Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Nemesis2345's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Alavaria View Post
    Hmm, I've switch computers some time ago so yeah it would mean installing everything again but more interestingly...

The current version is 0.9.6 ? There's already two more updates?
    actually 0.9.7 is just around the corner

Is it possible to do a multiplayer campaign for the sship 0.9.7 test version? I'm wanting to get my older brother to play this mod.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by SteamedTang View Post
    Is it possible to do a multiplayer campaign for the sship 0.9.7 test version? I'm wanting to get my older brother to play this mod.
    if it was possible with 092, it should also be with 097. Nothing should change in this respect.

Does this mod include Byzantine units reforged?

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

What do you mean by "Byzantine units reforged"?
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    What do you mean by "Byzantine units reforged"?
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...sed-11-02-2012

Also, In terms of campaign difficulty I am slightly confused.

When I start a game on Hard or Very Hard, I get two pop ups. One tells me that campaign difficulty has been increased so that loyalty, intelligence etc will always be lower, princesses affected and so on.

Then I get another pop up from sship, saying that campaign difficulty has been increased. Does anyone know how the difficulty has been increased, excepting whatever was flagged in the first pop up?

Is the campaign difficulty between medium and H/VR only increased by dumbing down agent and character stats? Are they otherwise the same besides that?

*Small point in that Ioannis Komnenos seems to be an unplayable 20 year old in the Byzantine Early Start. He features in the family tree.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

SSHIP doesn't include that mod.

Regarding the popup windows, I guess that you're refering to one from Stainless Steel and one from SSHIP.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Sidra View Post
    Also, In terms of campaign difficulty I am slightly confused.

When I start a game on Hard or Very Hard, I get two pop ups. One tells me that campaign difficulty has been increased so that loyalty, intelligence etc will always be lower, princesses affected and so on.

Then I get another pop up from sship, saying that campaign difficulty has been increased. Does anyone know how the difficulty has been increased, excepting whatever was flagged in the first pop up?

Is the campaign difficulty between medium and H/VR only increased by dumbing down agent and character stats? Are they otherwise the same besides that?

*Small point in that Ioannis Komnenos seems to be an unplayable 20 year old in the Byzantine Early Start. He features in the family tree.
    Apart from the hard-coded differences (eg. it is thought that the AI starts recruiting mercenaries only from the Hard difficulty up):

{SSHIP_DIFFICULTY_VERY_HARD_BODY}\n Campaign Difficulty: Very Hard\n\nSome parameters in the game will be harder for the player than at the Normal, Medium, or Hard difficulty. In particular, the starting values of Piety and Loyalty are set to 2, and new generals are likely to be slightly less intelligent and have fewer military skills and other positive traits. The agents (princesses, priests, merchants, spies, and assassins) are also likely to have lower starting values in their main attribute. In addition, AI generals and characters receive additional bonuses to make them more challenging opponents. \n\nThere are also some game mechanics introduced at this difficulty, in particular the mechanics of army supply costs and army morale. Overall, money will be very tight and you may find expansion very difficult. To learn more, read the details in the pop-up windows during the game. If you find the added complexities overwhelming, or if you simply prefer an easier game, choose Hard or Medium difficulty.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; August 28, 2020 at 06:57 AM.

Generally speaking, any significant in-game differences are flagged with pop-up windows. There are significant gameplay mechanics that only are activated at higher difficulties (notably army morale and campaigning costs), and these will be highlighted in pop-ups when you play on the difficulty levels at which these are turned on. Basically, the big thing that changes with difficulty is more nuanced gameplay and tougher choices. You can't steamroll the map, and you need to really plan your moves well.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Hey,

from the latest 0.97 version you sent me:

Pisa, turn 120:

1- Got the "Maritime interests" trait notification twice, but It didn't show on the character's window

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

2- Admirals often get the bad admiral trait when winning naval battles. Not sure if its intended

3 - Knight hospitaliers have blank banner

4 - 4-1 (NOT 0.97 specific): When you snipe a foreign general with one of your princess, the children that get born have random family names (each child gets a DIFFERENT name)
    4-2 Those children have the Pisan Patrician trait, even though only the mother was a Pisan patrician. Is it intended?

5 - Following the king's death, his LEGITIMATE son, with "Pisan Patrician" trait becomes king usurper. Is it intended ?
    Or is it due to Pisa being a republic ? Then, is the usurper trait handed out randomly regardless of the character being legitimate?

