Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

I think I'm gonna go for Leon/Castille this next campaign. I might do Novgorod later on though it looks real interesting as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    you're probably typing them too long and you get logged out. Before sending any post, open another page of the TWC - you'll log in and you're post will be posted.
    Or write any longer post in a txt file and then only cut-and-paste.
    CAN BE DELETED -
    twcenter got me again
    Last edited by lequintal69; September 06, 2020 at 01:21 PM.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Isn't it the same entry as on Aug 28? If yes, then I've already answered it.

Will there be small forts in important passages in version 0.9.7? It can add small purposes to the game.

For example: https://media.moddb.com/cache/images...000/0000.2.jpg

Nemesis2345's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Berk View Post
    Will there be small forts in important passages in version 0.9.7? It can add small purposes to the game.

For example: https://media.moddb.com/cache/images...000/0000.2.jpg
    I dont think so ,there has been a discussion about this a while back , and the answer against it was , the AI is simply braindead when it comes to using forts. He either refuses to besiege it and walk around it or they move all they garrisons into 1 fort , leaving their cities unguarded.

There'll be no forts in particular so that the player doesn't block important passages.
    Read link in my sig for explanations.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

It seems I have not been aware of the possibility to switch the provincial titles/offices between generals. if so how is it possible, is their a guide to that somewhere? thank you in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by a Dictator's Cigar View Post
    It seems I have not been aware of the possibility to switch the provincial titles/offices between generals. if so how is it possible, is their a guide to that somewhere? thank you in advance!
    I'm referring to the "Manually swapping" the titles/offices from one general to the other. how does this exactly work?

It is something astoundingly simple, but something that not necessarily all players know (I played TW games for years before learning this, and I found out totally by accident).

The "Provincial Titles" are just ancillaries, and they (as well as many other ancillaries) can be swapped between generals by simply clicking the ancillary and dragging over to the person you want to have it. The run-down of how to do it is as follows.

Suppose you have generals Adam and Bob, and Adam has the ancillary "Balcksmith", but you'd like Bob to have it instead.
    1. Put Adam and Bob in the same stack (either together in a settlement or in the same army).
    2. Right-click Adam's unit card so you can see his traits and ancillaries.
    3. Left-click on Adam's "Blacksmith" ancillary and drag it to over the unit card for Bob.
    4. Release the left mouse button.

And vóila, now Bob has a blacksmith and Adam does not. So it is as simple as a click and drag, and the only thing to keep in mind is that the two fellas need to be in the same place in order to swap. Also note that no single character can have more than 8 ancillaries at once (my memory of the number might not be correct, but it is something around 8), and also not all ancillaries are swappable (though most are).
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    It is something astoundingly simple, but something that not necessarily all players know (I played TW games for years before learning this, and I found out totally by accident).

The "Provincial Titles" are just ancillaries, and they (as well as many other ancillaries) can be swapped between generals by simply clicking the ancillary and dragging over to the person you want to have it. The run-down of how to do it is as follows.

Suppose you have generals Adam and Bob, and Adam has the ancillary "Balcksmith", but you'd like Bob to have it instead.
    1. Put Adam and Bob in the same stack (either together in a settlement or in the same army).
    2. Right-click Adam's unit card so you can see his traits and ancillaries.
    3. Left-click on Adam's "Blacksmith" ancillary and drag it to over the unit card for Bob.
    4. Release the left mouse button.

And vóila, now Bob has a blacksmith and Adam does not. So it is as simple as a click and drag, and the only thing to keep in mind is that the two fellas need to be in the same place in order to swap. Also note that no single character can have more than 8 ancillaries at once (my memory of the number might not be correct, but it is something around 8), and also not all ancillaries are swappable (though most are).
    Wow! all of the sudden my Campaign experience will change forever! Thank you Kilo!!

Yep, I also recall 8 as the limit of ancillaries. That also means, @ a dictator's Cigar, that if your king is ready to be crowned he need to have seven or less ancillaries. Altough crowns are a work in progress in SSHIP 0.96 and should be fixed for 0.97 release.

