Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

I don't know why, but in every single campaign - no matter what i do - i keep getting a lot of generals with very bad traits such deranged/skewed view and hypochondriac. I'd say 70-80% of them. It's very frustrating because reading the traits file the probability of having these traits should be reasonably low... But in the end a lot of generals get affected

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser29 View Post
    I don't know why, but in every single campaign - no matter what i do - i keep getting a lot of generals with very bad traits such deranged/skewed view and hypochondriac. I'd say 70-80% of them. It's very frustrating because reading the traits file the probability of having these traits should be reasonably low... But in the end a lot of generals get affected
    I'm sorry but there's one trigger that causes it.
    It's discussed here and it will be removed in the next version.
    And it was actually discussed two entries ago in this very thread.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; April 05, 2020 at 06:06 PM.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

thank you! i'm using my phone to navigate the site (and i hate it) so that's why i missed the latest entries in the topic...

Thorbjorn Jagelund's Avatar Foederatus

Is there any way I can check which units become available at which dates/events? Stainless steel has some info on their units but is it relevant also for sship?

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

It is true that it could be useful ! Personally, I build my mod over time based on the "early", "high", "late" and "all" units found in custom battles. But you have to do a case by case search to find out when a unit appears in the game. What I don't do so much is complicated ...

Yeah my experience is quite the same on these two traits. However, if by chance, the "hypochondriac" trait doesn't progress rapidly through its 3 stages, I think it can be reverted. If the general acquires a trait "feeling poorly" -the first step of hypochondriac-, getting him fighting and killing enemies personally that turn helped me to decrease the trait. If the trait happens rapidly and progresses through the steps without you can do anything about it -for example gaining all three steps of the trait in one turn-, then I don't think there is a way to remove it.

I haven't checked the codes or anything, just reverted a general who was feeling poorly before a battle and he was fine after it. Maybe there is a way to revert the other steps too, if so I haven't found them yet.

The deranged trait I have no solution to. Right now my prince is an utterly insane, dangerously deranged hypochondriac

Quote Originally Posted by Thorbjorn Jagelund View Post
    Is there any way I can check which units become available at which dates/events? Stainless steel has some info on their units but is it relevant also for sship?
    You can get into the code and decipher it.
    This may help you somehow (for discussion see the relevant thread on Poland):

the traits you're discussion will be fixed in the next version of the SSHIP - as I've mentioned several times, there's a bug in M2TW program I wasn't aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    You can get into the code and decipher it.
    This may help you somehow (for discussion see the relevant thread on Poland):

the traits you're discussion will be fixed in the next version of the SSHIP - as I've mentioned several times, there's a bug in M2TW program I wasn't aware of.
    Thanks for the link, I'll definitely have a look at it.

Also I've read your and others' posts about the fix and wasn't complaining just sharing my experience

Hi everyone!
    First of all, I would like to thank all those who participated in/are still creating this wonderful mod!
    I spent hundreds of hours in this (my favourite) mod since the very first releases and I gained a lot of strategic experience thanks to SSHIP campaign.
    Getting straight to the point, I would like to offer help in the development of SSHIP.
    What I mean in brief:
    I have little experience with graphical stuff like models/textures but I can implement already existing resources.
    I think that my main skill is dealing with text related files, basically what my fellow countryman Jurand does.

Lately, Jurand's and Kostic's (mainly but not only!) work inspired me to refresh my modding abilities and most importantly to write this post, for what I thank them a lot!
    If you would be interested, let me know.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Thanks for your offer. We'll discuss where your help can be used and will revert to you
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

A historical question sship developers, what is the more correct flag for HRE in the game? Now sship have the two eagle head flag(coat of arms and battlefield flag) but also i see in the game one eagle head flag... In Wikipedia the information is until 15th century was used the one single eagle head... So should be removed all two eagle heads flags in the game?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag...y_Roman_Empire

And same question about sicilians... what is the more historically correct flag for the game? Robert Guiscard flag, one eagle head but white background or the head of Medusa???
    Last edited by j.a.luna; April 10, 2020 at 07:04 AM.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Quote Originally Posted by j.a.luna View Post
    A historical question sship developers, what is the more correct flag for HRE in the game? Now sship have the two eagle head flag(coat of arms and battlefield flag) but also i see in the game one eagle head flag... In Wikipedia the information is until 15th century was used the one single eagle head... So should be removed all two eagle heads flags in the game?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag...y_Roman_Empire

And same question about sicilians... what is the more historically correct flag for the game? Robert Guiscard flag, one eagle head but white background or the head of Medusa???
    I'm actually eager to get to know it myself. It was done before I joined the team.

Blog Entries

Same for me but I think that it should get only one head actually. The double headed eagle came much later. Actually several factions need to be reviewed as their symbols aren't accurate for the game period (or at least for the 12th century).
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; April 10, 2020 at 08:04 AM.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

As sicily, stating from the campaign file, you should start with norman knights and dismounted norman knights. But when you start the campaign you have miles and miles pedites instead. The same applies for the rebel troops in Naples. Why that? Is it possible to recruit norman knights later?

Blog Entries

Thanks. That's another point that needs to be checked. I know it already

As sicily, stating from the campaign file, you should start with norman knights and dismounted norman knights. But when you start the campaign you have miles and miles pedites instead. The same applies for the rebel troops in Naples. Why that? Is it possible to recruit norman knights later?
    Have you played it for longer? Maybe it's the case of Poland - 3 consecutive improvements of the feudal troops? (as you may see in my Poland's chart in one of the previous entries in this thread)

i've played until turn 80 or so. the strange thing is that the norman knights in the descr_strat file simply "convert" into miles when you start a new campaign

i've played until turn 80 or so. the strange thing is that the norman knights in the descr_strat file simply "convert" into miles when you start a new campaign
    You aren't talking about the "Norman Knights" unit though, you are talking about "Norman Cavalry" (and same thing for the dismounted versions). If you look at the export_desc_unit.txt file, you will find both (Dismounted) Norman Knights and (Dismounted) Norman Cavalry. However, if you go to the export_units.txt file (in the folder \text), you will see that the Norman Cavalry units have as in-game name Miles, and Dismounted Norman Cavalry is Miles Pedites. So there are both types of unit in the game, and my guess is that the Knight versions are for the later game, and the Cavalry one (i.e. the Miles) are for the early era. I hope that clarifies what is going on there.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Aaah, mystery solved do you know when norman knights become recruitable for sicily?

Nemesis2345's Avatar Semisalis

I think after Heavy Mail event , should be no later than End of Early Medieval Age event