Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Shouldn't the Prussian Spearmen mercenary unit available in North Germany be renamed to something more appropriate for the period? Given that the Prussians at the time were a Baltic pagan tribe, not Germans. Perhaps Saxon Spearmen instead? There's a similar problem for the Berber Archers available to Sicily- though Muslim Archers isn't a great name, Berber Archers is even more inaccurate, since these archers would have been Siculo-Arabic, not Berbers. Moorish/Maghrebi Archers might be a decent compromise, though in that case maybe (re-)renaming Andalusian Archers and giving those back to Sicily could work better. You could also sidestep the issue by giving them Toxotae or just regular Archers instead.
    Last edited by Tripledot; May 10, 2019 at 04:18 AM.

Lifthrasir's Avatar A Clockwork Orange
    Patrician Artifex Content Staff Moderation Mentor

Blog Entries

Saxons didn't live in Prussia as far as I know. Prussian refers to the area, not to the Germans.

Muslim archers is the best name anyway: they were muslims and archers. They were locals who stayed after the Normans conquest. So, moorish/maghrebi/andalusian aren't good either for that unit.

I'll check these units anyway
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, of the Imperial House of Hader

- Results published

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    Saxons didn't live in Prussia as far as I know. Prussian refers to the area, not to the Germans.

Muslim archers is the best name anyway: they were muslims and archers. They were locals who stayed after the Normans conquest. So, moorish/maghrebi/andalusian aren't good either for that unit.

I'll check these units anyway
    The problem was that I was recruiting Prussians in Cologne, which isn't exactly close to Prussia, and they don't exactly look like tribal auxiliaries, either.

As for the Muslim archers thing- I think it's a bit weird because Sicily shares Berber Archers with the Moors (and the unit previously named "Muslim Archers" is part of the Moorish roster, renamed to "Andalusian Archers"), and calling archers for a Muslim faction "Muslim Archers" seems kind of odd.

Blog Entries

Both "issues" can be easily fixed. The Prussian spearman can be changes as an AoR and it would become recruitable only in a specific area.

For the archers, 2 options:
    1. Remove the Berber archers from Sicilian roster and create another archer units for them. The problem is that it would cost a slot in the EDU.
    2. Just modify the text file for that unit when recruited by Sicily. So in that case, it can become Sicilian Muslim Archers for example while remaining Berber archers if recruited by the muslim factions.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, of the Imperial House of Hader

- Results published

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Wolf View Post
    Were the fixes for the titles add to the main mod or do I still need to download it separately?
    Actually, the titles are one thing, the other is the problems with the traits (see for instance here, and in this thread). Fixing those mechanisms is the main reason for using the minimods.
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    the Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project,
    and the Broken Crescent + Buff and Shine.
    ........................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Pros and cons of having merchants in an M2TW mod. Arguments against the forts in M2TW.
    Home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. No good mod yet, alas!
    Dominant strategy in Rome 2 TW and Attila TW: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!
    .................................................................................................................................................................................
    Developer of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, script fixing, guides, historical improvements

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    For the archers, 2 options:
    1. Remove the Berber archers from Sicilian roster and create another archer units for them. The problem is that it would cost a slot in the EDU.
    2. Just modify the text file for that unit when recruited by Sicily. So in that case, it can become Sicilian Muslim Archers for example while remaining Berber archers if recruited by the muslim factions.
    Well that's why I suggested giving Sicily the Andalusian Archers back and renaming them to Moorish- since Moorish can describe Sicilian Moors, Andalusian Moors, and African Moors, meaning the Almoravids and Sicily could share that unit with no problem. I don't really understand why Sicily got their archers swapped for the inferior Berber archers in the first place, either.

Blog Entries

I'll see what option is the best

- Results published

As SSHIP keeps the way original SS does land bridges while Titanium goes back to the green line method i was just wondering if someone knowledgeable could tell me how land bridges are created in original SS.
    I know the standard way is a 1 pixel wide green line in map_features.tga but this doesn't appear to be the case for original SS.
    I have asked in the SS base forum but it's more active in here lol.
    Remember, wherever you go.... there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylo View Post
    I have asked in the SS base forum but it's more active in here lol.
    I wonder which fora for medieval period are still active for M2TW (the active ones I know deal with antiquity: EBII, or Tolkien: TATW).

kostic's Avatar Biarchus

Sorry Jaylo, I do not control this aspect.
    For my part, after my disappointment with the pope, other aspects of the SSHIP leave me puzzled.
    Thus, my kingdom, very extended, sees its money collapse and its debt increase without that I can not do anything against. My king is reported usurper and I can not move him anymore ! Another of my generals suffered the same fate without understanding why. In the screenshot below, you can see that my general is considered coward and make loses 1 morale point for all my units, whereas he had made a brave exit with his bodyguards killing over fifty enemies before returning to the shelter of his fortress.
    SSHIP seems to me to be becoming more and more absurd and illogical.

The idea is that the bigger you become the harder the game is. The Usurper system is kinda of broken in my opinion, that is true and it sometimes shows in generals that are "Loyal" while the trully disloyal ones remain without changes.