You can see in the picture, the new king is the older, legitimate children of the his Pisan Patrician father. But again, since it's a republic, I'm not sure how it should work. Could you clarify it?

6 - I noticed new stuff in this version:
    longer boat building time: I think it's great
    Merchants are slightly nerfed or i'm unlucky in this campaign ? either way, seems balanced
    Assassins are still a bit op, at least vs high ranked generals/pope in my opinion

7- (not 0.97 specific): SIEGES - one thing I would LOVE to see if AI starving you out more. Too many times, AI attacks you with an army similar to yours, or often even worse. Many times, its army is 40%+ cavalry , which is terrible for a siege. Many times, AI have other armies near the town, but they are just slightly too far to reinforce. Somehow AI thinks attacking 2000 defensors with 2000 attackers is fine enough, which..is not.
    I think difficulty would increase A LOT if AI would just starve you out unless they have, lets say, 4-1 or 3-1 ratio in their favor.
    One example from this campaign:

In this case, they have half their force as cavalry. Sallying out would be hard for me, or at least way more costly than defending.

I know some mods/submods tried to work on that
    I.e Piter's AI submod for Bellum Crucis that claims that "AI will not attack until it is certain that it will win (taking into account the result of the autocalc battle)" (havnt tried it out).

If anyone could be done in that regard, it would be great

Maritime interests fixed - it was hidden before. Thanks for the info.

Admirals - I'll review the traits at some point, thanks!

I haven't worked much on the FL and succession traits, I'll do it in the future.

Longer building times for the ships is intended. It should be even longer, but shortened by special builidings. In this way the Venetial Arsenale would prove it's worth (well, it's not in the game, but maybe in the future?)

Merchants are not nerfed, but their traits haven't been reviewed yet.

sieges - never touched it, I think it's still like in SS6.4. Nevertheless, I'm impressed at with the balanced AI army composition. It's really good for the field battles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Longer building times for the ships is intended. It should be even longer, but shortened by special builidings. In this way the Venetial Arsenale would prove it's worth (well, it's not in the game, but maybe in the future?).
    Ok you had me sold with this, I need my venetian arsenale now haha. It would give Venice a pretty unique advantage on the sea (like in real life).

What are people’s favorite factions to play. I’m am suffering from indecision.

For me Romans( Byzantines) with their great army, castilians with the Reconquista in Spain, Mongols and Cumans, Moors, Sicilians and also norwegians but my advice is that you try all factions for their armies, culture, situation and history
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Nemesis2345's Avatar Semisalis

My fav faction is the HRE , because it has very disciplined and professional armies and wide range of troops.

However, if you really want a fun and challenging game , i suggest you play with Jerusalem. The battles i had , the army management , the muslim doomstacks i had to beat with my king (if he died , it was game over) etc. made the campaign very hard. Then the Mongols appear , so you also need to set up a ur faction or perish.

My favourite one is Castille:
    - you can have enriching cultural exchange with Moors
    - duke it out western-europe-style with Aragon/France
    - have lots of javelineers, like in good old roman times
    - too bad you can't pump up inflation with gold from Americas in late game.

Crusader States and Sicily are also quite interesting.

why is TWC deleting my posts

Quote Originally Posted by lequintal69 View Post
    why is TWC deleting my posts
    you're probably typing them too long and you get logged out. Before sending any post, open another page of the TWC - you'll log in and you're post will be posted.
    Or write any longer post in a txt file and then only cut-and-paste.

Favourite factions
    Early Era
    - England : Comfy Island Shenanigans where you're missing your main strength (longbows) for the first 100 or so turns. Although fighting France is a pain, especially when their roster is so much superior imo.
    - Castille/Aragon : Who doesn't like to roleplay the reconquista, plus early era moors are slightly stronger than late era moors, so it feels really satisfying when you push them out of Iberia
    Late Era
    - Byzantines : Nothing like taking back Constantinople and embarking on the (partial) restoration of Roman glory. The Seljuks and Hungarians being powerful really adds to the challenge and the enemy variety
    - Crusader States : Fighting doom stacks from the get go with higher tier units than in early campaign is such a great challenge, plus the seljuks and mongols are much more relevant threats since early on

I've developed a newfound taste for Novgorod: small starting territory, lots of powerful neighbors, logistical puzzle (no straight road between the two starting cities!),stretched borders at first, small royal family... It's a nightmare and I love it!
    And axes!! And good ranged units. Enemy not armored? Archers! Armored? Axes! Cavalry? Cav archers!
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats