Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Beta Test Feedback

I reached turn 27 with Byzantium without CTD, still playing all battles.
    I don't know why but nothing happened when the basileus fulfilled all the conditions to become a legitimate ruler. I put my backup as an attachment: ERE 1145.sav If someone can check it out and tell me what's missing ...
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; May 14, 2021 at 12:10 AM.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: Beta Test Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by kostic View Post
    I don't know why but nothing happened when the basileus fulfilled all the conditions to become a legitimate ruler. I put my backup as an attachment: ERE 1145.sav If someone can check it out and tell me what's missing ...
    You Faction Leader is Totally Senile that prevents him from getting the crown. If you scroll through the traits, you see that he's Unfit for office.

One may think that there're errors in coding if he's so young - 58 - and already Senile. As a matter of fact, the risks for a general to get senile usually start at 62:
    ;------------------------------------------Trigger AlzheimerOld
    WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd

Condition IsGeneral
    and CharacterAge > 61

Affects Senile 1 Chance 3
    However, in certain situations they start ealier. There is a set of triggers that convey the idea that events in your life impact on your health. So what I see in the traits of your faction leader is he's having a touch time for his health. He's got Pneumonia that means he's Disased. So this trigger fires:
    ;------------------------------------------Trigger Diseased_When_Old
    WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd

Condition IsGeneral
    and CharacterAge > 54
    and Trait Diseased > 0

Affects TooOldToFight 1 Chance 3
    He's in Constantinople so maybe he stayed in the Polis when the plague hit the city (very common in Constantinople in my experience):
    ;------------------------------------------Trigger Plague_When_Old
    WhenToTest CharacterTurnEndInSettlement

Condition IsGeneral
    and CharacterAge > 54
    and SettlementHasPlague

I also see he's a bad health by his nature - he's got the trait Naturally Frail:
    ;------------------------------------------Trigger Plague_When_Old
    WhenToTest CharacterTurnEndInSettlement

Condition IsGeneral
    and CharacterAge > 54
    and SettlementHasPlague

So many risks - and he got Senile. Sorry, this one will die at some point, and then the next Faction Leader can get the crown. Take care of his health.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; May 14, 2021 at 12:11 AM.

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Indeed, my basileus caught pneumonia during the siege of Trapezous. He subsequently became senile.

I didn't know it was crippling to get the crown. I admit that I do not read all the lines with sufficient attention. In addition, as my English is quite basic, I am afraid that a number of subtleties escape me.

I admit that I do not read all the lines with sufficient attention. In addition, as my English is quite basic, I am afraid that a number of subtleties escape me.
    This is something I hadn't thought of for when I go about editing and embellishing descriptions. I guess a lot of our players aren't necessarily native English speakers, and perhaps my use of fancy language might impose a hurdle that is sometimes not worth having. What are your guys' thoughts on this? Should I continue doing the descriptions and flavor splashes as I have, or simplify things a bit to make sure nothing is lost in translation for those players who literally have to translate the text in their heads as they play? I can see the arguments both ways, and would be interested in hearing what other people think about this.

TL; DR: Less fanciness in the writing, or keep my style as it is?
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Personally I'd like fancier, as long as it doesn't break immersion or anything ofc.

Indeed, my basileus caught pneumonia during the siege of Trapezous. He subsequently became senile.
    I read pneumonia at first and my dumb brain instantly went like NOOO NOT KOSTIC , love your units man.

I reassure my supporters: I'm fine !

@kilo: For texts, do as you like. One day it will be time for a good translator to do a FR version of SSHIP.

Worth it to wait the 0.98 release to start a new campaign? Or will take a while for the release.

The team is fine and above all doing tests, but I think that we will soon be releasing version 098 because the one we are currently testing is very stable.

I am also waiting for .98 to start another campaign, but a stable update is worth the wait.

Serious suggestion: ensure every faction either starts with a diplomat or can recruit one at start. Being unable to engage in diplomacy hurts badly and is hardly historic.

Less serious suggestion: two years per turn. Most campaigns end long before the late-game units are available, because any decent player can either complete their victory objectives or become strong enough that all challenge and fun is gone and they quit out of boredom well before the 15th century rolls around. Changing from 6 months per turn to two years per turn means the late era units might arrive while they could still matter. This would also make the mongols much scarier, since everyone else would have much less time to build up before they arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmalk View Post
    I am also waiting for .98 to start another campaign, but a stable update is worth the wait.

Serious suggestion: ensure every faction either starts with a diplomat or can recruit one at start. Being unable to engage in diplomacy hurts badly and is hardly historic.

Less serious suggestion: two years per turn. Most campaigns end long before the late-game units are available, because any decent player can either complete their victory objectives or become strong enough that all challenge and fun is gone and they quit out of boredom well before the 15th century rolls around. Changing from 6 months per turn to two years per turn means the late era units might arrive while they could still matter. This would also make the mongols much scarier, since everyone else would have much less time to build up before they arrive.
    Actually, every faction can recruit a diplomat from the start in the capital but a few countries that do not have a town at the beginning of the game (Scotland and Serbia) get their diplomats.

