for each faction. They were without any trait, with Charm 0, and frequently nameless. No info appears, you need find them.
    - after fixing (097): Noble Ladies start appearing after 1152 and for each faction one is spawned every generation (slightly more than 20 years (it's stochastic: may be longer or shorter). There are 6 types of ladies for each faction, ie each has a different name, different traits and resulting different level of Charm (1-6). Each of them gets an epitaph “the Noble Lady” (it distinguish them from the born-in-family princesses; it has no impact on the game for the AI princesses, while for the player it means they're not in the family tree). There's an information window popping-out about the ladies spawned with the highest charm (5 or 6).
    - future work: make an interactive event for the player to get a noble lady against a payment. Or introduce the Royal Ladies of the Court submod.
    - the traits of the princess have not yet been reviewed. There're rather painful anti-trait + NGB bugs so the Ladies may even be better to be married than the normally born princesses.

MERCHANTS

DIPLOMATS
    * the goal of these changes is to limit the processing time of the turns since the AI diplomats sometimes keep on trying to bribe cities and that makes turns longer if they are numerous. Another reason is to decrease the diplomat spam the player makes, keeping a diplomat at each of the enemy faction.
    - every faction should have an access to a diplomat from the very beginning. However, there'll be fewer diplomat in-game overall because: 1. many AI diplomats very often checked the other cities for bribe and this slowed the processing time much, 2. there's a Noble Lady script: each faction gets a princess every ca. 40 turns. To this end the diplomat are available from:
    (1) the administrative buildings in the capitals only (ie. provinces with hidden resource capital: if the player conquers another faction capital, he'll have access to another diplomat).
    (2) Explorers Guilds, Theologian Guilds (note: the Latin Europe factions will get this ability only after 4th Lateran Council).
    (3) Universities.
    - the traits for the diplomats had been reviewed for 096.

PRIESTS
    * the goal of these changes is to limit the increase of time the player deals with the priests while keeping their importance for the game and using the AI ability to use the priest.
    - recruitment of pagan priests from the castles removed but left for any level of the pagan shrines in the cities (also altars).
    - recruitment from lower levels of churches and mosques (town, large town) removed; and the number of priests recruited from higher levels of churches significantly limited.
    - availability of the priests limited to a few per faction. The limits is increased by 1 with:
    (1) each capital (ie. it works for the initial capital and also for any other faction's capital conquered) starting from the town level (Small Church).
    (2) abbey (ie. from the minor city level except from the capitals - in this case no difference, still the same 1).
    (3) huge cathedral (ie huge city level).
    (3) if the FL has the "strictly_religious" policy (trait), the limit for each church is increased by +1 (ie. 2 instead of 1, or 3 instead of 2).
    (4) guilds: Theologians.
    - information windows on their use, levelling up and availability included.
    - occassional fixes to traits.

Spies, assassins, inquisitors, witches, heretics: improvements were made in SSHIP ver. 096 and, especialy the February patch after 096. In 097 few changes, if any.

Quote Originally Posted by george0433 View Post
    How does one avoid the deranged trait? I've just started playing this mod and started an England campaign on M/M 4 times. By 20 turns in most of my generals have picked up the deranged trait, and the supports usurper trait. I get the supports usurper one, but not the deranged. I'm not seeing any witches or heretics either, if it's like the afflicted traits from SS 6.4 I could understand a portion of the characters getting it, but all of them? Is it because I "park" them in a settlement perhaps?
    It'll be fixed in 097, for now you need to make a change yourself - see here, add those ;

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    It'll be fixed in 097, for now you need to make a change yourself - see here, add those ;
    Thank you sir! Also very appreciative of your "teach a man to fish" method.

How does one provide rep?

@george - look for the little "+" to the left

Seemingly offtopic, but actually a very relevant thought - as to why it's important to take one's time to polish mods and make them cohesive (apart from obvious quality improvement and bugfixing). I went into the linked thread, and JoC linked a Sid Meier's talk about probabilities there. I opened it up and listened to in the background for while. At one point Sid mentions it's important to minimize things that "feel wrong" and repeatedly break the suspension of disbelief, because it increasingly makes the player pay attention to all kinds of other things and mechanics that are taking place. And talking from my experience (in general, it's not about the SSHIP) it carries a strong snowballing effect - once the game breaks it for you, you start to nitpick everything and suddenly it's "rubbish" and unplayable (I exaggerate, but you get the point).

Weird mechanics, lack of balance, unhistoricity in otherwise very historical enviroments, ludonarrative dissonance etc. could be the factors.

