Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Novgorodian Nark's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Thanks for answering, and apologies for the sarcasm earlier

i love this mod, but these are some of the things that i hope can be improved for enjoyment value.

---
    Small rant ahead:
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________
    What was so great about the unstoppable horde was they were the only real threat to your empire late game, its just too hard to lose in medieval 2, only early game is hard, and with SSHIP the most difficult thing is economy, which if you will forgive my bluntness, is rather tedious, because you constantly have to build merchants and send them to resources which will be contested by other merchants with the random chance of win/lose for them is usually very much in the AIs favor, so its not so much about skill as patience and luck, when you have to send the merchants/assassins out over and over, and you constantly have to disband your armies in order to gain money, having a standing army is extremely expensive, so often settlement management and constant re-recruitment/re-disbandment of armies take up very large parts of the gameplay.

To put it simply: If i wanted to play Medieval 2 for the Strategy Map, i would rather just play Crusader Kings 2.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________
    The gameplay should be punishing if you do bad and rewarding you if you do well, (AI should hard to beat and be much stronger than you by default, but the rewards for beating them should be improved, (more trait/ancillary reward bonuses for example, or more money or more experience for your troops))
    ---But it should not be tedious, and should focus less on the strategy map and more on the battles.

I appreciate and respect the intentions of your design decisions, but i also humbly advice you to consider changing some things for the sake of enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by sauceman5123 View Post
    But it should not be tedious, and should focus less on the strategy map and more on the battles.

that's the way i see it too and the problem when you face 15 stacks is that it's a long and boring grindfest destroying them one by one, battles start feeling unimportant and repetitive

i think the challenge of big empires should be the unity, the bigger a faction is the more internal rebelions it should have and as it gets bigger and bigger the power struggle should skyrocket, far aways lands should also be controlable mostly only through vassals

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

@ sauceman5123, the mod is still under development. We know that there are still numerous points that need to be improved. Considering you're quite "new " along the SSHIP subforum, no need to be that sarcastic when pointing these out or you might get the answer of the Sheperd to the Sheperdness (if you get the picture)
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Particularly since the system implies all invader mongol horses would die to some sharp sticks placed at the gates of the settlements they attacked first...

Hi there, first off all i wanted to say thank you for the Work you've put in this fantastic Mod.

I am playing a hotseat match with my mate, he's playing the HRE and i am currently playing the ERE. I just noticed that three of my Generals are Plotting. I've read about the system behind that and i was just wondering about another thing which came to my Attention. I managed to keep the crown in the komnenos line for three Generations. My current Basileus ist greek Born, was the Heir usw. usw. When he bacem Basileus he got the Ancillarys of the emperor usw. but when i look at his Traits he doesnt have a Faction Leader Trait bu only a Regent Trait. Is this supposed to be ?

Did he actually have a trait like "Biological Son" though?

Lifthrasir, please, how many building slots are still free? i have some ideas (for example jew ghettos - law, - religion, + income ( and it is possible - christian ghettos for moslim countries and moslim ghettos for christian countries? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_Europe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%B6sz%C3%B6rm%C3%A9ny ))

@Alavaria I am pretty sure about that. He is a direct Son of my former Basileus. I've in fact a very Strict "Non adoption" Policy in this Game. I'll have a closer look if he has the trait when i am back from work.

Ok checked it, he doesn't have the trait Is it possible that this is a feature although his Father and Mother are both in the family Tree ?

Norway has Drengar and Viking Drengar, the Drengar are clearly a better unit, but maybe some name should be changed to lessen the confusion.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytaninc View Post
    Norway has Drengar and Viking Drengar, the Drengar are clearly a better unit, but maybe some name should be changed to lessen the confusion.
    That will be corrected soon or later. Check this post for more info
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; August 14, 2016 at 03:03 PM. Reason: typo
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Got a question about Sicilian area settlements, Napoli and Reggio de Calabria - although they are minor cities with Stone Wall, Crop Rotation and City council, number of recruitment slots in only 1 - could anyone please explain to me why is that? Do I need other buildings to make more slots?

Quote Originally Posted by qdlav View Post
    Got a question about Sicilian area settlements, Napoli and Reggio de Calabria - although they are minor cities with Stone Wall, Crop Rotation and City council, number of recruitment slots in only 1 - could anyone please explain to me why is that? Do I need other buildings to make more slots?
    You actually have less slots if you build more.

In these cases, it should be the Town/City Hall and the farming buildings which reduce your slot count by 1 for each.

So it's 3 without and 2 or 1 if you build 1 or 2 of those buildings.

I read that elite units have reduced upkeep when garrisoned on cities (or was it castles). Is this correct? Also, any particular reason for getting rid of the free upkeep slots?

Blog Entries

Upkeep costs are the same in any settlement as far as I know (unless I'm wrong).
    Free upkeep removed as too advantageous for the player.

hey i found this mod: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...for-Medieval-2

do you want to add it? its really immersive :O

oh and thank you so much for this great mod by the way! enjoying every moment of it!

Xenophobia is pretty awesome I think (Or anything similar to it). Although I'm pretty sure a lot of people would dislike it. It would be perfect as a submod for SSHIP.

Quote Originally Posted by MWY View Post
    Xenophobia is pretty awesome I think (Or anything similar to it). Although I'm pretty sure a lot of people would dislike it. It would be perfect as a submod for SSHIP.
    Xeno-phonia, not phobia
    And I agree, while authentic voices are very cool, having nations like Denmark and Poland speak German is probably not a welcome change!

You know, it is kinda funny how powerful (although far from invencible) cavalry is in this mod in comparison to other realism mods, specially on different settings, like Rome 2 or Shogun 2. Both of them also feature very heavily armored and armed cavalry, not much different from knights, and yet, they tend to get absolutely decimated when faced even against the weakest of spear men. Knights at the very least can be trusted to fight off non-spear men and low tier spear men on prolonged melee on this mod, and they actually shine on the charge (I see general body guards killing from between twice to thrice their numbers each good charge against levy type troops). What made medieval knights so much more powerful and reliable than ancient cavalry?

agree the german doesnt quite fit them not a problem though if denmark and poland can speak their original voices or the russian voices.