Code:
    building city_hall{
      levels town_hall council_chambers city_hall mayors_palace
      {
        town_hall city requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, } and building_present_min_level builders builders2 and not building_present_min_level grasslands nomad_encampment
        {
          capability
          {
            agent diplomat  0  requires factions { northern_european, } and hidden_resource capital
            agent diplomat  0  requires factions { middle_eastern, } and hidden_resource capital
            agent diplomat  0  requires factions { eastern_european, } and hidden_resource capital
            agent diplomat  0  requires factions { greek, } and hidden_resource capital
            agent diplomat  0  requires factions { southern_european, } and hidden_resource capital

agent_limit diplomat 0		
            agent_limit diplomat 1 requires factions { all, } and hidden_resource capital

law_bonus bonus 2
            population_health_bonus bonus 1 requires event_counter new_era_begins 1		
    ;---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; UPKEEP/INCOME		
    		income_bonus bonus -50
          }
          material wooden
          construction  4
          cost  2000
          settlement_min large_town
          upgrades
          {
            council_chambers
          }
        }
    2TPY - fewer TPY : you may read here the arguments why we're unlikely to follow this advice.
    This is also why the Coming of Age is set to 14, and a general has a chance of dying from the age of 55 (it makes 82+ turns of him in game)

Back to this mod, kinda addict even if last time was a success of crashes that led to a complete ragequit and erase of the mods/game.

However, I reinstalled, tried EBII mod and did not crash, I was happy so I immediatly DL SSHIP and launched the English campaign that I wished to do last time.
    13 turns so far, no crash, it is promising.

Here one of my today's pleasure, from my first siege against the rebel castle at the west :

Screenshots : https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...1#post16025491
    Last edited by MikeFriks; May 16, 2021 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmalk View Post
    I absolutely do not want your suggestion. If I had a preference, it would even be to go to 1 tour per season (spring, summer, fall, winter).
    My arguments are those of realism: what sense would it have to move armies on the strategic map with such a lapse of time ? The slightest siege would last 2 years ? Would a crossing of the Mediterranean last 4, 6, 8 years ?

So, of course, you have to be patient to reach the late period, but it allows for real time travel.
    Maybe later we will repost a late campaign, but since the work on the early period isn't complete, it won't be for now.

Nemesis2345's Avatar Semisalis

2 years per turn is definetely something i dislike. I would have loved if the game would have been 4 TURNS per year , but i think its balanced as it should right now

Double post
    Last edited by removeduser_28376423423; May 17, 2021 at 09:10 AM.

Same, I play 4TPY.

I do get "superheroes", but then I don't really care about that aspect being more historical than it already would be in the submod, because most historical generals wouldn't be winning 20+ battles I guess, and I think it's not that easy to win many battles in VH/VH in sship without them dying, though iirc they currently have a lot of hitpoints, perhaps I would make them more vulnerable so you could have "heroes", but most of those who try get to pay with their lives.

Nemesis2345's Avatar Semisalis

Also , i wanted to ask the SSHIP team for a while :

As the mod grows larger and larger in both popularity and work , i feel we should make a dedicated Discord for this mod. I feel TWC is showing its age and it becomes harder and harder to communicate , especially if the webside gets offline from time to time. Many new mods like Bulat , Ancient Empires and 1212AD for Atilla etc. are using Discord as a form of communicaiton , and it does a good job overall. I could manage the server overall , and answer many questions or at least point the people to answers here .

If i could get your permission , then i could try making one and see if people gather up for stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis2345 View Post
    Also , i wanted to ask the SSHIP team for a while :

As the mod grows larger and larger in both popularity and work , i feel we should make a dedicated Discord for this mod. I feel TWC is showing its age and it becomes harder and harder to communicate , especially if the webside gets offline from time to time. Many new mods like Bulat , Ancient Empires and 1212AD for Atilla etc. are using Discord as a form of communicaiton , and it does a good job overall. I could manage the server overall , and answer many questions or at least point the people to answers here .

If i could get your permission , then i could try making one and see if people gather up for stuff.
    It is a good idea Nemesis! Sship developers and sship players/fans could talk about the mod and history in a easy way, it would be great!
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

@Nemesis : I like the idea. I have no experience with this app, but you're not the first to talk about it as a more effective way to communicate. It could be one more tool ...

In my opinion, we've got too little activity to be in need to communicate with Discord. There're not so many questions. TWC is enough for me. And everything you put on the TWC has a potential to have a long life, while on discord it goes into oblivion very soon. TWC is actually also more open to everybody - you don't need to join, you just see it in the internet. All in all, me, I'm not going to be active there.
    JoC
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

I'm with Jurand in this camp, I find Discord to be unfit for a modding platform unless you have an army of moderators who watch and pin down stuff so it doesn't vanish a second after you type it.

I mean just look at Divide and Conquer's discord. But sure it is popular though.
    Last edited by Just let me post; May 17, 2021 at 04:07 PM.