I can think of an opposite, positive example of this phenomena - I haven't played it, but apparently Dark Souls is so well put together people start to believe that EVERYTHING, every detail, every object is where it should be, as it holds some deep meaning and it's exactly where it should and meant to be.

As a sidenote - ironically, modding may actually be detrimental to one's experience because you can more easily spot and decipher certain game elements and see it simply as a program and less an experience or leisure medium.

TL;DR: it's worth waiting for mods A cohesive mod is greater than a sum of its elements.
    Last edited by Just let me post; July 14, 2020 at 03:45 PM. Reason: grammar is hard sometimes

I don't know if this is the right place to ask but I have been looking for help with the Stainless Steel 6.4 mod for several weeks, since there are factions without voices, I mean Hungary, Poland, among others (accent East_European factions kievan_rus, russia, poland, hungary, denmark, norway, lithuania) precisely those factions that are missing audio, the units are mute, tried the mod in english and spanish, but in both cases these factions do not speak anything, if you can help me to solve it I played many years ago this mod and I really like it, but it has been difficult for me to find a solution to this problem since playing with those factions loses all the splendor of the game.Greetings and I hope you can help me.
    I don't know if this is the right place to ask but I have been looking for help with the Stainless Steel 6.4 mod for several weeks, since there are factions without voices, I mean Hungary, Poland, among others (accent East_European factions kievan_rus, russia, poland, hungary, denmark, norway, lithuania) precisely those factions that are missing audio, the units are mute, tried the mod in english and spanish, but in both cases these factions do not speak anything, if you can help me to solve it I played many years ago this mod and I really like it, but it has been difficult for me to find a solution to this problem since playing with those factions loses all the splendor of the game.Greetings and I hope you can help me.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

The issue is rather easy to fix:

1. In the SS6.3\data folder open the descr_sounds_accents.txt file with Notepad (first make a copy for backup)
    2. Identify the mute factions and move (cut&paste) their entry to fitting accents, don't forget to put a comma between factions!
    3. Save file
    4. Go into the data\sounds directory and remove the event.dat and event.idx file (move onto desktop for backup)
    5. Start mod

In your case it seems to be the east_european faction entries which is puzzling as it is usually the mongolian accent that is not supported by non english game versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Just let me post View Post
    As a sidenote - ironically, modding may actually be detrimental to one's experience because you can more easily spot and decipher certain game elements and see it simply as a program and less an experience or leisure medium.
    It presents a struggle - I try to restrict myself to suggestions that I think will improve on a flaw that I perceive instead of just commenting on it's short coming. On the plus side there is the expertise to simply fix it myself if I am so inclined (see above).
    Last edited by Gigantus; July 14, 2020 at 10:17 PM.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

About the missing voices, there's a patch on the download page
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

Ah yes, the already corrected sound txt file (no factions in the EE accent section) will obviously be better then trying to follow my instructions.

Seeing that it's exactly what I proposed and it certainly works on Steam (no difference at all between disk and Steam where sound mechanics are concerned) I am wondering why the 'do not use on steam version' warning under the sound patch?

And it only requires to delete the event idx and dat files, not the full set. That's only required if sound file names (mp3 etc) are changed.
    Last edited by Gigantus; July 15, 2020 at 02:25 AM.

Blog Entries

I thought that the Steam version didn't rebuild the .dat and .idx files
    If it's compatible, I'll update the instructions then
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

I have been working exclusively on Steam for a couple of years now and the only peculiarity I have come across is the generating of battle, strat, shared and tooltips string.bin files. Steam cannot generate new ones, it does however updates them if the corresponding txt file has been edited.
    I believe the same holds true for the SD files in the data\ui folder. There is also the black settlement issue but that's about all I know of.

There is however the odd occurrence that a mod will crash after generating new sound idx\dat files. I have no idea why it happens, the log however is clear that it's a sound issue - but it's not repeatable as on the next try (and everyone after) the mod will start without issues. Not sure if that is Steam specific, though.

Blog Entries

Download page updated accordingly with a note about the possible ctd
    Thanks Gig

Jurand,i
    what do you think of the Bellum Crucis "create your own religion" feature? I find it nice to spice up the religious game. I think its good both gameplay and immersion wise

Right now, we just have the antipope, but it doesnt do much, does it

Side question: I'm on a midgame HRE campaign in sship and I just go excomunicated with my "young" king - The only way to fix that is having my king died or can I get pardoned through good deeds?
    Last edited by lequintal69; July 15, 2020 at 05:38 AM. Reason: aa