Quote Originally Posted by kostic View Post
    Sorry Jaylo, I do not control this aspect.
    For my part, after my disappointment with the pope, other aspects of the SSHIP leave me puzzled.
    Thus, my kingdom, very extended, sees its money collapse and its debt increase without that I can not do anything against. My king is reported usurper and I can not move him anymore ! Another of my generals suffered the same fate without understanding why. In the screenshot below, you can see that my general is considered coward and make loses 1 morale point for all my units, whereas he had made a brave exit with his bodyguards killing over fifty enemies before returning to the shelter of his fortress.
    SSHIP seems to me to be becoming more and more absurd and illogical.
    Hi Kostic, you're reporting on two different things.
    The picture is about the "Coward" trait. I've analysed it thoroughly and the results are presented here, and the fix is included in my minimod for 0.92. However, I don't recall Coward to be gained so easily, so I'm surprised you got it. It's rather accidental, I think. Apart from this, -1 morale is not such a big deal, there're many more important sources of TroopMorale.

On the Usurper thing - yes, this mechanism is broken in the SSHIP, as analysed and reported here by VineFynn and me. Again, there's a fix (partial, I admit) to this mechanics in my submod for 0.92. Otherwise, the only way I know to get out of it, it to let your king die, sorry. I've had one Usurper king and he held me back for 20 years.

Furthermore, on money - I wonder how have you plunged into such debt having so many provinces? It's not Byg's Grim Reality to have sudden expenses for marriage or CoA... I think you're using too many heavy cavalry, that is really expensive in the SSHIP.
    You may compare to the data on my Polish kingdom, everything is put here:

In general, as far as the traits are concerned, the problem with the EDCT in the SSHIP are discrepancies between what the mod tells and what is under the hood. The most problematic area are the Princesses. Due to the Anti-Trait bug and the way the Princesses acquire their "Hearts" it's almost impossible to tell how nice is a Princess. She can have 4 Hearts and has 0, and otherwise. (BTW, the same problem is in the base Stainless Steel, while it's been fixed in Titanium).
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    the Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project,
    and the Broken Crescent + Buff and Shine.
    ........................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Pros and cons of having merchants in an M2TW mod. Arguments against the forts in M2TW.
    Home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. No good mod yet, alas!
    Dominant strategy in Rome 2 TW and Attila TW: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!
    .................................................................................................................................................................................
    Developer of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, script fixing, guides, historical improvements

kostic's Avatar Biarchus

Thank you Jurand for your very complete answer.
    I have not tried your sub-mod yet, but is it compatible with SSHIP version 0.9.5 ?

In 1257, I have 30 regions, I have 25 generals, including 3 (King included) can not move. I have 10 units of feudal knights spread between Western Europe and the Middle East ... they are expensive. So where does the problem come from?
    As indicated by the screenshot below, I have more than 8000 florins of corruption and other expenses ! How are we managing this ?

I don't think my minimods are compatible at the moment. I can send the files to Lifth for him to include them in the next sship release.

Corruption: as you can see I've got almost 5000 corruption with 18 cities, so your 8000 looks rather normal (or rather very good). Garrison costs look also ok. However, your income seems low to my mind - with my Eastern European poor cities I make 4,4k per province while you seem to make 3,8k per province even if you're playing in very rich provinces. So I think you haven't invested enough in the infrastructure. And you may also not utilise the potential of the generals to increase profits - you may see in my table that they add 5% (yes, it's with my submod - getting income bonuses is more reasonble there if you care for your generals, see the description here, and for education here).

Blog Entries

You can send me your files whenever you want JoC
    I'll implement them in the next release as already discussed by the past

- Results published

It's because you have plague in Paris. Plague stops all trade income in a city which can put a significant dent in your finances if it's a rich one. If you play until the Black Plague event, you can witness the huge hit on economy you will receive. Managing city taxes helps a ton - the bigger cities can have a difference of over 700 florins in income per tax level. Of course at the same time you probably don't want to grow certain enemy cities too much, as then garrison you would have to hold within the city would be more expensive compared to the profits you got from growing it.

kostic's Avatar Biarchus

Thank you for your good advice. I will try to turn things around ...

Blog Entries

Just a quick update on the on-going work: I'm currently making a table in order to get a better view to clean the EDU. I've already spotted some points to be discussed.
    Meanwhile I've also listed all issues (or possible one) together in the OP of this thread. Please take the time to read that list (in the spoiler at the bottom) before to report any issue (to avoid repetition)
    I'll try to fix them while working on the next relelase (the list starts to be quite long now).

- Results published

kostic's Avatar Biarchus

You have forgotten some bugs, like those maps that can not be played ... or the problems of the archers who have fun all over the screen when they meet a unit of swordsmen ...
    That said, archers can still use my sub-mod , and then in view of your list, you already have a lot of work to solve all this !

Thank you for all this work Lifth !

Blog Entries

Map heights in Turquey refers to the inacessible battle map. For the archers bug, it's been reported so many time that it's impossible to forget about it. But yes, I keep that one for once all the others are done (that one is quite tricky)

- Results published