About the non-transferable: I think we could work on that aspect someday, as I find odd what is transferable or not. Like monk ancillary, if I recall, is not, I find it good for Great People, guildmasters and other prestigious ancillaries, it allows for role-play and more defined generals life choices, but monks?
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats

Quote Originally Posted by Belovèse View Post
    About the non-transferable: I think we could work on that aspect someday, as I find odd what is transferable or not. Like monk ancillary, if I recall, is not, I find it good for Great People, guildmasters and other prestigious ancillaries, it allows for role-play and more defined generals life choices, but monks?
    That's something really easy to change, you just need to go to the export_descr_ancillaries file, find the monk ancillary and change it to transferable.

Thanks Lusitanio for the info, I actually did that on my local install for some ancillaries. But actually I meant that we (the sship team) could update this for some future release, but it's just an idea to be discussed with the other team members.
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats

Okay, something needs to be sorted out about crowns - namely, it doesn't specify WHAT WINDOW an individual crown has to show it's requirements. Where is it? Is it the starting 'own these settlements' screen? Or something else in a different menu? I can't tell because the info blurb doesn't explain it properly.
    Alii inferre bellum, facientibus pacem.

Faction summary info - shortcut O
    then among three cards there's : Faction. And there's a map.

The proper maps are in 097.

Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; September 16, 2020 at 04:44 PM.

During my Sicily campaign my royal family grew it's first generation properly, however this first generation for some reason is not creating a second generation. the children of Rex Roggero whom all married reached their 50's and two of them are with healthy traits yet no children so far. is there an explanation for that? notice that throughout the entire first generation (8 generals) only 1 managed to have a child.

save game attached.112th.rar

I think there's an answer to this in the 097 - in an information window:

{INFO_NUMBER_OF_GENERALS_BODY}When considering how best to manage your royal line, an important issue built into the game is the limit of how many aristocrats (generals) you can have. The Medieval 2 engine adds children, spouses, and adoptions until the number of generals, princesses, and children is roughly equal to the number of provinces. This is not a fixed number, and there may be deviations of plus or minus a few generals. However, in general, if you have far more generals than provinces, you will not receive spouses or adoptions, and your current generals will not sire children. Moreover, this will be the case regardless of the fertility of your generals or princesses (once at the limit, fertility makes no difference). Thus, you will need to either take more provinces or wait until some of your generals die before you can gain any new family members. \n\nWith regards to the mechanics of marriage and the presentation of potential brides, the engine sometimes "fixates" on one character; i.e. it keeps on proposing a spouse for a general or princess for several consequtive turns, even if you keep on declining. This is also related to the ratio between the number of characters you have and the number of settlements you control, and indicates that your total character number is below that of your provinces. In this case you may either accept some proposal or accept that the number of generals will stay low for a period of time.
    {INFO_NUMBER_OF_GENERALS_TITLE}The Number of Generals

shikaka's Avatar Domesticus

In your opinion, which are the factions in the most final state, mostly finished, where you don't plan any major overhaul?
    I played a campaign with Hungary, but I would like to try something which is mostly comlete. Region doesn't really matter, but I would prefer not to deal with the mongols now. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by shikaka View Post
    In your opinion, which are the factions in the most final state, mostly finished, where you don't plan any major overhaul?
    I played a campaign with Hungary, but I would like to try something which is mostly comlete. Region doesn't really matter, but I would prefer not to deal with the mongols now. Thanks!
    From my perspective: Poland.

In the 097 changelog:

POLAND's historical redress (JoC)
    - a few historical events are introduced (Ostsiedlung (early 13th c.), first tournament, cracow_location (mid-13th c.), synod_of_leczyca (Council of Łęczyca: late 13th c.) to indicate the period of the military transition in the Polish roster. They have been used frequently in the coding.
    - Piast Nobles are available for much longer time (until Łęczyca), Polish Knights come later and also last longer, and Feudal Knights accordingly later. Furthermore, the technological change (Piast Nobles -> Polish Knights -> Feudal Knights) occurs earlier in the castles than in the cities but there's no difference between mountd and dismounted versions in time of disappearance. Piast Nobles are called Możni (and the foot version: Spieszeni Możni); while Polish Knights are Rycerze (and Spieszeni Rycerze).
    - Strzelcy (coded: Polish Shooters) appear after the Mounted Crossbow event (not Heavy Mail). That means they come much later than previously (turn ca. 170 instead of 100).
    - access to the Scouts unit has been added, and in certain regions (Prussia, Plock, Lithuania etc.) also to Northern Javelinmen (ex-Prussian Auxillia) (otherwised the stables would be useless for the first 170 turns).
    - unit "Polish Retainers" has been re-introduced in the game (they were there in SS6.4). Being a feudal unit, they're available from castles starting with the Heavy Mail event (turn ca. 100). The unit is called now "Pocztowi".
    - Poland has access to a few missile units, even though in low numbers. The Slavic Levy Archers (previously called Peasant Archers) and Forest Archers (ex Lithuanian Archers) are complemened with a very limited access to Archers (a generic unit that was also present in the SS6.4. It happens only after Ostsiedlung event, and the numbers are rising with Leczyca Council - at the expense of the Levy Archers). Another unit that has been made available is the Crossbow Militia (in low number, rising after Mounted Crossbow event) - while Mercenary Crossbowmen come much later to the Polish lands (only after Mounted Crossbow). The Hunters are available as mercenaries, as before.
    - Poland has access (again, as it was the case in the SS6.4) to the ex-Lithuanian Raiders (light horse archers), but only in the castles in Lithuania and Prussia (5 provinces) - thus in very limited numbers (1 every 11 turns per castle in perhaps 2 provinces). It also has access in the castles in those 5 provinces to the Prussian units (effectively 2-3 castles after conqering them).
    - removed recruitment of the Peasant unit (but keep in mind that the Peasant Archers are called Slavic Levy Archers and have 2 missile that makes them a viable unit).
    - switched castle vs. town between Plock and Wroclaw; getting rid of roads in Plock (these were dense forests at that time!), a school in Krakow (it was soon to founded, but perhaps not yet), and some other buildings. You need to build up Krakow before you get some ministerial offices.
    - resources completely re-done to be historical and good for the gameplay (trade income, placement of merchants).
    - some traits introduced for the initial characters to create initial loyalty problems (historically it lead to fragmentation from 1138).
    - the merchant and the diplomat start in Hungary that is at war Poland (but historically it was a very short-lived one).
    - all in all, in the hands of a player at VH, Poland is poised to deal with internal challenges: build up of the settlements, grow of population, and preparing for the change on the throne. Expansion is obviously possible (esp. Olomóc or Stettin), but these provinces may become a battleground against Hungary and HRE. Poland is already a medium-sized faction (5 settlements) so it gets no discounts for small factions eg. on the costs of a new leader. It needs a stronger economy for a successful expansion.
    - information windows pop out when Krakow, Wroclaw and Praga are occupied - this gives some historical flavour (text and pics).
    - a few new Medieval names and surnames were introduced, some were removed, and the Polish diacritical characters [ ó, ń, ę, ą, ś, ż ] will feature in the names of the Polish nobles (sadly, no ł ).
    * as for every other faction: Crowns requirements were fixed (and also an icon), Ministerial Offices introduced (with a special Palatinus for Poland).
    * pro memoria: for 096 names of the Polish provinces changed and Provincial Titles got revamped (names, benefits, icons).
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; September 18, 2020 at 04:22 AM.

I played quite a lot of 0.97 and campaign wise, every faction I played seemed polished enough to enjoy

I still hope for battle stats / unit costs / unit roster rework someday tho. I have pinned down several things that could be changed/enhanced if someone is ever intererested